Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:17 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:12 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Several folks here have used the them and you only need to use 4 of the pins as the + and - are common and the 2 signal wires are separate. Search this thread for " MPX" and you should find pictures in some posts.
Thanks for that. I should have used Search. Durrrr. The extra piece is the connection housing which should give a neater finish. What would be nice is to have it so when the wings are attached the servos are connected automatically without having wires hanging out looking untidy. This might be hard because the pins look a little fragile. Anyway I will have to look at it and see if it can be used ti give a neater connection.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:08 PM
Kitchener, Ontario
Joined Jul 2006
12 Posts
Help with Radian Pro

I have flown RC for many years but am fairly new to sailplanes. I bought the Radian Pro and have crashed twice now. Both times, the plane gets into a fairly steep bank and I can't pull it out. Full opposite aileron doesn't seem to do anything and it quickly spirals into the ground. How do I correct for too steep of a bank without getting into a death spiral?

Does anyone know of a version of this plane that I can fly on my Phoenix sim for extra practice without having to use glue?

Thanks.
rwelder is offline Find More Posts by rwelder
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:19 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,926 Posts
Is it going into the steep bank by itself, or are you doing it? This plane sideslips and loses altitude fast when it is steeply banked. If it happens close to the ground there is no time to recover. Try going up high and put it into a spiral, and you should be able to pull it out. It is best to stay away from steeply banked turns until you are used to the way it flies.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:29 PM
Kitchener, Ontario
Joined Jul 2006
12 Posts
Not sure. 2 out of the 3 times I have been out with it I have found myself in a steep bank turn that I can't get out of. Seems fine until it gets into that death spiral. Do I need to use more rudder to control the plane? With my other powered RC planes you don't use the rudder much in the air and most turns are aileron/elevator controlled.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:29 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwelder View Post
I have flown RC for many years but am fairly new to sailplanes. I bought the Radian Pro and have crashed twice now. Both times, the plane gets into a fairly steep bank and I can't pull it out. Full opposite aileron doesn't seem to do anything and it quickly spirals into the ground. How do I correct for too steep of a bank without getting into a death spiral?

Does anyone know of a version of this plane that I can fly on my Phoenix sim for extra practice without having to use glue?

Thanks.
If the ailerons weren't responding, then there can't have been enough airflow over them, therefore it was a stall followed by a spin.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,508 Posts
Hi, rwelder.

One of the most common problems for new glider pilots, even those who have flown other planes, is simply trying to fly too slow. Among other things it causes one to lose control effectiveness especially with the ailerons. I set up gliders so that they drop the nose a bit while flying hands off so I have ample speed when entering a turn. Then I just use a little back stick when i want to slow it down in lift.

Good luck!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:39 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Do I need to use more rudder to control the plane? With my other powered RC planes you don't use the rudder much in the air and most turns are aileron/elevator controlled.
Definitely yes. When thermal soaring, the last thing you want to do is use the ailerons to bank steeply, because that immediately causes it to lose altitude. If you get used to using the rudder, you can do fairly flat turns, and even put in a little opposite-aileron to make them flatter. I sometimes use this plane as a video platform, and flat turns are ideal for keeping the horizon level in the video.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:20 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,170 Posts
Quote:

Thanks.
* What RC have you flown for years? Some background please.

* how fast were you going when this plane dropped into a bank by itself?

* Were you gliding or under power?

* How high were you? Did you have time to recover? Were you turning on final?

Where is your CG set. If you have the CG too far forward then the elevator probably has some up trim which will cause the glider to try and climb, but it can't so it slows and stalls. That is why you read so much in this thread about tuning the CG.

This is a glider and as such we assume you are flying with the motor off. A mistake often made by power pilots is to fly their gliders too slow and, with no motor to pull them out of a stall they don't know how to handle it.

In teaching power pilots to fly gliders I see this often. They stall and then agrivage the stall by pulling up. With a glider, if you drop into a stall you don't pull up, you push the nose down to gain air speed.

Yes, gliders can fly slowly but they still need airspeed. And with no prop throwing air over the surfaces that airspeed becomes even more critical. If you need more speed you push on the elevator.

Think about what you normally fly and how you are flying this glider and tell us about what is going on in more detail.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,508 Posts
What aejr said. Plus...

Do you have the brake set on your ESC? If your prop is windmilling it acts like an anchor.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:17 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
What aejr said. Plus...

Do you have the brake set on your ESC? If your prop is windmilling it acts like an anchor.
and, dare I ask...

Were you turning downwind at the time and stalled due to maintaining your ground speed instead of airspeed?

coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:33 PM
Kitchener, Ontario
Joined Jul 2006
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
* What RC have you flown for years? Some background please. Used to be glow powered planes about 15 years ago. Lately I have been flying some of the indoor stuff (Vapour, mini Cub) and a Parkzone T28 outside.

* how fast were you going when this plane dropped into a bank by itself? Not sure. Once it was in the spin it picked up quite a bit of speed.

* Were you gliding or under power? under power trying to pull out.

* How high were you? First time 60 or 70ft up. 2nd time only about 30ft up. Did you have time to recover? Tried to but no. I was able to cut the power just before she went in and cartwheeled. Were you turning on final? No

Where is your CG set. If you have the CG too far forward then the elevator probably has some up trim which will cause the glider to try and climb, but it can't so it slows and stalls. That is why you read so much in this thread about tuning the CG. Right at the spar/or slightly ahead. I put marks on the underside of the wing based on the manual.

This is a glider and as such we assume you are flying with the motor off. A mistake often made by power pilots is to fly their gliders too slow and, with no motor to pull them out of a stall they don't know how to handle it.

In teaching power pilots to fly gliders I see this often. They stall and then agrivage the stall by pulling up. With a glider, if you drop into a stall you don't pull up, you push the nose down to gain air speed.

Yes, gliders can fly slowly but they still need airspeed. And with no prop throwing air over the surfaces that airspeed becomes even more critical. If you need more speed you push on the elevator.

Think about what you normally fly and how you are flying this glider and tell us about what is going on in more detail.
Could be too slow, I guess. I didn't seem to be, to me.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:34 PM
Kitchener, Ontario
Joined Jul 2006
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
What aejr said. Plus...

No. How do you do that?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:36 PM
Kitchener, Ontario
Joined Jul 2006
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
and, dare I ask...

Were you turning downwind at the time and stalled due to maintaining your ground speed instead of airspeed?

The first time, I think so. The 2nd time I don't believe so.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:36 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,935 Posts
Quote:
Could be too slow, I guess. I didn't seem to be, to me.
Was the wind blowing? If yes, then at what speed?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...19&postcount=1
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection