HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:48 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
in a matter of minutes I was up to 750 feet and still climbing, though the plane looked like a spec.

Great plane. (BTW, get the TM1000 telemetry module and optional Baro Altimiter and you won't regret it, just makes the experience that much more fun when you can glance down and see exactly what you are doing for altitude, battery charge, battery temp, etc.)

Marlin
Did the TM1000 as soon as I got my DX8 almost a year ago. Have yet to beat my record of just over 900ft!!! I got scared 'cause it really was spec'd out so I headed back down to my "normal" 400'-600' cruising altitude, LOL!!! I'm still debating on putting the Airspeed Telemetry on the RP or figuring out how to install it on the F27Q Stryker, LOL!!!

So looking forward to flying her at night with the LED's & seeing up at altitude in the pitch black!! I know, not much lift at night right, but it'll be fun to take her up & cruise!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:58 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrico View Post
no.
no?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Sep 2008
279 Posts
I second that! I got a radian pro from my wife and it is a blast. I stuck it in a low cloud on thursday. it was exciting and scary! It needs a camera to go along with the altimeter.

I've read most of this thread and I have to say, my radian worked great right out of the box. no power issues, great climb, great plane. I'm having a blast with this thing.
dcwwcp is offline Find More Posts by dcwwcp
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:12 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Did the TM1000 as soon as I got my DX8 almost a year ago. Have yet to beat my record of just over 900ft!!! I got scared 'cause it really was spec'd out so I headed back down to my "normal" 400'-600' cruising altitude, LOL!!! I'm still debating on putting the Airspeed Telemetry on the RP or figuring out how to install it on the F27Q Stryker, LOL!!!

So looking forward to flying her at night with the LED's & seeing up at altitude in the pitch black!! I know, not much lift at night right, but it'll be fun to take her up & cruise!!!
I was thinking that the GPS sensor would be another great add on. Not as accurate in terms of altitude, but then you get location and speed. (Speed not an issue with my RP, but was thinking to put a TM1000 and GPS in my Hanger 9 Hellcat!)

I have a set of LED lights I was thinking HARD about putting on my RP just to try it out at night. Just double sided tape stick on LED's with their own batterys from the dollar store, but should make it look awesome at night. (Currently have a Wild Hawk with a TON of led lights on strips on it, looks like a Christmas tree at night in the air ... VERY cool.)

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:10 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
I was thinking that the GPS sensor would be another great add on. Not as accurate in terms of altitude, but then you get location and speed. (Speed not an issue with my RP, but was thinking to put a TM1000 and GPS in my Hanger 9 Hellcat!)

I have a set of LED lights I was thinking HARD about putting on my RP just to try it out at night. Just double sided tape stick on LED's with their own batterys from the dollar store, but should make it look awesome at night. (Currently have a Wild Hawk with a TON of led lights on strips on it, looks like a Christmas tree at night in the air ... VERY cool.)

Marlin
I used to put this GPS data logger in the flight deck of the RP:

http://www.amazon.com/Canmore-GT-730...ore+gps+logger

Thanks to JumpySticks for his help with suggesting this model as well as the setup with the .nmz file & getting it squared away on Google Maps (have you checked Jumpy's blog page, very cool & lots of info!)

I decided to go with the Contour RoamHD camera so I'm not going to use the GPS Data Logger anymore, I'm going to use Dashware for a HUD type display like Jumpy & a few other RP pilots have done.

Good idea regarding the LED's as a test! I'm a night flyer so I know I'll dig the LED's on her!! It's just a matter of me finding the time to do the install with the 3 kids and wife, LOL. Using JST connectors on the LED strips & than decided to try the JST-XH balance adapter for the power source directly off the flight pack instead of tapping into the wires going from the flight pack into the Rx. Got that from HK:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ad_6_JST_.html

If you do decide for night running don't forget to take some pics of your setup!!!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:13 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Feb 2004
58 Posts
Jovanx,

After having the stock spinner come apart once, I took to inspecting it regularly. That still didn't prevent it from happening again the other day.

Not to say you shouldn't inspect for cracks/wear, but it doesn't necessarily preclude self-destruction.
KLRico is offline Find More Posts by KLRico
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Feb 2004
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Have yet to beat my record of just over 900ft!!! I got scared 'cause it really was spec'd out so I headed back down to my "normal" 400'-600' cruising altitude, LOL!!!
Yeah, there's a limit where it goes from flying a plane to directing a dot.

I've recorded 1800 ft on my altimeter, but at that point I just let it fly itself and directed it with slight amounts of rudder. To come back down I put it in full crow and about 1/2 down elevator until I could see it again.

I'm slightly less inclined to push those limits again though, a few weeks ago I got sucked into a monster thermal and went into the clouds (~3000 ft), it was invisible unless the sun hit it just right. I lost it for a couple weeks until someone posted it in the paper. It wound up 2.5 miles away, but probably would have gone farther if I let it glide itself instead of putting it into a spin.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:03 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRico View Post
After having the stock spinner come apart once, I took to inspecting it regularly. That still didn't prevent it from happening again the other day.
What happened to cause the 2 incidents? Did something come loose, or did something break.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:08 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRico View Post
Yeah, there's a limit where it goes from flying a plane to directing a dot.

I've recorded 1800 ft on my altimeter, but at that point I just let it fly itself and directed it with slight amounts of rudder. To come back down I put it in full crow and about 1/2 down elevator until I could see it again.

I'm slightly less inclined to push those limits again though, a few weeks ago I got sucked into a monster thermal and went into the clouds (~3000 ft), it was invisible unless the sun hit it just right. I lost it for a couple weeks until someone posted it in the paper. It wound up 2.5 miles away, but probably would have gone farther if I let it glide itself instead of putting it into a spin.
This flight went to just under 2000' agl on a motor run to 470' and the rest thermal. There was a cloud above the plane which helped me maintain visual contact. When I ventured beyond the cloud to blue sky the plane would virtually disappear. I have solid black stick on trim under the entirety of both wings, and find that is the best color for high altitude visibility in most conditions. I wouldn't want to go much higher than 2000 feet with my eyesight. Your results may vary.

This is shot with a #11 keycam on the wingtip, logged with a canmore gps logger and video synched with gps data using Dashware.

Apologies to those who have already seen this.

22 Minute Thermal Flight to 1900'+(Part I) (13 min 22 sec)
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Sep 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:36 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
No apologies necessary Jumpy!! Always cool to watch your vids over again!!!! Forgot all about this video & 2000'AGL!!!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Feb 2004
58 Posts
That's an awesome video, JumpySticks! The data overlay is especially neat. What is the highest speed you've seen? I saw 50+ at the end of your video. I've done some high speed gliding passes with mine, I never clocked it, but I'd hazard a guess that I get up to the 50-60 mph range. I don't much care for that kind of speed though, the plane flexes so much I'm worried a quick flutter would tear it apart. Besides, it bleeds off speed so quickly, there's no satisfaction of doing a high speed flyby and then continuing on up for another few hundred feet...

Jovanix,
I've attached a crappy picture of what the broken spinners look like. It's no surprise that they fail where they do, there are significant centrifugal loads on that area, and there's only 2-3 mm of plastic holding it all.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:28 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Highest speed I have logged is a little over 60 mph.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:21 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
885 Posts
Connecting the wing servos has always been a pain in the neck. I am going to try these when they come into stock.

http://www.espritmodel.com/multiplex...sing-pair.aspx

http://www.espritmodel.com/multiplex...rs-5-pair.aspx

Has anyone tried them already?
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:33 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
No, but I just superglued three servo connectors together and affixed the block to the fuselage. Then I cut slots in the wings to tuck in the extra wires. The KISS method.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10355
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:17 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
600 Posts
RP maiden this Saturday

Have her out of the box and put together. Control surfaces neutral. AR800 installed. DX8 has the Spektrum setup downloaded.

Stock except for a McMaster CF wing spar and a 25 cent coin taped to the tail. cg of about 78mm. Horizon 1300 mah battery.

Have crow and camber figured out. What switche(s) combined with the Aux2 will give me reflex?

Have alot of powered model experience and have read this thread all the way to present. First glider. Preflight looks good except I would like to have reflex available for later since it should be programmed in.

Will probably throw her without power a couple of times to check out her behavior, then gently ease in a little power. Did the full-power take-off-loop thing with the SlowStick couple years ago (perfect landing at the point of take-off, no damage.) lol!
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik