HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:32 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Running out of spec, this is what you'd expect to happen.
Yup. The stock parkzone spinner kept cracking, flinging blades, ripping the nose off the plane, so I switched to a turbo spinner and 11X6 blades. The climb is much better than the stock prop, but the stock batteries could not handle the load.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:37 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Yup. The stock parkzone spinner kept cracking, flinging blades, ripping the nose off the plane, so I switched to a turbo spinner and 11X6 blades. The climb is much better than the stock prop, but the stock batteries could not handle the load.

Yeah, but completely predictable. Like I said, it ain't no big mystery, just keep 'em in spec and they last long.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:39 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Yup, no mystery.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
The aluminum hubs and spinners are for sure not going to bread but I hate the added weigh. The spinner and hub weigh 1.2 ounces more than stock. On top of that I had to add an ounce of ballast to the tail to restore the CG.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:38 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
The aluminum hubs and spinners are for sure not going to bread but I hate the added weigh. The spinner and hub weigh 1.2 ounces more than stock. On top of that I had to add an ounce of ballast to the tail to restore the CG.
I had to add weight to the tail too. Didn't like it but it beats having the front of the plane ripped off.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:07 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
I hope I don't end up eating these words...but for now I'm going with the assumption that the stock spinner and prop are ok if you inspect them regularly. I recently retired my original prop and spinner just on principle, after almost a year of heavy use. There were no visible signs of wear. The new ones are cheap and the ones with the double "_1_1" seem to pull better. You know me...I love to mod this plane, but like many other people, I hate to put extra weight on the nose of a nose-heavy plane.

The stock props are not without their weaknesses. The little nut that holds it all on is very small and goes onto aluminum threads. If it's too tight, the threads strip, (done that) and too loose isn't good either. I snug it up gently and put tape on it to keep it from rotating off and so far so good.

The biggest weakness is that the aluminum hex barrel does not fit tightly into the hex-shaped hollow in the spinner. That causes vibration and makes that little nut and threads do more work than they should. The fix is easy. Wrap the hex barrel with tape so the spinner just barely slips on with no slop.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:15 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I hope I don't end up eating these words...but for now I'm going with the assumption that the stock spinner and prop are ok if you inspect them regularly. I recently retired my original prop and spinner just on principle, after almost a year of heavy use. There were no visible signs of wear. The new ones are cheap and the ones with the double "_1_1" seem to pull better. You know me...I love to mod this plane, but like many other people, I hate to put extra weight on the nose of a nose-heavy plane.

The stock props are not without their weaknesses. The little nut that holds it all on is very small and goes onto aluminum threads. If it's too tight, the threads strip, (done that) and too loose isn't good either. I snug it up gently and put tape on it to keep it from rotating off and so far so good.

The biggest weakness is that the aluminum hex barrel does not fit tightly into the hex-shaped hollow in the spinner. That causes vibration and makes that little nut and threads do more work than they should. The fix is easy. Wrap the hex barrel with tape so the spinner just barely slips on with no slop.
My problem was not with the hex nut. It was with the arms that the blade mounts into. I occasionally land hard, and the arms can crack. When one blade flies off it gets really imbalanced and rips the entire front off the plane.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:34 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:08 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Graupner Cam 11 X 8 weighs less than the stock PKZ 9.75 X 7.5_1

Stock spinner and prop is 29g
Aluminium 50mm spinner and 11 X 8 is 54g
25g diff is just under 1 oz ( 28.35g ) and should not require an oz on the tail for counter balancing at the same CG. Perhaps half that. If you want to move the CG back; then more tail weight would be needed. You know, fulcrum with unequal arms and unequal weight staying in balance.

Weights here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=DBDE7...5DDCB92%211366
You are good with the numbers. I embedded a 1/2 ounce worm weight into the fuse just above the tail skid to balance out the spinner.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:04 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Feb 2004
58 Posts
Quote:
...but for now I'm going with the assumption that the stock spinner and prop are ok if you inspect them regularly.
No.
KLRico is offline Find More Posts by KLRico
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Feb 2004
58 Posts
Quote:
The new ones are cheap and the ones with the double "_1_1" seem to pull better.
I went to the store and bought a stock radian spinner & prop to hold me over until I buy an aluminum spinner. My new blades are the "_1" version, whereas my original blades were the "_1_1" type. They appear to be identical in dimension, but the "_1_1" blades are smoother and stiffer than the others. I'll have to flight test it this afternoon.
KLRico is offline Find More Posts by KLRico
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:08 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Has any one done the decelage mod to their pro version and can honestly say if done correctly, it makes a difference? I'm wanting to do this but don't want to buy the meters and spend the time to only wind up buying a new fues. I would like input from people who have actually done the mod, and your feedback on the performance afterwords, good or bad. Thanks.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Has any one done the decelage mod to their pro version and can honestly say if done correctly, it makes a difference?
There is an offshoot to this forum that was specifically set up to discuss the decalage mod:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...646181&page=99

The short answer to your question is that I have never read a report from anyone that has done it and was not happy with it. I have done it on a standard Radian and am very pleased with the result. My primary piece of advice is to measure twice before cutting any foam. Not all Radians come out of the box the same, so the measurements given by Paul Naton or anyone else may not be right for your plane. It is important that you do not end up with negative decalage.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:39 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Great flight report

Well, late into the season here but we have a very warm day (26 C) and I took the Radian up at the club searching for thermals. On my second climb out caught one at almost bang on 300 feet (just a hair below that actually) and in a matter of minutes I was up to 750 feet and still climbing, though the plane looked like a spec.

AWESOME thermal machine. Love the full house programability on my DX8. I eventually got a sore next and had to bring it down, but even the guys at the club were impressed at how well it thermals. For a simple BNF plane this thing amazes me and sure has gotten me into gliding.

Great plane. (BTW, get the TM1000 telemetry module and optional Baro Altimiter and you won't regret it, just makes the experience that much more fun when you can glance down and see exactly what you are doing for altitude, battery charge, battery temp, etc.)

Marlin
Fish99 is online now Find More Posts by Fish99