HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
"would say that powered flight really is but one mode with the RP, ie full power and up. I never run my motor for more than 30-seconds and never run it on partial throttle for more than a couple of seconds."

Same here, but with the experience level we are probably talking about, I just wanted him to know that trimming for glide won't be the end of it.
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:37 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,154 Posts
Hello all,

I wasn't sure which thread was the 'new guy has questions thread', so I posted in both.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a full-house powered sailplane. I need something that will fit in the car, so I'm looking at stuff in the 2-meter range. I do know that I want something with a wide flight envelope. Something that can handle, say, 20-30 MPH winds when properly configured, and can also be set up for catching thermals on calmer days. I'm not yet sure whether I'd rather go with balsa or foam - but so far, all of my planes that are larger than UM-size have been balsa. Nonetheless, reading about the RP & watching some of the videos perked my interest. How does the plane fare in higher winds & rougher air?

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:52 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Feb 2004
58 Posts
I don't really think the RP is the best choice for rough air. Under the conditions you're talking about, you can definately tell you're flying something made of foam.

It can be done, but you'd probably appreciate a stiffer/heavier airframe for that kind of flying.
KLRico is offline Find More Posts by KLRico
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:29 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I do know that I want something with a wide flight envelope. Something that can handle, say, 20-30 MPH winds when properly configured, and can also be set up for catching thermals on calmer days.
Here is a video of slope soaring with the RP in a fairly stiff wind. It has had a few mods (mostly replacing fiberglass with carbon fiber) to stiffen it up. Most people use a heavier battery for slope soaring, bit this was just with the stock 1300. This plane handles the wind very well for a foamy.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10303
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:58 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Quote:
"No sarcasm here, just honesty. A number of us have told you the RP isn't intrinsically bad and that you should get good results out of the box, but inspite of this and your lack of glider experience, you insist it needs mods. You have a good radio, but for some reason you haven't set it up fully for the RP. In the world of full house gliders you are expected to get your Tx sorted. You need to put much more effort in before you qualify to pass judgment, IMO. Not least, you need to learn how to find and utilise lift.
Quote:
I've picked up some infractions for telling people they were 'talking rubbish'.

Hi Gerry, Above are two quotes from your posts, first you deny using sarcasm, and one post later you poke fun at me.

Who is now talking rubbish?

Furthermore, I am not the one who says that the RP needs mods out of the box, I merely accepted all that Paul Naton says and explaines well by in his video (http://glidefast.typepad.com/glidefa...ree-video.html).

I did not go around looking for what modifications I could / should do, I was referred to this video by another person on this forum,

Unless you are (proof please) more experienced or knowleadgeable than Paul, then I preferr to take his advise if you don't mind.

Regarding the 2200Mah batteries, I've read many comments on this forum where people do fly the RP with these batteries, especially in windy conditions.

Now, this forum is about discussing the RP and in general sharing experiences and helping one another.
I am not in the habit of getting personal with anyone so I am now going to ask you once again: unless you want to be helpful (that includes sarcasm, and snide remarks ) please to refrain from answering any of my questions, comments etc. Rather ignore them and let us both move on.

As I said earlier, I am dissapointed with this glider. (The various reviews make it out to be far better than it seems to be), but I am going to make an effort to get it to fly well and I am very grateful to all those who contribute helpful advise.

Brgds,

Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:50 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Facts are facts, you used heavier than recommended battery and had a windmilling prop, so no wonder the sink rate was high.

Get those issues sorted, set up you radio properly and learn how to use the full house wing before passing judgement.

My comment aren't so much for you then for people who might be put of the RP by what you have said. You are siimply not qualified to pass judgement, IMO.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Sep 19, 2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:32 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Gerry,
The fact that you are answering shows that you do want to help, and you certainly seem to be rather fond of the RP.

I do appreciate your intentions, but please kee the sarcasm out of your comments.

How about we call it quits and keep our posts friendly and informative as they are meant to be?

Let's give it a try.

I'll be setting the reflex and camber as well as moving the CG to 80mm as a starting point and setting the ESC brake, then I'll try again (before going into the mods recommended by Paul)

The smallest battery I have is 1800 Mah, so it will have to do for now.

BTW, I checked with the owner of the LHS, (who is also an instructor)the ESC is set on soft brake. when I bring the RP for landings I noticed that the prop was not spinning. (I assumed that the brake was not set because I coud turn the prop by hand)

Any other suggestions?

Brgds,
Danny
Last edited by Danny_l; Sep 19, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
As I said earlier, I am dissapointed with this glider. (The various reviews make it out to be far better than it seems to be), but I am going to make an effort to get it to fly well and I am very grateful to all those who contribute helpful advise.

Danny
You have joined a forum of Radian fans who think it is a good product, as do most reviews. Although several of us have tried to help with your problems you continue to trash-talk it, so should not be surprised to get some push-back and maybe even some sarcasm. You would get much the same thing on almost any affinity-group forum.

As others have said the Radian is not well suited to high wind, and I would never recommend it to anyone looking for something to fly in 20-30 mph. Perhaps a heavier, faster slope-soaring ship would be a better fit for you.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi Dave,
I'm not trashing the RP.

I flew it in a mild 6MPH wind and hot conditions that should have provided more reasonably good gliding conditions.

The Video that you directed me to points out several mods that are (in Paul's opinion) a must before one can get the glider to fly well, so how am I expected to believe otherwise?

Back to the subject of sorting the RP, what is your ESC brake setting? (soft or hard braking?)

Brgds,

Danny
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:00 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hello all,

I wasn't sure which thread was the 'new guy has questions thread', so I posted in both.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a full-house powered sailplane. I need something that will fit in the car, so I'm looking at stuff in the 2-meter range. I do know that I want something with a wide flight envelope. Something that can handle, say, 20-30 MPH winds when properly configured, and can also be set up for catching thermals on calmer days. I'm not yet sure whether I'd rather go with balsa or foam - but so far, all of my planes that are larger than UM-size have been balsa. Nonetheless, reading about the RP & watching some of the videos perked my interest. How does the plane fare in higher winds & rougher air?

Joel
Joel,

You don't say in your post but I presume you are talking about slope soaring. Thermal soarng in 20-30 mph would be at the extreme limit of most high end thermal gliders. Except for a contest situation, wind speeds of that level would keep my thermal gliders in the racks.

You can weight up a Radian Pro with a steel rod inside the wing joiner rod, but I would consider 20 to 30 mph to be at the extreme limit of the RP for good flying on the slope. It is designed as themal soaring ship rather than a slope soarer. So the optimum speed range is to the lower end.

But as a plane that will do well in light slope winds that you can weight up for moderate conditions (10 to 20) I think it would be good.

It is not highly aerobatic. The roll rate is not high so if you want to do a lot of spinning and such, there would be better choices. But you can roll it.

The foam nature of the RP is fairly flexible as compared to a balsa or molded plane. If you have rough landing areas, foam is great.

If you are looking more for real performance, crisp aerobatics and high speeds I would think there are better choices.

Hope that is helpful.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Hi Dave,
I'm not trashing the RP.

I flew it in a mild 6MPH wind and hot conditions that should have provided more reasonably good gliding conditions.

The Video that you directed me to points out several mods that are (in Paul's opinion) a must before one can get the glider to fly well, so how am I expected to believe otherwise?

Back to the subject of sorting the RP, what is your ESC brake setting? (soft or hard braking?)Danny
You have said taht it is not nearly as good as the reviews make it out to be. If that is not trashing, what is it?

It is misleading to say that the mods recommended by Paul Naton are a must. It is important that newcomers understand that, and that it will fly nicely at a beginner level of performance as it comes out of the box, with the CG at the location called out in the manual. It will be somewhat nose-heavy but that is not a bad thing for the beginner because it makes it more stable and stall-resistant. As experience is gained the CG can be shifted aft to improve the glide ratio. The other mods that most people make, such as upgrading the push-rod clips and adding carbon stiffeners, are directed at making it stronger and more reliable.

Keep in mind that Paul is a highly experienced pilot looking to achieve peak performance. The more advanced mods such as changing the decalage are for that purpose.

My brake setting is for soft braking.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Sep 19, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:14 PM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Hi Dave,
I'm not trashing the RP.

Back to the subject of sorting the RP, what is your ESC brake setting? (soft or hard braking?)

Brgds,

Danny

I will try this one more time! As others have said, there is no reason to need or expect that you will have to make mods to get the RP to fly reasonably well. You should expect to spend some time getting the balance and trim right for gliding in still, or reasonably still, air as a starting point. With the larger battery you can expect it to be nose heavy and need lots of up trim to glide well. That means you will need wt on the tail to reduce the trim needed. As you move in that direction you will see the sink rate slow. I would still suggest that you don't look at the CG as a "setting" but rather something that results from getting the balance/trim right for good glide performance.
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi Dave,
Thank you for your reply.
My intention was not to offend or hurt the feelings of anyone here.

I may have misundertood you whe you directed me to the video, it made me think that unless I do all these mods I cannot expect much from the RP. (this is pretty much the message that Paul passes).

At the momentI am busy setting reflex and camber (as per the video, minimal throws, only the thickness of the trailing edge ), will set the CG again to somewhere around 80mm and use the lightest battery that I have (1800 Mah).

I will try it again over the weekend (Monday is a public holiday here so I'll have 3 consecutive days to fly )

Hi Eagle,
I fully understand what you are saying and I agree. the 80mm CG setting is only to have a point where to start.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Danny
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Feb 2004
58 Posts
Quote:
Hot days don't necessarily ensure thermals, you need a pretty good temperature difference between the ground and the air to drive the convection. Sunny, cool, and calm days are a good recipe for thermal soaring.

Or perhaps, it was a good soaring day, and you were just unlucky enough to find more sink than lift? It happens... Just yesterday I flew an hour and a half with only a couple climbs on the motor, I came down to take a break and replace the battery. When I went back up just half an hour later and couldn't find anything but sink.

There's much larger patterns of lift/sink at work than the little 10-yard wide patches that you find gliding around the park, maybe you had an unlucky day?
KLRico is offline Find More Posts by KLRico
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:00 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Gerry,
The fact that you are answering shows that you do want to help, and you certainly seem to be rather fond of the RP.

I do appreciate your intentions, but please kee the sarcasm out of your comments.

How about we call it quits and keep our posts friendly and informative as they are meant to be?

Let's give it a try.

I'll be setting the reflex and camber as well as moving the CG to 80mm as a starting point and setting the ESC brake, then I'll try again (before going into the mods recommended by Paul)

The smallest battery I have is 1800 Mah, so it will have to do for now.

BTW, I checked with the owner of the LHS, (who is also an instructor)the ESC is set on soft brake. when I bring the RP for landings I noticed that the prop was not spinning. (I assumed that the brake was not set because I coud turn the prop by hand)

Any other suggestions?

Brgds,
Danny
The brake only works when the battery is connected. You can hear a little whine if you flip the prop with a brake setting of soft or more. If there is no brake you will hear no whine from the motor when you flip it.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks