SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:45 PM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
Mine arrived today.

Yes, the topmost wing in the box has a slightly warped aileron. It looks to me this is caused at the packaging stage of production. The packing tape over the aileron pulls it down against the control horn holding the other end up. Over time this puts a set in the aileron. Horizon might want to go through the boxes and correct this sooner rather than later. I imagine the longer they sit taped down like this the harder it will be to get the set out.

Good news is just pressing it flat on a table with a little weight holding things straight has removed almost all of the twist. A little wedging it up past center for a while should let it relax back to its original profile. In any case I'm not returning it given the odds of getting the same thing, maybe worse, again. If I was at a LHS I'd say "let's look at another one" but doing mail order returns till I got a perfect one is just not worth it to avoid the minor hassle of straightening this one. Especially this time of year.

Everything else looks fine. Anyone who thinks THIS fuse is floppy hasn't seen the original. The Pro is noticeably stiffer and straighter. The plastic wing mount insert should eliminate the breakage of that thin fuse section over the wings. Instead of everyone asking about putting the Pro wings on the original Radian they should think about putting their old wings on this fuse.

Probably won't get to do much more with it till after Thanksgiving. I'll also be installing an Optima 7 rx and using an Optic 6 tx. The rx install does look like it's gonna take some figgerin out but it will go in there, one way or another. The ailerons appear to already be set up with mechanical differential (for the y-harness users no doubt).

......Mike

ps...just checked it after about an hour of pressing it flat on the table. Looks fine, certainly flyable.
MS_in_NY is offline Find More Posts by MS_in_NY
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:09 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
I received mine today as well. I guess I got lucky as my wings and control surfaces show no warp. Can't wait to get it in the air, but it doesn't seem like the weather is going to cooperate.
NCHeliHead is offline Find More Posts by NCHeliHead
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:10 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
376 Posts
Ok I flew it today. It was a little windy. I forgot to check if the elevator servo was reversed and when I launched it I did a loop right into the ground. Not too much damage fuse slightly cracked and the tail came off. I was determined to fly so I reversed the servo, added some tape to the tail (wasn't going to use rudder initially) and flew it for about a half and hour. She fly really nice and it was actually pretty easy for me to land even with wind.

She penetrates nice into the wind and turns slow without any tipstalling. I am looking forward to do more flights. And do more testing of my flaps/crow. It's not an ideal setup with my 2.4 eclipse 7 setup but I am starting simple with flaps on the y. I tried a more complex programming setup but I couldn't get things like the flaps to line up.

I put CA hinges on the rudder when I returned home. Much better than factory.
mnavarro is online now Find More Posts by mnavarro
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:12 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS_in_NY View Post
Mine arrived today.

Yes, the topmost wing in the box has a slightly warped aileron. It looks to me this is caused at the packaging stage of production. The packing tape over the aileron pulls it down against the control horn holding the other end up. Over time this puts a set in the aileron. Horizon might want to go through the boxes and correct this sooner rather than later. I imagine the longer they sit taped down like this the harder it will be to get the set out.

Good news is just pressing it flat on a table with a little weight holding things straight has removed almost all of the twist. A little wedging it up past center for a while should let it relax back to its original profile. In any case I'm not returning it given the odds of getting the same thing, maybe worse, again. If I was at a LHS I'd say "let's look at another one" but doing mail order returns till I got a perfect one is just not worth it to avoid the minor hassle of straightening this one. Especially this time of year.

Everything else looks fine. Anyone who thinks THIS fuse is floppy hasn't seen the original. The Pro is noticeably stiffer and straighter. The plastic wing mount insert should eliminate the breakage of that thin fuse section over the wings. Instead of everyone asking about putting the Pro wings on the original Radian they should think about putting their old wings on this fuse.

Probably won't get to do much more with it till after Thanksgiving. I'll also be installing an Optima 7 rx and using an Optic 6 tx. The rx install does look like it's gonna take some figgerin out but it will go in there, one way or another. The ailerons appear to already be set up with mechanical differential (for the y-harness users no doubt).

......Mike

ps...just checked it after about an hour of pressing it flat on the table. Looks fine, certainly flyable.
yes mine had this "Fault" too if you look at the vid you can see it, i took mine out and was fuming and straight on the net sending an email to MF, by the time i had finished fuming, i noticed it had started to come out by it's self, i gently massaged it and it was nearly all out, i then put the wing out in the sun for 5 and then massaged it some more, walla all gone

have a look at this photo and you can see it's just a lousy worker who need the sack as they have pulled down on the tape way too hard and forced the foam to bend the aileron

although i was extremely peeved when i opened my box i soon got over it when i had it fixed and the Pro flys just fine as you have all seen

this would be a very hard one to pick up in Quality Control as said i bet it's just one heavy handed worker, but i guess it's the ol story, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:22 PM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
... but i guess it's the ol story, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
LOL, my thoughts exactly.

It's not like this is a $2k competition bird, it's a $200 foamy parkflyer. And you're right it probably would have fixed itself overnight in the warm house. It looks fine now.

......Mike
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:44 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,018 Posts
Quote:
LOL, my thoughts exactly.

It's not like this is a $2k competition bird, it's a $200 foamy parkflyer. And you're right it probably would have fixed itself overnight in the warm house. It looks fine now.

......Mike
Yeah but so much for RTF or BNF. Its more like BNW and wait till the wing straightens out. That looks like a poorly designed box if they can do that. Even if it is not a competition machine, 250 bucks is still a lot of money to folks. Think about these things sitting in the warehouses and stores for weeks, months, and I bet it would be much harder to get out.

Make sure you guys let them know these problems your seeing! Maybe they will have the packing problems fixed before I get mine
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:47 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,113 Posts
WOOOOO! just got mine home from the store. Time to start programing the 9303...
verticalspark is online now Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shooting my AR pistol
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:34 PM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
Even if it is not a competition machine, 250 bucks is still a lot of money to folks. Think about these things sitting in the warehouses and stores for weeks, months, and I bet it would be much harder to get out.
I knew I was opening that door.

$200 ain't pocket change to me either. I wasn't suggesting anyone accept a 'damaged' product no matter how slight or easily fixed. I would not have taken this one 'over the counter' without at least demanding to see a couple other examples. But the cost/benefit to ME of mailing it back to Horizon falls in their favor, this time. I can certainly understand if others feel differently.

I agree, the longer these sit packaged this way the less likely it will be that they just go back to shape by themselves, or at all.

The plant manager should know exactly WHO taped them down like that. But that's only the solution for the next batch. Don't know what the logistics of un-taping this first load would be but it might be a good idea to do it.

.......Mike
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:58 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,113 Posts
so other than the reccomended setup on the DX6,7 and 8 has anyone programmed one on a 9303 yet?
verticalspark is online now Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shooting my AR pistol
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:42 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,018 Posts
Quote:
I knew I was opening that door.

$200 ain't pocket change to me either. I wasn't suggesting anyone accept a 'damaged' product no matter how slight or easily fixed. I would not have taken this one 'over the counter' without at least demanding to see a couple other examples. But the cost/benefit to ME of mailing it back to Horizon falls in their favor, this time. I can certainly understand if others feel differently.

I agree, the longer these sit packaged this way the less likely it will be that they just go back to shape by themselves, or at all.

The plant manager should know exactly WHO taped them down like that. But that's only the solution for the next batch. Don't know what the logistics of un-taping this first load would be but it might be a good idea to do it.

.......Mike
lol, To be honest, I am with you on that to. I would hate to have to mail it back to HH the day I get it. heck, my dx6i has never been sent back in to fix the trainer plug. They sent that notice out to me the week I got it and I said screw it, I aint buddy boxing anyone on this thing so I aint worried about it.

HH should send out an alert to all the hobby stores to check their current stock and fix it if its already like that. Not sure if that is even possible, but could help them in not getting back a bunch of them.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:12 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfly View Post
Hey all,

The DX8 program is up on the Spektrum site and the support tab on the Radian Pro product page on HorizonHobby.com

Here is my 12X setup. My airplane was built from spare parts so my servo arms may be in a slightly different spline position than stock. I also increased my flap throw by moving the pushrod out on the servo arms.

This was just a quick program I set up in about 15 mins for the video and I have flown it a few times since and have not adjusted anything.

First I have my 6 channel receiver:

ESC into throttle
1 aileron into ail
elevator into elev
rudder into rudder
Y harnessed flaps plugged into gear
other aileron into AUX1

In the device select menu I have aux2 and gear inhibited INH and flaps on SYS.

In the flap system menu I have

FLAP ELEV
Normal U34% 0%
MID D32% D 26%
LAND D103% D 58%

Delay: 0.5sec

My mixes are as follows.
MIX 1
AUX2 -> FPRN
POS (0) POS (1)
+24 +0
+25 +0

MID and LAND are both checked to 1

MIX 2
AUX2 -> FLAP
POS (0) POS (1)
+23 +0
+17 +0

MID and LAND are both checked to 1

MIX 3
GEAR -> FLAP
POS (0) POS (1)
+0 +0
+125 +0

MID and LAND both checked to 1

MIX 4
GEAR -> FPRN
POS (0) POS (1)
+0 +0
-99 +0

MID and LAND both checked to 1

MIX 5 (elevator compensation for CROW)
GEAR -> ELEV
POS (0) POS (1)
-44 +0
+0 +0

This is how it works.
My AUX 2 switch that controls camber (down) and reflex (up) and normal flying (middle).
My FLAP switch is a 3 position flap
My Gear switch engages and disengages CROW

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
so other than the reccomended setup on the DX6,7 and 8 has anyone programmed one on a 9303 yet?
Matt's setup should be easy to duplicate on the 9303. I'm going to try his first, before I get too involved with "full house" glider programming. I can always save a copy and experiment.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:17 PM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
...heck, my dx6i has never been sent back in to fix the trainer plug....I said screw it, I aint buddy boxing anyone on this thing so I aint worried about it.
LOL, same here. I figger if it ever breaks or I decide to sell it I'll send it in then.

Well I've spent a little time turning my Optima 7 rx every which way. I gotta hand it to Horizon, they are really good at making sure installing anyone elses gear in their planes is a royal pain in the @zz.

I'm sure I could make the Optima 7 fit but it might require cutting out some foam in the servo compartment or mounting it right next to the ESC (probably very bad idea). I think I'm gonna try the smaller Optima 6 instead. I only have the Optic 6 channel tx anyway so I don't really need to use the O7 rx.

If the DX6i was capable of proportional flaps/crow I'd just stick an AR6200 in it and be done.

.......Mike
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:30 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,352 Posts
Why are you worried about the 2.4ghz rx and the rec? 2.4 has show.itself to be impervious to the interference that would cripple a system on 72 mhz?
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:33 AM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
Why are you worried about the 2.4ghz rx and the rec? 2.4 has show.itself to be impervious to the interference that would cripple a system on 72 mhz?
If that's directed at me...

Whether mounting a 2.4 rx right on top of an ESC is feasible or not it means running a wad of servo extensions up past the battery and into the front compartment. I'd rather not.

.....Mike
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:48 AM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
Whoa, the PNP version is already 'out of stock' at Horizon. Due middle of Decenber. That was quick.

......Mike