Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:23 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus_uk View Post
9.5mm carbon tubes are very difficult to source in the UK. This is only place I have found.

http://www.polyfibre.co.uk/index.php?sec=prod&prod=207

is this the right stuff? bit confused by the description - "Pultuded Carbon fibre reinforced Plastic tube"
Have you tried an archery shop?
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:29 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Have you tried an archery shop?
Please correct me if I am wrong about this, but I remember you got an arrow shaft that was the right size, but it was only marginally stiffer than the stock spar due to the thin walls. Then you found another arrow shaft that fit inside and that did the trick. Did you glue them together?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:13 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
926 Posts
Anyone know the weight of the stock RP 950kv motor?
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post
Anyone know the weight of the stock RP 950kv motor?
I don't have one to check but someone else posted that it weighs 104 grams. FWIW I use a Turnigy 3530-1100 that weighs 77 grams.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus_uk View Post
..... is this the right stuff? bit confused by the description - "Pultuded Carbon fibre reinforced Plastic tube"
That is the type of tube I use, but I get them from a US source that sells kite-building supplies.

http://www.goodwinds.com/merch/list....ultrudedcarbon
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:22 AM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
FYI the buzzer is not nearly loud enough to do any good for locating the plane. Will look for another.
I bought a lost model alarm for my Weasel and found the same thing. You can hear it one you get about 20' away but by that time you usually can see it without the alarm.
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:54 AM
Team Horizon Hobby - Surface
Renton
Joined Sep 2006
92 Posts
Received my BB Turbo 50mm spinner/hub and 11x7 prop this weekend and installed them. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

Does it appear to anyone else that this plane could actually use a bit larger than 50mm diameter spinner?? There is still quite a step between the spinner and the fuse. The stock spinner is actually 50.8mm...
Darin Jordan is offline Find More Posts by Darin Jordan
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:02 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Changed UHF and VHF twice
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:05 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong about this, but I remember you got an arrow shaft that was the right size, but it was only marginally stiffer than the stock spar due to the thin walls. Then you found another arrow shaft that fit inside and that did the trick. Did you glue them together?
You are correct. The ultra light x-cutter (.5oz) .380 arrow shaft alone was super light, but not much stiffer than the original fiberglass shaft. I found a shaft for a crossbow which fit precisely inside the ultra light shaft, and I cut it about 6 inches shorter than the ultra light shaft. I had to sand it slightly to fit inside the x-cutter shaft, and it slid in so snugly that I did not need to glue it. So what I have is the crossbow shaft inside the x-cutter shaft up to the outer 3 inches on each side. The outer 3 inches in each wing is only the x-cutter shaft. The whole assembly is about 1.5 oz. It probably would be easier just to find a .375 or .380 diameter crossbow shaft at the local archery shop IMHO.

Most archery shafts are too small in diameter, or not quite stiff enough, but crossbow shafts are a bit stiffer and bigger in diameter.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Jan 2004
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
I don't have one to check but someone else posted that it weighs 104 grams. FWIW I use a Turnigy 3530-1100 that weighs 77 grams.
thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Jan 2004
926 Posts
Remaiden went OK, but the stabilization is set a little too high so it went up and down. Not sure why the video quality is so poor compared to my local copy. Hmmm.

I also didn't realize the sound was not working. Really this is just a test of the system to get familar before moving to a bigger plane with longer flight times. In the video at 5:47, I did realize I almost had a mid air with a TREX up high I didn't see up. Yikes! And I was flying with my eyes!

Radian Pro FPV Maiden (8 min 47 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by eroeder; Aug 27, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:52 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Remaiden went OK, but the stabilization is set a little too high so it went up and down. Not sure why the video quality is so poor compared to my local copy. Hmmm.

I also didn't realize the sound was not working. Really this is just a test of the system to get familar before moving to a bigger plane with longer flight times. In the video, I did realize I almost had a mid air with a TREX up high I didn't see up. Yikes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAcpnU0qo8A
Nice video!

Either you had power on full time, or you should adjust the brake setting on your esc. Looks like the prop is freewheeling? If so, that's a lot of drag.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Jan 2004
926 Posts
Hard or medium brake? Is the quicker stop hard on motor mounts?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:55 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Hard or medium brake? Is the quicker stop hard on motor mounts?
Trial and Error.

It looks like you have to maintain a higher than normal airspeed to lift all that gear, so I would just adjust it upward until it stops spinning. Airspeed with the stock plane is around 16-20, and yours looks like its 25-30, so the prop never gets a chance to stop at motor cut off. I'm guessing you had flaps down toward the end of the video, so the airspeed is closer to 20 there, but the prop still does not stop.

If you are using the stock esc, it has at least 6 or maybe 9 different settings and comes medium IIRC.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Aug 27, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Jan 2004
926 Posts
Any one know how many poles is the stock motor? Detailed specs are tough to find. Ugh!
RCG Plus Member