HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:16 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
1,001 Posts
Love the RP Pro, but ready to pump it up beyond the carbon spar, tail stiffing, rehinging, etc...

Motor Test
(stock with BB turbo and CAM 10x8)
max - 235watts
23amps

Weight (I'll say...)
3lbs 5.25 oz. (3.33lbs) with cg at 75mm with 2200 MAH batt to power all systems.
1508g
Stock is 34oz, this is 53.2oz

Spektrum 8 channels
Throttle, Rudder, Ailerons, Elevator, Flaps, PAN, OSD1, OSD2

ReadymadeRC pan/tilt, 1.3MHZ Video system, Eagle Eye base station.

Eagle Tree OSD, GPS, altimeter, airspeed, stabilization

Performance Calc
70.27 watts/lbs (wish I had a more...)

No 3D for me. Good thing there is a steady 10kts on the field. It is like launching off a carrier. Just proof of concept before moving up to a bigger bird to try UHF Long Range.

Tomorrow is the big day!
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by eroeder; Aug 26, 2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: .
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:49 AM
Joined May 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post
Love the RP Pro, but ready to pump it up beyond the carbon spar, tail stiffing, rehinging, etc...

Motor Test
max - 235watts
23amps

Weight (I'll say...)
3lbs 5.25 oz. (3.33lbs) with cg at 75mm with 2200 MAH batt to power all systems.
1508g

Spektrum 8 channels

Performance Calc

No 3D for me. Good thing there is a steady 10kts on the field. It is like launching off a carrier. Just proof of concept before moving up to a bigger bird to try UHF Long Range.

Tomorrow is the big day!
Wow, that RP has more electronics per square inch crammed into it than a stealth fighter. Nicely done!
Mooes is offline Find More Posts by Mooes
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:51 AM
KAE
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Jan 2010
219 Posts
Video from my flight yesterday.
I was struggling with the editing until I heard the news and found the music, so I scrapped everything and started over.

A Flight for Neil (4 min 38 sec)
KAE is offline Find More Posts by KAE
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAE View Post
Video from my flight yesterday.
I was struggling with the editing until I heard the news and found the music, so I scrapped everything and started over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZHH0M-sXkw
Awesome Video
Thanks for sharing that
Nice music too
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:08 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post

Motor Test
max - 235watts
23amps

Weight (I'll say...)
1508g

Spektrum 8 channels

Performance Calc

Tomorrow is the big day!
Let me know how it turns out. I'm wanting to get into FPV and you may be my go to guy. You have more elcectros on that thing than my quad flyer. Good luck, and happy flying.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:39 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Where is a good place to learn about FPV?

Never mind, i found the section on FPV. Didn't know it was here.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:57 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,412 Posts
Flying together, my son and I

My son and I flew yesterday together for Neil at our club field, Rocket City RC, in of course Huntsville, AL. The flight line was a big mix, from a 40% extra, to a couple 2m electric pattern guys and then my son with his micro cub and my RP. John had a great time even thought the wind was a lot for his micro cub. I had a couple of nice long flights with the 2200 battery . We even flew in a pattern together when I came down low over the runway with my son in flight position 5 and I in flight position 4 and one of the pattern ships in flight position 2.

A sad day for our country and even sadder given there is no real human space flight goals my son can look to for inspiration.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:59 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Where is a good place to learn about FPV?

Never mind, i found the section on FPV. Didn't know it was here.
Fpvlab.com aswell, lots of reading equals less interference and crashing
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:16 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
A sad day for our country and even sadder given there is no real human space flight goals my son can look to for inspiration.
A sad day indeed, considering the next people to go into "space" will probably be tourists paying big bucks for the privilege of riding in a high-flying plane.

Yesterday I attended the funeral for a friend who battled cancer for 10 years and eventually lost. We spent a lot of time together in the 70's and 80's camping, fishing, mountain climbing, and skiing. After the funeral, I took the RP up to the ski hill hoping to get some slope soaring in, but there was not a breath of wind, even at the top. I flew it anyway, and thought about Tom.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:04 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
there is no real human space flight goals my son can look to for inspiration.
The way it stands now, China will end up with a lunar base before the US.

You're right, and I wonder what inspires our children these days???? Virtual reality is not nearly as exciting or satisfying as real exploration.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:12 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRico View Post
JumpySticks, definately terrible news about Neil Armstrong, isn't it? I have so much respect for the work he and the other space pioneers did... Have you seen the TV documentary "When we left earth"? It details the whole early space program, I think I've seen it 10x and it never bores me.

Eroeder,
I'm strongly considering some sort of beacon in my next sailplane. Anything would help. The area I suspect it went down is pretty much nothing but tall grass & weeds.

The good thing about being in the Air Force is having some connections. I asked one of the helicopter guys I know if he could keep an eye out for it when they're flying around the area; and right now that's really my best bet for finding it.

In any case, good luck with the FPV!

While shopping for wires & stuff to set up the lights for night flying, I picked up a cheap, 12 volt buzzer at Radio Shack. I'm taking off the led wings and putting the clean thermal wings back now. Night flying is not that much fun.

I think I will make use of the on board switch to operate the buzzer for normal thermal flying. Maybe it will help me relocate the plane if I lose sight of it. Also, if the plane goes down in a field or woods or something, and assuming the battery/radio weren't damaged, the buzzer would sure help to locate the plane.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:38 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,170 Posts
The buzzer sounds like a good idea and it's cheap and light weight. What about the telemetry/GPS option. The telemetry receiver in your hand would give you the present position, or the last-known position if the signal was lost. That should enable you to find it with a hand held GPS or smart phone. My sympathy goes out to the 2 guys who lost their planes this week. I came very close myself.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:01 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
The buzzer sounds like a good idea and it's cheap and light weight. What about the telemetry/GPS option. The telemetry receiver in your hand would give you the present position, or the last-known position if the signal was lost. That should enable you to find it with a hand held GPS or smart phone. My sympathy goes out to the 2 guys who lost their planes this week. I came very close myself.
I connected it to channel 7 and have 7 linked to the crow switch.

Yes, the switch and the buzzer were very cheap at $6.63 for the switch:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8833

And the buzzer was $3.59 at Radio Shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102817

Total price was $10.22 plus tax. I have it all hooked in now, and it works fine. I think I will look around for a buzzer or maybe a siren that is even louder. Might be fun to have a siren.

This one looks good in reviews, but not sure how big it is.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...62405#inTheBox
Last edited by JumpySticks; Aug 26, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
175 Posts
9.5mm carbon tubes are very difficult to source in the UK. This is only place I have found.

http://www.polyfibre.co.uk/index.php?sec=prod&prod=207

is this the right stuff? bit confused by the description - "Pultuded Carbon fibre reinforced Plastic tube"
cirrus_uk is offline Find More Posts by cirrus_uk
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:21 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
While shopping for wires & stuff to set up the lights for night flying, I picked up a cheap, 12 volt buzzer at Radio Shack. I'm taking off the led wings and putting the clean thermal wings back now. Night flying is not that much fun.

I think I will make use of the on board switch to operate the buzzer for normal thermal flying. Maybe it will help me relocate the plane if I lose sight of it. Also, if the plane goes down in a field or woods or something, and assuming the battery/radio weren't damaged, the buzzer would sure help to locate the plane.
FYI the buzzer is not nearly loud enough to do any good for locating the plane. Will look for another.