Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,440 Posts
That's probably the safe bet, Steve. Of course, someone with direct knowledge of the RP might know how much you can get away with and if there's any advantage.

More Cheers! (I push started a stranger's motorcycle and he insisted on giving me 10 bucks so I'm starting the weekend a couple hours early!)
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:40 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Hey guys, I have my RP set up with flaps and crow on a DX6i. How do I set up flaperons? I know I'll loose the crow (ailerons up) but I would like to experiment.
If you want to experiment, here are the options you can have with a DX6i (but not all at the same time) This is assuming the throttle is on a stick...
3-position flaps, full-span camber, full-span reflex, or crow. The only thing you can't do with 6 channels is have full-span ailerons (you need 7 for that). Enjoy.

So far my experience has been that the flaps are so effective you don't really need crow, and the plane is fast enough you can get by without reflex. I've been going back and forth between camber and 3-position flaps as being the 2 most useful options.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:54 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Jovanx, can you explain how you have your radio set up? I agree with you. I just want flaps and camber seeing how i'm limited with this radio (DX8 is in the near future).
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:39 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
I get it, I cant have full span camber and flaps at the same time with a DX6i. Right?
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:47 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi, av8ersteve.

You want to be careful with flaperons on a glider. Moving the ailerons down adds "wash in" and can create a serious tip stall problem. It's not always dangerous, depending on the plane, but you should experiment at altitude before you try to make the last turn onto final approach. Most people who droop the ailerons use it to increase camber and maximize lift. This only takes a couple degrees of throw and is not generally used in landing configuration. That's why maximum crow is flaps down and ailerons up. This configuration makes the center of the wing stall before the tip and that's a good thing.

Cheers!
You can set up camber so that the flaps drop a little more than the ailerons, which maintains wash out at the tips

That's how I set mine up. I first select camber to set up for landing, then modulate additional flaps as needed(on the left stick in the glide mode). The ailerons are always deflected down less than the flaps. I don't use full span aileron, since the flaps really don't go up much anyway, and the side that drops tends to create pitch and yaw problems. I'd rather just let the ailerons do their job with mechanical differential. Also, with the stiff CF spar the ailerons are much more effective anyway.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:22 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Feb 2004
58 Posts
RIP Radian Pro...

I lost my RP to the mother of all thermals today.

There were tons of well formed cumulus clouds today, and right after the first climb I found a hawk circling, and went to join him. I rode that thermal up to about 800 feet (as judged from previous flights with an altimeter onboard) Then I started heading upwind to look for the next one.

Suddenly, everything on the ground went ape$*#! and trash was flying through the air, leaves, the flags with poles attached were plucked from peoples' porches, everything was just flying around and up. I'd say the wind on the ground approached 30 MPH. My poor RP was right in the middle of it all. I first tried to dethermal with a 90 degree dive and full crow mix, but it was just flying backwards and up. I started to loose orientation because it was specking out so I just threw the sticks in the corners to put it into a spin. It was still climbing...

I have 20/20 vision and I've recorded 1,800 feet on the altimeter, which I considered specked out before, but this was at least twice as high, and to make it worse, it was WAAAYYY downwind. It was virtually invisible, I couldn't see it aside from the points when the sun would reflect off the wings.

I had zero chance of bringing it back, so all I could do was put it into a spin until it dropped below my line of sight. I went back home and grabbed my GPS and plotted a course line from where I was to where I last saw it. I then headed out on my motorcycle and did my best to zig/zag along the course line. I covered 45 miles, and went 5 miles out (as a crow flies), but never found it.

I wish I had telemetry so I could home in on it, but it is what it is... and it's gone.
KLRico is offline Find More Posts by KLRico
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:13 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Got er all set, throws as per manual, should i have my first flight like this with the trailing edge being one smooth line? No camber on flaps or ail.... This i think would give me a good idea of cg and trimming needed no
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:11 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRico View Post
I just picked up a used BNF RP last friday and I'm loving it.

I've probably flown it 15-20 times so far and it's easily achieved 1 hour flights on the stock battery. I haven't found too many things in this hobby that are as rewarding as specking out a glider...
....and nothing more disappointing than losing it......

Oops....couldn't resist.

Did you have your name tag/phone number on the plane?
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Feb 2004
58 Posts
^^

LMAO! Such foreshadowing!

I guess you really can have too much of a good thing!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:16 PM
Sloper padawan
Boulder, CO
Joined Sep 2009
95 Posts
Quote:

I covered 45 miles, and went 5 miles out (as a crow flies), but never found it.

I wish I had telemetry so I could home in on it, but it is what it is... and it's gone.
Ouch. That smarts.

If I were you, I'd check the lost & found section of your local Craigslist. People can sometimes be altruistic, and if I found a piece of equipment that obviously fell out of the sky and looked like it was valuable to someone, I'd throw out a few feelers on the intarweb just to see if I could find the owner. Craigslist is the closest thing to a local bulletin board we have.

Another idea - If you've got any aeromodelling or flying clubs in the area, ping them to see if anyone has called them to see if they are missing a beat up Radian Pro. (Okay, I'm just assuming it's probably beat up based on your described method of landing.)

I understand how this sort of thing leaves you a little bummed. Best of luck locating it.
Erasmas is offline Find More Posts by Erasmas
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:17 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
KLRico
Sorry for your loss. I almost lost a plane last winter but found it after 5 hours of searching. It was the next day that I found it, so I went to bed thinking it was gone. Last week I came very close to losing the Radian Pro in the river, with a $220 dollar camera on board. A tactical mistake on my part allowed it to disappear behind a line of big trees and only throttle, a guess at elevator, and luck saved it.

elliott000
That is the way to go. Set all the control surfaces to neutral and then try to trim it to glide hands-free. That will probably mean having the CG further back than the factory setting and maybe some weight on the tail. Don't worry about what it does when under power, but try to get it to glide without porpoising.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Feb 2004
58 Posts
Erasmas, those are good ideas, I think I'll give it a shot.

I'm a little less than optimistic though, a good portion of the land in the area is just weeds and tall grass. I guess it's best to not give up hope though. I'll keep checking craigslist, and I'll probably go out on a few more rides to try and find it.

Jovanx, I'm sure that was a heart stopping moment!
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:17 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Here is a flight I did today at the ski hill. This is my second time slope soaring, and the first time was at the same location but with snow on the ground and no video. It was so windy, I almost didn't launch it, but after hiking all the way up there, the decision was made to take a chance. It was a blast, and if I had been dressed a little warmer, it could have stayed up all day. If nothing else, it is a good demonstration of how rock-solid the wings are with the CF spar in place.

The AUW was a little less than stock weight, and it handled the wind fairly well. Next time, I'm going to try a heavier battery or some ballast in the wing.

Radian Pro slope soaring at ski hill (4 min 18 sec)
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:30 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
237 Posts
Quote:
Feeling your pain KL...

I lost mine today in unexpected outflow wind. It really stinks to see it disappear over the treeline. I have put out a Craigslist ad already. Gonna walk the area again in the morning.

--Jason
Jasong911 is online now Find More Posts by Jasong911
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,566 Posts
Quote:

There were tons of well formed cumulus clouds today, and right after the first climb I found a hawk circling, and went to join him. I rode that thermal up to about 800 feet (as judged from previous flights with an altimeter onboard) Then I started heading upwind to look for the next one.

Suddenly, everything on the ground went ape$*#! and trash was flying through the air, leaves, the flags with poles attached were plucked from peoples' porches, everything was just flying around and up. I'd say the wind on the ground approached 30 MPH. My poor RP was right in the middle of it all. I first tried to dethermal with a 90 degree dive and full crow mix, but it was just flying backwards and up. I started to loose orientation because it was specking out so I just threw the sticks in the corners to put it into a spin. It was still climbing...

I have 20/20 vision and I've recorded 1,800 feet on the altimeter, which I considered specked out before, but this was at least twice as high, and to make it worse, it was WAAAYYY downwind. It was virtually invisible, I couldn't see it aside from the points when the sun would reflect off the wings.

I had zero chance of bringing it back, so all I could do was put it into a spin until it dropped below my line of sight. I went back home and grabbed my GPS and plotted a course line from where I was to where I last saw it. I then headed out on my motorcycle and did my best to zig/zag along the course line. I covered 45 miles, and went 5 miles out (as a crow flies), but never found it.

I wish I had telemetry so I could home in on it, but it is what it is... and it's gone. :
(
Wow that is bummer
I have always feared that something like that wwould happen to my R P someday
I have lost a helicopter that way a few years ago
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr