HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:25 AM
Hong Kong, Discovery Bay
Joined Apr 2011
233 Posts
Great video quality and thank heavens for the "save". Awesome scenery, any chance of a pic of your video setup?
744drv is offline Find More Posts by 744drv
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:56 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 744drv View Post
Great video quality and thank heavens for the "save". Awesome scenery, any chance of a pic of your video setup?
Here is a pic of the camera:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10108
Mounted on plane:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12764
The mount itself, shown with a different camera:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8362

It definitely flies better with the camera turned sideways as in the video, but I prefer the videos taken with it pointing forward, as in the pictures above.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:49 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
props

Hey guys, are these going to be alright on the pro?
http://www.v-eastonline.com/products...x20-cm%29.html

Graupner has been my choice on my quads.... I saw another guy using this setup. Flew nice
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:52 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,776 Posts
That's what I use on my RP along with the BB Turbo Aluminum Spinner:

http://www.espritmodel.com/bb-alumin...ropellers.aspx

Didn't realize there was a Turbo Spinner & just Spinner. So I got the Turbo which has an open front for cooling which doesn't do any cooling 'cause the RP has a solid firewall, but no biggie, can't see it up at altitude & it doesn't look that bad. Don't feel like spending $28 for another spinner, LOL
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:07 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Sep 2006
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
Hey guys, are these going to be alright on the pro?
http://www.v-eastonline.com/products...x20-cm%29.html
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the spinner size for the Radian Pro should be "50mm diameter x 4mm shaft x 8mm shoulder"
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post18882334

From what I understand, the above linked Graupner spinner is for a 38mm diameter.
Quasi_Mojo is offline Find More Posts by Quasi_Mojo
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:28 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
I dont have the plane in my hands dam job... But will I need a new spinner to run the graupners?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:56 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,776 Posts
Hmmmm, those are the exact props that I have on my RP and I even had to make the hole larger on the blades to fit the spinner??

But you are correct Quasi, the measurements are 50/4/8.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:56 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
That's what I use on my RP along with the BB Turbo Aluminum Spinner:

http://www.espritmodel.com/bb-alumin...ropellers.aspx

Didn't realize there was a Turbo Spinner & just Spinner. So I got the Turbo which has an open front for cooling which doesn't do any cooling 'cause the RP has a solid firewall, but no biggie, can't see it up at altitude & it doesn't look that bad. Don't feel like spending $28 for another spinner, LOL
rcoconut, my RP does have cooling holes in the firewall..yours doesn't?
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:36 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Sep 2006
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
I dont have the plane in my hands dam job... But will I need a new spinner to run the graupners?
You can use the stock Radian Pro spinner, but the holes in the Graupner props will have to be drilled out to 3mm so that the stock pins will fit the props. Some have used a small washer on the trailing edge of the hole in the prop as a spacer so that the prop folds back properly.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post17234569

I bought my Graupner props by themselves from I-Care, here in Canada.
http://www.icare-rc.com/propellers_f...acement_blades
1329.25.20 10 x 8 (6mm root) $9.45
Quasi_Mojo is offline Find More Posts by Quasi_Mojo
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:12 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
rcoconut, my RP does have cooling holes in the firewall..yours doesn't?
You know, I was quoting another pilot from the beginning back when I got the Turbo Spinner that said that spinner does nothing for use and should order the "regular" spinner. You would definitely know more regarding details with the RP. I guess I could look at the manual huh?? I'm sure mine would have the front cooling holes if yours does?
Last edited by rcoconut; Aug 21, 2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: words added
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:05 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
You know, I was quoting another pilot from the beginning back when I got the Turbo Spinner that said that spinner does nothing for use and should order the "regular" spinner. You would definitely know more regarding details with the RP. I guess I could look at the manual huh?? I'm sure mine would have the front cooling holes if yours does?
I wasn't sure either, so after reading your post I checked, and saw the holes in the firewall. When I ordered the turbo I also purchased a regular spinner, but the turbo seemed a little lighter, and I liked the idea of extra cooling. Especially after I found that the new prop tended to heat up my stock parkzone batteries more than the stock prop. I have some higher rated batteries now and have no heating issues any more.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:54 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean.roberts View Post
As promised, attached is my Radian Pro program for the Hitec Aurora 9. I have only had an opportunity for a quick maiden and test this morning so no guarantees on the settings (ie. not sure if the aileron to rudder mix is sufficient or not.)

The way I have this setup is;
Standard servo to channel mapping;
  • Ch1 Aileron 1 (left)
  • Ch2 Elevator
  • Ch3 Aileron 2 (right)
  • Ch4 Rudder
  • Ch5 Flap 1 (left)
  • Ch6 Flap 2 (right)
  • Ch7 Throttle

Elevator and Flap 2 are reversed.

Both flaps are assigned to the Central Trim (CT) to enable the servo midpoint to be offset allowing a little up for reflex and aileron to flap mix and maximum down. I then moved the connecting rods to the second up from the bottom hole on the flap horn to increase the throw. To get max throw from the flaps for Butterfly, I use 125% throw in the mix and use the adjust function (assigned to RT) to increase this further.

Dual rates for Aileron, Elevator and Rudder are all assigned to switch C giving three sets of rates. Switch up is max throw, middle and low are as per instructions.

Four additional flight conditions; Speed (switch E = reflex and elevator trim), Thermal (switch E = camber and elevator trim), Launch (switch B = motor enabled via throttle lock assigned to same switch) and Landing (switch D = butterfly enabled on throttle stick)

Camber mix is assigned to the Left Trim (LT). This way I can use the camber trim to implement reflex in Speed mode and camber in the Thermal mode. Ideally I would like to have camber on a slider but then I can’t figure out how to get full trailing edge offset to enable reflex and camber in Speed and Thermal modes.

Motor is assigned to switch F. I have swapped the momentary switch from H to F for this purpose. By using throttle lock assigned to switch B, I have a safety built in and motor only works in Launch mode.

Aileron to Rudder mix is on switch A. Not yet sure if the setting of 30% is correct. More testing needed.

Finally, Aileron to Flap mixing is enabled in all modes with differential settings to match the mechanical diff of the ailerons.

Any questions or suggestions for improvements please let me know.

Cheers
Dean

question is since im new is it possible to have one of the flight modes use the motor on the throttle stick? on this setup in any mode the motor is full throttle only on switch f

thanks
Last edited by elliott000; Aug 21, 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:41 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
278 Posts
Is it possible to under prop at high elevations? I ask because I am using an Aeronaut Cam 11x6 and pulling less than 20 amps peak from the stock motor. I am at 6000 ft.

--Jason
Jasong911 is online now Find More Posts by Jasong911
Last edited by Jasong911; Aug 22, 2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:58 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong911 View Post
Is it possible to under prop at high elevations? I ask because I am using an Aeronaut Cam 11x6 and pulling less than 20 amps peak from the stock motor. I am at 6000 ft. --Jason
For sure. I notice a difference in power between flying in the valley at 1700 feet and flying at the ski hill at 5500 feet. A few days ago I went up there with a couple of friends on a super-hot day, and we hiked up past the ski hill to an alpine lake that is surrounded by awesome scenery. I was so excited about the prospect of getting some serious slope soaring in, and we all had cameras.

As I was digging things out of my pack, I started to get this sinking feeling. After the pack was completely empty, it became apparent that the wing spar was still in the truck. I was so stoked to fly, that I contemplated carving one out of a willow stick, but common sense prevailed.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
278 Posts
That really stinks, Jovanx. I have felt the shame and the "you are ****** kidding me", forgot the spar blues here, too.

Should I go up in pitch, or diameter?

--Jason
Jasong911 is online now Find More Posts by Jasong911