SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Nov 2006
15 Posts
Horizontal Stab Mounting

All I can say Cadders is that you have very sharp eyes to have noticed those screws! They could probably take installing and removing as long as care was taken not to over-tighten. They're self-tappers, not machine screws and might eventually enlarge the holes.

Raften is correct; it's not a quick-removal system. The stab is not normally removed as the process of assembling the wings and connecting their servo wiring is tiresome enough by itself. Looking at the curve of the elevator pushrod in the photo reminded me that I've been meaning to relocate the control horn closer to the fuselage. The airplane really needs that ply reinforcement across the evevator halves in my opinion. Don't ask me how I know.

The Radian fuselage is a little too compact for all the plugging and unplugging required. I fly a Multiplex Fun Cub too and it's interior is cavernous by comparison. A fortune awaits the man who comes up with a miniature multi-pin connector.
K_Biker_Bill is offline Find More Posts by K_Biker_Bill
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:41 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Sep 2006
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Biker_Bill View Post
The Radian fuselage is a little too compact for all the plugging and unplugging required. I fly a Multiplex Fun Cub too and it's interior is cavernous by comparison. A fortune awaits the man who comes up with a miniature multi-pin connector.
I was one of those who did the velcro wing attachment mod to my RP - the wings are a cinch to put on and plug in using this type of mod. Where I used two servo extensions for each wing, others have used one four pin connector for each side.

Check out my mods here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9919
Quasi_Mojo is offline Find More Posts by Quasi_Mojo
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:28 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,075 Posts
Quote:
The airplane really needs that ply reinforcement across the elevator halves in my opinion. Don't ask me how I know.
+1000! Every Parkzone plane needs something to beef up the narrow waist between the halves of the elevator. I use a U-shaped piece of wire, but I'm sure the plywood works just as well. All of my planes have that mod, and it has nothing to do with crash-proofing and everything to do with performance. Why make do with half an elevator when you can have a whole one? The difference is amazing.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Nov 2006
15 Posts
Wing Servo Connections

Quasi_Mojo offered up his mods at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9919

I thought I had gone through most ideas shown in the forum but missed the velcro plan somehow. It's a cool idea; but the best is your servo connector mod. I was up past midnight copying the scheme and anticipate being in the field and ready to fly much faster than in the past. I just hope no royalty paymemt is due.
K_Biker_Bill is offline Find More Posts by K_Biker_Bill
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:32 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Sep 2006
47 Posts
Quote:
I just hope no royalty paymemt is due.
I'm just glad to be of help. I copied the idea from another user, anyway.

If you're looking for more mods that others have done, an easier way to browse the thousands of posts on this site is to try a Google image search using the "site" parameter: site:rcgroups.com/forums +"radian pro"
Quasi_Mojo is offline Find More Posts by Quasi_Mojo
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:26 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Just about finished my radian,i added some paint today,been having some a hard time dialing it in,i never flew a sailplane maybe thats why,yesterday i had it out and it was blowing pretty good so i took it up and was flying and no problem she was blowing all over the place then i thought lets try this dive thing again,threw it into a full power dive the wind tood it and she spiraled down would not come out,threw the flaps on but did not help went into some high grass no major damage,fuse split in the middle, i had two things going on before i flew it she was very nose heavy and the motor was angled to the right a bit,i the mount was a bit crooked when i put it back on ,since i have straightened it and now am trying to get the COG down,i added some weight to the back today but did not have much time a storm came rolling in so i only got a 5 min flight,i balanced it at 3 1/2 in that short flight she seemed tail heavy,so i lightened her up at the tail and balance it at 77mm and it seemed a bit better but it was so windy i have to wait til tomorrow to check it out,that was with a 2200 mah,and had a keychain cam on the nose,i did a load of mods to her ,thanks to quasi i read his last night as i was fixing the fuse and added the velcro and glued the servos leads under the wing,works great,also added carbon rod down the top of the fuse from front to back,i am going to pull the stock fiberglass ones on the bottom and add carbon rod there,,that should give me some strength and tail weight,added carbon to the rudder and the back and front of the fuse,put on the homemade servo cover,added some ply to the bottom of the elevator and moved the horn in ,ran some packing tape on the leading edge and on the bottom of the wing,i have the 4 pin mod on the elevator and with Quasi mod its a cinch to take apart and reassemble, also have dubro pin hinges in the rudder,,cant wait to take her out and get this cog down,i hope that helps with this out of control dive thing,well see.,here are some picks of her painted up,thanks again Quasi_Mojo that was a nice mod and saves time and aggravation assembling the wing at the field

Ron
snoopy3440 is offline Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Jul 2012
16 Posts
Hi all,well ive just joined this forum,,ime from Northam W.A.I purchased a Radian Pro the other day,,put it together with no probs,,first Maiden flight was nervous but no bingles :.Put it back in the air this morning,after i gathered enough hieght i trimmed it up and it flew beautifly,,,pushed it hard and flexed the wing tips a bit,,it will loop well,,barrel roll was slow,,if your new to this glider fly it around for a while so you get the feel for it,,and yes it is forgiveing,,i love it,i used to fly a scanner low wing sport about 5yrs ago and have just taken the sport up again,,,ime really happy with my Radian,,,purchased from ACE Radio Controll,,Midland Perth,,, Safe Flights All
Emil in Oz is offline Find More Posts by Emil in Oz
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:27 PM
RC addict
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
Brand new RP, unexplained crash

I have just finished mine (Perth, AUS) and on the first day took it easy. 3 starts and 2 good and one not so good but safe landing.
The first mod I did is putting in servo wire extensions male/female for flaps/ail, cause it's a real pain to fiddle the connectors in every time you mount the wings. I have tweezers handy to thread them trough. I can live with that.
Next time, almost calm day, I took it up again, bit higher, and found it was not as nicely balanced any more.
I played around with the trim but it got worse and I had to correct with the elevator all the time. Then it started descending and I couldn't pull it up. It crashed at about 30 deg. angle
When I assessed the damage (broken elevator, hull near the back, motor mount, one prop, on one aileron the servo had jumped by about 45 deg.) I found that the prop was actually lose! The nut was never properly tightened, and shouldn't it be a stop nut anyway? It must have rattled along badly. It sounded still OK at the start though.
I am at a loss to explain what caused the dive. If the prop was loose there must have been vibrations. The elevator must have broken in the crash, I hope. I would feel much better if I had an explanation.
Otherwise the RP was fun to fly and flaps and crow is a handy thing to have. But I didn't want to get into fixing it so soon...

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil in Oz View Post
Hi all,well ive just joined this forum,,ime from Northam W.A.I purchased a Radian Pro the other day,,put it together with no probs,,first Maiden flight was nervous but no bingles :.Put it back in the air this morning,after i gathered enough hieght i trimmed it up and it flew beautifly,,,pushed it hard and flexed the wing tips a bit,,it will loop well,,barrel roll was slow,,if your new to this glider fly it around for a while so you get the feel for it,,and yes it is forgiveing,,i love it,i used to fly a scanner low wing sport about 5yrs ago and have just taken the sport up again,,,ime really happy with my Radian,,,purchased from ACE Radio Controll,,Midland Perth,,, Safe Flights All
scarborofun is offline Find More Posts by scarborofun
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:45 AM
Joined Jul 2012
16 Posts
Sry to hear your crash Tony,,Strangley last night i was going over the Radian checking settings etc and i too found the main shaft nut was nearly all the way off!!Tightened it and put a dob of super glue on it,The first flight i found i had to put in heaps down trim,,on my second flight i positioned the Battery pack as far as it will go towards the back,,,they say CG is 70mm back from leading edge,,it flys like a pussy cat now,,hope you get it back up Tony,,being my first glider i reckon i got good value for money cheers Emil.
Emil in Oz is offline Find More Posts by Emil in Oz
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:57 AM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Has anyone given an explanation as to why this goes into a dive and does not come out,i did a search and read many people have had the same thing happen but maybe i missed what the reason was,the 2 times it happened to me i intentionally put it into a steep dive after reading about this happening to others i wanted to experience it for my self and see whats going on,do not want to put all this fpv gear on a plane that is going to self destruct .the first time i did it i was flying slow and i nosed it over and in went into the dive i had no elevator response and i dropped the full flaps and it came out ok the other day when it did not come out,it was blowing pretty good and i was moving along pretty good to keep from being blown all over, so i put it into a pretty fast and steep dive .but nothing more than any other plane i have would have come out of,but she kept going down even after i dropped full flaps,i was was even on the rudder when i saw it was not coming out,i think i hit every button on the radio at that point LOL ,after that crash i did notice the motor mount was not straight ,[not from the crash,motor mount was mounted angled ]and i am using a heavy bat 2200 mah so maybe that had something to do with it,and it was very nose heavy before launch,but nothing extreme,so this morning i am going over the field to try some different cog i centered the motor,adjusted the cog and am using a 1800 mah smaller lighter bat,
but if anyone has any info on why the radian does this i am all ears,it seems a lot of people have had this happen,i just like to know if i am doing something wrong or need something adjusted,i even thought about extending the elevator,i saw this mod on the easystar,

thanks Ron
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Just got back from 2 flights,all i have to say is WOW,now i know why people love this plane,especially for video,she flew a lot better today,and i flew her better today,no high speed dive,just to nice a day to chance it,LOL just slow and relaxing,this time i set cog at 77mm and she flew like a dream,all my turns were initiated with rudder to keep it smooth,it was an 11mph wind and i took her up and dropped flaps to first setting i guess about 20 degrees,this seemed the most stable,she would just sit there inching forward,then slowly rise,i had the keychain cam on there and i would aim it wherever i wanted and just sit and do video of that area,it was like i had a camera stand 500 ft up LOL pretty amazing, i had my time still set for six min which is what i used for some of my other planes,i heard it beep then just ignored it and was having such a great flight i looked down and it said 16 min up,i could have stayed there all day but i had the camera on there and did not want a gigantic file,so i brought her in and hit full flaps on landing and she started to back up a bit,LOL and then just set her down in front of me ,second flight was the same flew about 30 min and could have stayed there all day,sunny with a few clouds and 11mph wind just right,
i am sure that those dives had a lot to do with the cog and my inexperience as a glider pilot,but today i changed my approach on the controls and she flew great,i forgot to how many mah she used but i did check the volts and on the 1800 i was just under 12,and the 2200 i was at 12:10 so i still could have gone a lot longer,i did do some high power climbs in the beginning to get to altitude, also it helped a lot with it being painted,i could easily see the top from bottom with the blue and yellow and the white and black stripes,still going to do a lot more stick time on her before i put the osd and wireless camera on there,but it defiantly a step in the right direction,before i used an apprentice and she was a decent camera platform but nothing like the way this thing stops in the air and just sits there or climbs on 0 power my apprentice has flaps but i still had to give some power to maintain altitude.looking forward to some more flights later today.thanks again quasi you mod is sweet,i have a full size Chevy PU and she fits in the back assembled but its nice to be able to break it down and put back together in minutes

Ron
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:18 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,075 Posts
Hi snoopy

I'm glad to hear you finally had some good flights, as this is a sweet plane. In your post yesterday, you said you "threw it into a full power dive" and then it wouldn't come out. This airframe is just not built for that. Even with no power you could get into trouble in a vertical dive. My plane is stronger and stiffer than stock and I like to push it beyond what it was intended for (thermal soaring with gentle movements), but I would never dare put it into a powered dive. I like to do short dives to build up speed for a loop or to do dive tests, but those are not vertical and the prop is not spinning.

You should try it out with a 1300 battery. Even with that, most people have to put weight on the tail to get the CG to 77mm. I have also read many reports of uncontrolled dives and wondered why they are so common. Maybe it's because we like to fly it high and it could start diving and you might not realize it until it is going too fast. The elevator is pretty flimsy out of the box, and combined with the flexible fuselage, there could come a point where pulling out would be impossible.

I have spent a lot of time flying mine at low elevation so I can see exactly what it's doing. Now it is trimmed so that even when it is a speck, I can be confident that if I release the controls it will enter into stable flight by itself.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:19 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:53 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
In addition to odd flexing of the tail at these higher speeds as a possibility, could it be the wings deforming too? I never remember wash-in from wash-out and which one the RP has but if this should change under higher speeds, higher G's etc... could this contribute to the problem?
Good idea. The RP has quite a bit of washout, which means the tips have less angle of attack than the roots. A combination of washout, high speed, and the flexible stock wing spar could certainly cause the wings to tuck under. A stiff CF spar definitely makes this plane fly better, at any speed.

The closest I ever came to losing control was one time I had it quite high and it started going crazy. I thought a clevis must have failed and it was going upside down and diving and I had no control. When it got lower down, I could hear the motor running. I glanced at the TX and realized I must have accidentally bumped the throttle stick to about the middle. As soon as the throttle was cut, I was able to get it back under control, but I figured it was a goner for sure.

It's ok to fly this plane with the motor running (something I hardly ever do) but only if you know it's running.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:03 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM.