SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:46 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Took my pro out for its maiden flight tonight ,it was a last minute decision .i was getting tied of going over everything and thought just do it,i had it all disassembled when i got there ,and only had about 45 min til dark,i was amazed i got it together in about 6 min, i did the elevator mod with the 4 pins instead of tape so that popped on then the wings went on and it was rtf in no time .as far as flying,wind was about 5mph so it was very calm.launched her with some slight up elevator little more than half throttle,she cruised right away,what an amazing plane,not only does she fly great she looks great in the air to,and i did not get to painting it yet, its still all white,but it still looked awesome ,i needed a couple clicks on the left aileron and and some down on the elevator and i was good to go,just cruised around abit,did not want to try any loops or rolls yet,because as i was putting the bat in i notice the holder was loose,there always one thing to miss and that was it,i had it out during the build and never glued it back ,so i just kept it level and enjoyed the ride,i had a 15c 1800 mah and i did a quick check and she was a tad nose heavy and i was getting a little porpoising i will have to work on the cg when i have more time at the field,the motor had plenty power she climed right up ,i did not go vertical i was afraid the bat might move but she had no problem getting altitude,and this was the stock prop.i took it up and wanted to try a dive and see what people were talking about with this death dive,i put here in a dive and next thing i no she was not coming out,i jumped up off my tailgate and was pulling on the elevator and she was continuing down i popped the flaps on and had full control again,that woke me up,glad i read that somewhere in the post about deploying the flaps LOL.other that that i had 2 smooth landings in the grass with full flaps at a snails pace and the last one i caught in mid air,what a great maiden, cant wait to get her back over with when i am not rushed and put her threw her paces.and try out the crow,camber and reflex,i only used flaps tonight

Ron
snoopy3440 is offline Find More Posts by snoopy3440
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
998 Posts
I noticed on mine, with a 2200mah batt (cg supoosedly normal) in a dive, it would pitch down further, accelerate, pitch down more, etc... With the 1800mah it was not so bad but still did it.
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:33 PM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
R pro

Real quick ? Is the 50-4-8 aluminum spinner be right for the pro? It was on a Radian.
Thanks,
Rich
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Jan 2004
998 Posts
yes
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:45 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
168 Posts
finally got round to putting the Radian together : bit frustrated with it.

1) getting the flap/aileron wires connected is a nightmare. One of the flap wires is shorter than the other side, do people use extensions. Surely Parkzone could have come up with a better system than this. Any links to some videos so I can see how others do it? Seems like it is going to take 15 mins to get the wings on each time.

2) my flap servo beeps. I'm not talking about buzzing, but actual electronic beeps. If I enable flaps, at full travel it beeps. I can stop it by reducing the "travel adj". It also sometime still beeps when flaps are not activated. Is this normal or faulty? I've uncoupled control linkage and it still does it - so not load related.

3) I've followed the guide on parkzone site for setting up flaps and crow with DX6i. The mix sets GEAR to FLAPS. I was expecting to use the flaps lever on transmitter but I have to use the GEAR lever instead? Is this correct?

any help appreciated - thanks
cirrus_uk is offline Find More Posts by cirrus_uk
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:04 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus_uk View Post
finally got round to putting the Radian together : bit frustrated with it.

1) getting the flap/aileron wires connected is a nightmare. One of the flap wires is shorter than the other side, do people use extensions. Surely Parkzone could have come up with a better system than this. Any links to some videos so I can see how others do it? Seems like it is going to take 15 mins to get the wings on each time.
Yes use 3'' extensions...plug into your RX and have them hanging out yur wing root hole at all times.
1. slide wing on.
2. plug in
3. tuck wires in slidewing in wing root
4. screw in the screws..

you may knock 10min of your set up time.

2) my flap servo beeps. I'm not talking about buzzing, but actual electronic beeps. If I enable flaps, at full travel it beeps. I can stop it by reducing the "travel adj". It also sometime still beeps when flaps are not activated. Is this normal or faulty? I've uncoupled control linkage and it still does it - so not load related.
The Flaps servos are DIGITAL and well make that noise all the time!

3) I've followed the guide on parkzone site for setting up flaps and crow with DX6i. The mix sets GEAR to FLAPS. I was expecting to use the flaps lever on transmitter but I have to use the GEAR lever instead? Is this correct?

any help appreciated - thanks
Try this, ithink you wellbe stuck with the flaps on the gear switch..unless you use a mix!

DX6i set up for 2 switch crow/Spoilers
Take you Y off your Ail servo's
Plug your right Ail plug in your Ail rx port
Plug your Left Ail in AUX1
[NOTE]If when hit your Crow/Ail up switch
and 1 Ail goes up and the other down.
Switch your 2 Ail's plugs on your RX.

Flap Y Harness is in the gear Channel.

Flap Menu
FLAP ELEV
Norm 0 0
Land +50 -10
(What this does is when you flip your flap switch
your AIL goes up 50% and your Elev is trimmed down 10%)-So your Up Ail can be change for more Crow/Spoilers by changing the +50.

Mix 1

Aile-> Rudd ACT
Rate L +70% R +70%
SW ELE D/R Trim ACT
(Here is my RUDD-AIL Mix on and off.using my ELE D/R switch)

MIX2

Gear-->Elev ACT
Rate D 0% U+20%
SW ON Trim ACT

On the Set up page.
In the D/R COMBI option i have AILE set.
So my AIL D/R turns on/off my D/R's

Reversing
Throttle: normal
Aileron: reverse
Elevator: reverse
Rudder: reverse
Gear: reverse
Flap: reverse

[EDIT] I jsut noticed i have that picture wrong.I have AIL/RUD Mix on the Elev D/R. Not Elev/Rudd

have a read!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358342
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:25 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus_uk View Post
Eastcoast's instructions are correct, and I figured it was worth explaining why it is all so unintuitive on the DX6i. When you use the dual aileron function, (same-direction movement for crow, camber, reflex) it hijacks the flap switch. You do not have the option to assign that function to another switch. That is why the flaps end up on the gear switch and why it seems so confusing.

Also, the HH document focuses on crow only, as if that's all anybody would ever want. You can instead have camber or reflex or 3-position flaps.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:55 AM
Hong Kong, Discovery Bay
Joined Apr 2011
233 Posts
A short video of my flight today. Bountifull lift ...... could have stayed up all day!! I'm using the standard 1300 mAh battery and have calculated that I can fly for 7 hrs before running out of juice. Will have to try an extended flight at some stage and get a flight time to try and lead Jumpy's Big Sky Soaring section.

RP Soaring (1 min 5 sec)
744drv is offline Find More Posts by 744drv
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Nov 2006
15 Posts
Cheap transport case

I grew tired of the dings the plane collected during transport to the flying field and so made this carrying case from the original foam packing box plus a few pieces of rigid foam board found at the local craft store.

Not wanting to remove the tail each time I traveled I added the rudder and elevator protector housings made from the same foam board and glued them in place. A little triiming her and there is required to allow the vertically positioned fuselage. Some small pieces of velcro hold the whole cover on; a scrap nylon strap for a handle on the C.G. and the Radian can be carried back and forth. Yes, the box is a tad large but the very lengthy fuselage is the culprit. Not much of a way around that.
K_Biker_Bill is offline Find More Posts by K_Biker_Bill
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Jan 2004
998 Posts
That's great!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:48 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
What's the lowest price going for a Radian Pro? I have Lanyu Phoenix Evolution and I'm getting tired of ordering all my spare parts from China. I punched in Radian Pro on ebay and I found tons of spare parts! What's the lowest price going for this glider?
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:01 AM
Joined Sep 2010
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 744drv View Post
I'm using the standard 1300 mAh battery and have calculated that I can fly for 7 hrs before running out of juice. Will have to try an extended flight at some stage and get a flight time to try and lead Jumpy's Big Sky Soaring section.
My longest flight was 3.25 hours, on the slope. The battery was still kicking, but not fresh. I left it powered up for about five hours a few weeks later, again on the slope. The battery reached the 80% discharged state at that point. In both cases, I made little to no use of the motor. However, slope flight requires frequent control input and often extreme deflections.
LizardMan is offline Find More Posts by LizardMan
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:04 AM
Hong Kong, Discovery Bay
Joined Apr 2011
233 Posts
I quite agree with you LizardMan. I base my statement on a flight I did last week which was one hour long and used 130 mAh. I reckoned that 7 x 130 = 910 mAh was a conservative estimate that didn't exceed the 80% useage. I have assumed no motor use ... which is normal on the hills around here. I do however confess that the 1 hr flight was a lot more benign than some of the manoeuvering I did on the above videoed flight. I also fly my RP with battery telemetry so 'pushing the limits' would be an acceptable approach to duration flying. I have not even contemplated using the 2200 mAh batteries that I have !!
744drv is offline Find More Posts by 744drv
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Jul 2004
505 Posts
K_Biker_Bill. Thats a great idea for a case. I noticed you have fixed your horizontal in place by 4 screws/dowels? This seems like an easier solution to the tape. Any chance you can describe what you did (photos maybe). I know you keep yours fixed in place but would they be able to put up with being screwed and unscrewed?
Cheers
Cadders
cadders is offline Find More Posts by cadders
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:34 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadders View Post
K_Biker_Bill. Thats a great idea for a case. I noticed you have fixed your horizontal in place by 4 screws/dowels? This seems like an easier solution to the tape. Any chance you can describe what you did (photos maybe). I know you keep yours fixed in place but would they be able to put up with being screwed and unscrewed?
Cheers
Cadders
Might be magnets. I have to wonder if it is a system that allows quick on off of the stab why leave it on in the box.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften