SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:21 AM
Joined Oct 2009
25 Posts
Ihad to repair my pro caused in trailer transporting .The damaged caused a weaked tail to a plane that is reasonably new,So to strengthen fin i inserted wooden spatula ,then carbon rods into fuse.To counter tail weight and to achieve cg at3.5 inches the tailplane has to change angle i actually added lead to tail 10gms .I sprayed under wings tips and clear taped wings .My pro is now special and she ..will handle more speed climbing so i will change props and air intakes etc i played around with this also with std prop set up!
aussiepete is offline Find More Posts by aussiepete
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAE View Post
The good news is my RP should arrive at my LHS tomorrow!
The bad news is I can't find the bind plug for my DX6i. I remember putting it in a "safe place" - somewhere. I'm still looking for it...
Does the BNF version come with a bind plug or will I need get one when I pick the Radian up at my LHS?
Plan on buying one. It is a mandatory item in the toolbox....
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:41 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyflyerr View Post
How did you re-inforce the Motor Mount if I may ask , Mine is cracked and I have tried gluing it twice and there is still a vibration on acceleration at certain spots.
Maybe i worded this wrong sorry,i did not reinforce the plastic mount itself,i reenforced what it attaches to,i re glued the plastic pins the screws go into with epoxy and all the foam the mount goes onto inside and out,on the inside i ran a light coat of epoxy and some fiber tube over it,on the outside of the foam i ran a light coat of epoxy.and on the inside i ran 2 carbon tubes,i ground a slot in the foam and ran them from the front of the foam back to the where the battery is,it stiffened it up pretty good and did not add much weight,i also but a bead of silicone cauk under the plastic mount before i put it back on to take any play out of it,but i did not directly reinforce the mount itself,hopefully it will not be a problem,i have a spare if it is

Ron
snoopy3440 is online now Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:21 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I spent the last two afternoons setting up the lights on the old set of wings. The Turnigy receiver controlled switch works fine on the crow switch. I just tuned the crow down to zero for night flying.

Haven't flown it with the lights yet, just testing for now, and I still have to put the fairings back on. Maybe sometime during the week I can give a flight test report.

Here's a few hanger shots.
NICE Jumpy!!! Looks really good!! I finally placed my HK order for the LED's and JST adaptors. Guess I'm looking at a 3 week shipment date but oh well, can't beat the price when my LHS sells 12" LED's at $5 & you get 36" LED's at $4.36 from HK!! Look forward to hearing 'bout your flight as well as your video!!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:09 PM
Troy Bowman
United States, UT, Woods Cross
Joined Sep 2011
424 Posts
Quote:
The bad news is I can't find the bind plug for my DX6i. I remember putting it in a "safe place" - somewhere. I'm still looking for it...
Does the BNF version come with a bind plug or will I need get one when I pick the Radian up at my LHS?
My BNF Radian came with a bind plug. It makes sense that it does, as the receiver needs it in order to bind.
arcarius is offline Find More Posts by arcarius
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:40 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
NICE Jumpy!!! Looks really good!! I finally placed my HK order for the LED's and JST adaptors. Guess I'm looking at a 3 week shipment date but oh well, can't beat the price when my LHS sells 12" LED's at $5 & you get 36" LED's at $4.36 from HK!! Look forward to hearing 'bout your flight as well as your video!!!!
Thanks!

I got mine from HK international warehouse in about 2 weeks.
The plane now weighs in at 40.5 oz, including the 1800ma battery.
I don't expect many thermals at night so no worries.

It probably could be done a bit lighter, but I elected to run wires out to the end of the wing to run the cameras with an extra battery as another option. Lights and cameras won't be running at the same time for obvious reasons. Cameras are one ounce each which would bring it to 42.5 oz AUW.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,755 Posts
I've often wondered about thermals after dark, JumpySticks. I can picture a scenario where the air would cool quicker than the ground. Since thermals are driven by a difference in temperature one might find more lift than one would expect. I've caught a few real boomers arrising from a small spot of open water in the middle of a frozen lake. Any hotspot on the ground should create at least a bubble of lift.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:57 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
I've often wondered about thermals after dark, JumpySticks. I can picture a scenario where the air would cool quicker than the ground. Since thermals are driven by a difference in temperature one might find more lift than one would expect. I've caught a few real boomers arrising from a small spot of open water in the middle of a frozen lake. Any hotspot on the ground should create at least a bubble of lift.
I never heard that one about the partially frozen pond. I expect you are exactly right about that.

We don't get any frozen lakes here, but in the fall we get some terrific thunderstorms that form over the nearby Atchafalaya Basin. The basin water stays warm after the ground has begun to cool, so the convection is naturally formed over the basin from the rising air.

Sure can learn a lot playing around with gliders!
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:39 AM
Moose
San Diego
Joined Oct 2008
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiepete View Post
Ihad to repair my pro caused in trailer transporting .The damaged caused a weaked tail to a plane that is reasonably new,So to strengthen fin i inserted wooden spatula ,then carbon rods into fuse.To counter tail weight and to achieve cg at3.5 inches the tailplane has to change angle i actually added lead to tail 10gms .I sprayed under wings tips and clear taped wings .My pro is now special and she ..will handle more speed climbing so i will change props and air intakes etc i played around with this also with std prop set up!
Mine came with a bind plug...
moosebutler is offline Find More Posts by moosebutler
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:14 AM
KAE
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Jan 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post
Plan on buying one. It is a mandatory item in the toolbox....
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcarius View Post
My BNF Radian came with a bind plug. It makes sense that it does, as the receiver needs it in order to bind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosebutler View Post
Mine came with a bind plug...
Thanks for all the input!
After searching and thinking about it, I remember putting the bind plug in a cubbyhole on the dashboard of my car - the car I traded in 2 months ago. I probably never saw it when I was cleaning out the car.
I found a bind plug in my old Blade SR box. I never fly the SR anymore. I should fix it up someday and see if I still remember how to crash it.
KAE is offline Find More Posts by KAE
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:04 AM
Joined Feb 2011
88 Posts
Hey JumpySticks,

I love the PVC hanger. I need to make one. I made a PVC transport holder for my RP. Gotta love PVC.
Flux Cobalt is offline Find More Posts by Flux Cobalt
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:12 AM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
681 Posts
You know it is dead easy to make your own bind plug, if you have old servo around or broken extension or.... Just cut the wires from the plug leaving an inch or more, cut the center wire right out and then, strip and join the 2 outer wires together, either solder or just tape them up. Instant bind plug! All bind plug does is short the 2 outer pins together.

Quote:
Thanks for all the input!
After searching and thinking about it, I remember putting the bind plug in a cubbyhole on the dashboard of my car - the car I traded in 2 months ago. I probably never saw it when I was cleaning out the car.
I found a bind plug in my old Blade SR box. I never fly the SR anymore. I should fix it up someday and see if I still remember how to crash it.
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:44 PM
Close the Hanger Door!
USA, MI, Rochester
Joined Nov 2008
798 Posts
Quote:
KAE,
I and several flying buds keep a bind plug in the extra space for the battery of our transfmitter. Others use a dangle clilp attached to the tx handle.
Dave F
>< *>
got-one is online now Find More Posts by got-one
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:05 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux Cobalt View Post
Hey JumpySticks,

I love the PVC hanger. I need to make one. I made a PVC transport holder for my RP. Gotta love PVC.
Ha ha.....I call PVC pipe Big Boy Tinkertoys!
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Ha ha.....I call PVC pipe Big Boy Tinkertoys!
I second that !!!
Flux Cobalt is offline Find More Posts by Flux Cobalt