HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:42 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Help

I searched. I promise. There's just so much out there and I can't weed out my help.
I have a DX6i. I bought a used Radian Pro, and then an AR600. I've got the throttle, elev., and rudder working fine.
The flaps have individual servos (I've never dealt with flaps before). The wing wiring has 4 plugs on the receiver end. 2 of those plugs have "fins" that prevent them from going into the receiver (not that I'd know where to put them anyway). The 2 that fit I plugged into Ail. and Gear. The starboard wing works fine, once I reversed the ail. and flaps. The port wing is dead. Nothing. I plugged the port wing into the starboard plug and it came to life.
I tried moving the rx plug from Gear to Aux. 1. The port plug is still dead.
Help, please
Brian VT is online now Find More Posts by Brian VT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:50 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,991 Posts
Did you set the wing type to "Dualaile" on the DX6i? The flap servos should be connected together with a Y-cable, and plugged into the Gear channel.
Then the right aileron goes to the aileron channel and the left aileron goes to Aux 1
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Did you set the wing type to "Dualaile" on the DX6i?
Nope. I'll check into what that's all about. Thanks.

edit: Changed TX Dailaile to ACT. No luck there. Port wing plug is still "dead". I swapped the 2 plugs that fit into the rx between AIL and Gear and AUX1 with no luck. Starboard plug is still "live", regardless of where the 2 plugs are in the RX.
Last edited by Brian VT; Jul 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Quote:
The flap servos should be connected together with a Y-cable, and plugged into the Gear channel.
Then the right aileron goes to the aileron channel and the left aileron goes to Aux 1
The previous owner made what looks to be a nice wiring rig. It has 4 plugs on the RX end. I don't know what plug is what. As I mentioned, 2 of the plugs on the RX end have "fins" that prevent them from being inserted into the AR600. Any idea what that's about ?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:33 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,991 Posts
Ok, I am now speculating because I don't have a Futaba radio. I bought a servo extension one day and it has those fins that don't mesh with Spektrum receivers, so I know what you mean. I remember reading somewhere that you could cut the fins off and it would work. Maybe one of the Futaba users could chime in here and help out...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:37 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,442 Posts
I run DSM2/X and cut that tab off the FUtarba's all the time.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:11 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
I searched. I promise. There's just so much out there and I can't weed out my help.
I have a DX6i. I bought a used Radian Pro, and then an AR600. I've got the throttle, elev., and rudder working fine.
The flaps have individual servos (I've never dealt with flaps before). The wing wiring has 4 plugs on the receiver end. 2 of those plugs have "fins" that prevent them from going into the receiver (not that I'd know where to put them anyway). The 2 that fit I plugged into Ail. and Gear. The starboard wing works fine, once I reversed the ail. and flaps. The port wing is dead. Nothing. I plugged the port wing into the starboard plug and it came to life.
I tried moving the rx plug from Gear to Aux. 1. The port plug is still dead.
Help, please
Check PM
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Dec 2008
49 Posts
Turbo Spinner & 11X6 prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
These are in stock at Esprit, and the one I am flying with only 1/2 ounce added to the tail, balanced at 77mm with the stock PZ 1300ma battery in to the hilt:

http://www.espritmodel.com/bb-alumin...ropellers.aspx

Others like this spinner:

but I prefer the turbo for better airflow.

For the RP you want the 50/4/8.

IMHO the right prop is a 11X6.

This is the prop I am using:

http://www.espritmodel.com/aeronaut-...denthaler.aspx

If it's out of stock, try the graupner:

http://www.espritmodel.com/graupner-...ropellers.aspx

but I don't recommend running this prop more that 30-40 seconds at a time, and no repetitive burns without a rest of 5 minutes of gliding on the stock RP batteries. Gotta learn to catch thermals to cool off the battery! The esc seems to have no heat issue with this setup.

If you want to run longer, maybe try a 10X8 PROP

My ultra light spar is pictured below. It cost $8.00 at the local archery shop.

I cut off about 3 inches to make it fit, so it must have been 32 inches. I think it will work for me since I don't do high stress aerobatics. Mainly just gentle thermal flying.

I took it out and put it on the scale. It weighs 0.5 oz. Amazing stuff. It's a bit stiffer than the original, but not by much.

I really wanted something stiffer, so I found another shaft at Academy Outdoors, which was made for a crossbow, and it was the right diameter to slip firmly inside of the ultralight shaft after a little bit of sanding where the label was. Sorry but I don'y have specs for the inner shaft, but it's a bit thicker walled than the ultralight shaft. Both shafts combined are extremely stiff, but much lighter than the stock fiberglass shaft.

My Ultra light spar:

Now if I can just copy this to my blog for the next guy.
Done...LINK to common Radian Pro Modifications.
Hi Jumpysticks
Are you still recomending the turbo spinner an 11X6 props? My spinner broke and I was lucky not to loose a blade! I heard a funny noise when I gave my glider some throttle and cut the throttle and landed. I was using a Graupner 10X8 prop and one of the props jambed in the spinner when it cracked.
Thanks in advance
Gordon
flyboy57id is offline Find More Posts by flyboy57id
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Quote:
The previous owner made what looks to be a nice wiring rig. It has 4 plugs on the RX end. I don't know what plug is what. As I mentioned, 2 of the plugs on the RX end have "fins" that prevent them from being inserted into the AR600. Any idea what that's about ?
I trimmed the "fins" off the 2 Futaba plugs and can get them in now. Thanks. I have both ails. working now. I have 2 more plugs and only one slot on the RX. I guess I can't use this harness with an AR600 ? I've never dealt with flaps before so sorry for the newb questions.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:53 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,991 Posts
Quote:
I trimmed the "fins" off the 2 Futaba plugs and can get them in now. Thanks. I have both ails. working now. I have 2 more plugs and only one slot on the RX. I guess I can't use this harness with an AR600 ? I've never dealt with flaps before so sorry for the newb questions.
Here is what it looks like when it's stock. Each wing has 2 wires, and the long one is the aileron and the short one is for flap. If you are using the 6 channel AR600 receiver (as I am using), you need to get a Y-adapter to connect your two flap servos together. This adapter comes with the stock setup. Then the flaps (which are now one plug) go to the Gear channel. If you had a 7 channel receiver you could put the flaps on separate channels.

You are using the same setup as I am, AR600 and DX6i. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
536 Posts
Quote:
...you need to get a Y-adapter to connect your two flap servos together. If you had a 7 channel receiver you could put the flaps on separate channels.
That's what I was starting to think. Thanks for clearing this up for me.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:48 PM
Western North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
142 Posts
Program to open Lizardman's DX8 Config file?

What program are folks using to open this file (SPM file). My computer says it can't open it. I have a Dell desktop running Windows 7 and I have WinZip. Plug and play - what a misnomer!!! Thanks for any help.
George
Staggerwing1 is offline Find More Posts by Staggerwing1
Last edited by Staggerwing1; Aug 02, 2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: added (SPM file)
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Feb 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerwing1 View Post
What program are folks using to open this file (SPM file). My computer says it can't open it. I have a Dell desktop running Windows 7 and I have WinZip. Plug and play - what a misnomer!!! Thanks for any help.
George
As far as I know, you don't. You drop it on your SD Card, put it in your TX, and configure it there. I don't personally know of a manual way to configure that SPM file.
Stregalicious is offline Find More Posts by Stregalicious
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:04 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy57id View Post
Hi Jumpysticks
Are you still recomending the turbo spinner an 11X6 props? My spinner broke and I was lucky not to loose a blade! I heard a funny noise when I gave my glider some throttle and cut the throttle and landed. I was using a Graupner 10X8 prop and one of the props jambed in the spinner when it cracked.
Thanks in advance
Gordon
That's the spinner and prop I am using. No problems so far. I did have to add a little weight to the tail though.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
86 Posts
My setup...

Spinner: (50/4/8)

Prop:
Graupner Cam Gear Prop 10 x 8
Stregalicious is offline Find More Posts by Stregalicious