SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:31 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Hmmmmm, might be that time for a GoPro or Contour Roam huh?! But why mess up a "good thing" right? It's working for ya and it looks good!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Last edited by rcoconut; Jul 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling correction
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:52 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Hmmmmm, might be that time for a GoPro or Contour Roam huh?! But why mess up a "good thing" right? It's working for ya and it looks good!
Right now it's just a matter of using a camera I already had, without having to buy a new one. I'm not a fan of the super wide-angle view of the GoPro, with the associated curved horizon, although you do see more and it makes it look like you are really high up.

When I designed that camera mount, I was planning on eventually using a typical video camera, one of those barrel shaped ones with the view screen that flips out to the side. One of those would take great videos, but there is one problem that I didn't see coming. They only work if the view screen is flipped out, and not when it is closed. Maybe I will come across some brand that will work with it closed. A camera like that would have less wind resistance than this one, and the quality of the video would make the weight worth while.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:42 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Over the past few days, there has been a lot of talk on the Radian thread about cameras and videos. I haven't done any of that since winter, so yesterday I attached the camera to the RP and did a short summer video. The camera is heavy and big, so the plane is slow to go up and quick to come down. It took almost 2 minutes to drag it up there, but I chopped that part off.

http://youtu.be/xv6q9zkvSVY
Wow, that's beautiful country, jvx. when I originally saw your videos, and your location in BC, and the ski slopes, I just (wrongly) assumed it was just north of
Vancouver area. Boy, was I wrong. You are WAY up there (just googlemapped it).

I bet you get some long days up there in the summer.

I also started flying with big point and shoot digital cameras. They did have good quality vid (for the day), and worked great if you pointed them sideways down the wing. But point one fore or aft, with all that frontal area, and you barely had enough trim to make 'em fly straight.

You mentioned GoPros, are you also averse to those #16 keychain (keyfob) cameras? They are so small they'll go anywhere, and have surprisingly good results (certainly not professional).

---
Greg
Kalispell, MT
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
Last edited by botulism; Jul 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: chg. sp. from adverse to averse.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:58 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
Wow, that's beautiful country, jvx. when I originally saw your videos, and your location in BC, and the ski slopes, I just (wrongly) assumed it was just north of
Vancouver area. Boy, was I wrong. You are WAY up there (just googlemapped it).

I bet you get some long days up there in the summer.

I also started flying with big point and shoot digital cameras. They did have good quality vid (for the day), and worked great if you pointed them sideways down the wing. But point one fore or aft, with all that frontal area, and you barely had enough trim to make 'em fly straight.

You mentioned GoPros, are you also averse to those #16 keychain (keyfob) cameras? They are so small they'll go anywhere, and have surprisingly good results (certainly not professional).

---
Greg
Kalispell, MT
It's way up there for sure. It's a 12 hour drive to the LHS (Vancouver or Edmonton = same distance). Right now you could fly till 10 pm and start again at 4 am if you wanted. In the middle of winter, it gets dark at 4 and light at 8 am. I used to work in the arctic, where the sun never goes down in the summer and never comes up in the winter.

Thanks for the idea of turning the camera sideways. I just have a standard 1/4" X 20 nylon bolt mount on the plane, so it will take almost any camera and at any angle. I'm going to give that a try when the wind dies down.

I haven't tried a keychain camera yet, just because they don't sell them in my little town and I haven't bothered to order one yet. The one Radio.Active has seems to work very well, and doesn't have such a wide angle that it bends everything.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:43 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post
Finished my tail mods (hinges for elevator and rudder, plus carbon strengthens, and the declanage change to +3degrees). I didn't add any weight to the tail since I guess my mods added enough weight (with a 1800mah batt it was like 43oz airplane/2200mah 46oz) and it seemed to balance:
For my first flight I used a 3s 2200mah batt crammed in, which gave a cg at like 3 1/2", but once airborne I needed massive down trim to control. I readjust the center position of the tail and took her back up.

On the second flight I moved the cg forward by sliding the battery forward, and the third flight more forward still. The plane flew very flat and controllable, but doing the dive test in all configurations, the plane would diverge rapidly and increase airspeed (a bit unnerving).

In a normal plane, this would signal too tail heavy but with the declanage at +3, are the result backwards from normal (meaning I am actually too nose heavy)? I can't see with a 2200mah batt slide forward the plane would still be tail heavy but I am not sure.

Any thoughts?
43 oz seems like a lot, considering the stock weight is supposed to be 34.6 oz. What did you add for tail stiffening mods? If it was anywhere near stock weight, a 2200 slid forward would make it very nose heavy. The dive test results are puzzling. What do you mean by decalage +3 degrees? Is the front of the stabilizer higher than the rear? A picture taken from the side would help to figure out what is going on.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:58 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,573 Posts
that does seem like alot. Mine with a 8oz GoPro and case don't come close to that weight! 3.5'' 88.9 mm COG? thats way back there!

manual says 70mm, but 77mm is were alot like it.

Are you going by this video i posted awhile ago?
Parkzone RADIAN Modification Clinic.mp4 (31 min 53 sec)
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Jul 30, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:17 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
43 oz seems like a lot, considering the stock weight is supposed to be 34.6 oz. What did you add for tail stiffening mods? If it was anywhere near stock weight, a 2200 slid forward would make it very nose heavy. The dive test results are puzzling. What do you mean by decalage +3 degrees? Is the front of the stabilizer higher than the rear? A picture taken from the side would help to figure out what is going on.
As I wrote earlier, my Radian pro after assembly came out with measured 3.8 degrees of decalage. I kept that when reinforcing the fuselage rear end because it is just about correct for the best L/D ratio.

The front of the stabilizer higher than the rear has nothing to do with the decalage. The decalage is the angle difference in the incidence of the wings versus the incidence of the stailizer.

Imagine for a moment that we would install the stab with X degrees more of incidence and do the same X degrees more for the main wings. We would still have the same decalage and the only results would be that the fuselage would fly with X degrees difference from before changing those incidences.

There might be a small effect due to the fuselage having a X amount of presentation to the airflow but it would be so small as being unnoticeable in flight.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:07 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,150 Posts
I could have been more specific with the wording of my post and the use of the word "higher", but I assumed that everybody would realize it meant in relation to a line that runs through the chord of the wing, and extends rearward to the tail. That is how it would look if someone did the D-mod and went too far.
Last edited by Jovanx; Jul 31, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:32 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
998 Posts
I'll reweigh. I really didn't do anything too crazy on the mods other than carbon rods and gorilla glue. Tail mod did have some wood like the video. Hmmm, maybe wing tape too heavy? Hope I misread scale or she will need to go on a serious diet...
Can someone please weigh a fuse/tail(complete unit with nothing removed) combo and a wing section for comparison?
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by eroeder; Jul 31, 2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Edit
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:53 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,150 Posts
One of my wings is 160 grams and the other one is 164.5 grams, with paint and servo protectors. What did you mean by +3 degrees?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Jan 2004
998 Posts
Thanks!
3 degree increase of AOA of horizontal stab.
How heavy is you fuselage/tail//motor combo?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:55 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!
How heavy is you fuselage/tail//motor combo?
489 grams with mods and canopy (no battery).
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!
I am still confused about your 3 degree thing. As an indepndent parameter increasing or decreasing the AOA of the horizontal stabilizer has no meaning with respect to decalage. You need to know the HS incidence with respect to the wing incidence. I have found that there is measurable variation in the incidence angles as it comes out of the box so you can't do it by a set of static instructions. You have to measure and determine the angles for each individual Radian to achieve zero decalage as Paul intended. The measurements must be done after you complete your tail stiffening mods because those can change the set of the tail boom.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Jan 2004
998 Posts
OK, I reweighed

569g fuse/canopy/motor/tail (no batt) (I also have a 8000 rcvr, BEC, and Spektrum telemetry, hinges, carbon stiffener, corner wood piece)
215g left wing (taped upper wing (25g?), servo guards, hinges)
220g right wing (taped upper wing (25g?), servo guards, hinges)

Total:
1004g or 35.2oz (without 1250mah batt (3.75oz) or Wing spar (1oz) )

Of course if I try to do an FPV with it, that will add another 7.5oz (47oz total! yikes!)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by eroeder; Jul 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: add