Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,462 Posts
DX6i, DX7, DX7se, DX8 set-up instructions
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ro-pnp-PKZ5475

And for anyone who wants to set-up a Radian Pro on a DX5e:

SETTING UP A RADIAN PRO ON THE DX5e AND THE AR500 RECEIVER

For those who do not have computer radios, this may help you see how to use your DX5e and AR500, or any other standard radio/receiver, that has at least 5 channels.

Your DX5e absolutely has all the controls needed to fly the Radian pro. You won't be able to do the fancy surface mixing that the expensive radios can do but you can absolutely fly the Pro on the DX5e and the AR500 or AR600. And, if you set it up as I suggest you will be able to do more than you might have thought. Don't let the radio be a barrier to your enjoying this new Radian.

I will be laying out controls based on Mode 2, the most commonly configuration used in North America. Mode 1 or 3 would place things differently but the effect is the same.

Pitch and roll - right stick
yaw and speed - left stick

ELEVATOR stays on right stick as pitch goes on the right stick.

AILERONS - AR500 has a built in "Y" cable so it has two aileron slots but only one channel. You can just plug in the ailerons in the aileron slots assuming that they are set-up facing opposite each other, which is what I would expect. You will control these from the right stick which is where primary roll control always goes regardless of what surfaces you have.

*Rudder - moves to the left stick. This is true of every plane that has ailerons. Rudder now becomes your yaw control which goes on the left stick. You now have finer control of the Radian Pro than you had of the Radian because Yaw and Roll are no longer coupled.

Throttle and Flaps - Where to put them on the DX5e? Well, that depends on you and your intent.

If you are more of a power plane pilot, then you put the throttle on the left stick and the flaps on the switch. The flaps will need a Y cable which may be included with the Pro. That means you use the throttle a lot and the flaps are only used as brakes just before you land. Nothing wrong with this, but this is not the way I would set it up.

If you are more of a glider pilot then you put the throttle on the switch and the flaps on the left stick. I am more of a glider pilot so that is what I would do. To me flaps are more than brakes, they help me reshape the wing in the air to control speed and glide path. I want fine control of the flaps for camber, reflex and landing.

I only use the motor to climb so it is on or off in 30 seconds typically. I really don't need fine control on the throttle so I would put that throttle on the switch. In fact many high end competition e-glider pilots with expensive radios and planes put their throttle on a switch. Power on/power off is all you need.

With the flaps on the left stick I have fine control of the flaps and that means I can use them for full glide path control as well as braking. Flaps would be neutral with the stick all the way forward. If you think of this as a speed control, flaps neutral is my high speed position for them. Left stick pulled all the way back is my low speed or stopping position. That is the standard way to set them up on a glider.

If I find lift, I can apply a very small amount of flaps to increase the undercamber shape to the wing in a thermal to climb more quickly in the lift. That means I would pull the left stick slightly toward me to bring the flaps down a couple of mm or about 1/4". On my Futaba 9C sailplane radio I have this on a switch, but using the DX5e I would just move the left stick a little. Or I could just put in some number of clicks in the trim for the left stick to get camber.

If I am up high and want to get down I can ease in more flaps, then put the nose down, to help me bring the plane down steeply without gaining a lot of speed. I might not put them full on, depending on my goals, my distance from the field, etc. I have fine control so I use it.

As I am coming in for a landing I can ease the flaps in and out as needed to control the glide path for a precision landing. Remember I am a glider pilot so the idea of using the motor on approach is not part of my flying style.

I might even be able to work out a way to raise the flaps slightly for a reflex position to enhance penetration into the wind. Again a few clicks of the trim might be all I need or I could set up some kind of mechanical stop on the throttle. Perhaps a piece of wood stock that is taped on the radio. When it is flipped toward me it would stop the stick from going all the way forward. I would adjust the flaps so that this would be flap neutral.

When I want reflex, I put in a few clicks of trim or I flip this block out of the way allowing the stick to move all the way forward. This would be set up to have the flaps raised up about 2 mm. Now I have reflex for wind penetration or high speed glide out of sink.

Believe me, glider pilots were doing this kind of stuff long before there were computer radios.

As you can see a DX5e and the AR500 can be used to fly the Radian pro and you will have advanced controls as compared to the original Radian. You won't have crow, you won't have full trailing edge camber control and you won't have flap to elevator mixing so you will have to learn to add some down elevator manually when you deply the flaps.

FLAP TO ELEVATOR MIXING - As you apply flaps you change the shape and the lift character of the wing. If you have a computer radio that can provide automatic flap to elevator mixing then you mix in some down elevator as you move the flaps down. Otherwise the nose of the Radian Pro will "balloon" up and the plane will tend to stall.

Without this mix you have to do this with your right stick manually. It is not hard but it does take practice to get it right. Even basic computer radios like the DX6i, Futaba 6EX or the older Hitec Flash 5X have this mix.

If you are flying the DX5e or other standard radio, without mixes, you will need to learn to apply some down elevator whenever you apply the flaps. If you don't you may find yourself crashing or stalling a lot. This is true whether you have the flaps on the switch or the left stick. It is a learned process and after a while it becomes automatic. But this is one reason people like computer radios as you can set them up to do this for you automatically and consistently.

Radian Pro Spektrum DX6i, DX7 and DX8 Set-ups
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:17 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
parkzone batterys are as bad as B grade ones on HK

I do have a video of a complete walk down of how i installed the lights.
but i haven't uploaded it yet!

Im loving the golden rods. ive only done the elev so far, Rudd is next
Thanks for the assistance!
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:23 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
DX6i, DX7, DX7se, DX8 set-up instructions

And for anyone who wants to set-up a Radian Pro on a DX5e:

SETTING UP A RADIAN PRO ON THE DX5e AND THE AR500 RECEIVER

........snip
Excellent how to!
I think I would use the trim for flap reflex, and set neutral flap with the stick full forward and the trim at mid point. Push the trim forward and you get reflex. Great idea aeajr.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:23 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
168 Posts
Just reading through the manual - I have a few questions.

1) attaching the tail plane it says use tape. What tape should i be using?

2) I need to purchase a new Spektrum receiver tomorrow (I use a DX6i so will be looking for a 6 channel receiver). Is my only choice an AR6210?

In the future if I purchased a new transmitter (lets say the Aurora 9), to take full advantage of all features would I need more than 6 channels for the receiver? I'd want the flaps to follow the ailerons for increased control (is this just mixing via the TX)?

I was under impression that the increased aileron size would help at low speed when landing. But surely when landing the flaps would be down? So how can you couple flaps with ailerons when the flaps are in the down position? Seems like one or the other not both possible?

thanks in advance
cirrus_uk is offline Find More Posts by cirrus_uk
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:42 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
The different positions are installed like that for a reason. It added differantal out of the box.
I "zeroed" it out and added mine via the TX
Thanks for your response Eastcoast78.

Some of the reasons for my asking are _ _ _

I did notice the horns of the aileron servos to be at an angle to provide mechanical aileron differential.
However the angles were appreciably different resulting in the differential being different on right and left rolls.

I made that angle the same on both guessing that an angle about half way of the originals can be tried. From that I have mixed rudder to ailerons with my transmitter so I do not have any problems for that.

Since the clevisses on the model were not in the same positions as in the manual and no deflection info is in the manual I became curious what others have on their model.

I would hope that someone will respond to that.

I like to use quite a bit of exponential and would like to increase the tail contol sensitiviy at low speeds. I have considered increasing the size of the elevators and rudder.
I am curious if anyone has done that and by how much.

Thanks again for your response.
Often the posting gets quickly on a previous page and does not get read anymore. Here I use 25 postings per page but I do go and look at least at 3 to 6 previous pages or at least a week or two of previous postings.

Best 2 U from Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:55 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:22 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus_uk View Post
2) I need to purchase a new Spektrum receiver tomorrow (I use a DX6i so will be looking for a 6 channel receiver). Is my only choice an AR6210?
I just got an AR6210 for my new Radian. The Radian Pro still has the stock AR600 and I have not had any problems with it, although I have had problems with the AR600 in another plane. The 6210 works fine, but now I'm wishing I would have done a little more research before buying it. The AR6255 is the one I should have gotten. It is designed as a "carbon fuse" receiver, which means the antennae are on extensions so they can be mounted on the outside for better reception.

The main reason to buy this receiver is because the failsafe settings are programmable. With the 600 and the 6210, all you get if the signal is lost is the motor quits. The control surfaces simply "remember their last position" which basically means they do nothing. I call that "Dumb-safe". The 6255 would allow you to decide what happens if you ever lose the signal.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:43 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
The AR6255 is the one I should have gotten. It is designed as a "carbon fuse" receiver, which means the antennae are on extensions so they can be mounted on the outside for better reception.
cheers for the heads up. Shame the connectors are on the side rather than top. Doesn't seem to be much room inside the Radian for the RX. Didn't know about the lack of fail safe options on the 6210 - thanks

does the 6255 come with a satellite? and does it support DSMX?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Feb 2011
88 Posts
aeajr thanks for all the information. The RP is my first and only RC plane and I have been flying it for almost 1 year now. I just recently put my flaps to stick and throttle to switch on my DX5e. I get more flight time now because I can float it more in the wind since it now has better flap control. I should have done the switch a long time ago.
Flux Cobalt is offline Find More Posts by Flux Cobalt
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:47 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,781 Posts
Quote:
cheers for the heads up. Shame the connectors are on the side rather than top. Doesn't seem to be much room inside the Radian for the RX. Didn't know about the lack of fail safe options on the 6210 - thanks

does the 6255 come with a satellite? and does it support DSMX?
Satellite, nope... DSMX, yes.
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:35 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Just reading through the manual - I have a few questions.

1) attaching the tail plane it says use tape. What tape should i be using?

In the future if I purchased a new transmitter (lets say the Aurora 9), to take full advantage of all features would I need more than 6 channels for the receiver? I'd want the flaps to follow the ailerons for increased control (is this just mixing via the TX)?

I was under impression that the increased aileron size would help at low speed when landing. But surely when landing the flaps would be down? So how can you couple flaps with ailerons when the flaps are in the down position? Seems like one or the other not both possible?

thanks in advance
1 There is a piece of tape divided into 4 segments in the box. It's easy to overlook. I didn't find mine until much later, but it doesn't matter. I use blue painter's masking tape.

A 6 channel receiver is enough to use all advertised features of the RP. The flaps will be on a Y connector. If you want the additional option of coupling flaps and ailerons, the flaps will have to be on separate channels and you will need 7 channel receiver. Full span aileron is probably the least needed of the options, so 6 channel is fine IMHO.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:20 AM
Troy Bowman
United States, UT, Woods Cross
Joined Sep 2011
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadders View Post
Here is one of yesterdays flights using P&T with a head tracker I haven't used for years. I forgot how much I loved it
I'll get some photos of my setup today, but I warn you it's not pretty.
Cadders
Ah, Cadders tempts us with some more of his sweet FPV setup, and still hasn't shown us how he does it.

C'mon, Cadders, tell us noobs what gear you're using and teach how to do what you're doing.
arcarius is offline Find More Posts by arcarius
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:07 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,479 Posts
Jumpy heres the video of the LEDs
Radian Pro LED setup (6 min 49 sec)
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:15 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
168 Posts
thanks JumpySticks
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:09 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Didn't know you poked a hole thru the wing Easter, not that it makes a difference, but nice setup! I'm thinking of making a JST connection at the wing root & a connection at the fuselage going all the way thru to the flight deck like how you have it. At that location I'll have the JST's connected to that HK Balance adapter with the 6 JST female adapter octopus. That 6-pin connector is beyond me so I'll be connecting the usual 4 servo wires together (2 AIL & 2 Flaps) along with 4 JST connectors (1 JST for each wing as well as 1 JST for each side of the fuse). Now that I think about it..... I should learn how to do that 6-pin connector way!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut