Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:39 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Tail areas

Hi guys,

Has anyone increased the areas of the elevators and/or rudder ?

If so by how much ?

What travel are you using for each control surfaces ?

The manual shows the factory settings where to connect the clevisses but my Radian pro had a couple of different positions out of the box.

Thanks for any information.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:24 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,481 Posts
Installed Gold n rods today. LHS had white ones in stock so i snagged them up. only installed the Elev today before some evening flying. WOW i love em.

Few pics of tonights flights.
Video is to follow!
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:39 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,481 Posts
Sunset Side View Radian Pro (9 min 24 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Jul 25, 2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:15 AM
Moose
San Diego
Joined Oct 2008
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmitude View Post
Moose, welcome! I've had an RP for a couple of seasons now, before that it was strictly sailplanes. In fact, I was a pure RES pilot.

I put my motor on a switch and programmed it for a half second spool up to max throttle. I also have an ALES switch thingy installed and programmed so it automagically cuts the motor at 100 or 150 meters (depending on the conditions), which simulates a small hi-start launch pretty well. I generally don't use the throttle for anything but launch and the occasional electric thermal, so having it on the throttle stick was just a waste of a good control for me.*

One thing though, don't try the launch trajectory of those super slick overpowered ALES birds, the RP is needs a little chance to build up airspeed before she can climb away, but it'll still get to altitude fast enough. I usually try to keep her nearly level for a second or two, and then she'll start climbing out on her own, and you maintain a good airspeed in climb with the elevator (again, just like a small hi-start.)

Also, forget the high energy spot landings (you know what I mean ), that's where the expensive parts are!

*Typical caveats apply (Your mileage may vary, don't try this at home, professional driver on a closed course, not to be used in hospitals, etc.) Enjoy!
Good info, thanks, Jimmitude. I have never been a big fan of "high energy spot landings", anyway. One question: what is ALES, other than really special beer?
moosebutler is offline Find More Posts by moosebutler
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:27 AM
Moose
San Diego
Joined Oct 2008
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Nice vid! Thanks! I especially liked the stall.
moosebutler is offline Find More Posts by moosebutler
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:45 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,481 Posts
thanks man, yea thats my fav part. I also got a flight in later in the evening with the lights on.
But need to edit it , asits way to long 20min or so lol

heres a few pictures
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:10 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
thanks man, yea thats my fav part. I also got a flight in later in the evening with the lights on.
But need to edit it , asits way to long 20min or so lol

heres a few pictures
Cool pics EC. The flaps down pics are my favorite. The lights reflect off the flaps...way cool!

I got my lights and new batteries, switch, etc in the mail this week. Will be working on them this weekend if the chores don't overwhelm. (it's been so wet here that the lawn needs mowing twice a week! Last year was a drought.)
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:22 PM
USA, FL, Bradenton
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
Flaps make a big diffrence in flight length?

Quote:
Ive never had flaps on a glider and wonder if it makes a big diffrence.
Do you use them alot.
videorov is offline Find More Posts by videorov
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,677 Posts
Hi, Moose.

ALES is a competition format called Altitude Limited Electric Soaring. One is allowed 30 seconds or 200 meters, whichever comes first, with the motor on and then it becomes a 10 minute duration event.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:52 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by videorov View Post
Do you use them alot.
A very small flap deflection (just a couple of millimeters and not enough to see in a picture) is used to increase lift in some conditions and is called "camber". Pilots use camber on both the flaps and ailerons to eke out a little more lift.

The main use of flaps is to get it to come down, and they are very effective. They lower the stall speed and increase the drag. They literally drag the plane out of the sky, and are great for landing in small fields or doing spot-landings in competitions.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:10 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Do you use them alot.
Yes flaps make a huge difference. Usually if it's windy I use 45 down with or with out crow.
Sometimes I don't bother as the wind well kill your airspeed

But when it's calm, full flaps at nearly 80 degrees down is awesome. Sometimes I throw crow in there for a little jazz
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:16 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Cool pics EC. The flaps down pics are my favorite. The lights reflect off the flaps...way cool!

I got my lights and new batteries, switch, etc in the mail this week. Will be working on them this weekend if the chores don't overwhelm. (it's been so wet here that the lawn needs mowing twice a week! Last year was a drought.)
Thanks jumpy, the lights are awesome and adds a whole new feeling when flying. The pic your talking about is now my new desktop screen shot

I was thinking about adding the switch I got to.
I just need to make a adaptor to go between my esc and battery so I can run the switch from that instead of chopping up my esc wires

But I forgot all my channels are used on the orangeRX
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:25 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,467 Posts
Quote:
Do you use them alot.
To some extent it depends on you and your radio set-up. On my full house gliders (R/E/A/Flaps) I use the flaps throughout the flight as part of my camber and reflex mixes. Then I use them during landing to help me hit a very precise landing zone.

On my radio I can also set them to follow the ailerons to give me more roll authority. I have this mix on a switch so I can turn it on and off.

Very useful devices, flaps.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:37 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
On my radio I can also set them to follow the ailerons to give me more roll authority. I have this mix on a switch so I can turn it on and off.
I don't have enough mixes on my DX6i to make the flaps follow the ailerons, but I am curious...when do you use it? What type of conditions make this increased roll control necessary? One example I can think of is when coming in for a landing and the winds are gusting all over the place. I am guessing the extra roll control would help you keep the wings parallel to the ground.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:35 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Installed Gold n rods today. LHS had white ones in stock so i snagged them up. only installed the Elev today before some evening flying. WOW i love em.

Few pics of tonights flights.
Video is to follow!
WOW Easter.... First your micro MiG 15 awesome pics and now the RP!!! Great shots!!! Waiting for Jumpy's turn with his night ops when he's all finished setting her up!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut