Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:03 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Thanks for the comments so far guys - just looking at the prop replacements.

The stock prop is 9.75 x 7.5.

I've heard people mention the following sizes.

10X8 (speed), 11X8 (seems too big to me), 11X6 (best for climb)

I've read many people saying that 11X6 seems to be the sweet spot. Do people agree? I want an increase in power but don't want to fry the motor and ESC, but also don't want to buy 3 sets of blades to find out.

Can someone confirm the blade root size of the stock prop? Is it 6mm? or 8mm? What will spinner take?

I've seen the following props.

Aeronaut CAMcarbon 10x8 Folding Prop Blades

Maximum RPM 16000
Blade root width 8.00mm (0.31")
Blade root bore size 3.00mm (0.12")

CAM GEAR Folding Prop Blades 10x8

Maximum RPM 7000
Blade root width 6.00mm (0.24")
Blade root bore size 2.00mm (0.08")

GIANT COD 10 x 8 Folding Propeller blades (pair) 6mm root

The GiantCod ones are super cheap.

I've seen lots of people using the CAM GEAR ones but they are only rated at 7000RPM which seems very low. I've heard reports of people saying the Aeronaut will require a new spinner, collet and hub? But don't see why.

I want a prop that will fold flat and not require a new hub, collet and spinner.

The stock prop looks like it will fold flatter due to length of arm.

I want to get the right root thickness to avoid having to use a spacer like this. (this looks like the CAM GEAR prop which has a 6mm root, which implies the stock prop has an 8mm root which matches with the Aeronaut prop above). Giant cod also do 8mm versions. Bit confused as seen lots of conflicting reports from previous posts.

Any help appreciated sorry for all the pics and information.
cirrus_uk is offline Find More Posts by cirrus_uk
Last edited by cirrus_uk; Jul 24, 2012 at 05:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:30 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:56 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
RA - many thanks for that information. Can you confirm the motor shaft is 4mm?

Looks like If needed I could get something working from here:

Puffin : HM Vario Spinners White
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:10 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:19 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
yeah - was just first thing I found on google. At least now I know what I'm looking for.

Think first I will try stock setup, then try some cheapo GiantCod blades and then if need be look at some of these other options.

Looking at DriveCalc it seems to suggest the 11X6 will be the best overall prop.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:27 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus_uk View Post
I've seen lots of people using the CAM GEAR ones but they are only rated at 7000RPM which seems very low. I've heard reports of people saying the Aeronaut will require a new spinner, collet and hub? But don't see why.
The definitely do otherwise they don't fold properly.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:09 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
The definitely do otherwise they don't fold properly.
I guess you could just file them down to fit right?

A cheaper option (once they are back in stock), is this Spinner set ready for 8mm root blades
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:31 AM
Moose
San Diego
Joined Oct 2008
14 Posts
RP Newbie

Hi Gang,

After many years of flying strictly non-powered sailplanes I am finally moving to the dark side and have chosen the RP as my introductory model. I am very experienced with full house gliders so there is just the motor/propeller thing to get used to. Any advice or suggestions? (I'm almost afraid to open this door, but, what the hell.)

Thanks All.
Moose
San Diego
moosebutler is offline Find More Posts by moosebutler
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:17 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosebutler View Post
After many years of flying strictly non-powered sailplanes I am finally moving to the dark side and have chosen the RP as my introductory model.
Lol, before you know it you're going to want a Mustang Just kidding. It's really not all that dark over here. I have no desire to roar around with the motor running, and only use it to launch. Maybe if this was my only plane, it would be tempting, but I have others that roar much better. Are you just new to electric sailplanes, or to all electric planes?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:30 PM
Moose
San Diego
Joined Oct 2008
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Lol, before you know it you're going to want a Mustang Just kidding. It's really not all that dark over here. I have no desire to roar around with the motor running, and only use it to launch. Maybe if this was my only plane, it would be tempting, but I have others that roar much better. Are you just new to electric sailplanes, or to all electric planes?
Pretty much all electrics. Been trying to resurrect a Slow Stick my boss found in his back yard a few years ago. It is all upgraded with the outrunner motor and SSX hardware, but it is just too damaged for me to fly. I found the RP on craigslist for a good price and decided to try it.

I already want a Super Cub with floats.lol
moosebutler is offline Find More Posts by moosebutler
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:40 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I have only done it a couple of times, and I also have a safety switch. One of these days I'm going to get down to practicing that move, because it would open up more possibilities for places to fly. Check this video out...the guy has his Corsair almost hovering into a stiff wind at about half throttle. Then he reaches up and plucks it out of the air.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=17822
I am guilty of catching my RP all the time. I have battle wounds from 450 size helis (not catching them), and the latest, a 3mm carbon fiber rod puncture in the web of my hand btwn. thumb & forefinger. This was from the front rubber band wing hold down peg on a Great Planes Fling 2m (electrified - one fun plane). No wind, I was coming quite fast, but 6 inches off the ground. Gave it full up to stall it in front of my face, but it was still coming way too hot. If the wind had been blowing like usual.... never mind. 3 stitches on that one.

Did anyone else notice in that hand caught Corsair video how he does his LEDs? He has different colors between top and bottom of the wings. Not the Left and Right as most people do. Giving this some thought, it might be easier to orient, as you already have a L/R orientation with the fuselage lights pointing fore or aft from the wings. Hmm... I may give this a try.

--
Greg
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:24 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:17 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2010
236 Posts
Moose, welcome! I've had an RP for a couple of seasons now, before that it was strictly sailplanes. In fact, I was a pure RES pilot.

I put my motor on a switch and programmed it for a half second spool up to max throttle. I also have an ALES switch thingy installed and programmed so it automagically cuts the motor at 100 or 150 meters (depending on the conditions), which simulates a small hi-start launch pretty well. I generally don't use the throttle for anything but launch and the occasional electric thermal, so having it on the throttle stick was just a waste of a good control for me.*

One thing though, don't try the launch trajectory of those super slick overpowered ALES birds, the RP is needs a little chance to build up airspeed before she can climb away, but it'll still get to altitude fast enough. I usually try to keep her nearly level for a second or two, and then she'll start climbing out on her own, and you maintain a good airspeed in climb with the elevator (again, just like a small hi-start.)

Also, forget the high energy spot landings (you know what I mean ), that's where the expensive parts are!

*Typical caveats apply (Your mileage may vary, don't try this at home, professional driver on a closed course, not to be used in hospitals, etc.) Enjoy!
Jimmitude is offline Find More Posts by Jimmitude
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:20 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
thanks again RA - useful info. By the way, what size battery are you using and what C rating is it?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM.