HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:39 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi_Mojo View Post
I'm trying to figure out a reliable way of mounting my second #16 cam to glasses or the front of a ball cap, so I can film the plane hands-free.
Just an idea here, what about one of those brackets that harmonica players use to hold it so they can play guitar at the same time? You could attach the camera and it should be pretty easy to control where it's pointed.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:26 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,777 Posts
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out a reliable way of mounting my second #16 cam to glasses or the front of a ball cap, so I can film the plane hands-free.
I can't remember where I saw it here in RCGroups but I know someone shaped a small piece of acrylic in the shape that clipped on to the side of one of his frames of his glasses. The cam was held on with velcro.

Another guy in the micro threads uses velcro on his baseball cap. His videos are good. "turboparker" if you wanna look him up.
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:29 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Programming a DX7 for full action sailplanes.

watdazit and anyone interested.

Here is the programming and each step has been verified with my DX7 and my Radian pro sailplane as I was writing (typing).

-------------

DX7 programming for full action of a sailplane.

Full action means throttle, rudder, elevators, ailerons, reflex, camber and crow.

CAUTION

When setting up the airplane with the airplane turned ON, disconnect the motor or remove the prop.

This is to avoid the propeller from accidentally turning possibly at full thottle if throttle is selected in setting up one of the mixes.

First go to system set up and select wing type and turn FLAPERON ON.

CONNECTIONS

Below where to connect servo leads to the receiver output ports on the receiver.
Throttle to throttle
Rudder to rudder
Elevators to elevator
Right aileron to aileron
Left aileron to flap
Both flaps to gear with a Y connection
The Aux2 remains not connected.

SERVO REVERSING

Throttle: normal
Aileron: reverse
Elevator: reverse
Rudder: reverse
Gear: normal
Flap: reverse
Aux2: normal

SETTING THE FLAPS ON THE GEAR CHANNEL

Set the gear travel adjust so that when the gear switch (upper left) is in position 0 the flap trailing edges are even with the trailing edge of the wings. When the gear switch is moved to the position 1 set the value for the amount of flap listed in the manual or the amount you wish the flap to be down.

SETTING UP THE AILERONS FOR CAMBER AND REFLEX

1. In the function menu go to FLAP SYS
2. Set the NORM to UP 20 %
Set ELEV 0
3. Set MID to 0 %
Set ELEV 0
4. Set LAND to DN 20 %
Set ELEV 0
5. Set AUTO 100 %

SETTING UP AILERONS FOR CROW

1. Go to PROG. MIX 1
2. Activate the mix.
3. Select AUX2 --> FLAP
4. On the rate set AUX2 switch position to 0 and the value to 0
5. Set AUX2 switch to position 1 and set value to -80 (minus 80)
6. Set switch to ON
7. Set OFFSET to 0

SETTING UP FLAPS FOR CAMBER AND REFLEX

1. Go to PROG. MIX 2
2. Activate the mix
3. Select FLAP --> GEAR
4. On the rate, set the flap switch to positin 0 or 1 and set the value to +50 %
5. On the rate, set the flap switch to position 2 and set the calue to +50 %
6. Set switch to ON.
7. Set OFFSET to 0

SETTING UP FLAPS

1. Go to PROG. MIX 3
2. Activate the mix
3. Select AUX2 --> GEAR
4. On the rate set the AUX2 switch to position0 and set the value to 0 %
5. On the rate set the AX2 switch to position 1 and set the value to +100 %
6. Set switch to ON
7. Set OFFSET to 0

SETTING UP ELEVATOR COMPENSATION FOR THE CROW

1. Go to PROG. MIX 4
2. Activate the mix
3. Select GEAR --> ELEV
4. On the rate set gear switch to position 0 and the value to 0 %
5. On the rate set gear switch to position 1 and the value to -15 (minus 15)
6. Set switch to ON
7. Set OFFSET to 0

SETTING UP ELEVATOR COMPENSATION FOR THE FLAPS

1. Go to PROG. MIX 5
2. Activate the mix
3. Select AUX2 --> ELEV
4. On the rate set AUX2 switch to positin 0 and the valu to 0 %
5. On the rate set AUX2 switch to position 1 and he value to -15 (minus 15)
6. Set switch to ON
7. Set OFFSET to 0

MIX 6 remains inhibited.

The FLAP mix switch in position 1 is no reflex and no camber.
Moving the switch to position 0 is reflex.
Moving the switch to position 2 is camber.
Editing _ _ _ forgot to mention_ _ _ Switch AUX2 is crow.

Movint the gear switch to position 1 lowers the flaps.

If there is any questions just ask.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Last edited by Zor; Jul 21, 2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added the line about crow.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:22 PM
Troy Bowman
United States, UT, Woods Cross
Joined Sep 2011
424 Posts
Quote:
I picked up a couple of the 808 #16 keychain cams, as well. I really like your idea for the tail mount. I had wanted to set up a tail cam, but thought I would have to mount it to the side of the vert stab.
I was going to mount it in front of the vertical stab with an H bracket of sorts, but it was too low. Then I noticed the angle on the top of the rudder, and it was just perfect for the radian in the bottom of the frame while looking down slightly at the horizon.

Quote:
Wait a minute... your camera is mounted to the top of the rudder and the camera image is always facing forward - your rudder is not moving! Do you always fly with no rudder control?
Actually, if you watch carefully, you'll notice the whole plane seems to slightly move to the right or left by a tiny amount. That's the rudder movement. I don't need to use huge throws to control this thing, especially when I'm trying to keep things as steady as possible for a video.

Quote:
Aiming the camera is difficult -- I had to put it in webcam mode, and use a ruler on top draw a line down the camera from the lens that shows which way the camera actually points, and it's not straight down the middle! That line helps me align it so the radian is centered in view.

I've never done a helmet cam, but having some kind of representative frame in front of an eye would help a lot, I'd think.

Thanks for your comments.
arcarius is offline Find More Posts by arcarius
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:29 PM
Troy Bowman
Joined Sep 2011
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
I groan when I see someone put up over an hour of video (wish everyone would edit them) but I did skim through the DX8 setup.
Yes, you're right. I would groan too. But then again, you can choose how much you want to watch anyway. I'm sure skipping through, you got the gist of what the tail-cam is like.

I'm still pretty new to the video taking and sharing thing. I'll try to be more conscious about editing stuff in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
I fly the RE Radian so can't do the full house tricks but the video helped me understand how it works. Thanks.

Sorry about the prop cut. Been there.
Thanks, I'm glad it at least helped someone...
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:01 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,793 Posts
I had to read back a page, but I ran across arcarius' post mentioning catching his RP, inadvertently hitting the throttle and needing stitches to repair the damage. Dunno if anyone remembers but I posted warnings more than once on this thread about the dangers of catching an electric-powered sailplane in your hands. Unfortunately, arcarius has provided me the opportunity to say........."I TOLD YOU SO!!!!" Please people, try to refrain from limb-mangling activities with your sailplanes!
Just to qualify those remarks, I had a serious prop strike on my hand during a bench test two years ago and I am still suffering the effects, (cut down to the bone and severed a tendon). I still need one more surgery to repair the damage, so I know from personal experience how dangerous it can be. It looks like a fun thing to do, but accidents happen.....please, don't do it!! If you want to catch a sailplane do it with a non-powered one, the only danger there is poking your eye out, (a less likely scenario).

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:35 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcarius View Post
Yes, you're right. I would groan too. But then again, you can choose how much you want to watch anyway. I'm sure skipping through, you got the gist of what the tail-cam is like.

I'm still pretty new to the video taking and sharing thing. I'll try to be more conscious about editing stuff in the future.

Thanks, I'm glad it at least helped someone...
Now this is the pot calling the kettle black, because I've posted a ton of long videos.

It takes a lot of time downloading these videos from the keycams, then watching them to find the highlights. Then you have to edit them down to the highlights. I also was using dashware to syncronize gps data to video, and spit out videos with graphs and gauges on them. If you're really into it you may add music. Some folks even have a stock intro and do a really professional job. Now some of these videos are really cool, but you can burn up a lot of hours to put out a good video! It can also take up a ton of hard drive space.

That's why I don't shoot much video any more. I kind of regretted it last weekend because I had birds circling exactly on the opposite side of a thermal which would have been cool on the old wingcam.

I do keep the GPS logs of flights though. Takes much less time to set up a google earth kml.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Sep 2008
296 Posts
this might have been discussed, but I didn't see it in the many pages of this darn good thread.

I'm new to sail planes. My wife bought me a Radian Pro P&P today . I have a DX8 and the 8 channel Rx that came with it. it's a bit big of a Rx, but I would think that I can make it work with a minimum of modification.

I would greatly appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction for help on using the DX8, and an 8 channel reciever. any advantage to individualizing the flap servos on there own channels? perhaps full trailing edge ailerons?

thank you in advance for you time and advice.
dcwwcp is online now Find More Posts by dcwwcp
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:49 PM
Troy Bowman
Joined Sep 2011
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwwcp View Post
I'm new to sail planes. My wife bought me a Radian Pro P&P today . I have a DX8 and the 8 channel Rx that came with it. it's a bit big of a Rx, but I would think that I can make it work with a minimum of modification.

I would greatly appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction for help on using the DX8, and an 8 channel reciever. any advantage to individualizing the flap servos on there own channels? perhaps full trailing edge ailerons?
Congrats! You have a nice wife! I have to buy my own toys...

I'm new to sailplanes too. I posted my DX8 (with the BNF 6-channel receiver) configuration file and video on the previous page. I don't have separated flaps, but considering the flaps can't go up, it probably wouldn't make much sense to separate them. Although, it might be fun to try to gain more aileron control in full crow by allowing one flap to go up along with the opposite aileron go down...

Another thing that might be fun to do with a 8 channel radio is to have another servo for some camera panning on the knob or something...
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:12 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Sep 2006
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwwcp View Post
The following Google search of the forum: site:rcgroups.com/forums radian pro dx8 full house setup

Led me to this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1990

Here's one with full span ailerons and throttle on the left stick: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1330755&page=5
Quasi_Mojo is offline Find More Posts by Quasi_Mojo
Last edited by Quasi_Mojo; Jul 21, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:40 AM
Joined May 2011
137 Posts
Wonderfull plane, I brought it on my holiday this year and had some great flights above this holiday destination

Flying the Radian Pro above our kitesurfing holiday destination (4 min 31 sec)
Stef stuntpiloot is offline Find More Posts by Stef stuntpiloot
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Sep 2008
296 Posts
excellent! exactly what I was looking for. I thank you and I apologize for my excitement making me too anxious to search anymore.
dcwwcp is online now Find More Posts by dcwwcp
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Feb 2011
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
I had to read back a page, but I ran across arcarius' post mentioning catching his RP, inadvertently hitting the throttle and needing stitches to repair the damage. Dunno if anyone remembers but I posted warnings more than once on this thread about the dangers of catching an electric-powered sailplane in your hands. Unfortunately, arcarius has provided me the opportunity to say........."I TOLD YOU SO!!!!" Please people, try to refrain from limb-mangling activities with your sailplanes!
Just to qualify those remarks, I had a serious prop strike on my hand during a bench test two years ago and I am still suffering the effects, (cut down to the bone and severed a tendon). I still need one more surgery to repair the damage, so I know from personal experience how dangerous it can be. It looks like a fun thing to do, but accidents happen.....please, don't do it!! If you want to catch a sailplane do it with a non-powered one, the only danger there is poking your eye out, (a less likely scenario).

Sonny
Iím with you on this sonny1. However I do catch mine occasionally under certain circumstances but only after I had moved my throttle to my spring loaded switch. That way there is less of a chance of accidental motor run. Besides itís a glider, use the motor to get it where you want it and then free flight! I just thought I would toss in my 2 cents. Stay safe everyone.
Flux Cobalt is offline Find More Posts by Flux Cobalt
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:44 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
watdazit and anyone interested...............
If there is any questions just ask.

Zor
I have sent you a pm Zor with thanks for your efforts to help. May I ask what Rx are you using?
Watdazit is online now Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:16 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
I have sent you a pm Zor with thanks for your efforts to help. May I ask what Rx are you using?
Hi Watdazit,

No PM received here yet.
Your post shows today (which is 22 July 2012) at 06:44 PM

It is here now as I type 07:14 PM

My receiver is the original that came with the Radian pro.
It is an AR600 .

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)