HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:10 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong911 View Post
Ouch. From you, Jumpy, that hurts. <smile> I appreciate your level headed advice here. I would own up if I thought I had caused this one. This is my first plane, actually. I come from helicopters. I love the float and the thermal hunt, so I'm gonna keep after it.

There seems to be a bunch of guys around here (Denver) doing DLG that sound like they know what they are doing so if I can connect with them I figure I can learn to thermal. If I have some wings, that is.

--Jason
Just kidding around, I hope you know.....
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:26 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Just kidding around, I hope you know.....
I take a lot of guff at the LHS so it's all good...

Your videos and GPS integration stuff have left me jazzed and got my ubergeek brother involved in this also, so no worries!

--Jason
Jasong911 is online now Find More Posts by Jasong911
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:24 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
815 Posts
Quote:
All of the wing clevises were detached when I got there. That should explain the jumbled surfaces. So, hopefully not a receiver (AR8000) failure. I need to use some real fuel tubing next time...I thought I saw some fluttering as it went in, too.

I haven't tried to fire up the receiver, I'm still in denial. Maybe tomorrow. The good thing is that my LHS has a new fuse and plenty of ESC's and servos. I just need the Boss's permission to move forward...
A point you should note about the old AR 8000 is that it is an DSMX not a DSM2. This is in itself not a reason for loss of control but you cannot use satellites other than those special to the AR 8000. I found this out on my Compass Knight when I lost control of it and it went in. I questioned Spectrum about it and I was given the information first hand. The AR 8000 came out a long time before the DSMX was talked about.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:16 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Well, it went in hard. From at least 200 feet. As a new sailplane guy I have had some knocks with this plane. On the last occasion, directly into the trunk of a small tree with the nose. This was the not the first time the nose had taken a beating. I have had at least 3 nose cracks and Gorilla Glue repairs since the maiden. This last tree deceleration pushed the LiPo into the ESC and bent the capacitors slightly. I chose to fly it again on the same ESC cause I'm cheap. I think the ESC failed in flight as I had no controls or throttle. Other damage includes both elevator and rudder servos being stripped. I have not checked wing servos yet but I hope they are ok.

So I'm considering a 10 amp BEC along with the new ESC as it seems that the stock 30 amp ESC is marginal for 6 servos anyway.

Are the HS-65MG's a good choice for elevator and rudder?

--Jason
Correct
The BEC on the stock ESC is very close to the limit, if not under the requirement asked of 6 digi servos on the RP.

Doesn't matter what Spektrum RX you're using in my opinion because if the BEC is overstretched then there will be issues, which you may well have experienced and clearly mirrors the exact problems I suffered on 3 aircraft.

On anything with more than 2 servos and any Spektrum RX I always use a separate BEC.

This may seem overkill to a lot of people who have not had problems but a quality add on BEC or UBEC will help protect your investment and only weighs 18 grams minimum.. You can compensate for this with a lighter lipo.

A 10 amp BEC may be a tad heavy and large but a switchable 5 / 6 volt and 5amp with 7 amp burst unit will be fine.

I use this one. http://www.4-max.co.uk/ubec5Ahv-3.htm

This approach will allow you to use a budget higher power ESC to cope with a larger amp draw from more demanding set ups but have the luxury of a quality BEC which is often the downfall of many more expensive higher amp rated ESC's. (In my opinion)

I don't necessarily condemn the Spektrum receivers. I have them in all of my aircraft, however, I'm convinced that there is a voltage sensitive issue and I reckon that I've cured the issue which certainly wrecked 3 of my cherished models by paying more attention to the ability of stock and upgrade ESC's / BEC units
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Last edited by soundcheque; Jul 19, 2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:31 AM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
815 Posts
I have taken delivery of my Radian pro and maidened it. From the launch it just flew from my hand, level and true. Beautiful. As other have said it does not float like my old Radian but it certainly flies very accurately despite........

Firstly my left wing aileron and flap in the neutral position do not line up at the meeting point by about 6mm. The right wing is almost spot on. There does appear to be a twist in the left Aileron. Question is how to fix it.

The second problem and being a newbie to flaperons has got me stuffed. When I deploy Camber, Reflex and Crow the ailerons do not function correctly. I am using a DX7 and have set up as the revised version of the Horizon recommendation. This is what happens:

Reflex (3 position switch to 2)
Left aileron up, left flap down
Right aileron down, right flap down

Camber (3 position switch to N)
Left Aileron down, left flap up
Right aileron up, right flap up

Crow (Gear switch to 1)
Both flaps down
Right aileron up, left aileron down.

Does anyone have a pointer to where I have gone wrong please?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:26 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Sep 2006
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
Firstly my left wing aileron and flap in the neutral position do not line up at the meeting point by about 6mm. The right wing is almost spot on. There does appear to be a twist in the left Aileron. Question is how to fix it.

The second problem and being a newbie to flaperons has got me stuffed. When I deploy Camber, Reflex and Crow the ailerons do not function correctly. I am using a DX7 and have set up as the revised version of the Horizon recommendation. This is what happens:
First issue: Disconnect the clevis from the horn and turn it on one direction or the other to adjust the length of reach (or whatever it's called).

Second issue: Try this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1603689

I prefer searching forums using Google rather than using the built it function. Google's "site" parameter makes this easy.

Google search: site:rcgroups.com/forums radian pro dx7 full house
Quasi_Mojo is offline Find More Posts by Quasi_Mojo
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:54 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
I have taken delivery of my Radian pro and maidened it. From the launch it just flew from my hand, level and true. Beautiful. As other have said it does not float like my old Radian but it certainly flies very accurately despite........

Reflex (3 position switch to 2)
Left aileron up, left flap down
Right aileron down, right flap down

Camber (3 position switch to N)
Left Aileron down, left flap up
Right aileron up, right flap up

Crow (Gear switch to 1)
Both flaps down
Right aileron up, left aileron down.

Does anyone have a pointer to where I have gone wrong please?

whatdazit,

It is not rare to have distortion in foam production.

Mine also has some twist but not as much as 6 mm.
Check the linkages with the servos at neutral.

Some of the things to check _ _ _

The incidence of the wings to be the same.
Mine are the same from root to dihedral and no discernable twist. The dihedral break to tip has about one degree of washout on both sides (right and left wing).

Flaps and ailerons
I have some slight twist.
With the servos at neutral I have set the linkages so that the inner end of the flaps are level with the wing roots and the outer end of the ailerons are level with the wing tips. This has resulted with just about 1 to 2 mm of misalignment where the outer end of the flaps meet the inner end of the ailerons. Fortunately the misalignment is in the same direction with the left wing flap about 1 mm lower than the right wing.

This misalignment (twist) does not seem to create a noticeable difference in the wings lift. The dynamic lateral balance is good.

Concerning the programming of the DX7

If you have used the programming found in the internet and reproduced somewhere in this forum there is omissions in that set up which cause what you are observing.

That programming as I recall from memory about six months ago does not show settings for the offsets.

Make sure all offsets are set at zero in all 5 mixes.

Also there was an error in mix 1 ....
It had .... Select GEAR > FLAP
It has to be ... Select AUX2 > FLAP

I regret not having time at this moment to type a full setup that works fine. I have two sailplanes that have the proper setup and work good.

Zor

P.S.: Quasi Mojo posted while I was typing.
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Last edited by Zor; Jul 20, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:40 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Sep 2006
47 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't see that part about the twist in the aileron.
Read this thread about using steam to fix warped foam: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1599065
Quasi_Mojo is offline Find More Posts by Quasi_Mojo
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:49 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Greetings

Hello folks,

I now have a Radian pro with reinforced wing leading edges.

It's ready to fly weight is 39.05 oz.

The manual calls for 34.6 oz; an increase of 4.45 oz which includes a 3/16" thick plywood fin leading edge 6" x 1" all the way down to the fuselage bottom 3" forward of the original fin leading edge projection to the bottom of the fuselage.

Also includes flying wires on the feathers to keep the 90 degrees relationship and a little tail skid that keep the fuselage rear end and rudder away from ground contact.

The CG is 77 mm behind the root leading edge.
The decalage is 3.8 degrees properly measured.

Note that some fellows have reported zero decalage but their pictures actually show just about 2 degrees. The best is between 3 and 4 degrees and that is far from the stalling angle.

More flying experimentations are coming soon.

Also more modifications such as hinging the rudder with Dubro small pinned hinges and changing some horns and clevisses.

Rome was not built in one day .

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,479 Posts
Don't be mislead by uninformed people about the decalage angle. My RE Radian has been modified correctly per Paul Naton's instructions and has a measured (with an incidence gage) angle of zero degrees. With neutral elevator trim and the CG at 83 mm it glides slow and flat with no porpoising. As posted previously anyone doing the mod should check the out-of-box angles carefully beforehand because there is some variation between samples.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:06 PM
Australia, SA, Morphett Vale
Joined Oct 2004
1,472 Posts
Has anybody tried covering the wing with laminating film to smooth and stiffen it up?
Desert flier is offline Find More Posts by Desert flier
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:19 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:35 PM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
815 Posts
Thanks Quasi Mojo and Zor. I will get back to the workshop and let you know.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:51 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
The video talks about 3 mil sticky back tape and the OP may have been asking about lam film. I have a slope Weasel covered with lam film and like it but watch what thickness you put on as it can add noticable weight in thicker sizes.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert flier View Post
Has anybody tried covering the wing with laminating film to smooth and stiffen it up?
I have been looking at that also, and at the alternative of covering it with a film such as UltraCote that has a two-stage heat process. The lower heat range activates the adhesive without shrinking, which I think would allow it to be adhered to foam.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave