HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Feb 2011
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
Just one minor advice, since you are going to on/off switch, I would reprogram the ESC to a softer start. The jolt of the instant start causes the prop hubs to crack around the pins due to undo stress (crashes are good for that also)
I see you hate programming but you only have to do it once and it does help.
It already seems to have a bit of a soft start and on the plus side I have already changed to an aluminum hub and spinner, plus aero-naut Cam carbon props. So that should help. Another thing is I donít know how to program the ESC, itís not that I donít have technical skills itís just that I do not know the procedures.
Flux Cobalt is offline Find More Posts by Flux Cobalt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:43 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux Cobalt View Post
It already seems to have a bit of a soft start and on the plus side I have already changed to an aluminum hub and spinner, plus aero-naut Cam carbon props. So that should help. Another thing is I donít know how to program the ESC, itís not that I donít have technical skills itís just that I do not know the procedures.
if you have aluminum spinner, don't worry about, truthfully the stock ESC is a royal pain to program with all the beeps, I also added separate BEC, just don't thrust 700ma to run 6 servos on the stock ESC. I really hate loosing planes to glitches.
Happy flying, have fun!
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:23 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,786 Posts
Quote:
Here are the instructions that came with my RP's esc; fully programmable via the transmitter.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:55 AM
Joined Feb 2011
88 Posts
Thanks for the directions sonny1. I noticed in the directions that it states:

Programming Menu 2 Ė Brake Type

The default setting is Brake Off. This option gives you the choice to have the ESC stop the propeller during flight (Brake On) or allow it to windmill (Brake Off). Use the Brake On options for folding propellers.

When I ordered an extra ESC awhile back the sales rep asked me which plane was it for. So I am wondering if they program the brake at HH.

But for a softer start I am assuming that I flow these steps.

Programming Menu 5 Ė Start-Up Rate

The default setting is 0.25 seconds. The start-up rate is the time it takes to reach maximum motor speed. Changing the setting to 1 second can be useful with power-fragile gear boxes.
1. Move the stick to center (between 1.4 and 1.6ms) for 5 seconds, and the controller will beep 5 times, indicating you are now in Menu 3.
2. Move the throttle stick to full throttle (>1.7ms) position to make changes to the Start-up Rate programming.
a. To select .25 second Ė You will hear 1 short beep. Move the throttle stick to center (between 1.4 and 1.6ms). The controller will beep 2 times, indicating you have set the program selection or leave in full throttle for 5 seconds to advance to the next selection.
b. To select 1 second Ė You will hear 2 short beeps. Move the throttle stick to center (between 1.4 and 1.6ms). The controller will beep 2 times, indicating you have set the program selection or leave in full throttle for 5 seconds to advance to the first selection again.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:55 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,938 Posts
Quote:
1. Move the stick to center (between 1.4 and 1.6ms) for 5 seconds, and the controller will beep 5 times, indicating you are now in Menu 3.
That is a typo on the part of HH, it should have said Menu 5. Once you have done it a couple of times, it is pretty easy to program this esc with your radio. The esc on the Radian comes with the brake on, and the one on the Corsair comes with the brake off. If you just ordered a spare, I don't know, but chances are the brake and soft start would be off.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Feb 2011
88 Posts
I have a question for everyone. I am going to make the flaps on my RP shorter, just for poops and squiggles. Itís an old pair of wings anyway. My question is; would it be better to have the flaps closer to the fuselage or the wing tip? Or does it matter? I just thought I would ask.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:59 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
I have a question for everyone. I am going to make the flaps on my RP shorter, just for poops and squiggles. Itís an old pair of wings anyway. My question is; would it be better to have the flaps closer to the fuselage or the wing tip? Or does it matter? I just thought I would ask.
Hmmmm....good question. I'm not sure there is enough difference to matter.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:12 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Hmmmm....good question. I'm not sure there is enough difference to matter.
I want to say closer to the fuse would be more efficient as to not interfere with the effect of the ailerons. (but i'm really just guessing more than anything)
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:32 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2010
236 Posts
In real airplanes you want them closer to the fuselage to minimize control issues if they deploy slightly off, as well as to minimize the chance of a 'stall-roll' problem. Deployed flaps are flying at a higher effective angle of attack than the unflapped portion of the wing, so it's possible that they will stall first. If only one side stalls, it's ugly, if that part that stalls is way out on the wing, it's uglier still. In the RP, it probably doesn't really matter.
Jimmitude is offline Find More Posts by Jimmitude
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:36 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
I have a question for everyone. I am going to make the flaps on my RP shorter, just for poops and squiggles. It’s an old pair of wings anyway. My question is; would it be better to have the flaps closer to the fuselage or the wing tip? Or does it matter? I just thought I would ask.
Hello Flux Cobalt,

The simple answer to your question is _ _ _

The purpose and function of flaps is to provide more lift at a lower speed and reduce the stalling speed to some degree. As they deploy equally they do not create a roll motion.

The pupose of the ailerons is to create a banked attitude so that the lift is used to pull the airplane (CG) in a curve/turn.

The ailerons are more effective with a longer moment arm.

That leaves only one location for the flaps and that is nearer the fuselage.

There is always a reason for everything

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Last edited by Zor; Jul 14, 2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Corrected "eveything" to "everything".
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:48 PM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,112 Posts
If you take a look at flaperons (ailerons operating as flaps, thus further out on the wing), because flaperons operate downwards they increas the potential for a tip stall at low speeds or steep turns where the inner wing of the turn is flying slower. So my opinion is (fwiw), closer to the fuse.
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:50 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Reinforced leading edge

Greetings to readers,

I said that I would proceed with reinforcing my Radian pro wings leading edge.

I am adding weight of just about one oz. Ain't that awfull ?

It will weight 38 oz instead of 37 oz.
No doubt it will fly like a brick .

Have a peek at the work in progress.

Zor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:08 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Yeah, i leave my wings on. SUV is big enough to haul it thank goodness.......................Check out that website for a list of most common modifications. I also have a short list on my blog, here.
Thanks for sharing all that information.
Watdazit is online now Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:00 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Petit a petit, l'oiseau fait son nid

Title translation " A little bit at a time, the bird makes his nest" .

A couple more pictures of the Radian pro wings leading edge reinforcement.

Zor
Last edited by Zor; Jul 15, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:52 AM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
Title translation " A little bit at a time, the bird makes his nest" .

A couple more pictures of the Radian pro wings leading edge reinforcement.

Zor
That's awesome, Zor. I would say well worth it for less than 3% additional weight. When you calculated your added weight, did you figure in the weight of the spackling as well?

--
Greg
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism