HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:23 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
...do not exceed any flap airspeed limitations.
Exactly. If your RP goes nuts when you chuck out the flaps, then you might want to consider a lower speed deployment.

The fact is that many RC pilots, across many different models, will deploy their flaps at too higher speed and then moan about the results like it's a fault with the design of the plane.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:32 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,464 Posts
Concepts like VNE, velocity not to exceed, are unknown to most RC pilots
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:52 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Jov I agree, I should of made it more clearer.

Seems to becoming a pissing match lol

As for how much down elev you well need depends on the air speed you have
Kill some off and it well not balloon so much.

Cheers
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:11 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,464 Posts
When setting up a flap to elevator mix we are usually talking about a landing mix.

Get plane up at least 100 feet so you have time to recover if something weird happens

Come to level flight at a speed that would approximate your landing approach speed. Deply flaps as you would on a landing approach, going to 100 % on your flap setting in the manner allowed by your radio and your mixing. For me the flaps are on the left stick so I can ease them in and out. Normally I do not go quickly from zero to 100 but bring them in over several seconds. And most of the time I do not use full flaps, but for this excercise we will go to full flaps.

Watch to see what happens in terms of pitch change. This is what you are trying to tune out. When you are done there should be little or now pitch change when you deploy flaps.

If you would rather start with some elevator mixed in, start with 20% done elevator to 100% down flap. Tune from there.

The actual amount you will want is unique to each pilot and each plane. I typically strive for a slighly nose down attitude to keep the plane flying. Otherwise you get a tendency to stall too easily.

Some people prefer to have less elevator comp and add the rest by hand. Some prefer to add more in the mix and then take it out from the stick according to their needs.

Your smileage will vary. to get it right may take 5-10 flights. Then you test it on landing to see if it behaves as you expect on an actual landing approach.

Now, if you want to use flaps to come down from high you do not dive to high speeds and then deploy flaps. That is how you exceed design speeds or overwhelm servos or flutter surfaces on a foam glider.

To use flaps to come down steeply you deploy flaps then turn nose down. The flaps keep you from picking up a lot of speed. On some gliders you can go 60 degrees and pick up very little speed. For most TD applications that is the proper use of flaps and the flap to elevator mix for glide path control and landing.

Note that I am not talking about F3B speed runs, pattern planes or hotliners. This is how they are typically used for a TD glider.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:18 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
yeah - what aeajr said...
timography is offline Find More Posts by timography
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:40 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
>
>
>
The DX7 programming is not very intuitive and I'm a little leery of messing up the good settings I have now.
Write on paper your present good settings then experiment.

You can always reset your present settings.

Another way is to copy your present settings to another memory and play with that one. The original memory will still be there.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:04 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
885 Posts
I have just taken delivery of my R Pro. I had a Radian for a couple of years and really enjoyed it but lost it in a cloud updraft.

I have to agree with guys who say the ability to put on and take off the wings for transport is a pain in the posterior. It would be nice to design a plug system on the ends of the wings so putting the wings on automatically plugged them in. I have noted in the forum one method of putting the Y harness connections into a cutout in the side of the fuselage under the wings. Do you glue the connections in place and connect the wires after the wings have been bolted on or do you hold the connections down and as you slide the wings onto the CF rod push the connection in? I am luck in that I can walk out of my back door and I have 600 acres to fly in so unless I take the RP to the club I would leave the wings on.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:16 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
Write on paper your present good settings then experiment.

You can always reset your present settings.

Another way is to copy your present settings to another memory and play with that one. The original memory will still be there.

Zor
Yeah, I could copy to another memory, but I'm too lazy to rebind the plane.
Maybe one of these days I'll try it.

Thanks!
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:26 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
I have just taken delivery of my R Pro. I had a Radian for a couple of years and really enjoyed it but lost it in a cloud updraft.

I have to agree with guys who say the ability to put on and take off the wings for transport is a pain in the posterior. It would be nice to design a plug system on the ends of the wings so putting the wings on automatically plugged them in. I have noted in the forum one method of putting the Y harness connections into a cutout in the side of the fuselage under the wings. Do you glue the connections in place and connect the wires after the wings have been bolted on or do you hold the connections down and as you slide the wings onto the CF rod push the connection in? I am luck in that I can walk out of my back door and I have 600 acres to fly in so unless I take the RP to the club I would leave the wings on.
Yeah, i leave my wings on. SUV is big enough to haul it thank goodness.

There are several methods folks have used to install connectors at the wing root, but I believe all of them discourage gluing them into the wing or fuselage. The wings flex at the joint and I believe someone had posted that pins break if you try to mount the plugs solid.

This website has a compilation of most of the mods for the RP, and the page I link has information about wing mounting methods.

Others who have actually done the mod will probably chime in here soon.

I would strongly recommend installing fairings over the wing servo. Same website has info about them. The aileron servos are particularly vulnerable to hanging on grass and stripping or jumping gears. The fairings solve the issue.

Check out that website for a list of most common modifications. I also have a short list on my blog, here.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jul 12, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:43 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
600 Posts
My PNP arrived today.
Box and contents look ok.
Probably won't have a chance to put her together for a few days.
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:30 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
993 Posts
Great flight today as I get her dialed in. With the carbon spar, taill stiffing and being able to select full span ailerons, she was lzipping around looking almost like a hotliner. Fun fun!
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Feb 2011
88 Posts
A new setup for me.

Well I have decided to take some advice from more experienced flyers here and I am going to put my RP throttle on a switch and move the flaps to the stick. I have been flying my RP for almost a year now and I love it. Currently I use a DX5e, Iím not into all that programming stuff. Anyway I put the throttle on the spring loaded trainer switch and the flaps on the throttle stick. It checks out great, now I just have to get used to flying with the different setup and wait to test fly it under this new setup. Thanks everyone for all of the great advice in the past.
Flux Cobalt is offline Find More Posts by Flux Cobalt
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:42 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux Cobalt View Post
Well I have decided to take some advice from more experienced flyers here and I am going to put my RP throttle on a switch and move the flaps to the stick. I have been flying my RP for almost a year now and I love it. Currently I use a DX5e, Iím not into all that programming stuff. Anyway I put the throttle on the spring loaded trainer switch and the flaps on the throttle stick. It checks out great, now I just have to get used to flying with the different setup and wait to test fly it under this new setup. Thanks everyone for all of the great advice in the past.
Just one minor advice, since you are going to on/off switch, I would reprogram the ESC to a softer start. The jolt of the instant start causes the prop hubs to crack around the pins due to undo stress (crashes are good for that also)
I see you hate programming but you only have to do it once and it does help.
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
Just one minor advice, since you are going to on/off switch, I would reprogram the ESC to a softer start. The jolt of the instant start causes the prop hubs to crack around the pins due to undo stress (crashes are good for that also)
I see you hate programming but you only have to do it once and it does help.
Sudden full throttle launch on a RP. Dunno bout that. Perhaps some do.
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:30 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycracker View Post
Sudden full throttle launch on a RP. Dunno bout that. Perhaps some do.
It is not a problem if it is setup, I launch mine full power all the time.
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck