Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:29 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Huh???

Please explain how "flying way faster" maintains the same airspeed.
Sorry, I miss typed that. Sometimes there just isn't enough coffee to kep the brain running at 100%

I meant to say.... "the higher wing loading makes you have to fly faster just to stay in the air". (aka heavier model = higher stall speed)

Yeah, that sounds a lot better.
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:58 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
Sorry I was apparently wrong with the idea of reinforcing the wings leading edges.

My Radian pro had damages to the leading edges when it landed in tall and stiff growths beside the runway.

I thought it was a good idea to install these aluminum rods weihting 21 grams. That is both, 10.5 grams each.

I did not think it would end up to be a brick.

It would be wrong to keep such a modification in this thread.

Thanks fellows for your good advice.

Zor
Ok I must admit I almost always disagree with Zor on pretty well everything, but this time he is not wrong. I have made the same mod on one of my gliders quite a while ago. It all depends where you fly. I fly on a beautiful, large sod farm on weekends, one hour away, but have 25 acre construction lot 5 minutes from my house where I fly many evenings during the week. Unfortunately the grass here is 2 ft high or higher and some is stiff as iron. I have grass punch right trough the wing many times and I have hit hidden bushes in the grass hard on landings, seriously denting the wings. I have imbedded 1.5 mm carbon rod in the wing leading edges, under the packing tape, of my Aerial Video Easy glider pro and one of my other, heavier foamie, these I usually land in the grass and the rod eliminated the dents. I have not done the Radian this way since I try to catch that one and Radian Pro every time, when I fly these on this field. This environment dictates extreme measures, however this mode is not so necessary if you fly on nice grass all the time or 'land on the road'.
Dan
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:24 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post

land on the runway
Gheeee _ _ _ _ a good idea.

Why did I not think of doing that ?

Perhaps it is because I did not anticipate a sudden wind gust estimated at about 30 mph and right across the runway like about 90 degrees.

Could not avoid it; It takes place in one second.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:32 AM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Gheeee _ _ _ _ a good idea.

Why did I not think of doing that ?

Perhaps it is because I did not anticipate a sudden wind gust estimated at about 30 mph and right across the runway like about 90 degrees.

Could not avoid it; It takes place in one second.

Zor
Hope the mod helps ya out with that issue, would love to see a vid of how she flies post mod
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:03 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
Hope the mod helps ya out with that issue, would love to see a vid of how she flies post mod
Sorry I am unable to post videos.

I think however that adding 0.8 to 1.0 oz to a sailplane weighing 37 oz will not be noticeable.

I just read that another fellow made a similar modification.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
I lawn darted my RP today from a few hundred feet when I lost control in a dive. The elevator appeared to lose effectiveness due to speed. My brain was took slow to click my landing switch and pull on the crow... It's a bit messy but repairable I reckon. Are there any elevator mods (bigger surface area?) to prevent this happening?

I had a 720P keychain cam on at the time but I'm struggling to upload it to iMovie so I can edit out the 15 minutes of post incident search time... Interesting watching the ground coming at you so fast... Anyone know why I can't import this video into iMovie, it's a bit over one 1GB?
Roo2 is offline Find More Posts by Roo2
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:36 AM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Sorry I am unable to post videos.

I think however that adding 0.8 to 1.0 oz to a sailplane weighing 37 oz will not be noticeable.

I just read that another fellow made a similar modification.

Zor
agreed thats not much for a plane that can tote near a pound of FPV gear.
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:43 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,170 Posts
I have read several times in this thread how RP pilots are losing control in dives. What are you guys doing?

I presume this is an unintended dive as this is not a high speed aerobatic plane. This is a slow flying thermal duration glider.

What could have happened?

* The servo that drives the elevator may have been overwhelmed by the speed.

* The flexible nature of the elevator (foam) may have been overwhelmed by the speed.

* Or you may have lost the elevator connection via broken control horn.

* Or you may have had a radio problem. Trying the rudder would have confirmed that.

If you ever get into a dive like that again and the elevator can't pull you out, add rudder. The rudder will yaw the plane away from the dive, then you use the ailerons to roll it back to level flight.

I once flew my standard Radian without the elevator by forgetting to tighten the nut that holds the push rod. I just used the rudder to bring the glider down. Too many people fail to learn how to use the rudder and so they crash because they don't know how to handle the situration.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 08, 2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:46 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post
I lawn darted my RP today from a few hundred feet when I lost control in a dive. The elevator appeared to lose effectiveness due to speed. My brain was took slow to click my landing switch and pull on the crow... It's a bit messy but repairable I reckon. Are there any elevator mods (bigger surface area?) to prevent this happening?

I had a 720P keychain cam on at the time but I'm struggling to upload it to iMovie so I can edit out the 15 minutes of post incident search time... Interesting watching the ground coming at you so fast... Anyone know why I can't import this video into iMovie, it's a bit over one 1GB?
Real Player has a trim option. You can trim out any part of the video and save it. There are other free software programs that will also trim video files.
See here.

The uncontrolled dive is a known issue with lots of sailplanes. I think it's because elevators on sailplanes are relatively small in relation to the wing area. The center of lift moves back as speed increases, and with a large wing, the rearward shift in lift can hold the nose down. When it happens to me, I use the ailerons to roll the plane and it seems to work. Others say use crow or flaps, but I haven't tried that. It's hard not to panic when the plane is careening toward terra firma.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:16 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post
Are there any elevator mods (bigger surface area?) to prevent this happening?
The RP in stock form does not have great elevator authority. Part of the problem is flex in the rear fuselage, and part is the sticky pushrods. I believe the main culprit is the narrow "waist" in the middle of the elevator that is not stiff enough to transfer the push rod force over to the other side. Here is what I did and it makes a big difference. 2 grams of well-placed tail ballast.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7896

Even if you never have to pull out of a dive, having a solid elevator helps you for every minute of every flight.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:02 AM
Today's forecast: Summer
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
238 Posts
I maidened mine yesterday. There wasn't any real thermal activity so I just flew around to get the feel of it. I went into a shallow dive and couldn't get out with the elevator. I thought for a second it was a radio problem but it was close enough that I could see the surfaces move. Flicked the flaps down, and suddenly I had control. It's a good thing I read up on this plane on RCG and knew about this.
92PathSE is offline Find More Posts by 92PathSE
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:13 PM
Canada, BC, Nanaimo
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I have read several times in this thread how RP pilots are losing control in dives. What are you guys doing?
How about a rookie stunt of flying into the setting sun and losing visual contact. Fortunately, I had anticipated doing something stupid and had a spare fuselage on hand.
mw757 is online now Find More Posts by mw757
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:37 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw757 View Post
How about a rookie stunt of flying into the setting sun and losing visual contact. Fortunately, I had anticipated doing something stupid and had a spare fuselage on hand.
Ouch.....glad you still have a plane to fly!

Someone should invent sun glasses that blank out the sun. I've seen some video cameras that seem to do this. Bet that it's possible.

Unfortunately, I am not the entrepeneur with the smarts to pull it off.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:59 PM
United States, IL, Dekalb
Joined Jun 2012
13 Posts
I just picked one of these up and have a few flights on it. Great flying sailplane for the money, just not a great flier in 20+ gusts. I'd like to upgrade the prop from the flimsy stock unit, what spinner/blades are you going with?
CrabCanon_in_G is offline Find More Posts by CrabCanon_in_G
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:10 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabCanon_in_G View Post
I just picked one of these up and have a few flights on it. Great flying sailplane for the money, just not a great flier in 20+ gusts. I'd like to upgrade the prop from the flimsy stock unit, what spinner/blades are you going with?
Many people seem to recommend THESE Graupner folding props. I believe the 11X8 is the one you want.
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member