SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:33 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
936 Posts
I'm all glued out. Has anyone tried a strip of self adhesive Solarfilm along the leading edge to protect it from new. Also by the time one has driven to the hardware store and then the hobby shop it would have been cheaper to sit on the web and order a new set of wings for delivery by post. Mind you it might be cheaper to drive to the shops in the USA. In Oz we pay about $1.50 a litre for fuel. Not only that but I live 100kms from my LHS.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:51 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:02 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
I'm all glued out. Has anyone tried a strip of self adhesive Solarfilm along the leading edge to protect it from new. Also by the time one has driven to the hardware store and then the hobby shop it would have been cheaper to sit on the web and order a new set of wings for delivery by post. Mind you it might be cheaper to drive to the shops in the USA. In Oz we pay about $1.50 a litre for fuel. Not only that but I live 100kms from my LHS.
You make a very valid point. There have been many times I have spent half a day fixing a $5 dollar or $30 dollar item and have wondered if I was spending my time effectively. The nearest LHS is a 4 hour drive, and they don't stock much stuff. The nearest good LHS is a 12 hour drive (Vancouver or Edmonton). If ordering by mail, it takes at least a week, sometimes 2.

That means the incentive is there to make it work with stuff I have on hand or can be bought at the local hardware store. I don't like filling the landfill site with things that can be fixed. There is another important thing to consider...most of the time when something breaks and you fix it, it ends up being better than when it was new. Ordering a new part just provides you with something that will break just as easily.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:19 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
Yes, taping the leading edge is recommended. It lessens drag and protects the wing from getting dinged up. I use monocote stick-on trim film in the chrome color. It comes in strips about 5"X4'.

First I cover the entire bottom of the wing with black stick on trim film. IMHO it's the most visible color against the sky. Then I cut the chrome piece the length from the fuse to the polyhedral break. Then I split that piece to end up with a strip about 3" wide. I apply the strip starting at the top of the wing about an inch behind the leading edge, and then wrap it around the leading edge ending up on the bottom of the wing, overlapping the black bottom covering. I like having a slick leading edge and wing bottom. I think the smooth bottom and rough top on a wing adds a little lift. Just a personal theory.

The chrome tape gives off a nice flash when the sun is out, helping me to locate and verify orientation of the plane at longer distances.

I also use Monocote trim tape to cover the bottom of the fuse to lessen dinging.

Chrome
Stock Number: TOPQ4110

Black
Stock Number: TOPQ4109
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jul 06, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:23 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
May thanks to all

I have now formulated a procedure to install the aluminum welding rods that should provide a dent proof leading edge.

I wish to thank all that have posted ideas.

I will follow up with some pictures of my work.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:43 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
I have now formulated a procedure to install the aluminum welding rods that should provide a dent proof leading edge.

I wish to thank all that have posted ideas.

I will follow up with some pictures of my work.

Zor
You could heat the rods and melt it into the leading edge.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for burned flesh!!!!!
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:56 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
You could heat the rods and melt it into the leading edge.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for burned flesh!!!!!
LOL i like the disclaimer!
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:05 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,568 Posts
this is why you should put your address in yur plane...
FPV Radian lost plane Police Audio (2 min 35 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:44 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
610 Posts
rcoconut

Which diameter BB spinner fits? The 480 shaft is 4mm.

RP due to arrive Thursday. In the middle of moving, hopefully will be settled in enough to assemble and maiden next weekend.

Graupner prop is backordered so the stock prop will have to make do for a while.
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:49 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Not familiar with your "Solarfilm" and how thick it is.......
Here is a link for it.

http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:42 AM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Check my blog...the top post has info about the Canmore GPS Logger. It's less than $50.00.
Thanks Jumpy. That looks very nice. So if i have read and watched correctly, all i need is to put that thing into my plane. Fly and then just put it in the PC and load google earth? Without any additional hardware and software required?

I just finished a mod i found in this thread. It makes putting the RP together and taking it a park so much easier. only needed a knife and some hot glue.
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:01 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,568 Posts
Looks good Coenraad. are you planning to put a black dot on the Negative side of the 2 plugs as a reminder which way to plug in. I dont know how many times ive plugged mine in, screwed wings in and powered up only to find i had a wire reversed.
I like the 6 pin plug mod so far i should of done it along time ago!
mine don't look so neat as yours.

So last night i added some more LEDS on the top of the wing. just enough to give me orientation when turning etc...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Jul 07, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:06 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenraad View Post
Thanks Jumpy. That looks very nice. So if i have read and watched correctly, all i need is to put that thing into my plane. Fly and then just put it in the PC and load google earth? Without any additional hardware and software required?
No other purchase necessary.
You need to run the data through GPS Visualizer. That's a free website that converts raw data to nice looking KMZ files. Instructions in my blog.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:11 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
l Looks good Coenraad. are you planning to put a black dot on the Negative side of the 2 plugs as a reminder which way to plug in. I dont know how many times ive plugged mine in, screwed wings in and powered up only to find i had a wire reversed.

So last night i added some more LEDS on the top of the wing. just enough to give me orientation when turning etc...
I couldn't stand it any longer. I ordered one each of red, white and blue strings. I also ordered a switch that plugs into an extra channel.

Do you use the flight battery or do you use a separate battery to run the lights?

I'm also thinking of setting up the mutliplex plug system and using my old wings (with the keycam holes) with the lights. I want to keep a clean set of wings for thermal duration.

Do you use the magnets or screws to hold the wings in?
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:10 PM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
l Looks good Coenraad. are you planning to put a black dot on the Negative side of the 2 plugs as a reminder which way to plug in. I dont know how many times ive plugged mine in, screwed wings in and powered up only to find i had a wire reversed.

These are JR plugs and can only be inserted one way. So you only need to check the colours when putting the wires into the connector. And i have ailerons front and flaps back.

And love those leds on the tips.

Thanks Jumpy. Think i'll need to buy some flowers for the wife and order the unit :P
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad