HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:56 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,983 Posts
Hey, snoopy, if you don't have an answer to your question by tomorrow, I will rip the motor out of my plane and take a picture for you.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:42 AM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Hey, snoopy, if you don't have an answer to your question by tomorrow, I will rip the motor out of my plane and take a picture for you.

Hey Jovanx,

Thanks for the response and the offer to pull out the motor,but hopefully that wont be necessary,all i am looking to know if there is a clip or collar that goes in front of that bearing,

Thanks Ron
snoopy3440 is online now Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,526 Posts
You say that you reversed the shaft on your 480. Did you take off a clip or collar?

I don't have a 480 motor to look at but if it needs something to retain the shaft it should be on the back side of the motor opposite the propeller. If there is a groove in the shaft there put a clip in it. No groove, no clip. In that case you could install a collar if you are not sure. It won't hurt anything.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:36 AM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
You say that you reversed the shaft on your 480. Did you take off a clip or collar?

I don't have a 480 motor to look at but if it needs something to retain the shaft it should be on the back side of the motor opposite the propeller. If there is a groove in the shaft there put a clip in it. No groove, no clip. In that case you could install a collar if you are not sure. It won't hurt anything.
Hey KaptonDave,

I will post another pick of a stock 480 and a revered shaft 480,as you can see on the stock 480 there is collar on the back with an allen screw in it to secure it and on the front there are 2 allen screws in the front to secure the shaft

Now when i reversed the shaft i ran those 2 allen keys back into the shaft on of them catches the notch in the shaft which i would think would secure the shaft,but the other end where the prop adapter will go there are 2 notches in the shaft on for the prop adapter and one for the collar,i dont have the parts til thursday so i am not sure if there is room or a need for this collar,but that bearing sits in the front with nothing holding it back but the pressure of being pushed back in,i would think that the shaft is secure by the 2 allen screws at the other end with on ran into the keyed portion of the shaft,the only concern i have is does that bearing need something in front of it or is that the way they are on the radian

thanks Ron
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,526 Posts
If at least one of the allen screws on the back side of the reversed motor are tight and engaging the flats on the shaft I think it is secure. A collar on the front side will not accomplish anything because the prop thrust is pulling the other way.

Just MHO because I have never seen one of those motors.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:24 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,983 Posts
Here are pix of the 2 stock motors. The one on the left is from the Radian, and the one on the right came out of the Corsair. The large black collar is not present on the one with the reversed shaft. There is a small split-ring on the front, which you can sort of see in the second picture.

I tried to take that Corsair motor apart one day, to see if I could figure out why it makes funny noises, but was unable to get any of the allen screws to budge. Did you use something to un-lock the loctite on those screws?
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Did you use something to un-lock the loctite on those screws?
Heat will sometimes do it. Try holding the tip of a soldering iron to the head of the screw.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:27 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Kaptondave
-----If at least one of the allen screws on the back side of the reversed motor are tight and engaging the flats on the shaft I think it is secure. A collar on the front side will not accomplish anything because the prop thrust is pulling the other way.
Just MHO because I have never seen one of those motors. --------

Yes that is what i am hoping for that the one allen screw is enough,it is sitting in the notch on the shaft so it should secure it,these are the original motors from the t28 and corsair,one is a replacement, brand new,and the other only had a few flights on it,but even these are different,one can is metal jacket while the other looks plastic,

Jovanx

Thanks for pulling that apart,this is why i love the groups people always go the extra mile,looking at the corsair motor and the radian they must be the latest designed 480's ,they are totally different,but i guess they are the same specs 980kv,the difference i see on the front of the corsair motor instead of having that big plastic piece with the 2 screws that always cracked on these motors they built that collar as part of the can so you do not have the plastic up front like my old design.which makes sense because a lot of these motors that were designed like mine had a lot of problems with the front cracking,apprentice,109,t28,to name a few,my carbon z is designed like yours ,its a generic 25 size outrunner but has no plastic just a collar built into the front of the can with a set screw to hold the shaft and a removable collar at the other end,which like you said are a pain and horizon should do something about that,i was lucky getting the two setscrew out of the front of the can but the collar i had to drill out,lucky i have others to replace it,they are a PITA,my yak z first week i had it i had a prop strike not biggie i bought extra shafts well wound up just about destroying the motor trying to get the screw and collar off the back and pushing the shaft out,wound up calling HH and they replace the motor free of charge,shouldn't be that way they should be replaceable,anyway your pics reveal a lot,it looks as thou i can put a little spacer or that little ring infront of the prop adapter and that will make me sleep better with something against that bearing,i should have my parts Thursday except for the wing but this will give me time to set this up i am looking to make this a platform for FPV ,so i have a lot to do before the wing gets here

Thanks Ron
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:01 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy3440 View Post
...am looking to make this a platform for FPV ,so i have a lot to do before the wing gets here
It will be interesting to see how you get this all set up for FPV. I have never done that, but the idea is appealing. I have a standard 1/4" camera mount on mine, which allows you to attach almost any camera. The one I usually use weighs 6 oz and sticks out like a sore thumb. The plane is slower to go up and faster to come down, but I suspect it is more to do with increased drag than increased weight. There is not a lot of room in the fuselage for additional components, so you have a challenge ahead of you.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:12 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,705 Posts
Just received my Contour Roam HD cam and I spent a few hours Friday shaping/cutting a 1/4" balsa wood to place where the canopy goes. It was a flat piece that fit PERFECT, I placed a 3/4" screw with 20-Thread Piece per inch count from the bottom protruding up(same size screw that camers go into a tri-pod), I also used velcro to secure the camera to the piece of balsa and more velcro to secure the balsa to the fuselage. All was GREAT, 'til I hand propped her to make sure all was well and the prop hit the camera!!! I was so bummed!! So, removed the camera and decided to copy this for a wing mount instead:

Mounting a Contour camera on an R/C Plane (4 min 21 sec)

Although it kills me to poke a few holes in the wing for the zip ties, I figure if JumpySticks could cut and poke his wings with no problems, I can too!!! (of course i have yet to do it, but i will.....)

Good luck with your FPV setup, I'm sure it'll work out nice, I think it's a good plane to use as an FPV!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Last edited by rcoconut; Jul 04, 2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: words added
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:27 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Just received my Contour Roam HD cam and I spent a few hours Friday shaping/cutting a 1/4" balsa wood to place where the canopy goes. It was a flat piece that fit PERFECT, I placed a 3/4" screw with 20-Thread Piece per inch count from the bottom protruding up(same size screw that camers go into a tri-pod), I also used velcro to secure the camera to the piece of balsa and more velcro to secure the balsa to the fuselage. All was GREAT, 'til I hand propped her to make sure all was well and the prop hit the camera!!! I was so bummed!! So, removed the camera and decided to copy this for a wing mount instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpROq...ure=plpp_video

Although it kills me to poke a few holes in the wing for the zip ties, I figure if JumpySticks could cut and poke his wings with no problems, I can too!!! (of course i have yet to do it, but i will.....)

Good luck with your FPV setup, I'm sure it'll work out nice, I think it's a good plane to use as an FPV!!
Here's how I mounted mine. I purchased an extra canopy (about $4.00 each).
The video quality is a bit better than the keycams, but I later switched to the keycams for a little less weight. I think the contour beats the gopro in terms of wind resistance when mounted like this. I had no problems with prop contact. For this mounting location you need to add some weight in the tail. Not so where you have in mounted near the cg.

Here is an example of a contour video. Proves you can ride thermals even with the additional weight/drag.

15 Minutes of Fame (15 min 19 sec)
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jul 04, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:38 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,705 Posts
Are you kidding me Jumpy?!?! Where have I been? I didn't know you had a Contour!!! And it's the GPS model at that!!!! Nice! And your placement looks GREAT!! What is going thru the "rails" of the Contour? The Radian Pro canopy itself? I can't tell how you have it secure to the canopy? And I hear ya regarding the CG when it's placed in the front. I guess the wing mount CG is fine with no trim or counter weight needed.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:41 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Are you kidding me Jumpy?!?! Where have I been? I didn't know you had a Contour!!! And it's the GPS model at that!!!! Nice! And your placement looks GREAT!! What is going thru the "rails" of the Contour? The Radian Pro canopy itself? I can't tell how you have it secure to the canopy? And I hear ya regarding the CG when it's placed in the front. I guess the wing mount CG is fine with no trim or counter weight needed.
I found a cheap plastic pot from some plants that we had purchased. The rim of the pot formed a sort of Z-bend which fit perfectly into the rails of the camera. I cut the pots and made two rails which basically wedged against the inside of the canopy and held the camera firmly in place. You can see the wedges in the picture with the inside rear view.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:13 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I found a cheap plastic pot from some plants that we had purchased. The rim of the pot formed a sort of Z-bend which fit perfectly into the rails of the camera. I cut the pots and made two rails which basically wedged against the inside of the canopy and held the camera firmly in place. You can see the wedges in the picture with the inside rear view.
I see it now! Very nice! Thanks Jumpy
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:14 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Had a few good flights with the patched up RP today.

The first one was a contender for the Big Sky contest, at 17:38, but I choked the landing...108 feet from launch...

The second one was not real long, but while preparing to land I noticed a cloud of bugs surrounding me, and they were rising in a thermal column straight above my head. I brought the plane over and managed to hang in this low level lift for about 5 minutes.

The third flight was the best, so I entered it in the big sky contest. I probably could have stretched it, but it was the third flight and the neck was getting stiff, so I played with a lot of aerobatics and the plane just kept getting higher. I pulled a couple of full crow/full flap dives during the flight. The second dive was nearly straight down, just after the peak altitude on the altitude plot. With full flap and crow the plane dives at about 35mph straight down.

Even with a semi crumpled leading edge on one wing (taped over with painter's masking tape) the plane still thermals very well. Wish I had cameras aboard because there were a number of bird encounters, and I'm sure the bug episode would be interesting too.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jul 04, 2012 at 04:23 PM.