Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:55 PM
The Flying Astronomer
Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
66 Posts
Hi All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown3rd View Post
What is the final opinion from you guys using a DX6i with the Pro? Am I correct in saying that it is possible to program the DX6i to use flaps but not CROW or reflex?
Yes I would like to hear more from folks about the DX6i as that is the Tx I got for my Pro and one the Parkzone
seems to be pushing but you cant use all the features?? what would be the minimum to take advantage of all
the features of the plane... an 8 ch Tx?.

And since it hasn't been used yet, still in it's box. Would it be worth trying to return the DX6i in exchange for
something else?

Cheers,CS
Rob
xrekcor is offline Find More Posts by xrekcor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:01 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
The DX6i would be the minimum, not the optimum.

A DX7 would have a lot more capability but cost more and is still not a sailplane radio but it can do more than enough for most sport pilots.

Airtronics RDX8000 is a pretty good choice at a moderate price

Hitec Aurora 9 is probably the best value on a sailplane radio at this time.

A JR9503 would be top of the heap but that costs even more.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:15 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post

What makes the 9503 better? Not attempting to open up a JR v Hitec debate, just asking what features makes it better than the A9 since I just sold my 9503 and am keeping the A9. Curious if there are features I am not aware of for sailplane setup that the 9503 has that the A9 doesn't. From what I have read, I think the Airtronics SD-10G might be the top of the heap when it comes to sailplanes. Again, not wanting a debate, just some clarification. And for those looking at Sailplane TX's, this might be helpful. Haven't ordered a copy, but it looks very interesting.
http://www.radiocarbonart.com/produc...io-Clinic.html

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:24 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Nice new Avitar, Diggs.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:37 PM
The Flying Astronomer
Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
66 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I might go look around at prices

Cheers,CS
Rob

Quote:

A DX7 would have a lot more capability but cost more and is still not a sailplane radio but it can do more than enough for most sport pilots.

xrekcor is offline Find More Posts by xrekcor
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:42 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
What makes the 9503 better? Not attempting to open up a JR v Hitec debate, just asking what features makes it better than the A9 since I just sold my 9503 and am keeping the A9. Curious if there are features I am not aware of for sailplane setup that the 9503 has that the A9 doesn't. From what I have read, I think the Airtronics SD-10G might be the top of the heap when it comes to sailplanes. Again, not wanting a debate, just some clarification. And for those looking at Sailplane TX's, this might be helpful. Haven't ordered a copy, but it looks very interesting.
http://www.radiocarbonart.com/produc...io-Clinic.html

Diggs
Track record of the 9303/9503 in competition. I have not done an exhustive analysis of the three. But if you go to an Eastern Soaring League competition you will likely see more JR radios being used by the top pilots than any other. So they are at least a top choice for top pilots.

I did not list every radio on market, just wanted to show a sample set. When compared to the DX6i they are all better choices but they all cost more.

The Aurora is about half the price of the 9503 and probably has most of the capabilites that most sailplane pilots would want. Is it as good as a 9303? Who knows. I fly a Futaba 9C Super and am quite happy with that.

But since you had a JR and now fly an Aurora maybe you can tell our OP why you switched, if you felt you gave anything up and so on. Also are you a sport pilot or a competition pilot?

Short and sweet would be great for all of us.
Last edited by aeajr; Dec 22, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:50 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
duplicate post
Last edited by aeajr; Dec 23, 2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:25 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,297 Posts
For all concerned, we now believe the low power situation is due to a few bad propellers, not due to bad motors. So if, on a fresh charge on a good battery you're getting significantly less than 15A (like 12-13A - we're not setting a hard threshold here) your solution should be a replacement propeller, not a new motor. As usual, if you're having a problem like this in the US, please contact our Product Support team for assistance.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:27 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
I think my post went right out the door so ill try reposting it...

Can anyone tell me what the dimensions of the pro spar? Is it fiberglass or carbon? What is its diameter and length. The reason I asked is because I pieced together a pro and of course the pro wings didnt come with a spar. HH doesnt sell the item separately and they have no part number in their database to locate one. It exsists, but then it doesn't type of thing. So worst case scenerio is I will have to order a carbon spar with the correct diamter and cut it to the correct length.

Thanks
Troy
yellowcolorado is offline Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:29 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Dave I called HH today and asked why the spar doesnt come with the Pro wings like the spar comes with the regular wings. Both people I talked to could not even find a part number nor had any idea of were to even look for one. One guy sad he would talk to the parts department and ask them if they had any spares, but what would they even charge me for this?
yellowcolorado is offline Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:33 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
aeajr,

Thanks, I was genuinely curious about feature sets. I never went into the 9503 extensively for sailplane setups. I have only programmed one fullhouse and that was on the A9 and it was caveman simple. And with it's ability to receive firmware updates allows new features to be added or improved upon. I just hadn't read anything that would indicate the 9503 would do more and thought I had missed something. It is a fine TX and I can see why it has such a great track record. I just prefer the ease of the Hitec along with its very robust signal, telemetry and amazing value. I think given a bit more time the A9 will be hard to compete with especially for it's price.

IF I end up with a pro in the future, it will be a PnP version and will get an optima 7 RX installed. I really love how the DX8 and the A9 both have the ability to import setups from other users. While I see this promoting lazy habits, if used properly, it is an awesome learning tool as well. Thanks again.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:04 AM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,205 Posts
And not the Airtonics SD-10? I'd argue the best value on the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring
I take umbrage at the title of the thread. "sailplane"...."problem".... The two words are incompatible. Take it from me, the unrepentant Paragon addict. When there are sailplanes involved, by definition, there cannot be any problem.

Quote:

Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:41 AM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
Can anyone tell me what the dimensions of the pro spar? Is it fiberglass or carbon? What is its diameter and length.
The spar looks to be fiberglass. It's 10mm in diameter and 70cm long with a 1 1/2mm wall thickness. That's roughly 3/8 x 27 1/2 x 1/16 wall in inches.

......Mike
MS_in_NY is offline Find More Posts by MS_in_NY
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:47 AM
I have to land it??$#%@!!
Mc Calla, Alabama
Joined Aug 2009
71 Posts
Radian-DX8

Where do you download the program for the Radian Pro using a DX8?
tlewter is offline Find More Posts by tlewter
Last edited by tlewter; Dec 23, 2010 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Entered twice
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:48 AM
I have to land it??$#%@!!
Mc Calla, Alabama
Joined Aug 2009
71 Posts
Programming DX8 for use with Radian Pro

Where can I download the program for the DX8/Radian Pro?
tlewter is offline Find More Posts by tlewter