Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 27, 2012, 09:51 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
After i inspected the servo arm, the screw has striped the thread in the servo and well not tighten the arm down. So a drop of CA is in order. Done it a few times on other parkflyer servos and works great
The same thing happened to mine when it was fairly new. I kept noticing that after flying the rudder would not return to center. I would adjust the clevis and then fly it again and it was offset again. When I went to tighten the screw, it turned out to be stripped, just like yours.

So I put in a bigger screw. It went in nice and tight and I thought for sure the problem was fixed, but no sir. After the next flight the arm was moved again. I figured the only thing left to do was put some ca on the spline itself and order a new servo just in case the problem was internal. It has worked perfectly ever since and the new one is still sitting here. If it was the elevator I would have grounded it for sure, but I figured a rudder failure would not be so devastating. The teeth on those splines are finer than a lot of other servos, so it wouldn't take much to wear them off.

I love the language at the end of your video. I use those words quite often myself.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Last edited by Jovanx; May 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 10:26 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Sep 2006
47 Posts
Problems with controlling Radian Pro with Futaba 10CAP

Hello,

I recently purchased a Futaba 10CAP transmitter and a Parkzone Radian Pro PNP glider to use together. The 10CAP transmitter came with a Futaba R6014HS receiver, and I plugged in the servo connections as per the Futaba manual (GLID 2AIL+2FLP: Channel 1=aileron 1, Channel 2=elevator, Channel 3=throttle, Channel 4=rudder, Channel 5=flap 2, Channel 6=flap 1, Channel 7=aileron 2). Upon binding the transmitter to the receiver, however, I am unable to engage the motor using the left throttle stick. I thought the problem was with the glider's motor, but I took it back to the hobby shop and they tested the motor independent of the transmitter/receiver and found that it was working correctly. I then took the transmitter/receiver back and ended up exchanging it with another. Unfortunately, I am still experiencing the same issue with the replacement. I can operate all control surfaces using the transmitter, but moving the throttle stick will not engage the motor. I connected the rudder servo to Channel 3 on the receiver, and was able to successfully control the rudder in that manner, so I do not know what is causing this problem.

I have been pulling my hair out, constantly searching the web (this forum and others) for the last two weeks using Google, but I cannot find anybody having a similar problem. Can anyone assist me?

BTW - helpful hint in searching this and other forums using the Google "site:" parameter:

site:rcgroups.com/forums +"futaba 10c" throttle
Quasi_Mojo is offline Find More Posts by Quasi_Mojo
Old May 27, 2012, 10:26 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
I wonder if the servo arm is bumping something in the radio compartment? It doesn't seem like aerodynamic forces on the rudder could strip splines.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old May 27, 2012, 10:30 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi_Mojo View Post
Hello,

I recently purchased a Futaba 10CAP transmitter and a Parkzone Radian Pro PNP glider to use together. The 10CAP transmitter came with a Futaba R6014HS receiver, and I plugged in the servo connections as per the Futaba manual (Channel 1=aileron 1, Channel 2=elevator, Channel 3=throttle, Channel 4=rudder, Channel 5=flap 2, Channel 6=flap 1, Channel 7=aileron 2). Upon binding the transmitter to the receiver, however, I am unable to engage the motor using the left throttle stick. I thought the problem was with the glider's motor, but I took it back to the hobby shop and they tested the motor independent of the transmitter/receiver and found that it was working correctly. I then took the transmitter/receiver back and ended up exchanging it with another. Unfortunately, I am still experiencing the same issue with the replacement. I can operate all control surfaces using the transmitter, but moving the throttle stick will not engage the motor. I connected the rudder servo to Channel 3 on the receiver, and was able to successfully control the rudder in that manner, so I do not know what is causing this problem.

I have been pulling my hair out, constantly searching the web (this forum and others) for the last two weeks using Google, but I cannot find anybody having a similar problem. Can anyone assist me?

BTW - helpful hint in searching this and other forums using the Google "site:" parameter:

Are you getting the three rising tones from the esc when you hook up the battery? you should get one high beep, three low beeps when you first connect, then when the esc senses closed throttle, it should give three quick rising tones sounding like "ta da dum". Those last three tones indicate that the throttle is armed and ready.

If not, then maybe the throttle trim is not all the way down? Throttle must be all the way back for the esc to arm the throttle.

Otherwise bring the radio and the plane to the LHS and maybe they will be able to solve the mystery.

Nice radio you have there.
Last edited by JumpySticks; May 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:34 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Sep 2006
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Are you getting the three rising tones from the esc when you hook up the battery? you should get one high beep, three low beeps when you first connect, then when the esc senses closed throttle, it should give three quick rising tones sounding like "ta da dum". Those last three tones indicate that the throttle is armed and ready.

If not, then maybe the throttle trim is not all the way down? Throttle must be all the way back for the esc to arm the throttle.

Otherwise bring the radio and the plane to the LHS and maybe they will be able to solve the mystery.
I receive the single beep, followed by three low beeps when plugging in the battery - nothing after that. I made sure the throttle stick was all the way down before connecting the battery, and even tried reversing channel 3, but still no go.

I had planned to take the whole shebang to the LHS tomorrow, but thought I would see if I can resolve with the help of more experienced users.
Last edited by Quasi_Mojo; May 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Yeah, the throttle is not arming for some reason. That radio has so much programming, it could be a simple as a switch setting. Maybe a switch turns the throttle to a flap or crow switch. Might try fiddling with some of the mode switches. If you flip one, wait a few seconds you may get the throttle arming tones. Just make sure the stick is back and the trim is also back.
Another guess is that there is a throttle hold setting that's not allowing the throttle channel to go full off. That would be mapped to a switch too.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:55 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
You say the throttle stick is back, but is the trim also all the way back? The trim is a little rocker to the right of the throttle stick. Pull it back and hold until it does not beep any more. Then pull the throttle stick back and try to connect.
Old May 27, 2012, 11:42 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
The same thing happened to mine when it was fairly new. I kept noticing that after flying the rudder would not return to center. I would adjust the clevis and then fly it again and it was offset again. When I went to tighten the screw, it turned out to be stripped, just like yours.

So I put in a bigger screw. It went in nice and tight and I thought for sure the problem was fixed, but no sir. After the next flight the arm was moved again. I figured the only thing left to do was put some ca on the spline itself and order a new servo just in case the problem was internal. It has worked perfectly ever since and the new one is still sitting here. If it was the elevator I would have grounded it for sure, but I figured a rudder failure would not be so devastating. The teeth on those splines are finer than a lot of other servos, so it wouldn't take much to wear them off.

I love the language at the end of your video. I use those words quite often myself.
Yea same here, i tried a bigger screw, but the inner treads of the servo spine was srtips abit, i jsut jsut CAand the stock screw.

yeait wasafun flight lol i though about editing someparts out, but asisaid, i was to lazzzzy!!

Quote:
I wonder if the servo arm is bumping something in the radio compartment? It doesn't seem like aerodynamic forces on the rudder could strip splines.
Na Jumpy not hitting anything at all, the only thing i could think was the force of the wing hitting something.."freinds shin" the impact forced the arm to skip.

I just did my reg maintence of checking the motor mount screws and nose cone making sure all was tight.
Firewall screws were a bit loose! and also reset the flap servo arms to give more up when in reflex mode.

Planning a sunrise flight here tomorrow if the winds stay as forecasted
Newfoundland, Ice Bergs. (5 min 43 sec)
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2012, 11:52 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Sep 2006
47 Posts
Quote:
You say the throttle stick is back, but is the trim also all the way back? The trim is a little rocker to the right of the throttle stick. Pull it back and hold until it does not beep any more. Then pull the throttle stick back and try to connect.
I tried adjusting the throttle trim all the way down, then connecting the battery - same number of beeps. I also tried moving the trim all the way to the top - same issue.

I try flipping all switches every time I make a change and reconnect the battery.
Old May 27, 2012, 11:53 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
I don't believe there was ever anything inhibiting the motion of the arm. I do know that when I first got the plane the control rods were very sticky, and I eventually took them out and sanded them down. This is a well-known problem. The only reason for the threads to be stripped is that somebody tightened that screw too much and it was not me. Once the threads are stripped, it is not hard to imagine that the spline could be damaged by the drag of the sticky pushrods.

I figure that sanding those pushrods is the one "must-do" mod before flying this plane. Of course, replacing them with better push rods is another option.
Old May 27, 2012, 11:55 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovanx View Post

i figure that sanding those pushrods is the one "must-do" mod before flying this plane. Of course, replacing them with better push rods is another option.
+1
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 12:01 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
I tried adjusting the throttle trim all the way down, then connecting the battery - same number of beeps. I also tried moving the trim all the way to the top - same issue.

I try flipping all switches every time I make a change and reconnect the battery.
There is one thing that can cause the symptoms you describe. That is having the transmitter and receiver too close together. Try moving the transmitter several feet away before connecting the battery.
Old May 28, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
Quote:
Hello,

I recently purchased a Futaba 10CAP transmitter and a Parkzone Radian Pro PNP glider to use together. The 10CAP transmitter came with a Futaba R6014HS receiver, and I plugged in the servo connections as per the Futaba manual (GLID 2AIL+2FLP: Channel 1=aileron 1, Channel 2=elevator, Channel 3=throttle, Channel 4=rudder, Channel 5=flap 2, Channel 6=flap 1, Channel 7=aileron 2). Upon binding the transmitter to the receiver, however, I am unable to engage the motor using the left throttle stick. I thought the problem was with the glider's motor, but I took it back to the hobby shop and they tested the motor independent of the transmitter/receiver and found that it was working correctly. I then took the transmitter/receiver back and ended up exchanging it with another. Unfortunately, I am still experiencing the same issue with the replacement. I can operate all control surfaces using the transmitter, but moving the throttle stick will not engage the motor. I connected the rudder servo to Channel 3 on the receiver, and was able to successfully control the rudder in that manner, so I do not know what is causing this problem.

Based on my somewhat limited experience in GLID (2A+2F) mode the throttle stick works the flaps, not the throttle. I reckon that's ya problem! I couldn't get ch3 working as throttle on my 10 CAP either. I couldn't figure out how to assign ch3 to another control (not the throttle stick which is tied up with the flaps). Only the higher channels appear to be flexibly assignable around the various input switches, knobs and sliders. I resolved it by plugging the ESC into ch8 on my Rx (because I had an 8ch Rx) and assigning ch8 to one of the VR sliders on the back of the Tx. You could use one of the knobs or even a switch (0-100% kaboom!) to control throttle if you're brave enough. You also need to reverse the throttle channel (rev ch8 if you choose it too) to get the ESC to arm and work.
Roo2 is offline Find More Posts by Roo2
Last edited by Roo2; May 28, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old May 28, 2012, 07:23 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,040 Posts
Quote:
Hello,

As stated above, the landing mix is usually on the left stick for a glider. True gliders have no motor. So the flaps, or more correctly, the landing mix, is managed by the left stick. Normally, the motor, if you have one, is moved to another control like a switch or a slider.

On advanced radios the concept of channel 3 = throttle = left stick goes out the window.

You can put the throttle on any channel and assign it to any number of devices. Throttle may reside on channel 3 and on the left stick by default but that is only the standard set-up not the only set-up. The throttle can be assigned to any number of devices on any number of channels. So, you don't move channel 3 to a slider or a switch, you move the throttle to the slider or switch, probably on another channel.

On e-gliders it is common to assign the throttle to a switch for on/off use. After all, on a glider, the motor is only used to climb to altitude, then you turn it off. So why have it on a variable control like the left stick. Much better to put the landing mix there so you can precicely control your landings.

On my 9C Super, in glider 2 flap set-up, when I operate crow from the left stick, it moves channels 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 That is both ailerons, both flaps an the elevator. Channel 3 is not affected at all. On my gliders channel 3 is where I usually plug the receiver battery.

If you are setting up an electric glider and want to keep the throttle on the left stick ( why?) then move your landing mix somewhere else, or don't use glider set-ups, use airplane set-ups as that is how airplanes are operated. But if I was setting up a full house e-glider I would have landing mix on the left stick and the throttle somewhere else.

Futaba throttle channel quirk - However if you have problems electric models with your Futaba radio, REVERSE THE THROTTLE CHANNEL! During set-up remove the prop or you might get hurt!

For some reason Futaba follows an opposite approach from how the throttle is handled from every other maker. I have 2 Futaba 9C radios and before I even start to hook up an electric plane, I reverse the throttle channel.

So even though your throttle stick is all the way down the ESC is reading it as being at full. Reverse the throttle channel and it will work fine.

I am very suprised the hobby shop did not know this. You might want to speak to a different clerk next time.

Before there were computer radios full house glider pilots had ailerons on a Y, flaps on a Y and would put the flaps on the left stick. If there was a motor control that was oved to a switch which was normally channel 5, the landing gear switch, for an electric glider.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; May 28, 2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old May 28, 2012, 07:27 AM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2004
25 Posts
Quote:
Hello,

Have you tried reversing the throttle channel in your TX ??
With Futaba TX's this is sometimes necessary.
Leohoy is offline Find More Posts by Leohoy