HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2012, 12:00 AM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2010
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
... That is the spirit that keeps science-fiction alive. The rewards are there, but so are the dangers.
Excellent point. That's also why sim's will never surpass reality. I can crash 20 times an hour in a sim and there are no consequences, no excitement. When I stall the RP twenty feet off the deck, and have to kick the nose over and JJJUUUUSSSTTTT get the nose back up before it hits hard deck, my heart is going just like I was in that airplane. Not so with a sim. Nothing like having skin in the game to make it more interesting.

And I don't want to get your heroin/sim addiction going, but I fly a passle of gliders in X-plane. It's actually taught me a lot about flying RC sailplanes.

Keep 'em flying!
Jimmitude is offline Find More Posts by Jimmitude
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2012, 12:11 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
It still amazes me that we only learned to fly little over 100 years ago, and wound up landing on the moon only 60 years later. Sad that today we cannot even put a man in orbit.
That statement says it all. There was a day when we wanted to go to the moon just do do it and see what happens, for the spirit of adventure. Now there is no reason to go there because we can't make money doing it. We have reduced ourselves to a state where nothing is worth doing on a large scale unless money can be made.

That's why the space program has moved from the public to the private sector. Gobs of public money was spent getting that space station up there, and now it is the property of any entrepreneur who can afford to get there. We can still put a man in orbit, but only if it makes money for somebody. Pure science is dead. What does this have to do with the Radian Pro? Well..umm..uhh..I'm not sure. Wait...I've got it.

We fly these planes to do pure scientific research in the field of robotics. All the experience that is gained will ultimately take us to the stars.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old May 24, 2012, 02:00 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Please try to stay on topic guys... this thread doesn't have to be as long as it is.
It is not helpful to try and wade through all these off topic discussions.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Last edited by Kenny Sharp; May 24, 2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old May 24, 2012, 08:21 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
Please try to stay on topic guys... this thread doesn't have to be as long as it is.
Why get uptight about a little side discussion?

If we were sitting around at the flying field, do you think the discussion would only be about our planes? What's the harm? I haven't heard of any pixel shortage lately and the scroll bar is easy to use. Skip what you don't like.

The thread is long because it is active...lots of folks come here. That's why you can get help quickly.

There is a comprehensive website for the Radian Pro if you prefer just the facts rather than friendly conversation.

That said, if the moderator wants to yell "shut up" I'm happy to comply.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old May 24, 2012, 08:32 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
We were just testing your patience, and you showed admirable restraint. After all the talk last night I flew the plane and did a bunch of practice landings. (circling down until one wingtip almost brushes the grass, and then straightening out) After the hundreds of flights in that field, it was inevitable that the day would come when I would hit one of those football goal posts, and yesterday was the day.

It clipped the pole with the wing tip and dove straight in. There is no visible damage except for a minor dent in the leading edge of the wing BUT, now the cowl is too long. The whole nose section is 1/4" shorter and it's not even wrinkled. The compression must have been very evenly distributed. I tried dunking it in hot tap water but that had no effect. That was the first nose dive for this plane.
Old May 24, 2012, 08:38 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
It's the off topic stuff... it belongs in LTUP.
Nobody wants anybody to shut up.
Old May 24, 2012, 08:47 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
How can a thread possibly stay on topic for 600+ pages? The original use of the thread was probably done and dusted by page 20, anything after that is just chat amoung Radian owners...
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old May 24, 2012, 08:53 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
How can a thread possibly stay on topic for 600+ pages? The original use of the thread was probably done and dusted by page 20, anything after that is just chat amoung Radian owners...
On topic chat is appropriate.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined May 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
It clipped the pole with the wing tip and dove straight in. There is no visible damage except for a minor dent in the leading edge of the wing BUT, now the cowl is too long. The whole nose section is 1/4" shorter and it's not even wrinkled. The compression must have been very evenly distributed. I tried dunking it in hot tap water but that had no effect. That was the first nose dive for this plane.
I have a fuse with exactly the same problem. One relatively harmless nose dive (at least, so it seemed) and everything got squished together. And the canopy now no longer fits. I am curious to hear from others what the best way is to stretch it out again.
Mooes is offline Find More Posts by Mooes
Old May 24, 2012, 10:20 AM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
A bowl full of hot water works perfectly.

Insert the affected parts into the water and leave for a while. Needs to be hotter than your hands can bare.

Recently did this with my Stryker and had a perfect result.

This also works on the Radian Pro
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Last edited by soundcheque; May 24, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:30 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
I don't know if we're allowed to talk about Strykers here, but I'll give it a try, thanks. Pouring boiling water all around and inside didn't work.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:46 AM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
I don't know if we're allowed to talk about Strykers here, but I'll give it a try, thanks. Pouring boiling water all around and inside didn't work.
I use a little handheld steamer and direct the steam to the compressed area. That shold start expanding the foam.
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old May 24, 2012, 10:54 AM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Ah yes sorry, No offence meant by mentioning the S word

I just read your previous post on using the hot water, Satellite delay sorry.

I did leave the damaged parts in the water for some time, the foam is a bit of an insulator too so does not absorb the heat very quickly at all.

I was surprised at the result and the canopy on my "Not Radian Pro" fits perfectly. You may need to massage the foam a little but you'll need to wear a rubber glove so that you can tolerate the hot water
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Old May 24, 2012, 12:04 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
There is a loophole in the "off topic code".....you may mention stryker so long as you follow up by mentioning that hot water also works with the Radian Pro.

Might want to edit your post before the hall monitor shows up.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:16 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
I increased the flap throws to 80 degrees.
Problem solved.
Straight down descent at less than cruise speed.
You're welcome!