HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 04:26 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,940 Posts
Thank you for the clarification Radio.Active. The second ESC you mentioned is the one that I put in the Corsair.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLA1040

Not only does it have a metal case with cooling fins, it also has a separate on-off switch attached to a 6" wire. That means hooking up the battery no longer has to be your on-off switch. This is an innovation that has been a long time coming. In the future, all ESC's will probably have this feature.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined May 2012
19 Posts
Interesting discussion! So, I guess if one wants to be on the safe side, but not increase weight by much, the next step up would be the 40-Amp Lite Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC, which comes in at 48g (compared to the 31g BEC that comes with the RP). Any opinions on making this switch?
Mooes is offline Find More Posts by Mooes
Old May 22, 2012, 06:03 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooes View Post
Interesting discussion! So, I guess if one wants to be on the safe side, but not increase weight by much, the next step up would be the 40-Amp Lite Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC, which comes in at 48g (compared to the 31g BEC that comes with the RP). Any opinions on making this switch?
That would give you some margin for error for sure. That is the one I was planning on getting for the Corsair, but I ordered the "wrong" one by mistake. It weighs 62 grams and would be way overkill for the Radian Pro. I have a 35 amp ESC that came out of a Blade 450 helicopter EFLA335H. It also weighs 48 grams but I can't find any info about programming it. Because it was designed for a helicopter, it might not be possible to get a prop brake working on it.

Other options would be a separate BEC, or switch to some other brand of 30 amp ESC.
Last edited by Jovanx; May 22, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old May 22, 2012, 06:33 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooes View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! Does it have an altimeter?
Check the rest of the blog. The gps calculates altitude as well as longitude and latitude, but it is not barometric altitude. It can be used to plot your flights in 3D on google earth, and it can be used in dashware.

GPS altitudes are said to be not as accurate as a barometric altimeter, but I find them plenty accurate for our purposes. The 3d flight plots are very smoothe. It seems to me that the plots would jump around a lot if altitude was not reasonably consistent and accurate.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old May 22, 2012, 06:47 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
I have not had any trouble with the esc after a year and a half of heavy use.

As for the weight discussions...ligher is better in the case of light lift. It's easier to add weight if it gets windy. Start light, get heavy if needed.

I don't think the tail needs any reinforcement....but if it makes one feel better....reinforce to taste.
Old May 22, 2012, 06:51 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I have not had any trouble with the esc after a year and a half of heavy use.

As for the weight discussions...ligher is better in the case of light lift. It's easier to add weight if it gets windy. Start light, get heavy if needed.
That is very true, and it makes me wonder if they are not underselling the capabilities of that ESC. If it really was that close to the edge, there would be Radian Pros falling out of the sky all over the place. I haven't had any trouble with mine either, but the numbers still concern me.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:10 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
Remember that the discussion started about ADDING things that would draw power from the ESC/BEC. Alone it is probably fine. But add 100 ma draw for some gadget and you might push it over the edge.

Hey Jumpy,

"reinforce to taste", I like that.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 22, 2012, 07:10 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2010
236 Posts
Re: tail strengthening. I did it as much to give me some cg adjustment room as anything else, (I had a huge receiver in it at the time andcould barely keep the cg as far back as 70 mm.) In normal flying it doesn't really make any difference. In heavy turbulent conditions (which I unfortunately fly in fairly often) it does make it a little more controllable.

Re: Stock ESC, likewise, I've had no problems. I remember seeing a utube video (I think) about this, and the HH folks were pretty confident that the ESC had enough head room to handle the stock power configuration. Anything past that and you're on your own. And yeah, with all the things we talk about on this forum, if a bunch of ESCs were burning up, I'm sure we'd know!

Good flying!
Re: ESC with an on/off switch. That is a great idea!! I really don't like using a full power connector as a switch.
Jimmitude is offline Find More Posts by Jimmitude
Old May 22, 2012, 07:15 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
I think the esc is underrated.

After adding the new prop and spinner for better climb, I find my stock batteries to be overstressed...puffing and hot after too many 30 second launches without enough rest. I will be replacing those batteries soon.

Couldn't buy a thermal this weekend, and ended up with several 4 minute flights with 30 second launches in quick succession. If the battery is stressing and the esc is not getting hot, it tells me that the stock esc can handle quite a load.

Also, it was hot, around 90 degrees. I can confirm that hot conditions (density altitude) have a noticable effect on a sailplane's lift. In cooler conditions I normally get at least 4 minutes in dead air on a 30 second burn. This weekend in hot, humid, dead air the plane really wallowed around the sky, seeming to just drag its tail around. Where I would normally get 4 minutes I was averaging 3 or less. Some of that was a noticable reduction in climb rate (also due to density altitude) and less altitude at the 30 second cut-off than in cooler drier air.

Next time I'll make sure to go out in the AM, when it's a bit cooler, and when perhaps a greater temperature differential will generate some thermals.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:17 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Remember that the discussion started about ADDING things that would draw power from the ESC/BEC. Alone it is probably fine. But add 100 ma draw for some gadget and you might push it over the edge.

Hey Jumpy,

"reinforce to taste", I like that.
Ha ha...thanks. Maybe too much food network viewing...

Hope you can come post a time in the Big Sky contest sometime Aeajr! Your idea is still going strong...enjoyed by many.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:29 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,940 Posts
Just got back from another sweet flight. It was dead calm and there were no thermals. On the dive test it doesn't come up or go down, but just maintains that attitude. I was practicing doing tight turns almost down to ground level and then straightening it out for the landing on the grass. I prefer to land without the flaps if possible, but sometimes use them to get it to drop down suddenly after clearing the trees.

Landing is one of my favorite things to do, and I love watching it milk the ground-effect for as long as possible and then settling down gently into the grass. None of my other planes can do that.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:39 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old May 22, 2012, 08:33 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Just got back from another sweet flight. It was dead calm and there were no thermals. On the dive test it doesn't come up or go down, but just maintains that attitude. I was practicing doing tight turns almost down to ground level and then straightening it out for the landing on the grass. I prefer to land without the flaps if possible, but sometimes use them to get it to drop down suddenly after clearing the trees.

Landing is one of my favorite things to do, and I love watching it milk the ground-effect for as long as possible and then settling down gently into the grass. None of my other planes can do that.
That's exactly how I land. Low circles to about 6 feet and then a long low ground hugging approach. Trying to make it artistic is great fun.
Old May 23, 2012, 05:17 AM
Joined May 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Check the rest of the blog. The gps calculates altitude as well as longitude and latitude, but it is not barometric altitude. It can be used to plot your flights in 3D on google earth, and it can be used in dashware.

GPS altitudes are said to be not as accurate as a barometric altimeter, but I find them plenty accurate for our purposes. The 3d flight plots are very smoothe. It seems to me that the plots would jump around a lot if altitude was not reasonably consistent and accurate.
Thanks for the info!
Mooes is offline Find More Posts by Mooes
Old May 23, 2012, 06:24 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,636 Posts
Well that sucks, over the weekend was testing out my altimeter/DX8 and after climbing high to test I was bringing her back down when at about 100ft high the tail completly broke off.
Rudder and elevator came floating down moments later.

Other then the tail damage the fuse and main wings are ok, WOW after seing the grass and dirt fly off from the crash I taught for sure more damage would of resulted for that impact.

The fuse/rudder is all hot glued back together with 2 extra toothpicks and now just waiting for elevator to come in LHS.

Anybody care to PM me and share there taughts/experience.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip