HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 07:30 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheque View Post
The point of adding weight I'm curious about though. I fully understand the detrimental effect of adding weight in the rear causes the necessity to add possibly double the amount of weight at the front end to compensate,, clearly due to maintain the CG.
However ,, on the Radian Pro,, which is supplied from factory with the lighter battery and prop assemply,, this is being modified where owners are installing the larger prop and possibly heavier spinner and the larger 3s 1800 - 2200mah lipos.
I wouldn't advise moving things around in order to get the CG to the 70mm mark. I also did that, by moving the esc to the battery slot and the battery to the esc slot. I flew it that way for a while, but kept reading posts by experienced pilots who were doing the opposite. They were aiming for a CG that was further back, and struggling to get it there because their heavier props and aluminum spinners were making it nose heavy.

I eventually realized they were right and now the battery is back in the battery slot. It does fly better that way, and if you do a dive test with the CG at 70mm it will probably indicate a nose-heavy plane. Some people have even had to put dead weight on the tail to get it to balance how they wanted. I don't think you will regret putting that carbon rod in the tail. Many people have done that, including me. Larger batteries provide useful ballast for windy days, but would not be used for thermal soaring.

I would suggest flying it more or less stock before doing any mods. That way you can compare for yourself, and you will know if the mod helped or not.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 07:32 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Radian Pro quesion?

This topic may have already been covered but what are some recommended batteries at this point? I have a Futuba T7c with a 617 reciever in it.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom.in.Maryland is offline Find More Posts by Tom.in.Maryland
Old May 22, 2012, 07:45 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,257 Posts
850 65c 3s lipo.
45c is okay too.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old May 22, 2012, 07:59 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
850 65c 3s lipo.
45c is okay too.
That's what I want to get, a small high C battery. Right now my plane is just slightly under stock weight with the 1300. With a battery like yours, would it go straight up? I know that Radians can do it.
Old May 22, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,474 Posts
I think most users stay with 1300 mah batteries because the plane balances nicely with that weight. Fr endurance try something lighter, like 850 mah. For slope flying where better wind penetration is neede try going to 1800 mah. Most of my batteries are standard Turnigy 30C or Turnigy NanoTech 25/50C. I also like Blue Lipo 40C.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old May 22, 2012, 08:10 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooes View Post
I am curious what kind of additional equipment people have hooked up to their AR600 (for drawing power) with the stock setup (lights, loggers, cameras, and so on). For example, I saw some videos with Eagle Tree equipment in a RP, but I could not tell whether the power came from connecting those devices to the AR600 and whether any other modifications had been made (e.g., different BEC).
Note that the AR600 is not the issue. if you are using the stock ESC, the BEC is just barely adequate for a six servo glider. I would not hook up anything that is power hungry. An ALES unit should be OK but not more than that. If you are going to hook up lights and other things you will need a different ESC or a separate BEC.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 22, 2012, 09:10 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,257 Posts
Really Ed? ... The stock esc bec is barely capable?

That's a good one to know.
Old May 22, 2012, 09:14 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,158 Posts
I beleive the stock ESC has a BEC of about 700 ma. Unless they upgraded it. I could be mistaken but that is what I recall from the early evaluations of the Pro.

I am open to correction. I tried to check the Horizon hobby site but getting errors. Seems they are having problems, or I am.

Take a look at this post.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9097
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 22, 2012, 09:21 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,257 Posts
Got it. Thanks Ed.
Old May 22, 2012, 01:14 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,783 Posts
Here is the "stock" esc in the Radian Pro: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLA1030. It is indeed 700 ma @ 5A.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old May 22, 2012, 02:28 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,922 Posts
ESC trivia

It is the same esc that was in my Corsair, and also comes with some of the other parkflyer models. I think the Radian Pro is the only one that has 6 servos using that esc. The Mustang has an 18 amp esc that is the same size and weight as the one in the RP and Corsair. One has a Parkzone label and the other has an EFlite label, and there is only one dollar difference in the list price...hmmmmm.

Many Corsair owners have added flaps and retracts, but that almost always comes with a bigger motor and 40 or 60 amp esc. Some guys are using separate BEC's, but even the built in BEC's have at least 5 amps of capacity.
Old May 22, 2012, 02:50 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,783 Posts
Being a switching, not linear esc makes it capable of handling the 2 digital/four analog servos on the RP, but that does puts output close to the max 5A. However, most electronics components are rated at 80% of max possible output, so unless you add something to the load it will likely work just fine. HH puts the switching esc in because there are so many servos, unlike a lot of arf's out there which come with linear esc's.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old May 22, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined May 2012
15 Posts
True about the weight -- but also you shouldn't worry too much. I have painted the entire plane (one coat on the wing was terrible so had to repaint) -- also I have a full telemetry set in the Radian (TM1000, altimeter, temp etc etc) and the other day I was thermalling so fast I had to get down -- so I think you can fly it without worrying about a couple extra grams. Its true that you sometimes need to balance the plane (when I mount the GoPro camera sometimes its so nose heavy I have to bring her straight down) - but if its a calm day and I mount it towards the back end of the wing gap then a lot of times the Radian still floats like theres nothing even there. Next upgrade right now is spinner and new prop to give it a little extra power on the way up when carrying GoPro.
divashenko is offline Find More Posts by divashenko
Old May 22, 2012, 03:19 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
Being a switching, not linear esc makes it capable of handling the 2 digital/four analog servos on the RP, but that does puts output close to the max 5A.Sonny
The 30 amp esc on the RP does not do 5A. It does 0.7A at 5 volts. Typical esc's can do 5A at 5 volts. The quoted number of 700ma is so low that (like Radio.Active) I am tempted to think it might be a typo. If it really only does 700ma, then a stuck servo could end up causing a brownout, and you would not want to add any more loads (such as full-span ailerons).
Old May 22, 2012, 03:47 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 09:55 AM.