HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 08:09 PM
Flies Like Rock
Monument, Colo.
Joined Jan 2005
364 Posts
sonny and others,

I am using my Royal Evo transmitter that has a hitec module in it. Love that transmitter and have it dialed in to get all the mixes I want. The receiver was one I got for a pretty good deal when they first came out. I actually bought the Tx over a year ago and have never gotten around to using it. My intent was to leave this plane and this transmitter in another state where I visit frequently.

Aejar- I have the Radian Pro, which I will set up using 6 channels, not three.

I was hoping with the smaller battery I might be able to put the Rx up front without messing up the cg or having to add tail weight. definitely want to avoid that.

I guess I can mock fit the gear, check the cg, and plan from there. If I have to, I will buy the smaller Hitec receiver. thanks for the tip on the minima.

thanks for the tips.

Tony
tony w is offline Find More Posts by tony w
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 09:31 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Not flown my RP yet and just awaiting the Graupner 10x8 folding prop and spinner.

A few modifiactions included sinking an 8 mm carbon tube right through from the back end after I removed the rudder. You can just see the end of the tube in the pictures.

The shaft is 35 cm long and I put a tip on the end to help it push into the foam. This has strengthend the rear end completely.

I added Robart hinges to the rudder to prevent any further issues with the original hinging process. Epoxied them in.

A Spektrum AR6210 sits under the lower access hatch and the satellite is just behind the magnet of the lower hatch. I buried it into the foam and added a new white adhesive cover from the hatch to the rudder.

Next I completely removed the motor mount,, real easy as it was hardly fixed in properly.
Epoxy holds the retainers and a good bond is now made with UHU POR so that the whole unit is good and secure to the foam.

The velcro staps and mounts were completely removed and swapped round under the canopy. I moved the ESC and refitted the velcro mounts to allow the 2200mah 3s Lipo to fit neatly inside, and there's good airflow between the Lipo and the ESC.

Everything balances perfectly to give 70 mm CG and that's with the stock prop and spinner.

I have plenty of room to move the lipo around to get the CG when I have the new Graupner prop and spinner.

Lastly I added a few more black stripes and decals on the underside of the wings and I removed the original Parkzone and RP decals and made my own set of adhesive vinyl alternatives.

To stop the annoying squeaking of the foam wings in the fuz I wiped a tiny bit of silicone grease into the aperture in the fuz. This has worked perfectly and should eliminate any noise being picked up on the keychain cam when I use it.

I hope the pictures make sense as to how I mounted the RX and satellite. Originally the idea was to fit the AR600 but this has given me some grief with lock outs so the AR6210 was the way to go for me.

A range check has showed that the new choice of RX was a very good decision.
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Old May 21, 2012, 09:44 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,234 Posts
Is reinforcing the tail really necessary?
What other reinforcements are people doing?

Yesterday, Nick (my 12 year old son), had 4 five minute flights, he could have made 10 minutes on 2 of them.

I also did a ton of flying yesterday.

The plane doesn't seem any worse for wear and tear.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old May 21, 2012, 09:56 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,092 Posts
I don't believe any of the Radian Pro owners at my club are doing any reinforcement of the fuselage. The only changes I know of are prop and battery changes for those looking for stronger climbs for ALES competition.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 21, 2012, 09:57 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I don't believe any of the Radian Pro owners at my club are doing any reinforcement of the fuselage. The only changes I know of are prop and battery changes for those looking for stronger climbs for ALES competition.
That's good news to me Ed.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old May 21, 2012, 10:58 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,879 Posts
First time slope soaring

I've been itching to try slope soaring, so a friend and I went for a hike at the ski hill, which is now closed for the season, There is a semi-flat spot about half way up and I figured that was the place to try it. We hiked up, but there wasn't much wind, and it was blowing the wrong way. I asked her if she was up to hiking all the way to the top and she agreed. It was beautiful and sunny and the view gets better when you climb higher.

When we got to the top, the wind was perfect, and my first attempt to slope soar was a success. I used the motor a couple of times because it seemed like it was going to drop out of sight, but once it was up there in the right place, the motor was not used again. On the second flight, I spent about 30 minutes cruising around and was even able to do some turns and loops. They say you should never turn it towards the slope but that was no problem. We didn't get much for video, but maybe I could splice a few short clips together.

This video was taken on the way back down to the truck, at the place I was originally going to fly. The wind was blowing down the hill, instead of up, so I figured it could land up hill and into the wind. That worked out just right, as you can see at the end. The track in the snow shows how far it slid after touching down. I launched it twice at the top and twice at the half-way point, and only used 320 mah of power in total.

Radian Pro flying at ski hill (1 min 45 sec)
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Last edited by Jovanx; May 21, 2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Battery info
Old May 21, 2012, 02:14 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
That is very good to know.
TBH probably a belt and braces aproach with the reinforcing tube but I had the time

It made sense to put something in there while I had the rudder off to modify the hinges.There definately is a great deal of flexibility in the stock rear section of the fuz but however if there are a good many RP club owners who have had no issues with then it's reassuring to know.

However I have definately read in this massive thread that the rear section of the fuz is a weak point otherwise I probably wouldn'y have considered it,,,,,,,or maybe I would,,,,, just to satisfly my obsessive compulsive disorder,,,, as the stock fuz on my RP was very flexible without the carbon insert.

The weight increase is negligable and with the prop / lipo combination upgrade the watts / pound should not be noticably affected.

Certainly the other mods have been bordering from good ideas to necessary, including the removal and securely refitting of the very poorly attached motor mount assembly and the modifying of the rudder hinge.

All of these do not detract from the fact that the RP seems to be a good platform and I am looking forward to flying and owning it for a few years.
Old May 21, 2012, 02:25 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,092 Posts
Flying thermal duration gliders is all about keeping them light. For every gram you add to the tail you add 3-4 grams to the nose. So if you add a half ounce to the tail you add 1.5 to 2 ounces to the nose to balance it.

I heard the same concern about the the flexibility of the Radian. Never been a problem.

I have broken the nose area a couple of times from bad landings that would have put a woody or a glass plane in for major repairs. I did crack the tail boom area once. 4 drops of CA and a spritz of kicker and up she went again.

I would much rather keep the weight down than reinforce. If it wags the tail a little ... so what?
Old May 21, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined May 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Here's one that has it's own battery. I use it and am very satisfied with the result.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=342967
Thanks for the suggestion! Does it have an altimeter?
Mooes is offline Find More Posts by Mooes
Old May 21, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined May 2012
19 Posts
I am curious what kind of additional equipment people have hooked up to their AR600 (for drawing power) with the stock setup (lights, loggers, cameras, and so on). For example, I saw some videos with Eagle Tree equipment in a RP, but I could not tell whether the power came from connecting those devices to the AR600 and whether any other modifications had been made (e.g., different BEC).
Mooes is offline Find More Posts by Mooes
Old May 21, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Feb 2006
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
Is reinforcing the tail really necessary?
What other reinforcements are people doing?
Last summer, I was instructing a fellow with his Radian Pro. The standard technique was for me to send the plane up, turn off the motor and hand the transmitter to the student. Sometimes this didn't work out well. While under power, the plane would suddenly dive. Also, the student would be doing fine with power off, and then suddenly the plane would dive. My guess is that the flexible tail put the plane into a runaway condition once the dive started.

My thinking goes like this. While under power, the plane is flying fast. The stab/elevator are angled to pitch the nose up. However with a lot of tail flex, the stab/elevator move down. This starts a dive.

A number of posts in this forum have complained about runaway dive situations.

I recommended that the student stiffen up the rear of the fuselage. I haven't flown the stiffened plane yet this spring so we will wait and see the result.
williamson is offline Find More Posts by williamson
Old May 21, 2012, 08:29 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamson View Post
Last summer, I was instructing a fellow with his Radian Pro. The standard technique was for me to send the plane up, turn off the motor and hand the transmitter to the student. Sometimes this didn't work out well. While under power, the plane would suddenly dive. Also, the student would be doing fine with power off, and then suddenly the plane would dive. My guess is that the flexible tail put the plane into a runaway condition once the dive started.

My thinking goes like this. While under power, the plane is flying fast. The stab/elevator are angled to pitch the nose up. However with a lot of tail flex, the stab/elevator move down. This starts a dive.

I recommended that the student stiffen up the rear of the fuselage. I haven't flown the stiffened plane yet this spring so we will wait and see the result.
It's easy to set up a buddy-box with the Spektrum radios. I made up my own cable and would be happy to show others how to do it.

There are three things that all work together to cause an uncontrolled dive.
1 flex in the rear fuselage
2 flex in the elevator from right to left side
3 flex in the wings caused by a wimpy fiberglass rod

All of these things can be fixed WITHOUT ADDING ANY WEIGHT. My Radian Pro can do high speed dives and tight turns and tight loops and it feels solid. If you just wanted to use it for thermal soaring, you would have more control, and it is lighter than stock. Here is a video I posted a few months ago just to show it doesn't have to be a beer cooler.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7905
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old May 21, 2012, 09:02 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Good video

Point taken too,, I guess that it would have been fine without the carbon rod pushed into the rear section but it's done now and it won't affect my flying ability I'm sure.

Can't make it any worse

However, I feel that I've justifiably protected my investment.

The point of adding weight I'm curious about though. I fully understand the detrimental effect of adding weight in the rear causes the necessity to add possibly double the amount of weight at the front end to compensate,, clearly due to maintain the CG.
However ,, on the Radian Pro,, which is supplied from factory with the lighter battery and prop assemply,, this is being modified where owners are installing the larger prop and possibly heavier spinner and the larger 3s 1800 - 2200mah lipos.

This also seems to be a necessary mod as opposed to a good idea as I have also read that the CG is difficult to achieve with the stock lipo

Of course this adds a considerable amount of extra weight, even for the owners who are into the thermal competition market.

Surely my addition of the carbon rod in the derriere of the RP won't affect what I'm going to do with it.
Not only that, but I've still managed to achieve the CG with the popular upgrade of the larger lipo and prop / spinner.

I'm pretty convinced that the wing loading won't be impaired at my addition of 15grams when ,, all things considered,, there are owners on here who are strapping a GoPro onto it

I think if I was going to use a camera from the reporters on CNN then there may be a problem
Last edited by soundcheque; May 21, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 09:11 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamson View Post

No way!

Sounds like a classic stall from flying too slowly. Perhaps even a little tail heavy so that when it goes into a dive it tucks under. A properly balanced and trimmed plane would slowly pull out of a dive on its own if it has enough altitude.

However, if you have a sudden dive under power and sometimes a sudden dive in a glide, perhaps the elevator is not properly secured. But none of this would be related to flex in the fuselage. Othewise all Radians and Radian Pros would do this, and they don't.
Last edited by aeajr; May 21, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:29 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Radian Pro, Maybe I shouldn't have done this to the wings?

I have an extra set of wings and I painted Bob Smith Industries Finish Cure on them, (its a clear resin coat) Not really sure why I did this I guess I thought that it would allow me to paint them? The finish came out beginner quality, but passable. There are no servoos in the wing, Any suggestions at this point?

Thanks,
Tom
Tom.in.Maryland is offline Find More Posts by Tom.in.Maryland
Last edited by Tom.in.Maryland; May 22, 2012 at 07:35 AM.