Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 05, 2012, 08:14 AM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2010
236 Posts
Roo, Nice install! Looks like a lot less work (and weight) than my d-sub mod.
Jimmitude is offline Find More Posts by Jimmitude
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,419 Posts
Here is another option for the wing connector. This is a 6-conductor version.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...W/LEADS/1.html

There is also a 4-conductor one.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...W/LEADS/1.html
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old May 06, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined May 2012
19 Posts
Hello All, first time poster here. Just got a RP and assembled it last night and checked the setup. I noticed that the left aileron does not align with the wing as I would expect it to (see pictures). Trimming does not help, as it just shifts the problem to the other end of the aileron. Any suggestions on what I can do? Just try bending it up a bit on the left end? Would appreciate any suggestions!
Mooes is offline Find More Posts by Mooes
Old May 06, 2012, 04:55 AM
Electronics slayer
Reading, UK
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
I had this problem too. Just take off the control clevis and screw it out a few turns and re attach it.
SouthPawPaul is offline Find More Posts by SouthPawPaul
Old May 06, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined May 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPawPaul View Post
I had this problem too. Just take off the control clevis and screw it out a few turns and re attach it.
Thank you for the suggestion. I just tried this, but the problem persists. Basically, it seems to me that the aileron has been warped a bit (during production/packaging?). Can I just try to gently apply some pressure to bend it into shape?
Mooes is offline Find More Posts by Mooes
Last edited by Mooes; May 06, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old May 06, 2012, 05:51 AM
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Something similar to this came with my Topsky DLG. Pretty good (secure) but I'm going to change out for the 4-pin 0.1" connectors as I have difficulty disconnecting them with my ape like fingers. The ones I got from Hansen (probably available all over the place) are very similar to a regular female servo connector (same 0.1" pin pitch). 4 pins is all you need for 2-servos when you connect the +ve and gnd wires together for both servos.
Roo2 is offline Find More Posts by Roo2
Old May 06, 2012, 07:33 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,419 Posts
How do you folks that work with servo connectors make the wire-to-pin terminations for custom jobs? Do you use a crimp tool or solder? Any advice on crimp tools?
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old May 06, 2012, 08:15 AM
Germany
Joined Sep 2011
190 Posts
Hi,
I use crimp tool.
You can see them here:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/349
or ebay:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mini-Crimping...item3cc4e13020

or any another site for tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
How do you folks that work with servo connectors make the wire-to-pin terminations for custom jobs? Do you use a crimp tool or solder? Any advice on crimp tools?
kmihalkov is offline Find More Posts by kmihalkov
Old May 06, 2012, 08:31 AM
Germany
Joined Sep 2011
190 Posts
Thanks Jovanx,
Actually I am living in one good place in the foothills of the Rila Mountain in (Bulgaria/ Europa).
Last Month in this place - Dupnitsa City we have Bulgarian F3J Cup. It was very good.
One of the participants uploaded here some interesting pictures:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1644690

I do not take a part, I just was a spectator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Congratulations on your long flight and successful repair. I've had the plane for 6 months and fly it almost every day, but so far have only experienced one thermal. Hopefully that will change when summer gets here.
kmihalkov is offline Find More Posts by kmihalkov
Old May 06, 2012, 04:34 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2010
236 Posts
Dave, I just use a cheap wire stripper/crimper. It doesn't have a crimper small enough to work with the size connectors we use, so I just use the plier end to get the crimps started, then use the smallest crimper to finish it off. It took a little practice to get good, but after crimping servo connectors, a d-sub is easy. I used to solder them, but crimping makes it much easier to keep the wire lengths consistent.

I'll have to save my pennies to get one of those nice ones in the links.
Jimmitude is offline Find More Posts by Jimmitude
Old May 06, 2012, 06:21 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,507 Posts
Mooes!
That one is rough! do a multiple axi inspection: trailing edge of ail, tip view to trailing edge, poly break etc. don't know where to set you up for going the right direction if we don't know where you are!
I had great success with the steaming method on my pranged wingtip! thanks Gang!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2012, 07:54 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooes View Post
Hello All, first time poster here. Just got a RP and assembled it last night and checked the setup. I noticed that the left aileron does not align with the wing as I would expect it to (see pictures). Trimming does not help, as it just shifts the problem to the other end of the aileron. Any suggestions on what I can do? Just try bending it up a bit on the left end? Would appreciate any suggestions!
I had the same problem also. I tried steaming the end of the aileron, (as suggested a few pages back), but still couldn't get it perfectly aligned. I came up with a fix by placing a coffee stir stick in the gap between the aileron and end of the wing which placed an opposite bend on the aileron, (opposite to the way it was warped I mean). I taped the other end of the aileron to the adjoining wing section to hold that side in alignment. I then steamed it that way and set it aside overnight. When I removed the stick the next day the ends lined up perfectly, and have stayed that way since. In my case the aileron was slightly "U" shaped, which had caused the misalignment on the wingtip end, the above procedure straightened it out. If that doesn't work it might be necessary to put some opposite twist to the wingtip using a similar procedure.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old May 06, 2012, 08:48 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,507 Posts
wing tip repair /steamed

here's my result of steaming, i need to set up and match up for final skootchin'
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2012, 10:00 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
We all crash.

Some discrard and buy new. Either they have plenty of money and don't care OR they fret over it because of the expense. They get uptight and end up crashing because they worry about the expense .... so they crash.

Others fix. Once you learn to fix, crashing becomes less of a tramautic issue. And once that happens, you tend to crash less because you tend to worry about it less. If it happens, you just fix stuff. You can relax and enjoy the flight.
LIke this?
RadianPro Pushed to the Limit (7 min 59 sec)

2 crashes in 2weeks, if i never fixed her, Id be out $400 bucks lol
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2012, 11:07 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
LIke this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIaDv4l7pL4

2 crashes in 2weeks, if i never fixed her, Id be out $400 bucks lol
That was a great crash video, Eastcoast. Reality-TV at it's best. I can laugh because I know how it feels. I keep doing that to my Mustang, over and over and it still flies. The last time it happened about 2 weeks ago I called it "totalled" and swore I would never fix it again. Now it's fixed again and I had a great time flying it in the wind today.

What happened? It's hard to tell from the video exactly what happened. I loved the part where it came to a stop and the front of the plane was separated. If you could train your dog to come up to the plane and open his mouth and all we could see was the teeth, and then everything went black...that would truly be "Taking it to the limit".

Please forgive me for my bizarre imagination. I have crashed many times and I use the same frackin' language as you do when it happens. Great video...
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx