HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:15 AM
York, England
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
Hey guys, I am wanting to get into the gliding market. I have been goofing off with my HK Mini swift and it has been a lot of fun. I own several UM planes and a couple of fp helicopters. I am very comfortable with ailerons and flying so that is not an issue for me. We dont have good sloping areas around here, where I fly at, we usually end up having 3-10mph winds so I have had to learn how to fly these little UM planes in wind and frankly they aren't really "fun" in the wind.

So I am looking at wanting a bigger plane and I want it to be a glider. I was at first looking at the radian but the pro came out and I am a big fan of ailerons, so i guess the question is, those that have had both, how would you compare the two? Second, which do you think would be better for the area I am flying in. Plenty of space for either one, Usually windy (3-10mph) and the wind does shift directions a lot.

Thanks!
DD
I have the original Rad, and I'm still waiting for the Pro to arrive, but I do have other aileron gliders that I've flown successfully, so I'd go for the Pro if you're ok with ailerons mate. If the wind changes direction a lot where you fly, why not get a wind sock (even one of those fun things that people hang from their RV's) and telescopic pole? I've had the pi$$ taken out of me for having one, but at least I never leave anything to chance, especially when landing
SmartMartY is offline Find More Posts by SmartMartY
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:14 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
362 Posts
I got my pro today at the lhs. The quality was pretty high, however there where a few issues. All of the hinges were taped mainly because the foam hinges were torn or ripping The decals, particularly over the airelons were impinging their movement. The rudder is also making that sticking noise from tape. I will spend some time cleaning that up. I also noticed that while the boom is reasonably stiff, the last 3-4 inches is very flexible/flimsy. So much so that the tail feather were misaligned when inserted. Both the skysurfer and hawksky seem more rigid. The internal fiberglass reinforcing actually made it more difficult to massage back into place. I don't why the reinforcing wasn't extended all the way to the end of the tail.

I have come to like the bananna connectors that come with the Hobby Partz lipos, but I loathe the EC3 connectors. I bought some knowing that the pro would come with EC3. I made a connector but was struggling with the insertion of the bullets, I used a clamp to push the bullets in but it was a struggle. I didn't get them seated to the proper depth and I shorted the battery when connecting them.

Looking forward to get the bird in the air tomorrow weather permitting.
mnavarro is online now Find More Posts by mnavarro
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:03 PM
Joined Apr 2005
1,005 Posts
Got mine yesterday from the LHS; first one in town apparently.

Very few issues with it; a few cosmetic flaws in the wings where the foam density was a little lower than normal; RX tray a little too shallow to allow the hatch to close over the servo connectors; very tight battery compartment with kinda cheesy straps...my 1300s don't want to fit unless I remove the velcro pad that I usually rely on. The connector on the ESC was non-standard (for my packs, anyway), so I had to replace it.

I agree that the boom is pretty flexy, but I didn't see any particular issues after setup...the surfaces all came out in neutral positions. On mine, the tail cone runs full-length on the right side, but it's in two sections on the left side, with a very noticeable join. Don't know how that will affect things, but it doesn't look great.

Wing set-up was eased a bit by taping the flap and aileron leads together with some Blenderm; it makes insertion into the bay much easier. I've labeled the connectors with a paint pen so I don't have to fumble around getting things hooked up. It went much faster than I expected. I found that a stand of some sort is going to be almost mandatory during assembly. I'll have to come up with something, I suppose.

The conditions this morning weren't great...cold, turbulent freshening breeze with more downslope component than anything else. After range check, I ran the throttle up to about 75% and gave it a toss; it was flying immediately, which was a relief because I'd imagined I might have to really heave it. Climb out was ok, but not rocket-like; I was taking it easy on the throttle to give me more air time and to minimize stress on the pack until I can see how much current the system will draw...haven't done that yet. It flew very nicely but certainly was feeling the gnarly air. It seems to want quite a bit of rudder in turns and even seems almost to prefer pure rudder...at least I flew with the left stick for a while and it did great. The flaps are set for up or down right now and they were pretty effective when extended. Haven't tried any other settings yet, but up/down was fine for this first flight.

Flying for twenty minutes, doing several climbs, low-power cruise, power-off glides (~50% of the flight) and easy maneuvering, the pack came down with 3.80 V per cell. That's good.

I like the plane and am really looking forward to some decent weather with a little lift in it!
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Last edited by roidspop; Nov 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:10 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsmith123 View Post
9303/9503...anyone come up with the full house programming?
I'm still waiting to get mine. I intend to set it up truly "full house" with spoiler control on the left stick, and motor on one of the sliders, probably the right one to start off with, but maybe moving it to the left if it's too awkward. I'm sure this will mean no y-harnesses and an AR7000. Matt Andren said he flies it on a 12X. I'd love to know what his flap rate and camber settings are. Gotta give him a break, though. He's been very busy!
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:13 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
179 Posts
Just received my Pro yesterday.
I'm having a very difficult time to properly fit my Optima 7.
I purchased the PNP version since I only have Hitec equipment. (AURORA 9)
I manage to do it in the standard Radian and have flown it the whole summer.
Any suggestions are welcomed.
I think my only option is to move the battery forward and ad ballast on the tail.
leosweers is offline Find More Posts by leosweers
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:24 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Hmmm. Makes me wonder if the AR7000 will fit.
MR2
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:45 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
alright now that the models are showing up

how hard is it to install the new wings on the old radain
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:52 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leosweers View Post
Just received my Pro yesterday.
I'm having a very difficult time to properly fit my Optima 7.
I purchased the PNP version since I only have Hitec equipment. (AURORA 9)
I manage to do it in the standard Radian and have flown it the whole summer.
Any suggestions are welcomed.
I think my only option is to move the battery forward and ad ballast on the tail.
Why are you having trouble? Describe your problem and we may be able to suggest a solution.... the optimal rx are not that large...
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:33 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
179 Posts
The problem with the Optima 7 is that it's a long receiver with the servo connections on the ends, making it even longer to install.
On the Radian it was easier with only 3 connections required.
On the Pro if you want the full house i need all 7, 5 on one side and 2 on the other end.
Would need al lot of foam cutting to get it in which i would like to avoid.
Any realistic suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:52 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,348 Posts
Do you have the A9? With that radio you can assign each channel, which may make plugs reach with less fuss. I would avoid moving the battery at all costs. Have you looked at servo extensions as a way to make it easier to fit or relocate the O7 rx?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:59 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
179 Posts
Relocating Channels would not make a lot of difference as I still need all 7.
Moving the O7 would put it in the front in between the battery and ESC, not advisable from what i know.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:02 PM
Champaign. Illinois
Joined Jun 2003
761 Posts
Hey all,

The DX8 program is up on the Spektrum site and the support tab on the Radian Pro product page on HorizonHobby.com

Here is my 12X setup. My airplane was built from spare parts so my servo arms may be in a slightly different spline position than stock. I also increased my flap throw by moving the pushrod out on the servo arms.

This was just a quick program I set up in about 15 mins for the video and I have flown it a few times since and have not adjusted anything.

First I have my 6 channel receiver:

ESC into throttle
1 aileron into ail
elevator into elev
rudder into rudder
Y harnessed flaps plugged into gear
other aileron into AUX1

In the device select menu I have aux2 and gear inhibited INH and flaps on SYS.

In the flap system menu I have

FLAP ELEV
Normal U34% 0%
MID D32% D 26%
LAND D103% D 58%

Delay: 0.5sec

My mixes are as follows.
MIX 1
AUX2 -> FPRN
POS (0) POS (1)
+24 +0
+25 +0

MID and LAND are both checked to 1

MIX 2
AUX2 -> FLAP
POS (0) POS (1)
+23 +0
+17 +0

MID and LAND are both checked to 1

MIX 3
GEAR -> FLAP
POS (0) POS (1)
+0 +0
+125 +0

MID and LAND both checked to 1

MIX 4
GEAR -> FPRN
POS (0) POS (1)
+0 +0
-99 +0

MID and LAND both checked to 1

MIX 5 (elevator compensation for CROW)
GEAR -> ELEV
POS (0) POS (1)
-44 +0
+0 +0

This is how it works.
My AUX 2 switch that controls camber (down) and reflex (up) and normal flying (middle).
My FLAP switch is a 3 position flap
My Gear switch engages and disengages CROW

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Mattfly is offline Find More Posts by Mattfly
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:43 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,348 Posts
If you use servo extensions, you can put the rx behind all the other stuff, right? Open your mind, the answers will come....
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:07 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Thanks for that, Matt! How many hobbies can you participate in where you have direct access to designers and project managers? Not many. It shows that HH is dedicated to the enthusiast core, and we are by far harder to please than the casual consumer. I'm still waiting on mine, because I think my LHS missed ordering it, but I'm really looking forward to this plane. And the P-47, and probably the next plane you do, also!
MR2
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:18 PM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
Well has anyone had trouble with the flaps ? My flaps only go down about 45%.. other than that im think im putting the throttle on a slider and the flaps on the throttle stick like a sailplane.
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75