HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:05 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,085 Posts
Look in the packing in the box, comes in bag with servo extensions, I thought I was missing them as well.
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:07 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Does the EMP prop need to be modified to fit on the Radian Pro? The Graupner needs to be drilled out. Does the EMP fold flat against the nose?
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:48 PM
Joined Dec 2007
28 Posts
CASL Contest with the Radian Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Browns View Post
Yesterday Central Arizona Soaring League had a monthly contest. This was the first contest that we started allowing Electric motor gliders to enter the contest in the Novice catagory. We had a gentelman(Chuck) enter with a Radian Pro. We allowed him to run the motor for 20 seconds. That was plenty of time. At 20 seconds he was at a normal winch height. Chuck had a great time and I think everyone enjoyed watching the Radian Pro fly. Were hoping we can attract more people to the club by allowing electric gliders to enter the contest's. If we start getting more people to bring electric gliders we will start having a LMR class each month. If any of you guy's live in AZ feel free to come out to our next monthly contest and have some fun. Maybee you can give Chuck a run for his money

P.S. Chuck said his plane came with the right engine, but he did put a replacement prop on the plane. He said the new prop helped a lot. I got to fly it a little. It flew very well. I'm planning on getting one very soon.

Adam
Adam,
Thanks to you and everyone in the club for allowing me to fly in the contest. I had a great time and look forward to flying more contests. I plan on purchasing one of the altitude limiting devices. There are several available in the $50 range. That will be helpful for practice and contest use. I really feel like the Radian/Radian Pro makes a great one-design sailplane that is readily accessible for anyone getting into the sport.

-Chuck
charlesgraves1 is offline Find More Posts by charlesgraves1
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:50 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyP52 View Post
I am using an EMS 11x8 on my Pro and can get near vertical launches. Usually takes 15 seconds to reach semi-speck (old eyeballs) height. No signs of overheating and only time will tell if I am overstressing anything in the motor, but until something breaks, I am enjoying this new Radian as much if not more than my Rad V1 which I absolutely love.

I even have the club members where I fly making comments about how well it flys and how steady it looks landing with the flaps. This is one really great plane if you just get out and fly it.

Bill P
BillyP52, The Graupner props need to be drilled out....what did you have to do if anything, to get your EMP 11x8 prop to fit the Radian Pro?

I'm running Graupner now...

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:17 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2002
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UponorX View Post
So, would a Eflite Power 15 work in this airplane? With stock prop?
Can the shaft be reversed? Also, the shaft is 5mm so would be too large for the stock RP prop. One I was looking at was the Turnigy SK 35-36 910kv 310W motor. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7074

It is a reversed shaft motor and has a 4mm prop shaft. It only coats $16.52 & $5.99 shipping. The only thing I can't figure out is the bolt pattern, although I bet a new set of holes could be made to match up to it.
rahtware is offline Find More Posts by rahtware
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:18 PM
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Jul 2010
138 Posts
EMP Prop Blades

The blades fit on the Radian hub with no problem - pins fit just like the Radian blades. The EMP Blades do not fold completely againt the fuse on my plane, but that did not bother me once I saw the climb performance of this new prop. I just accepted the fact they would stick out a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. I suppose you could file the shoulder of the prop blades if it was hitting the hub.

I have switched to an Aero-naut hub and blades on my pro and have given the EMP blades to another flyer - Sorry I can not be more specific

Bill P
BillyP52 is offline Find More Posts by BillyP52
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:40 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahtware View Post
It is a reversed shaft motor and has a 4mm prop shaft. It only coats $16.52 & $5.99 shipping. The only thing I can't figure out is the bolt pattern, although I bet a new set of holes could be made to match up to it.
i bought a few of these of sotog here on R/C Groups http://www.smallpartscnc.com/ makes a great little mount that works a treat and bolts straight to a Turnigy motor one side and then onto the stock pZ mount so you break a $3 mount not the firewall if you crash, i'm sure it will fit the Radians motor mount too

cheers chuck

PS heres some photos of a PZ T-28 fit out i'm doing
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Dec 20, 2010, 04:10 AM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2002
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
i bought a few of these of sotog here on R/C Groups http://www.smallpartscnc.com/ makes a great little mount that works a treat and bolts straight to a Turnigy motor one side and then onto the stock pZ mount so you break a $3 mount not the firewall if you crash, i'm sure it will fit the Radians motor mount too

cheers chuck

PS heres some photos of a PZ T-28 fit out i'm doing
They look good, but the Radian motor is reversed, and the motor mount / nose piece of the plane is what I was calling the firewall. I am glad to see that there is a mount adapter available, although it might move the engine so far aft. I worry that the stuff forward of the mount/nose of the plane might not fit. It is funny that I am talking about replacing the motor having not even flown my RP yet. I just don't trust plastic motors. My Corsair motor is still hanging in, but it has low hours and it is all stock so hasn't been pushed too hard...
rahtware is offline Find More Posts by rahtware
Old Dec 20, 2010, 04:44 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,392 Posts
my new P-47 is arriving tomorrow, (fingers crossed) so i will be busy with that, but give us a couple of days and i'll try a 35-36 1100kv Turnigy motor in the Radian and see if the mount works

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:27 PM
Bedfordshire UK
Joined Jun 2010
6 Posts
Checking and setting up new radian pro

My wife has bought me a PNP radian pro for Christmas which I am not allowed to touch until Saturday. I plan to use a DX6i tx. I am looking forward to flying the the plane but it is a little depressing reading this thread.

If I summarise this thread correctly I need to carry out the following checks and changes:
- Check ailerons for packaging warping
- Check motor for performance and possibly change prop
- Check rudder and elevator pushrod movement for high friction
- Check that the decals are not restricting the ailerons
- Replace the weak rudder hinges/check for free movement
- Increase flap movement by altering clevises and horn positions

So much for PNP. Is there anything else I need to do?

I would like a simple initial setup on the tx, namely
- Full flaps for landing (no aileron crow) on gear switch
- Camber on flaps (not ailerons) on flap switch
- Reflex on flaps (not ailerons) on ele D/R switch or mix switch

Is this setup possible and how do I set it up on the DX6i?

Many thanks

Mike
mlhayward is offline Find More Posts by mlhayward
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:08 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Apr 2009
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Browns View Post
Yesterday Central Arizona Soaring League had a monthly contest. This was the first contest that we started allowing Electric motor gliders to enter the contest in the Novice catagory. We had a gentelman(Chuck) enter with a Radian Pro. We allowed him to run the motor for 20 seconds. That was plenty of time. At 20 seconds he was at a normal winch height. Chuck had a great time and I think everyone enjoyed watching the Radian Pro fly. Were hoping we can attract more people to the club by allowing electric gliders to enter the contest's. If we start getting more people to bring electric gliders we will start having a LMR class each month. If any of you guy's live in AZ feel free to come out to our next monthly contest and have some fun. Maybee you can give Chuck a run for his money

P.S. Chuck said his plane came with the right engine, but he did put a replacement prop on the plane. He said the new prop helped a lot. I got to fly it a little. It flew very well. I'm planning on getting one very soon.

Adam
Where does your group fly? Do you have a newsletter, website, or other contact info?
jchunter is offline Find More Posts by jchunter
Last edited by jchunter; Dec 20, 2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:18 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Apr 2009
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhayward View Post
I would like a simple initial setup on the tx, namely
- Full flaps for landing (no aileron crow) on gear switch
- Camber on flaps (not ailerons) on flap switch
- Reflex on flaps (not ailerons) on ele D/R switch or mix switch

Is this setup possible and how do I set it up on the DX6i?

Many thanks

Mike
Take a look at this video. AFAIK, this is as much as we can do with the DX6i. To get reflex and camber control you need a DX7 or 8.
jchunter is offline Find More Posts by jchunter
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:23 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Watch out Mike .....basic set-up ....tis possible you might be regarded as a ..........***********
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Last edited by SON OF PALEFACE; Dec 20, 2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:39 PM
Horse-trailer
Joined Oct 2005
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhayward View Post
My wife has bought me a PNP radian pro for Christmas which I am not allowed to touch until Saturday. I plan to use a DX6i tx. I am looking forward to flying the the plane but it is a little depressing reading this thread.
I wouldn't worry too much. If all you want to do is get flying quickly, it will fly perfectly fine out of the box with the 'stock' setup.

Many people on these boards are somewhat obsessive about attention to detail (in a good way) and love to mod anything they come across. It doesn't mean you have to do all the mods to make it fly.

I'd fly it stock, and then make whatever changes you see fit over time.
dangitman is offline Find More Posts by dangitman
Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:00 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Dec 2008
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchunter View Post
Where does your group fly? Do you have a newsletter, website, or other contact info?
You can get directions to the field on CASL's web site CASL.net or just look up Central Arizona Soaring League in Google and our web site will come up.

We currently do not have a newsletter, but we will in the next month or two.

Feel free to contact me with any questions you or anyone might have.

Central Arizona Soaring League is a Phoenix based Glider club. We have Monthly Thermal Duration contest's as well as Monthly DLG contest's. Recently we decided to allow Electric gliders to enter the novice class with the hope it would bring added intrest into the club and soaring. We would like to get enough interest so we can add a Limited Motor Run class to our monthly contest's. We have a lot of fun at the contest's. If you have never been to a glider contest please come out and see what it's all about. Febuary 17-20 we are hosting the largest Sailplane contest in the U.S. at Schneps Farm in Queen Creek. We will have a lot of great raffle prizes and plenty of good food. We should have a few hobby shops with booth's. We are desperately in need of volunteer's. This would be a great way to get involved and learn a little about competetion soaring.

Adam Young
928-595-1554
Big Browns is offline Find More Posts by Big Browns