HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:22 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46 View Post
So we had our first ALES (Altitude Limited Electric Soaring) event yesterday, it was a dry run to get a feel for the limiter switch technology. We put a switch in between the receiver and the ESC that cuts throttle at a time 30 seconds or 200M.

Most of guys in my club are contest thermal duration types, some more serious then others. Of the active pilots more have Radians then do not.

We had 7 planes, 2 non Radians, 3 Radians and 2 Pro's. Both Pro's were afflicted with the "wrong motor syndrome". As they were just out of the box, no tweaking or different motors or props.

snip ...

So it's all ready to go, if the winds lay down I'll go have a toss. Total setup time, to include fiddling with the motor replacement was less then an hour. But then again, I have an SD10G, that radio makes everything look easy!

Dan in Dallas...

Dan,

Great report.

How long did it take the stock R/E Radian's to reach the 200M mark. I assume it was well within the 30 second climb time, but please confirm that. We are thinking of doing this at our club.

Were the stock Radian Pros able to hit 200 meters in 30 seconds?

Looking forward to hearing your report on the climb of your Radian Pro with the power system taken from the original Radian. This is the power system that was supposed to be in the Pro.

BTW, have you checked your SD10G against the recall serial numbers? If not, send me a PM and I will send you the info.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Dec 19, 2010 at 01:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:24 PM
Space Cowboy
United States, CA, Vandenberg Air Force Base
Joined Jan 2007
1,123 Posts
Ok so for the people who are building these from parts, is there a list of parts and are you actually saving money?
ShoGinn is offline Find More Posts by ShoGinn
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:29 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,008 Posts
Typically if you buy the parts to build the plane you will end up spending more. That is usually the case.

If you are going with a less expensive motor/ESC/Battery,prop and spinner I would expect you may come out about even.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:37 PM
a.k.a. GlideZilla
Australia, VIC, Macleod
Joined Sep 2003
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Thanks for the links. I don't suppose you know of a retailer in Australia carrying these?

Rob
Google is your friend...

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=GW...K&ved=0CAcQpwU

Dean.roberts is offline Find More Posts by Dean.roberts
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:38 PM
Addicted to flight since 1944
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
Quote:
So we had our first ALES (Altitude Limited Electric Soaring) event yesterday, it was a dry run to get a feel for the limiter switch technology. We put a switch in between the receiver and the ESC that cuts throttle at a time 30 seconds or 200M...............

Dan in Dallas...
Great report Dan. Wish I had some ALES guys to fly with around here. Sounds like you guys had fun. I am going to end up with a Pro. I can see that coming.
rbrown3rd is offline Find More Posts by rbrown3rd
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:18 PM
'Sky' King
Watauga, Texas
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
....When I flew yesterday I was not satisfied with the flaps, out of the box they only come down 45 degrees or so, a non starter. This was a simple fix, with flaps up:
- remove the clevis from the flap horn
- remove the pushrod from the servo horn
- reconnect the pushrod to the last hold on the servo
- shorten the clevis by twisting the threaded connector so that it looks about right to connect to the farthest hole from the flap on the horn and the flap is aligned with the trailing edge
- reconnect the clevis to the farthest hole from the flap
- if your radio permits adjust the center point, or remove and do the last steps again to fine tune mechanically base on thread count.

One issue you may be able to see in the picture below is that the left flap bends at the horn as it's pulled down past 60 degees. I didn't fiddle with it but the tape hinge looks a bit kluged, there is some resistance I can correct, other flap is fine. If needed I could add a piece of carbon to stiffen it, we'll see.

Dan in Dallas...
Thanks for the great report Dan!

I have not tackled the flaps yet. Your pictures and description make it a real no-brainer! I will give it a try after the Cowboys finish up with Washington

Tom, north of Cowtown...
tking2097 is offline Find More Posts by tking2097
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:29 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Dan,

Great report.

How long did it take the stock R/E Radian's to reach the 200M mark. I assume it was well within the 30 second climb time, but please confirm that. We are thinking of doing this at our club.

Were the stock Radian Pros able to hit 200 meters in 30 seconds?

Looking forward to hearing your report on the climb of your Radian Pro with the power system taken from the original Radian. This is the power system that was supposed to be in the Pro.

BTW, have you checked your SD10G against the recall serial numbers? If not, send me a PM and I will send you the info.
My SG-10 just came back from the rework, thanks for the offer.

We were unable to tell if it was the 30 second limit or the 200M mark that cut the motor, we're going to do some testing in the coming weeks over the holiday break.

I'll have my pro out this week as I'm off work and I intend to fiddle with a few prop/battery combos as well.
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:01 PM
Just do it.
Stroudsburg, PA
Joined Nov 2009
670 Posts
Krazykayak, the wooden wing support mod works beautifully.

I had to add 15/16 oz (fraction) to the nose of my radian for some reason. All that I did was use CA hinges on the tail and glue some foam back together. Strange.
FlyFisch is offline Find More Posts by FlyFisch
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:24 PM
Joined Nov 2010
79 Posts
I am still trying to program Spektrum Dx8 for my BNF Radian Pro which came with a Spektrum 2.4GHz DSM2 AR600 receiver. I have downloaded the RadianPro.spm file from HH to my Dx8 transmitter but I can not figure out exactly how to plug in my servos to the AR600 receiver. Should I use the included y cable to connect the aileron leads to the aileron plug on my receiver? Do I use a y cable for the flaps? Do I plug the flaps in to aux1 or gear plug in the receiver to make this file work as intended?
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Is the RadianPro.spm only compatible with the AR8000 receiver that came with the Dx8? Perhaps I should switch to the receiver that came with the Dx8?
gbaum is offline Find More Posts by gbaum
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:26 PM
Bloomington, IL (Hell's Cornfield)
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
Radian Pro wing screws

What type/size screws are used to hold the wings on? Apparently, they forgot to pack them with mine.
theKAT is offline Find More Posts by theKAT
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:18 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Boiko

Does the EMP prop need to be modified to fit on the Radian Pro?

e-gull
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:28 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Typically if you buy the parts to build the plane you will end up spending more. That is usually the case.

If you are going with a less expensive motor/ESC/Battery,prop and spinner I would expect you may come out about even.
Not true! I built a Parkzone Corsair from parts, and it turned out to be a lot cheaper. Same is true for most Parkzone planes, as I've seen the same done with the Stryker, P-51 Gunfighter, and the ME-109. -Though I cannot vouch for the Radian Pro, I'd imagine its true as well.

You just have to know what you're doing with knowing exactly what you need from the spare parts lists and having the proper equipment setup! -Which is what he was asking for, basically...

By the way, I've found the Hobbyzone website to be great for parts lists. They've got a pretty decent one for the Radian Pro here.
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:47 PM
Just do it.
Stroudsburg, PA
Joined Nov 2009
670 Posts
So, would a Eflite Power 15 work in this airplane? With stock prop?
FlyFisch is offline Find More Posts by FlyFisch
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:55 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Dec 2008
271 Posts
Yesterday Central Arizona Soaring League had a monthly contest. This was the first contest that we started allowing Electric motor gliders to enter the contest in the Novice catagory. We had a gentelman(Chuck) enter with a Radian Pro. We allowed him to run the motor for 20 seconds. That was plenty of time. At 20 seconds he was at a normal winch height. Chuck had a great time and I think everyone enjoyed watching the Radian Pro fly. Were hoping we can attract more people to the club by allowing electric gliders to enter the contest's. If we start getting more people to bring electric gliders we will start having a LMR class each month. If any of you guy's live in AZ feel free to come out to our next monthly contest and have some fun. Maybee you can give Chuck a run for his money

P.S. Chuck said his plane came with the right engine, but he did put a replacement prop on the plane. He said the new prop helped a lot. I got to fly it a little. It flew very well. I'm planning on getting one very soon.

Adam
Big Browns is offline Find More Posts by Big Browns
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:04 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKAT View Post
What type/size screws are used to hold the wings on? Apparently, they forgot to pack them with mine.
Gee that sucks.If i were you email them im sure they'll send ya a few sets lol/
But if you just wanted to pick some up from the LHS(local Hardware Store)lol
Heres a few Pics that might might help yea out .if your going too buy a few.

Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member