SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:09 PM
Port Elizabeth. South Africa
Joined Aug 2010
187 Posts
I know this is a difficult question with a lot of variables but here goes: with weight added like say 2.2 battery snd steel rod for the wing spar, what would the approximate maximum wind speed be to fly in?
WaynejG is online now Find More Posts by WaynejG
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:05 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by got lift? View Post
That being said, the tails on the Radians are sometimes so wonky and flimsy that you can take your pinky, lightly place it on the vertical and move it back and forth at least an inch with very little effort. So for one thing it's just plain annoying that the fin is that wonky but it also allows a large amount of aeroelasticity in flight and from everything I've read isn't good, especially for a sailplane.
I agree 100% with this statement. The amount of flex in the tail of this fuselage leaves you with a pathetic amount of control with the rudder and elevator. This thread is full of warnings where people are saying don't get into a dive because you will never be able to pull out. That is true if the tail end of the plane flexes so much your elevator is almost useless. To be able to effectively ride a thermal, your elevator and rudder must work better than that.

The picture shows my solution for the fuselage. The front vertical piece of rod was cut a little shorter than what is shown in the picture, and then the whole thing was inserted into the underside of the fuselage. The fix for the elevator itself is in post 7896. There have been many ways suggested for stiffening up the side-side and up-down flex of the narrow part of the fuselage, but this method also reduces the twisting. If I were to do it again (knowing what I know now) I would make it even longer and stiffer. When I did that mod, I was paranoid of adding too much weight to the tail, deluded into thinking that the CG should be at 70mm as per the manual. Now that I see so many people adding weight to the tail, I figure it makes sense to use that weight to make the elevator and rudder more effective.

I can pull out of dives not problem now, and the improvement is also noticeable as crisp control of the elevator and rudder when bringing the plane to a controlled landing in gusty winds.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:14 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
I would be more than happy to answer that one...
First off I only fly my sailplanes as sailplanes, not aerobats, not hotliners, not 3D ( I have 3D planes for that)
I don't even like running bigger battery packs like tons of people do because my goal is to get a little altitude and then thermal the plane, period. That's by far what I enjoy the most about sailplanes, it's the TD that I'm totally hooked on.
That being said, the tails on the Radians are sometimes so wonky and flimsy that you can take your pinky, lightly place it on the vertical and move it back and forth at least an inch with very little effort. So for one thing it's just plain annoying that the fin is that wonky but it also allows a large amount of aeroelasticity in flight and from everything I've read isn't good, especially for a sailplane. The stiffer the better, that's why all the top dollar stuff is carbon and kevlar. If wonky was best we could just glue together some pool noodles and go fly. Hey if somebody puts out a kit with a pool noodle fuse you heard it here first!!
I think a lot of people see the tail wiggling around in the prop wash when they launch the plane and think "that can't be good".

When the power shuts off and you are gliding, the slightest whisper of turbulence will change the attitude of the plane. That tells me that any sort of side force on the rudder will tend to yaw the plane rather than twist the fuselage appreciably. It's not like holding the plane in your hand and wiggling the rudder to twist the fuse. The hand holding the plane is offering an opposing force, causing the twist. In flight here is little or no force opposing the pressure against the rudder, so there will be little twist. You may get some twisting and buffeting during high speed dives and such, but again, that's just not going to happen in normal, placid thermal soaring.

So I guess I'm agreeing with Sonny about all the rear fuse reinforcements. I don't think they are necessary.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Mar 22, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:55 PM
LIVE TO FLY, FLY TO LIVE!
Joined May 2009
111 Posts
I guess the sure fire way to find out would be mount a rearward facing video camera and get it into some good strong thermals. Hey anybody around here got a good camera and a stock Radian? te he...
got lift? is offline Find More Posts by got lift?
Last edited by got lift?; Mar 22, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:32 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Wonky tail or not this is a fantastic Glider.

This was my best thermal ride yet, total motor run time was 30 seconds and the flight was over twenty five minutes here was a taste. Before the flames start I am new to the glider or sail plane art. My RP is stock and after talking with Jumpy sticks I agree 100 % with his advice and recomendations. I had a blast today in 10 gusting to 15 mph winds.
22 Mar 12 RP thermal play (10 min 18 sec)
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:54 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2002
731 Posts
Quote:
I guess the sure fire way to find out would be mount a rearward facing video camera and get it into some good strong thermals. Hey anybody around here got a good camera and a stock Radian? te he...
Found this on YT:
Radian Pro Drops 520ft In Downdraft-Brownout? (4 min 43 sec)

Starts getting real good around 3:06...
rahtware is offline Find More Posts by rahtware
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:31 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined May 2009
504 Posts
Had my 2nd-5th flight today on my Radian on the Bluffs here in Long Beach and I must say I think it flies just fine bone stock. The only thing I have different in it is 1800mah packs and a Spektrum 6200. I'm new to sailplanes but I had some "veteran" slope flyers say it's a solid plane and a good looking one at that!
My last flight lasted about 35 min. and I didn't use throttle once. Could of flown longer but the ol lady was blowing up the phone! This glider is just fine the way it is with exception of one thing, connecting the servo leads in the wing! That's a BIG PITA!!! Other than that,I LOVE IT!
Rc247 is offline Find More Posts by Rc247
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:40 AM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2002
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc247 View Post
Had my 2nd-5th flight today on my Radian on the Bluffs here in Long Beach and I must say I think it flies just fine bone stock. The only thing I have different in it is 1800mah packs and a Spektrum 6200. I'm new to sailplanes but I had some "veteran" slope flyers say it's a solid plane and a good looking one at that!
My last flight lasted about 35 min. and I didn't use throttle once. Could of flown longer but the ol lady was blowing up the phone! This glider is just fine the way it is with exception of one thing, connecting the servo leads in the wing! That's a BIG PITA!!! Other than that,I LOVE IT!
Sorry, but with all the problems others have had with this plane I think the correct statement would be that YOUR RP is fine. If nothing else, I would keep an eye on the rudder and ele hinge tape as a few guys have had their RPs come out of the air due to the "decal tape" hinges ripping, or pulling off after just a few flights. I would also trim, or protect the bottom of the rudder and protect the aileron horns (these snag on grass and other things).

As far as judging the qualities of a glider based on it staying aloft at LB, I checked out the bluffs when I lived down there in the 80s and figured that on a good day you could fly a brick there. Glad you are happy with your RP, but there is a reason for all the "RP problems, fix" posts, threads, videos etc,
rahtware is offline Find More Posts by rahtware
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:24 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined May 2009
504 Posts
My bad! "My RP flies GREAT"! Sorry everyone else is having problems with theirs. I purchased it user for $160 BNF and im sure it already has over 40-50 flights on it with no issues.
What was I thinking coming on here and praising the AC!
Rc247 is offline Find More Posts by Rc247
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined May 2009
111 Posts
I think the Radian is still the best foam glider

I think sometimes complaints come across a little more harsh in the digital world.
It's a funny thing with email and digital communication, it seems like you have to make an effort to lighten things up or it comes across as harsh or super blunt. If we were all just standing around having the same conversation I really think it would be way more jovial. We would disagree but it wouldn't be a firefight, that would be ridiculous. The Radian is a brilliant platform and is THE reason I discovered soaring. And soaring is turning out to be the most rewarding hobby I've ever had. So even if the day comes where I am skilled enough and willing enough to drop $2k on a Supra it will still always be the Radian that got me started.
I had a Goldberg Electra 20 years ago, still love that plane, but that airplane never flew. Partially because I was really young and it was over my head and also I couldn't get any help with it. Fast forward 20 years and along comes the Radian which has allowed me and thousands of others a chance to FINALLY get to go soaring.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:27 AM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc247 View Post
My bad! "My RP flies GREAT"! Sorry everyone else is having problems with theirs. I purchased it user for $160 BNF and im sure it already has over 40-50 flights on it with no issues.
What was I thinking coming on here and praising the AC!
Not so fast, "everyone" isn't necessarily having problems with their RP's, the overwhelming majority of RP owners have found their planes very reliable and fun airplanes, well worth it's small cost. Yes there have been a few incidents, but some, (not all), have been due to lack of a good pre-flight check, (always check your hinges before a flight for example), and there have been a few stock spinner/prop failures, (easily avoided by replacing the stock unit with a 50mm aluminum spinner and quality blades).
You mentioned that attaching all the servo wires from the wing is a PIA, (true), check out my solution to that issue, works great so far: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8038. You have found that on a good day at the slope the RP can fly for hours sans motor, but it also can excel at thermal flying, (with practice; as is true of any thermal duration plane). In general the Radian Pro offers a lot of bang for the buck, and is a good training platform for those interested in full-house soaring, (elevator/rudder/ailerons/flaps/rudder). Personally I agree with you, the Radian Pro is a good flying arf, with no more problems associated with it than most other arf's, they all have their faults, (as do many expensive composite arf's).
It's nice to hear there's a good slope I could fly in SoCal, now I know I have a place to fly if I ever brave the freeways of Lost Angeles one of these days, (not likely, I'm an advocate for a border fence at Ventura to keep the riff raff down there). Good air, welcome to the Radian Pro thread!

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:23 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,983 Posts
Quote:
I think sometimes complaints come across a little more harsh in the digital world.
It's a funny thing with email and digital communication, it seems like you have to make an effort to lighten things up or it comes across as harsh or super blunt. If we were all just standing around having the same conversation I really think it would be way more jovial.
This is true, and I am guilty of using some of those harsh words (such as "pathetic") It is natural for a forum like this to sound a little negative because every weakness anybody ever found, real or imagined, is brought up here. To counter that, there are plenty of posts that sound something like "Had a great day flying the Radian Pro today..."

The best part is that everybody is getting what they want. If they just want to fly, they just fly. If they want to make it a little less floppy or make the wings easier to attach, they do it. If they find something they think works better than stock, they post it. Even though I used that word to describe the stiffness of the tail, I do love this plane, treat it gently, and fly it a lot.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:49 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahtware View Post
Sorry, but with all the problems others have had with this plane I think the correct statement would be that YOUR RP is fine. If nothing else, I would keep an eye on the rudder and ele hinge tape as a few guys have had their RPs come out of the air due to the "decal tape" hinges ripping, or pulling off after just a few flights. I would also trim, or protect the bottom of the rudder and protect the aileron horns (these snag on grass and other things).

As far as judging the qualities of a glider based on it staying aloft at LB, I checked out the bluffs when I lived down there in the 80s and figured that on a good day you could fly a brick there. Glad you are happy with your RP, but there is a reason for all the "RP problems, fix" posts, threads, videos etc,
Yeah, but what do you expert for this money? If you want a flawless glider then go and spend 2k on one.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:57 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
The best part is that everybody is getting what they want. If they just want to fly, they just fly. If they want to make it a little less floppy or make the wings easier to attach, they do it. If they find something they think works better than stock, they post it. Even though I used that word to describe the stiffness of the tail, I do love this plane, treat it gently, and fly it a lot.
There's far too much panicking going on regarding the tail stiffness. Yes the tail will wag in the prop wash when you hold it in your hand, but it will wag less on the climb out. In the glide (this is a glider don't forget) the wag is not there.

Anyone adding weight to stiffen the tail is compromising the gliding capabilities for no good reason.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined May 2009
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
You mentioned that attaching all the servo wires from the wing is a PIA, (true), check out my solution to that issue, works great so far: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8038.
I used a deans 4 pin and it actually tucks right into the servo wire channel. In the picture I left the top of the plug sticking out so you can see just how little foam you have to remove to get it to sit flush with the bottom of the wing
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8402
But I like this mod even better... just plug and soar!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8535