HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:48 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I bought the simulator so I got practice without crashing the real RC plane as much also to be able to fly when conditions were bad outside like too windy, cold, rainy, late at night, or snowy.

I first learned to fly gliders in the 1980's when simulators were not so available. I didn't even have a computer. I didn't crash often with my balsa wood six foot span rudder and elevator controlled glider. I did have a lot of fun.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Last edited by e-gull; Dec 18, 2010 at 06:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:30 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I have yet to see anyone post the specs on the motor that is being included with the Radian Pro, so we have absolutely no idea of its ability to handle these higher amps or watts. It may be fine, or it may be on the edge of failure.
Everything you said is 100% accurate, and it was a very good post. -But I'd just like to point out that the people doing this testing are only talking of pushing 20-something amps out of a class-480 motor... -That's not exactly stretching the boundaries of what a 480 motor should be capable of!

Many 480 motors go well into the 30's, and I personally regularly push 42 amps through my Power Up 480 Plus motor that's on my Parkzone Corsair without cooking it. -In fact, it's never come down with a temperature greater than 110 degrees F.
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:20 PM
The Flying Astronomer
Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
66 Posts
I'm not suggesting you shouldn't get a simulator and go down that path, just
that it isn't really practical for me. You just have to try and learn fast and avoid
crashing. However I think the Pro will be staying in it's box in the cupboard for
a while yet, maybe even get another plane first.

If the weather isn't up for flying then I have other interests to pursue like
photography, dirtbike riding, fishing, surfing and rugby union and beer drinking

Cheers,CS
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull View Post
I bought the simulator so I got practice without crashing the real RC plane as much also to be able to fly when conditions were bad outside like too windy, cold, rainy, late at night, or snowy.

I first learned to fly gliders in the 1980's when simulators were not so available. I didn't even have a computer. I didn't crash often with my balsa wood six foot span rudder and elevator controlled glider. I did have a lot of fun.
xrekcor is offline Find More Posts by xrekcor
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:05 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
I just wanted to let all of you know who plan on piecing this plane together through horizon's site... I Bought what I thought would be necessary but got a bunch of extra stuff. There is no description of what the Pro wings and fuseloge comes with... Of course you don't need front bulk head, pushrods for the ailerons or flaps. I wish Horrizon would put that on their site. I could have saved 20 bucks. Secondly the pro wings DON"T come with a carbon rod, but the regular Radian wings do...??? WHY???
yellowcolorado is offline Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:51 PM
Joined Jul 2002
242 Posts
What is the wing tube made from in your Radian Pro's?
I don't know for sure if mine is CF but it's either CF or FG and it's very stiff and seems to have little to no flex.
rtn9105 is offline Find More Posts by rtn9105
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:34 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Apr 2009
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
...I tried to acquire a tx to USB cable to practice with a simulator but canít get one unless
I buy a software package that includes one. And for that price I can buy a heap of
replacement parts for the Radian (fuse x 6 or wings x 5...etc...) for the same price.
GWFSM002B for JR and Spektrum transmitters (mono audio plug) $8 - $16:
http://store.rcsupersales.net/servle...OR-CORD/Detail
http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...RS-WIRING.html
http://shop.avicraft.co.uk/gws-usb-s...2b-p-5233.html
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...615S161648971P
jchunter is offline Find More Posts by jchunter
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:06 AM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
Secondly the pro wings DON"T come with a carbon rod, but the regular Radian wings do...??? WHY???
Non of the radian wing rods, regular or pro that I've seen are carbon, they are black, with maybe some carbon woven in. Just go to the LHS and find a hollow carbon rod that will fit. Take the stock rod to Home Depot and find a steel rod to put into the center of the stock wing rod and you'll have a nice ballast setup
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:41 AM
Joined Dec 2009
6 Posts
I did a few tests on different props before flying my pro because I've read a lot of people are not too happy with the performance. I want to use the plane for competition and need to get to 200mtrs. in 30sec. I'm using a Kokam 1500 30c Lipo.

Original prop 140 Watts 12.5 Amps

12x5 Aero naut cam prop 175 Watts 16.5 Amps

12x6 Graupner cam prop 195 Watts 18.5 Amps

12x8 Aero naut cam prop 220 Watts 22 Amps

The only flight I've had so far is with the 12x8 and I got to 150mtrs in 30sec. so I've got a bit more testing to do.
Will the motor continue to take this use (misuse)?, don't know, time will tell.
So far I'm happy with the quality of the model and gear supplied. This is the PNP version. I'm using Multiplex Pro 9 Tx on 2.4 and a 7 channel Rx. The space for the Spektrum Rx. was a bit small but the foam can be cut away to take a larger Rx.
rayg is offline Find More Posts by rayg
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:49 AM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,173 Posts
Any issues getting the Aero naut to fit the spinner/yoke?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:56 AM
Joined Dec 2009
6 Posts
All my spare blades use an 8mm yoke so I needed to use a new blade holder and prop adapter.
rayg is offline Find More Posts by rayg
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:18 AM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull View Post

I have used simulators since I started flying a couple of years ago. I still use it today to advance my flying skills or learn a new maneuver before attempting it on the field. I also enjoy the newer "multiplayer" features of both RF and Phoenix, especially combat flying as it is a challenge but I have learned allot from this as well. Of course, it is a substitute for weather related conditions and Minnesota has it's share.

Each has their own preferred method for training, but I do recommend a sim of some sort for at least learning orientation. That can be accomplished with freebees to realistic, higher priced versions. The sims won't cure me of crashes, but it certainly has reduced them progessively over the past couple of years

Steve
SailingAlong is offline Find More Posts by SailingAlong
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:26 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayg View Post
I did a few tests on different props before flying my pro because I've read a lot of people are not too happy with the performance. I want to use the plane for competition and need to get to 200mtrs. in 30sec. I'm using a Kokam 1500 30c Lipo.

Original prop 140 Watts 12.5 Amps

12x5 Aero naut cam prop 175 Watts 16.5 Amps

12x6 Graupner cam prop 195 Watts 18.5 Amps

12x8 Aero naut cam prop 220 Watts 22 Amps

The only flight I've had so far is with the 12x8 and I got to 150mtrs in 30sec. so I've got a bit more testing to do.
Will the motor continue to take this use (misuse)?, don't know, time will tell.
So far I'm happy with the quality of the model and gear supplied. This is the PNP version. I'm using Multiplex Pro 9 Tx on 2.4 and a 7 channel Rx. The space for the Spektrum Rx. was a bit small but the foam can be cut away to take a larger Rx.
My advice..a better bet would be to test a Graupner 10x8 and then 11x8 keeping everything else stock, including spinner and let us know the results. You might have plenty of thrust swinging that big 12x8...but you need more climb out speed/rpm. Just need to find the sweet spot. It's pretty easy to get the Graupner blades to fit the stock spinner, with (3) radians I've done it more times then I want to admit.

Good luck has been had using the EMP 11x8 as well...
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...45&item_id=432

Radian Pro with EMP 11x8 goes Vertical - EMS was a typo..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=794

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Last edited by boiko; Dec 19, 2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:04 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2002
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
UNDERSTANDING ALL THIS ELECTRICAL TALK

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC FLIGHT
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm
Great stuff. Thanks!
rahtware is offline Find More Posts by rahtware
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:01 PM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,173 Posts
Glider snob impression post contest

So we had our first ALES (Altitude Limited Electric Soaring) event yesterday, it was a dry run to get a feel for the limiter switch technology. We put a switch in between the receiver and the ESC that cuts throttle at a time 30 seconds or 200M.

Most of guys in my club are contest thermal duration types, some more serious then others. Of the active pilots more have Radians then do not.

We had 7 planes, 2 non Radians, 3 Radians and 2 Pro's. Both Pro's were afflicted with the "wrong motor syndrome". As they were just out of the box, no tweaking or different motors or props.

In the end a Graupner propped Radian won the event, but it was close. He had a launch advantage, but also flew better.

I flew a few rounds with a borrowed pro and was generally pleased. With mixed flap and aileron movement and camber, I was able to fly very comfortably, core lift and spec out on a few flights. We didn't have reflex setup yet, but camber did in fact make a difference. For our ALES this season it will be perfect, low cost, just get out and fly. That said I'm flying with a full on sailplane radio.

I picked mine up yesterday, a PNP version, I opened the box this AM and set it up. First I pulled the motor off my Radian and swapped it out. No watt meters required, it's been documented, I just confirmed the motors were different and made the swap so I can return it to HH. Look at the pictures and it's obvious.

I replaced the stock wing rod with my nice stiff real carbon rod. other then that it's all stock. I have the throttle on a spring loaded on/off switch on the left side of my transmitter, it's the same one I use for launch mode on my sailplanes. Camber is on a 3 position switch, and flaps are on the "throttle stick"

When I flew yesterday I was not satisfied with the flaps, out of the box they only come down 45 degrees or so, a non starter. This was a simple fix, with flaps up:
- remove the clevis from the flap horn
- remove the pushrod from the servo horn
- reconnect the pushrod to the last hold on the servo
- shorten the clevis by twisting the threaded connector so that it looks about right to connect to the farthest hole from the flap on the horn and the flap is aligned with the trailing edge
- reconnect the clevis to the farthest hole from the flap
- if your radio permits adjust the center point, or remove and do the last steps again to fine tune mechanically base on thread count.

One issue you may be able to see in the picture below is that the left flap bends at the horn as it's pulled down past 60 degees. I didn't fiddle with it but the tape hinge looks a bit kluged, there is some resistance I can correct, other flap is fine. If needed I could add a piece of carbon to stiffen it, we'll see.

So it's all ready to go, if the winds lay down I'll go have a toss. Total setup time, to include fiddling with the motor replacement was less then an hour. But then again, I have an SD10G, that radio makes everything look easy!

Dan in Dallas...
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:13 PM
The Flying Astronomer
Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
66 Posts
Thanks for the links. I don't suppose you know of a retailer in Australia carrying these?

Rob

xrekcor is offline Find More Posts by xrekcor