My 'new' one has the metal can with 4 holes
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:41 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,021 Posts
Here's what I've been able to find out so far----The supplied metal endbell Radian Pro motor may have a lower kV than the stock Radian motor, but it is capable of putting out plenty of power if propped correctly. Even though both props are maked exactly the same, the prop supplied with the Radian Pro has a flater pitch than the replacement stock Radian prop.

Here's my 2 cents worth of advice to new Radian Pro pilots. Fly your new Radian Pro first and then decide if you want to change anything. If you are not happy with the climb performace, buy a $5 set of standard Radian replacement blades and fly it again. If you are still not happy, buy a commercial set of 10x8 or 11x8 Graupner CAM prop blades and fly it again. Only as a last resort would I call for a replacement motor.

Ian, sorry to hear about your DX8 misadventure. Glad they made it right and replaced your radio and plane. I'm thinking about getting a DX8 because of the SD card slot and the pictorials in the programs. I know you are trying to download a preset program, but have you tried to program the TX yourself? I'd like to know what you think about the ease of programming.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Dec 17, 2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:08 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
the horizon web site has them listed as the same KV....
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:16 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE View Post
the horizon web site has them listed as the same KV....
yea im sure there scratching theres heads as well.and Prob Cursing up stoarms lol.Crap mabie ever throwing stuff around.
Listed as the same and reciving Different. SOmeone got a tell in off id say...Its been raing up here for like 2 weks and forcasted for another week,Usilly this time of year were dumped in Snow and Mid canada is warmer,its tottally oposite this year Ont had a State of emergace already with snow./So it may be a week or so before i can get a flgiht in.Untill then ill jsut size the plane up lol
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:23 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Ian, sorry to hear about your DX8 misadventure. Glad they made it right and replaced your radio and plane. I'm thinking about getting a DX8 because of the SD card slot and the pictorials in the programs. I know you are trying to download a preset program, but have you tried to program the TX yourself? I'd like to know what you think about the ease of programming.

McD[/QUOTE]

What...........................ME program a radio............you gotta B joking
Im lucky to find the basic stuff

Sux munths ago I coddunt evin spill "INJUNEER" , BUT NOW i ARE ONE...
Old Dec 18, 2010, 03:04 AM
Registered Abuser
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
608 Posts
Just managed to sneak in a quick flight after changing to Graupner Cam 10x8 fitted to the stock spinner.

What a difference! Climb-out is now very good and only takes 20- 30 seconds. This is compared to the 2 min it was taking originaly.

Heres my motor readings.
Stock low Kv motor stock low pitch prop:

11.90Volts
11.22Amps
133Watts
8850Rpm

Stock low Kv motor with Graupner Cam 10x8

10.91V
21.11Amps
230Watts
6810Rpm

Problem solved.
Kentucky is offline Find More Posts by Kentucky
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:37 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,183 Posts
UNDERSTANDING ALL THIS ELECTRICAL TALK

Some of you may be new to electric flight and be confused by all this talk of amps and watts and props and such. If you would like to understand all this stuff, I can recommend a resource, and on-line e-book on the subject.

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC FLIGHT
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm

While the whole e-book is worth a read, take a look at
chapter 4.............Props vs. Amps. You will gain some insight about what is being discussed.

Note that as you increase prop width or pitch depth you will increase the amperage that the motor draws and the power output, right up to the point where it fails. Likewise you will increase the draw on your battery pack, right up to the point were it fails.

I am not saying that these prop changes that are being suggested will damage the motor or the battery, but they might. Better to understand what is being done and what is being discussed.

There has been talk of low kV and high kV motors. What does that mean? See chapter 54.

I have yet to see anyone post the specs on the motor that is being included with the Radian Pro, so we have absolutely no idea of its ability to handle these higher amps or watts. It may be fine, or it may be on the edge of failure.

If you tend to fly the Radian Pro as an e-glider where the motor is run for 30 seconds or so, then turned off for long periods, even an overloaded motor may be OK, up to a point, as the heat build up may be tolerated. This is especially true in colder weather we have now. But come the summer when you are flying in 70-100 degree F weather, that same overloaded motor may smoke because it can't get rid of all that extra heat.

What happens is either the insulation on the wires fails due to heat build up and a short occurs ( see the magic smoke come out ) or the bearings expand and cause drag. This damages the bearings and may also cause the windings to overheat. ( see the magic smoke come out ) BTW, this is the same thing that can cause the wiring in your house to fail and burn your house down. If you run too much from one circuit and the circuit breaker does not trip fast enough, you have a house fire.

I have no idea if either of these conditions will occur with the Pro's motor, and if you run it 30 seconds or less, you may never have a problem. But if you like to hang it on the prop, or take long high throttle runs, you may be looking for a replacement motor sooner than you had planned.

Same for your battery pack. If your pack is the stock 1300 mah 15C pack, this pack is rated for 19 amps, running at its limit and few people will recommend you run your battery packs at their limit all the time. I typically would not run the pack over 18 amps even for short runs, but I tend to be a bit gentler on my battery packs. Hopefully people who are posting 20+ amp motor/prop combos are running larger or higher C rated packs that can take this kind of load.

My goal is not to alarm but to educate. Know what you are doing so that you can be smart about it and not be surprised when your components fail.

Of course, your smileage will vary.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:06 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE View Post
What...........................ME program a radio............you gotta B joking
Im lucky to find the basic stuff

Sux munths ago I coddunt evin spill "INJUNEER" , BUT NOW i ARE ONE...
Now that's FUNNY!!!! I'm still wiping tears out of my eyes!

Of cors U no I R 1 2.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:49 AM
I ain't afraid of no highs
Spain
Joined Jun 2008
459 Posts
great link aejr I'll have to read that "book".

I'm not an owner but I like reading this thread, so far I've read only a few "flight reports" and (motor and amps apart) looks like people are happy about how it flies. What I still can't find is new videos of the pro flying, anyone can upload some? maybe you chuckseeker? the un-boxing and maiden was great. thanks.
pilottube is online now Find More Posts by pilottube
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:05 AM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,437 Posts
aeajr ---

That will make for some very interesting, late night reading. Many thanks for your work.
ecase is online now Find More Posts by ecase
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:38 AM
'Sky' King
Watauga, Texas
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
UNDERSTANDING ALL THIS ELECTRICAL TALK

I have yet to see anyone post the specs on the motor that is being included with the Radian Pro, so we have absolutely no idea of its ability to handle these higher amps or watts. It may be fine, or it may be on the edge of failure...

My goal is not to alarm but to educate. Know what you are doing so that you can be smart about it and not be surprised when your components fail.
Spot on aeajr! I looked at the manual and the HH website when I first received my Radian Pro searching for ratings on the motor, and there is simply nothing to be found in the way of specs other than motor class, "480".

Dave / Horizon Hobby, could we get some help here with some motor specs posted to the website?!? Even basic ratings, such as recommended prop sizes, battery cells, kv rating, continuous and max current would be very helpful.

Basic motor ratings information is extremely helpful to customers! I believe good product information also protects the interests of HH as well for sales and service, since customers are more likely to make good decisions when making purchases or when replacing parts.

- Tom
tking2097 is offline Find More Posts by tking2097
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:47 AM
Joined Nov 2010
79 Posts
Dx8 and AR600 reciever setup

I just bought a new Spektrum Dx8 for my Radian Pro which came with a stock AR600 receiver, and I downloaded the RadianPro.spm file from HH to my Dx8 transmitter.

I am not sure how exactly to connect the servos. I assume that I should use the included y cable to connect the aileron leads to the aileron plug on my receiver? Do I use a y cable for the flaps? Do I plug the flaps in to aux1 or gear plug in the receiver to make this file work as intended

Sorry if this was answered before
gbaum is offline Find More Posts by gbaum
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:54 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecase View Post
aeajr ---

That will make for some very interesting, late night reading. Many thanks for your work.
I hope you and others who posted will find th e-book on electric flight helpful.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:55 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaum View Post
I just bought a new Spektrum Dx8 for my Radian Pro which came with a stock AR600 receiver, and I downloaded the RadianPro.spm file from HH to my Dx8 transmitter.

I am not sure how exactly to connect the servos. I assume that I should use the included y cable to connect the aileron leads to the aileron plug on my receiver? Do I use a y cable for the flaps? Do I plug the flaps in to aux1 or gear plug in the receiver to make this file work as intended

Sorry if this was answered before
Not sure about the DX8,but on my DX6i i had too plug Right AIl servo lead in the AIL slot (receiver) and the left AIl servo lead in the AUX1.(NO Y HARNESS).
For the Flaps use a Y harness.
hope this helps.
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2010, 05:03 PM
The Flying Astronomer
Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
66 Posts
I know this is probably off topic for this thread, but just want to touch base with those
who helped me with an update of my progress. I've managed 5 or so sessions

I tried to acquire a tx to USB cable to practice with a simulator but can’t get one unless
I buy a software package that includes one. And for that price I can buy a heap of
replacement parts for the Radian (fuse x 6 or wings x 5...etc...) for the same price. The
fuse seems to be the thing that takes most of the beating and can be replaced for about
AUS$40.00.I've snapped the fuse twice and snapped the nose of three times glued by
together and flying again. So not jumping on a simulator first up is I feel not the
greatest of evils anyways you're getting first-hand experience with every flight IMHO.

Ok so being self-taught the first session was a bit crash and burn, I think it was always
going to be for a newbie. It consisted of three flights lasting about 10-30 seconds. The
last crash snapped the fuse in half where the wing fits into the body. I guess what I
learnt primarily was get the plane higher so if you stall in a turn you have height in
which to recover.

Session two lasted about 15 minute with about 4-5 flights. I got the plane quiet a lot
higher which gave me a better chance to orient myself with the controls a bit better.
Landings were pretty rough which made that hex adaptor that the spinner and prop
mount to the engine had to be tighten. So I learnt the "Bring some tools with you" lesson.

Session three I was able to consistently get the Radian to fly in the field or area I
wanted to fly and not drift off with the wind landings getting better. Except like a
@#%*ing magnet I crashed into the only pole in the field snapping the fuse at the wing
slot again. Got to learn to gauge distance hehehe…

Session four yesterday I decided to hit the back country where there is a bit more open
country. This was much better I think the longest flight was about 15 minute only coming
into land when I wanted to. Started to get a much better handle on controlling the Radian.
I crashed once in a low stall and snapped the nose off it but I brought tools and glu so
15 minutes later I was up and flying again. And to boot!!! and old farmer came buy and
offered me a spot on his property. I went and checked it out it's an area of about 500
acres of cleared country that will be great for astronomy too!! not a house in sight so a
completely dark sky site.

Session five late yesterday afternoon was the first time I flew the whole session without
a major crash and was able to perform relatively smooth landings and gauge them closer to
my position. It was also the first time I was able to fly until the battery went flat and
the Radian came home still able to fly. I even managed a few Loop de Loop's

Anyways what a hoot this RC flying is. I had an awesome session yesterday and felt that I'm
really starting to learn. I'm about to head out again this morning to get some more air time
in and try the new site. Seems to me I get better with every flight so I guess practice makes
perfect with the odd crash thrown in hehehe....

Thanks for your help! and it is great to be flying!!!

Cheers,CS
Rob
xrekcor is offline Find More Posts by xrekcor
Last edited by xrekcor; Dec 18, 2010 at 05:08 PM.