HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2010, 03:54 PM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
Or open a new motor thread. I agree the motor thing is in HH hands.

So does any have a launch mode set up and if so what moves and how far ?
Also what about a reflex flight condition ?
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2010, 03:57 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
If your bored of motor discussion, DON'T READ THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmadman View Post
can i just say lets move on from the motor issue everyone knows that a few have this issue if you have it contact HH and they will fix it easy but pages and pages of the same thing has made this a boring thread can we move on and post info on the glider
As a Radian Pro owner that has not had a chance to fly his glider or test it's wattage, I appreciate the feedback others have on their motor.
NCHeliHead is offline Find More Posts by NCHeliHead
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:11 PM
York, England
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHeliHead View Post
As a Radian Pro owner that has not had a chance to fly his glider or test it's wattage, I appreciate the feedback others have on their motor.
Ditto from me. When I do get round to testing it, I will be posting my findings and opinions.
SmartMartY is offline Find More Posts by SmartMartY
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:18 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,441 Posts
I can't open mine til Xmas. This thread, and the other one, have been great help.
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:39 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmadman View Post
can i just say lets move on from the motor issue everyone knows that a few have this issue if you have it contact HH and they will fix it easy but pages and pages of the same thing has made this a boring thread can we move on and post info on the glider
I second that !!!
leosweers is offline Find More Posts by leosweers
Old Dec 16, 2010, 05:11 PM
Joined Mar 2009
87 Posts
i have to say ive had about 20 flights on the glider and its very easy to fly i have had no probs with the way it flys im not a world class pilot i learnt to fly on a stryker the hard way and if i had this when learning it would have been a breeze
my only problem with the glider is the wing connector length but after seeing Krazykayak75's post on his plug mod thats what ill do thanks for the idear
tazmadman is offline Find More Posts by tazmadman
Old Dec 16, 2010, 05:47 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
If HH would simply post the specs on the "lower draw" motors that some want to or have returned, it would clear up a bunch of the mystery. If they are simply lower kv and can take a larger prop without issue, then to me that is actually a better setup. I like the idea of swinging more prop for higher thrust. As far as the motor issue being handled, I would have to disagree. IMO returning the stock "bad" motors might not be the best solution and I hope those using larger props continue to post their findings. Sorry that is boring for some, but it couldn't be much more ON TOPIC. If the "bad" motors start to fail with larger props, I would like to know about it. While I don't own, nor have I ordered a pro, I now kinda wish I had one of the early one with what I think is just a lower KV motor in it. If I were Kingsflyer, I would feel the same. Give me back my metal encased motor that will possibly handle a larger prop and might be better quality. Until we know that for sure, I can't see how this is resolved.

Diggs

Note: I am using the term "bad" to simply describe the motors in question, hence the quotations. I don't think they are actually bad motors, just have low pitch props and lower kv which give them the appearance of being bad.
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Dec 16, 2010, 05:53 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,441 Posts
I think we all are wondering why HH is so visibly absent from this discussion. If they would just explain a few things we would be much happier.
Well said.
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:08 PM
Thermal Chaser
Joined Nov 2010
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecase View Post
I think we all are wondering why HH is so visibly absent from this discussion. If they would just explain a few things we would be much happier.
Well said.
It seems to be a pattern with them. T28 was much like this.
Homesick_Angel is offline Find More Posts by Homesick_Angel
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:43 PM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecase View Post
Well said.
I think HH are trying to find a solution to the problem. I imagine they are still negotiating with their suppliers.

Chinese companies operate at very low profit margins in order to secure orders. A recall of this size could send the manufacturer broke. Also the bean counters at HH don't want a loss on their books.

Until some-one is prepared to take it on the chin the HH reps have their hands tied (and their mouths gagged).

Don't worry, they are reading all this.
Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:09 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,002 Posts
Radian Pro Aerial Photography/Video Pod

I wanted to show you guys what Ive been working on. Its a removeable carbon fiber pod with a tilt/pan gimbal. The pod attaches to the radian with 3M clear electrical tape, which is proven to hold without breaking or releasing, yet pulls off easily. Ive used it for mounting cameras and securing hatches or rc gas boats for years. The pod detaches in a few seconds and requires no modifications to the fuselage.

With the pod on, I can mount a Canon Powershot S95 P&S camera, or a GoPro or similar cameras. An FMA CoPilot II keeps it level and flying on course while I operate the camera. It will have a 900MhZ downlink to view as I shoot. This rig will be used to compliment my existing AP fleet (700 helicopter and hexacopter) for higher altitude pictures or anywhere I dont want to setup the big heli.

Total weight of the pod is 120 grams.

Aerial photos to come soon.
Matt
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RMRC FPV Fest 2014 Wrap-up
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:56 PM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
If they are simply lower kv and can take a larger prop without issue, then to me that is actually a better setup.
Yes yes yes.

I just installed an Aeronaut collet, yoke, spinner, and 11x4 blades. I haven't flown it yet but it 'feels' like exactly what I want. Pulls about 165+ watts at startup and tapers down to 140-150 watts after 15-20 seconds of WOT. That's a range of about 15A to 13.5A.

I'm thinking of trying a 12x5 just for the heck of it, but not before I fly this setup. (The spare Aeronaut blades are starting to pile up.)

......Mike
MS_in_NY is offline Find More Posts by MS_in_NY
Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:12 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS_in_NY View Post
Yes yes yes.

I just installed an Aeronaut collet, yoke, spinner, and 11x4 blades. I haven't flown it yet but it 'feels' like exactly what I want. Pulls about 165+ watts at startup and tapers down to 140-150 watts after 15-20 seconds of WOT. That's a range of about 15A to 13.5A.

I'm thinking of trying a 12x5 just for the heck of it, but not before I fly this setup. (The spare Aeronaut blades are starting to pile up.)

......Mike
I assume that is all a static test on the bench? Is the motor getting warm or hot from these tests? In the air it will pull less amps and have better cooling, so it should be happy once flying. If it will happily swing a 12x5, that sounds like a great setup with more power than is really needed, but great for a timed LMR.

Thanks for the info,

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:48 PM
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Jul 2010
138 Posts
EMS 11x8 goes vertical

I am using an EMS 11x8 on my Pro and can get near vertical launches. Usually takes 15 seconds to reach semi-speck (old eyeballs) height. No signs of overheating and only time will tell if I am overstressing anything in the motor, but until something breaks, I am enjoying this new Radian as much if not more than my Rad V1 which I absolutely love.

I even have the club members where I fly making comments about how well it flys and how steady it looks landing with the flaps. This is one really great plane if you just get out and fly it.

Bill P
BillyP52 is offline Find More Posts by BillyP52
Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:54 PM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
I assume that is all a static test on the bench? Is the motor getting warm or hot from these tests? In the air it will pull less amps and have better cooling, so it should be happy once flying. If it will happily swing a 12x5, that sounds like a great setup with more power than is really needed, but great for a timed LMR.

Thanks for the info,

Diggs
Yes bench test inside. I stuck my finger on the back of the motor several times after the longer runs and didn't notice any significant heat buildup. But I'm sure it takes time for the heat to get from the coils to the bell. I'm just guessing but I have a feeling a 12x5 might top out in the 18-22 amp range.

I should also mention...the Aeronaut 4mm collet adapter, 52mm yoke, and 50mm spinner ARE NOT a perfect match to the Radian nose. The spinner is a bit small in diameter and sits with about a 3/16 gap behind it. The Aeronaut 4mm setscrew adapter fits a little closer. Only about a 1/8 inch gap.

.......Mike
MS_in_NY is offline Find More Posts by MS_in_NY