HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Sep 2010
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 744drv View Post
Hey LizardMan, I REALLY appreciate the full explaination you have given there.
Thanks! It didn't seem right to simply upload the file without explaining how it was intended to be used.

The mix switch is important, both for safety and performance flying. Please be careful with that switch, it's like turning off the safety on a firearm. It's too easy to bump the throttle stick handling the model.

I leave the motor enabled for the least amount of time possible, only during launch climb out. Once at the top, flip the mix switch and start gliding. With a bit of practice you can find and flip that switch in a split second if you need to abort a landing approach. Heli pilots should find using that switch second nature.

After using the mix switch at the end of your climb, let the RP settle in to a stable glide and then flip the F-mode switch to F-mode 1 enabling most of the radio/RP features. There's no rush, but don't put it off for too long, because it's easy to forget.

Flying in F-mode 0 works, you just don't have full roll control authority (due to aileron diff) and the Aux2 (reflex,cruise,camber) switch is disabled.

Quote:
I spent most of yesterday trying to program my DX8. I have achieved something worth progressing. I have gone for crow on stick which appears to work well. The main problem I'm having is that I have had to put differential on the aileron the WRONG way to avoid overdriving the servo when using aileron with crow deployed. I guess the solution is to do this in an F mode that uses crow and then to have another F mode which is soaring mode with normal diff.
At first, I had issues with crow, diff and aileron travel. My answer was to move the linkages on the aileron horns to the inner hole (max aileron travel). With extra aileron travel available there's room for crow while still providing enough additional travel for roll control.

It's better to have less crow deflection than to have less than full roll control. Extreme upward aileron movement for crow doesn't seem to be required for good glide slope control.

In my setup, F-mode 1 is your best choice for landings, more so when using crow. The other two F-modes are really only for specialized use (climb out and working a tight thermal).

Quote:
I will spend lots of time trying to fully understand your setup and integrate your ideas ....... so very much appreciated.
Again, thank you. We're all here to help each other. I've learned a great deal from other forum users. If you find an improvement, please let me know.

Quote:
Can I ask one more favour? Your SPM is in txt format and so cannot be uploaded to my DX8. Could you possibly zip your SPM file and post it as a .zip file. It can then be unzipped by fellow RCG users and used directly on their DX8s. Sorry to be a pain .... this is really due to the attachment limitations of this site
All I did was rename the file to use the .txt extension. Doesn't renaming it to remove the .txt extension work? If not, I can create a zip file. I'm surprised this is an issue.
LizardMan is offline Find More Posts by LizardMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:38 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
516 Posts
Seems dizzying.. good thing I fly JR.
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Sep 2010
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
Seems dizzying.. good thing I fly JR.
Tell me about it. When I purchased the DX8 I had not idea I would be boxed in like this. The DX8's silly non-configurable inactivity timer greatly increases my frustrations with the DX8 too.

I would welcome an SD-10G right now. Real sailplane support would be so nice to have.

If Spektrum added a few P-mixes via a firmware update I'd be able to emulate multiple point elevator comp curves greatly reducing excess elevator comp with flaps.
Last edited by LizardMan; Jan 24, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:31 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,778 Posts
It's not only this thread. I see references to programming issues with Spektrum tx's on other threads quite often. I know they are popular, but from what I've read their syntax is somewhat confusing. Various spread-spectrum technologies aside, I have always preferred Hitec transmitters specifically due to their very understandable programming language.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:37 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,823 Posts
I love non configurable, if I had a dollar for every time Ive seen someone at the field wondering what they put on what switch with futaba or airtronics Id be rich! Put everything on the same switch, its just smart.
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Sep 2010
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH View Post
I love non configurable, if I had a dollar for every time Ive seen someone at the field wondering what they put on what switch with futaba or airtronics Id be rich! Put everything on the same switch, its just smart.
The problem with the DX8's non-configurable inactivity timer is that it has a five minute inactivity time-out, used to be 10 minutes until the last firmware update. When it triggers it goes full melt down psycho crazy, it's extremely annoying.

It beeps constantly, as if that wasn't bad enough it also continuously pulses the vibration alert motor too. That poor little motor becomes very hot within a couple of minutes, consumes more energy than the rest of the radio rapidly depleting the battery, and the vibration walks your DX8 off the edge of the surface it's resting on.

I've grown to hate that damn inactivity timer. Spektrum's answer is as DX8 owners we haven't paid enough to earn the privilege to configure the inactivity timer. I didn't want that damn thing to begin with. I'm ready to disconnect that vibration motor.

If it was set to something reasonable, say 30 minutes, beeped a couple times per minute (like a smoke alarm low on battery) and didn't vibrate I wouldn't complain.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:09 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH View Post
Exactly why I like Hitec. Flaps and reflex/crow are on sliders, and the only switch I need to consider once airborne is for camber, (on/off w/ right slider for trim). I usually don't even use the dual rate switches on the RP, I trim the plane the way I like it and just go fly. All the switches on the Optic 6 are assignable too, so you can easily assign any function to any switch.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:28 AM
Hong Kong, Discovery Bay
Joined Apr 2011
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardMan View Post
All I did was rename the file to use the .txt extension. Doesn't renaming it to remove the .txt extension work? If not, I can create a zip file. I'm surprised this is an issue.
Cannot get it to work. I'd appreciate it if you could .zip it.

The other problem I'm wrestling with at the moment ... of more general interest on an RP forum is the EFlite ESC. I had expected that I could set alternate min and max points for the esc to recognise. As far as I can see you only options are a) 1.2-1.8ms or b) 1.1-1.9ms. I'm trying to get the full esc output from a smaller throttle stick movement and the esc is already set to option a) as default. May look at using another esc.

Thanks again
744drv is offline Find More Posts by 744drv
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:22 AM
Joined Sep 2010
529 Posts
Quote:
Cannot get it to work. I'd appreciate it if you could .zip it.
Okay, I packaged it in a zip file and replaced the original upload.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:02 AM
Hong Kong, Discovery Bay
Joined Apr 2011
232 Posts
Indebted .... ta
744drv is offline Find More Posts by 744drv
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2011
46 Posts
Useful link on sailing

Hi all,
I found this informative article on the basics and concepts for the different settings/mixes on a sailplane.

http://www.orlandobuzzards.org/?page_id=892

Hope you find it as helpful as I have.

Cheers!
flatsphere is offline Find More Posts by flatsphere
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Sep 2010
529 Posts
Eagle attack!

Today, an eagle all but removed my rudder.

Time to create a new hinge.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:06 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,294 Posts
Quote:

Time to create a new hinge.
Time to get a video camera!
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:18 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,883 Posts
Quote:
Maybe it was making a patriotic statement about cheap Chinese imports invading it's airspace.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Sep 2010
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Time to get a video camera!
Unlike the inverted raking I've seen in videos, this attack looked more like an attempt at landing on the tail. The bird started out below me, slowly out climbing me, then suddenly it zoomed over and grabbed the tail.

Some hinge tape and the servo linkage kept the rudder attached to the fuse, but not enough to steer. If I'd been flying a Radian, rather than a RadianPro, I'd have lost the model. It was several hundred feet high circling in a thermal when the attack occurred.

Last weekend, an unsupervised little demon stomped on my other glider's tail breaking a horizontal stab. That repair required fiberglass work.