Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:26 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparherb View Post
Jumpy, I'm glad it worked out for you. It makes electric airplanes just a little bit safer while your handling them. Side note..a learner pilot with this setup was learning to fly along with a trainer but not using a buddy box. He started to lose the aircraft so he handed he transmitter to the instructor, but in doing so he accidentally hit the throttle hold switch. Needless to say the airplane dropped like a rock. Ask me how I know about his story.
We understand you are trying to emphasize the results of the mishap.

I hope the model had been well balanced to glide on its own like a free flight.

I am hoping that beginners-readers do not believe that.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:38 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post

Zor, do you happen to work for the Government?
No and I never worked for the government in my life.

What urged you to ask that question ?

Zor
Last edited by Zor; Jan 18, 2012 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Changed wha to what
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:45 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
Hmmm.... I think I may have discovered a major flaw in this throttle kill switch thing. If you have the switch open while turning on the tx and then hooking up the battery, everything appears to be operating normally. That is, until you close the throttle kill switch. Mine goes to WOT, regardless of stick position. Yikes !!!! This is with a DX6i, AR6200 rx.

Not really what I was hoping for. The only solution seems to be closing the switch while powering up, then open the switch for safety. Hmm... Not sure if that's any better or not.

--
Greg

Greg,

An open switch prevents a circuit from operating.

If the circuit is supposed to be preventing the throttle stick from energizing the motor, then this circuit has to be operating and it cannot do that if the circuit is open with an open switch.

Your comments ?

Zor
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:09 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparherb View Post
The DX7 throttle hold switch is the two position switch in the upper right corner of he transmitter. Call it whatever you want, the name came from the heli guys, but it does the same thing no matter what you call it. This switch is usually behind the rudder dual rate switch
moparherb,

I am honestly trying to understand your posting.

At the upper right of the DX7 that I have there is 3 switches. Two on the front panel and one on top of the case.

On the front panel the second switch from the edge is the AUX2 switch.
The other one closer to the ege is the AILERON D/R switch.
The one on top of the case is the MIX-RUDDER D/R switch.

There is no other switch behind the rudder dual rate switch.

I wonder if the DX7 has more than one model and if mine is different from yours.

Zor
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:30 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
@Zor:

The throttle hold switch is one of the first things you learn to operate if you are flying a heli. Because a heli has a lot more caution for spinning blades.If a crash or other calamity presents itself you have to be able to take out the throttle. Also electric heli's have a 80 or 100% flat throttle curve. So that's why this is mainly a heli-thing.

I also fly gliders.

I have all my throttles set on the throttle stick. And I am used to the throttle hold switch being the top right switch.

Most North American, Canadian and European heli flyers are used to a mode 2 TX and have the Throtle Hold assigned to the top right switch and the top left is for the different flight modes (Normal, Stunt1 and Stunt2)

Maybe I cleared up the issue now........
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Last edited by BarnOwl; Jan 18, 2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:10 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
@Zor:

The throttle hold switch is one of the first things you learn to operate if you are flying a heli. Because a heli has a lot more caution for spinning blades.If a crash or other calamity presents itself you have to be able to take out the throttle. Also electric heli's have a 80 or 100% flat throttle curve. So that's why this is mainly a heli-thing.

I also fly gliders.

I have all my throttles set on the throttle stick. And I am used to the throttle hold switch being the top right switch.

Most North American, Canadian and European heli flyers are used to a mode 2 TX and have the Throtle Hold assigned to the top right switch and the top left is for the different flight modes (Normal, Stunt1 and Stunt2)

Maybe I cleared up the issue now........
Sorry but I do not consider you cleared up the issue.

You are referring to "the top right switch" when there is on my DX7 3 switches at the top right like I explained in my post.

I still do not see another switch behind the MIX-RUDDER D/R switch.

Thanks for your post.

Zor
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:27 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
There's only one TOP RIGHT switch:
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:46 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post

There's only one TOP RIGHT switch:
Agreed.

I think I explained myself pretty clearly and wanted to cover all three switches that I see on my DX7 that can be considered to be at top right in case it becomes mentioned that the front face only was implied.

I am now disregarding the claim of a switch behind the MIX-RUDDER D/R switch.

No use to perpetrate the issue.

Good day all, I am hitting bed at 05:45 AM ,

Zor
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:59 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,227 Posts

BTW -

I find it odd you guys are flying backwards

Why do you need part throttle on a sail plane?

You either want to go, or you dont.

Put throttle on a sprung off switch, this is doable on a spektrum Tx's with a futaba sprung trainer switch stuck in the case.

Leaves the throttle stick free for crow, also makes launching easier in the case of mode 2, as you can control throttle, elevator, and ailerons all with the one hand.

I fly an A9, mode 2, throttle on the top RH sprung switch, crow on throttle stick, Reflex/camber on LH slider. Its logical , And to lock the throttle you just touch the screen

My 2C, from someone who has some of the BEST toy plane/helicopter scar's in the business (well over 50 stitches...) , and still regularly plays catch the plane
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:34 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post

BTW -

I find it odd you guys are flying backwards

Why do you need part throttle on a sail plane?

You either want to go, or you dont.

Put throttle on a sprung off switch, this is doable on a spektrum Tx's with a futaba sprung trainer switch stuck in the case.

Leaves the throttle stick free for crow, also makes launching easier in the case of mode 2, as you can control throttle, elevator, and ailerons all with the one hand.

I fly an A9, mode 2, throttle on the top RH sprung switch, crow on throttle stick, Reflex/camber on LH slider. Its logical , And to lock the throttle you just touch the screen

My 2C, from someone who has some of the BEST toy plane/helicopter scar's in the business (well over 50 stitches...) , and still regularly plays catch the plane
I agree with everything (particularly the photo!); except for one issue: I also had throttle somewhere on the right hand side of my A9, and crashed a plane because I was too late in taking my hand off the RH stick (I fly Mode 2 too) and getting it to the throttle switch. I now have throttle on the left hand side of the radio, so that I do not need to take my hand off the critical elevator / aileron controls while fishing for the throttle switch. Just personal choice I suppose really at the end of the day...
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:37 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlidingFool View Post
Zor haters . . .

This is getting a bit silly. Try it in a non - native language. He's not fighting back . . .
Aaaaw Daaaaad! (Sticks lower lip out, hands behind back, digs one toe in the ground)...

C'mon, when a thread has a trillion posts like this one, everything is getting silly...
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:52 AM
Fly It Like You Stole It.....
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Jan 2009
355 Posts
Zor, I'm so sorry if my explanation messed you up, it was not my intention. I'm a heli guy who just so happens to also like flying gliders and airplanes. So to me throttle hold has ALWAYS been the furthest back switch on the right hand side. It usually has a slightly longer shaft. Now the story I related about the aircraft "dropping like a rock" was correct. I was flying an E-flite Advance, not my glider and it literally fell straight down when the throttle kill switch was accidentally hit. Don't do the throttle cutoff mix if you see no need for it. I personally do and that is why all my electric aircraft are programmed that way. I'm NOT trying to convince you that my way is better or the only way, just a different slant on saftey.
moparherb is offline Find More Posts by moparherb
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:14 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
... deleted
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; Jan 18, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:58 AM
Fly It Like You Stole It.....
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Jan 2009
355 Posts
This "major flaw" does not happen with my mix setup. When the "throttle hold" switch is in the more forward position (meaning closer to the pilot) the electric motor will not operate. All other receiver function operate as normal. The motor is completely disabled using this mx setup. Now if you have a DX6I and cannot create this mix setup than I know of no way to disable the motor short of the deans wiring setup that you install in the aircraft. This is a commercial sold thing that is not expensive and works quite well. I don't know where you would install it on a RP.
moparherb is offline Find More Posts by moparherb
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:20 AM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,181 Posts
I was wondering what this rubber band throttle method looks like to hold the throttle closed on a DX6i. A picture would be great.

As a much more experienced glow plane pilot, I noticed right away this live throttle on electric planes was a bit of a worry to me. I'm also a new helicopter pilot and I'm getting better with the throttle hold switch on the right side, but getting to that throttle cut button is wired. I was told the throttle cut was for glow engines, but I was always taught to cut throttle and throttle trim to shut the motor down. It is one area I always check and set-up on a glow plane first.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss