HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:54 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparherb View Post
The DX7 throttle hold switch is the two position switch in the upper right corner of he transmitter. Call it whatever you want, the name came from the heli guys, but it does the same thing no matter what you call it. This switch is usually behind the rudder dual rate switch.
Thanks, that's the one. On my DX7 its labeled "mix-Rudder DR", and right now it's mixed to turn on or off rudder mixing. Since I don't use that, that's what I'll use for the throttle hold. It's a perfect location being on the opposite side of the transmitter from the throttle. Very unlikely that you would bump both of them.

I'll try to set up the mix tonight.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:56 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCanuck View Post
Jumpy... I don't think the Futaba is any more user friendly. But you Spektrum guys can file share your configurations via a computer upload. I gotta stop this or I'm going to end up talking myself into spending 400 bucks on a Spektrum.

Edited and ad homenum stuff deleted.
Actually, the DX7 does not have a program upload feature, so I have to program it manually.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Maybe you are a bot, or a replicator, or a cylon.
I think you might have hit the nail on the head. Explains the inability to refer to itself in the first person, and the strange syntax...
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:01 PM
What you looking' at fool!
Australia, WA, Morley
Joined Mar 2011
115 Posts
Zor haters . . .

This is getting a bit silly. Try it in a non - native language. He's not fighting back . . .
GlidingFool is offline Find More Posts by GlidingFool
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:46 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,926 Posts
Thank you, GlidingFool, for your voice of sanity. We are here to have fun, not to judge people. I was not my usual self yesterday, as I had just had my first lost-airplane experience. A huge gust of wind took it into a heavily forested ravine (not the Radian Pro) and I spent yesterday afternoon and this morning bashing through the bush with no success. I know that is no excuse to be mean to someone.

Hey, I just got full-wing camber working in my RP with the DX6i. Today is the coldest day we have had all year, and after this morning's bushwhacking session, I decided to experiment with pushing buttons to take my mind off it. If anybody wants all the dirty details and numbers used, I would be happy to provide them, but basically here it is....

1 Flaps are on the Gear switch and one of the mixes is used for elevator compensation.

2 Left aileron is on AUX channel which allows the Flap switch to move them both together and in the same direction. You could use this for either crow or aileron-camber.

3 The other mix is Gear-to-Gear which basically give you 3-position flaps. You could use it as 3-position flaps, or set the middle position to camber, which is what I did.

Now one flick of the Flap switch puts camber on flaps and ailerons together.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:54 PM
200 mph club
United States, AZ, Fort Mohave
Joined Mar 2005
869 Posts
Anyone ever try 2s with maybe a 12x8 or 13x7?
r/cmark is offline Find More Posts by r/cmark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FrSky Taranis misc stuff
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:06 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH View Post
Amazon had a screaming deal on them at Christmas time, got it for $90 to my door!
WOW!! That is a nice price!! I do have to put my eyeballs back in my head 'cause I saw the price, $199.99 But that is a nice video, guess it's lighter than the GoPro. Sure looks a little bit more aerodynamic than the GoPro!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:45 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparherb View Post
Here is the mix settings so that you can use throttle hold switch to disable your electric motor on electric airplanes. I know this works on DX7, DX8 and JR 9303 and JR 9503. I can see no reason it would not work on DX6I but you will have to try it using a different mix:

I use mix 3
make it a THRO to THRO mix
POS 0 Should be 0% in both Positions
POS 1 make both settings -100% that is minus 100%
you do that by changing the position of throttle stick
Set Offset to -200 that is minus 200
make sure that "mix" is set to position 1
Leave THRO STK Inhibited (INH)

Now when you put the throttle hold switch in position 1 (toward you) the motor will be disabled. Hope this helps and if you have any questions please ask.
On the DX7 the offset will go no further than -125, but other than that your settings worked like a charm. I removed the rudder mix and now have throttle hold.

I thank you and my arteries, veins and capillaries thank you too!

EDIT: An added bonus..I used another mix Throttle>Gear to give me proportional flaps on the throttle stick when the throttle cut off switch is off. That's something I've been wanting for a long time! So now I can launch, then hit the throttle cut off and the flaps are at 0. Pulling back the throttle deploys the flaps proportionately to full flaps when the stick is full back. Awesome!

Here are the mix settings for my RP:

THRO>GEAR OFF
RATE: 0%
+63%
SW:MIX
OFFSET:86

Many thanks Moparherb!
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jan 17, 2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added Proportional Flap info.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:55 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlidingFool View Post
Zor haters . . .

This is getting a bit silly. Try it in a non - native language. He's not fighting back . . .
I don't hate anyone, gfool, nor am I trying to goad Zor into a fight. I'm just trying to answer him in his native language, but I don't quite know what that is.

--
Greg
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:56 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
On the DX7 the offset will go no further than -125, but other than that your settings worked like a charm. I removed the rudder mix and now have throttle hold.

I thank you and my arteries, veins and capillaries thank you too!

EDIT: An added bonus..I used another mix Throttle>Gear to give me proportional flaps on the throttle stick when the throttle cut off switch is off. That's something I've been wanting for a long time! So now I can launch, then hit the throttle cut off and the flaps are at 0. Pulling back the throttle deploys the flaps proportionately to full flaps when the stick is full back. Awesome!

Here are the mix settings for my RP:

THRO>GEAR OFF
RATE: 0%
+63%
SW:MIX
OFFSET:86

Many thanks Moparherb!
NICE Jumpy!!! You have been wanting that! Who needs a DX8!!! (But I have to admit I LOVE it!!!)
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:02 PM
Seeker of Thermals
Joined Aug 2004
657 Posts
Quote:
The DX6i also has that throttle hold switch, but it only works in heli mode. It also has a throttle-cut button that only works if you are pressing it. If that switch works in ACRO mode on the DX7, that is good news. It seems that everybody has their own solution to this obvious deficiency, and that indicates that the need is
Jovanx, I replaced the throttle cut button on my DX6i with a toggle switch, as you suggested. Works great, thanks again for the idea.

--
Greg
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:06 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It.....
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Jan 2009
357 Posts
Jumpy, I'm glad it worked out for you. It makes electric airplanes just a little bit safer while your handling them. Side note..a learner pilot with this setup was learning to fly along with a trainer but not using a buddy box. He started to lose the aircraft so he handed he transmitter to the instructor, but in doing so he accidentally hit the throttle hold switch. Needless to say the airplane dropped like a rock. Ask me how I know about his story.
moparherb is offline Find More Posts by moparherb
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:09 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
I have the answer to your question Zor, or at least I think I do. This is only speculation. Maybe you are a bot, or a replicator, or a cylon. If that is the case, you never make mistakes. I, and most of the others on this post, are merely human, and sometimes we make mistakes. Sometimes we accidentally bump the throttle stick when we don't mean to. Sometimes we choose the wrong menu item when programming our transmitters. For us, having an extra level of protection is very helpful to prevent us from hurting ourselves or others.
Jovanx and other participants in this thread.

I now fully understand the pupose of having this throttle kill switch programmed in the transmitter.

I also fully endorse the idea.

The fact that I did not think about that and that it did not come into my mind on my own is not a reason for being rude and give me qualificative that I do not even know the meaning of.

Word like _ _

If that is the case, you never make mistakes. I, and most of the others on this post, are merely human, and sometimes we make mistakes.

I do make mistakes also and the previous wording is insulting and was not necessary.

Maybe you are a bot, or a replicator, or a cylon.

I have an understnding of the word "replicator" but no idea what you mean by "bot" and "cylon".

Because I did not think of the possibility of having a mishap moving the throttle stick and I was wondering why a kill switch (which purpose was not clearly indicated originally) was not, I think, a valid reason to ridicule anyone.

Thanks to the kind person that explained the purpose of assigning a switch for that extra protection.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:16 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
I don't hate anyone, gfool, nor am I trying to goad Zor into a fight. I'm just trying to answer him in his native language, but I don't quite know what that is.

--
Greg
F Y I my native language is English.

The first five years of my life were right near Central Park in Manhattan, New York City.

When my parents returned to Canada where there is two official languages English and French, I learned enough French to get along with French speaking people.

Having lived in Ontario for 46 years I am now loosing some of my French because I nearly never have occasions to use it.

Now you know.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:25 AM
Seeker of Thermals
Joined Aug 2004
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
Jovanx, I replaced the throttle cut button on my DX6i with a toggle switch, as you suggested. Works great, thanks again for the idea.

--
Greg
Hmmm.... I think I may have discovered a major flaw in this throttle kill switch thing. If you have the switch open while turning on the tx and then hooking up the battery, everything appears to be operating normally. That is, until you close the throttle kill switch. Mine goes to WOT, regardless of stick position. Yikes !!!! This is with a DX6i, AR6200 rx.

Not really what I was hoping for. The only solution seems to be closing the switch while powering up, then open the switch for safety. Hmm... Not sure if that's any better or not.

--
Greg