HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; Jun 12, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:18 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparherb View Post
Here is the mix settings so that you can use throttle hold switch to disable your electric motor on electric airplanes. I know this works on DX7, DX8 and JR 9303 and JR 9503. I can see no reason it would not work on DX6I but you will have to try it using a different mix:

I use mix 3
make it a THRO to THRO mix
POS 0 Should be 0% in both Positions
POS 1 make both settings -100% that is minus 100%
you do that by changing the position of throttle stick
Set Offset to -200 that is minus 200
make sure that "mix" is set to position 1
Leave THRO STK Inhibited (INH)

Now when you put the throttle hold switch in position 1 (toward you) the motor will be disabled. Hope this helps and if you have any questions please ask.
I have yet to make sense of the Spektrum mix syntax.
I have a DX7, and it does not have a throttle switch, but it does have a rudder mix switch, which I never use. Guess what I will do is use the current rudder mix and make that the throttle cut off mix as per your instruction.
Thanks!
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:27 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It.....
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Jan 2009
379 Posts
The DX7 throttle hold switch is the two position switch in the upper right corner of he transmitter. Call it whatever you want, the name came from the heli guys, but it does the same thing no matter what you call it. This switch is usually behind the rudder dual rate switch.
moparherb is online now Find More Posts by moparherb
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
... deleted
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; Jan 18, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:41 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparherb View Post
The DX7 throttle hold switch is the two position switch in the upper right corner of he transmitter. Call it whatever you want, the name came from the heli guys, but it does the same thing no matter what you call it. This switch is usually behind the rudder dual rate switch.
The DX6i also has that throttle hold switch, but it only works in heli mode. It also has a throttle-cut button that only works if you are pressing it. If that switch works in ACRO mode on the DX7, that is good news. It seems that everybody has their own solution to this obvious deficiency, and that indicates that the need is there.

Shame on you Spektrum and Futaba for thinking this feature is only of use to helicopter pilots. The picture shows my DX6i with the modified throttle-cut switch. The red button at lower left (if anybody is wondering ) is an "Enter" button to take the place of pressing down on the roller wheel.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:44 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
Zor - there's a switch in there (switch B in this case) that's acting as a throttle cutoff switch. In one (switch) position, the throttle stick has no effect, it's 'off'. In the other (switch) position, the throttle actuates normally.

--
Greg
I read you Greg but you are not answering my question.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:11 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
I read you Greg but you are not answering my question.

Zor
You're right, Zor. I didn't answer your question because I (mistakenly) assumed that you didn't know there was another switch in there.

OK, let's try it again.
Quote:
So, why another switch ?
Zor
Because many people (myself included) have accidentally bumped the throttle stick, causing the motor (with attached propeller) to turn rapidly, possibly inflicting serious injury on humans, animals, plants, economy cars, or even furniture. If you have a switch in there, then it won't matter if you accidentally bump the throttle stick while, e.g. slinging the xmtr around your neck, or leaning over to pick up your Radian.

Did that answer your question, Zor?

--
Greg
botulism is online now Find More Posts by botulism
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:16 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,075 Posts
Quote:
EZCanuck,
Your post kind of puzzles me.
All I have to do is bring the throttle stick all the way toward me (down) and the motor stops being energized and the break comes on from the ESC.
So why another switch ?
Zor
I have the answer to your question Zor, or at least I think I do. This is only speculation. Maybe you are a bot, or a replicator, or a cylon. If that is the case, you never make mistakes. I, and most of the others on this post, are merely human, and sometimes we make mistakes. Sometimes we accidentally bump the throttle stick when we don't mean to. Sometimes we choose the wrong menu item when programming our transmitters. For us, having an extra level of protection is very helpful to prevent us from hurting ourselves or others.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:18 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,075 Posts
Hey botulism, I was typing up my reply to Zor at the same time you were. You beat me to the punch, and your answer is right on.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:26 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
giddy up!!
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:44 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
giddy up!!
Yee-haw !!!
I got my hat.... on.
I got my boots... dusty.
I got my saddle... on my horse
He's called T-T-T-T-T-T-Trigger.
Of course.

--
Greg
botulism is online now Find More Posts by botulism
Last edited by botulism; Jan 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:21 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
You're right, Zor. I didn't answer your question because I (mistakenly) assumed that you didn't know there was another switch in there.

OK, let's try it again.

Because many people (myself included) have accidentally bumped the throttle stick, causing the motor (with attached propeller) to turn rapidly, possibly inflicting serious injury on humans, animals, plants, economy cars, or even furniture. If you have a switch in there, then it won't matter if you accidentally bump the throttle stick while, e.g. slinging the xmtr around your neck, or leaning over to pick up your Radian.

Did that answer your question, Zor?

--
Greg
Yes Greg, it fully answers why some of you guys wish to have more security in the form of a switch that disable the motor completely and prevents the throttle stick from accidentally putting the motor on.

Thanks to all respondent and for the explanation.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:01 AM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Nope not going to do it, no troll feeding for me.
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:22 AM
Somewhere lost in Texas
Joined Jan 2011
300 Posts
Hello! Here's a first attempt at video from last week's flying at the field, so hopefully reviews won't be too harsh... It was a glorious evening, winds out of the west (in the direction of the sun), gusting to 10 at times.. Enjoy..
Here's the link:

Sunset Flying with RP.mp4 (16 min 32 sec)
Patchitagain is online now Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:49 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Yes Greg, it fully answers why some of you guys wish to have more security in the form of a switch that disable the motor completely and prevents the throttle stick from accidentally putting the motor on.

Thanks to all respondent and for the explanation.

Zor
Zor, do you happen to work for the Government?
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks