HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:01 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Anyone here feel like running the Big Sky Contest?

I don't mind doing it but thought I would offer in case someone else wants to run with it.

Either way, it will start up again in February!
I like you being the Big Sky Guy JumpySticks, it wouldn't be the same without you!

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:31 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Ha nice! I'm out in the east, no snow here now, been getting dumped on then a spell of mild weather moves in, melts snow then bitter cold...Its been a weird Winter. The Atlantic ocean sure make for some interesting WX.

I'm not sure if you have done it or not, But i hope you have your Bay door taped up, snow in there is not good for the RX nor the servos!
Just leave the last few vent hole open for ventilation.
I put my RX in a balloon with a zip tie, poked a hole in the side for the Satellite plug. Just re-assurance to keep! water out.

I like the colors, If you had Green in there i would be asking if you take it to the Pride Parades! lol J/k
I bet it stands out up there.

you'll see how i protected the elec form your winter flying enemy(moisture) did to mine.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358342
I have the bottom vent completely taped up. At the temperatures I am flying in, heat buildup is not a problem. I figure since I am flying it as a glider (short motor runs) and not a hotliner, heat will not be an issue. After flying I open everything up and let it dry out. So far so good.

Hey, the green is there. The underside of the plane is alternating green and white bars. It stands out very well against the snow. As far as other Radian Pros go, there probably isn't another one for at least 250 miles.

I have several other planes that are winterized. I have a sort of unwritten rule that I make myself obey. Once it has landed in the snow once, I don't fly it again until it has been taken home and completely dried out.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:20 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; Jun 12, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:01 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,303 Posts
good call, forgot about those!! ;0)
lol i caught mine awhile ago, threw the Battery out of it, popping off the canopy!

The Velcro must of came loose! and i don't always have the band on anymore.
I've been lucky i think!

Only down fall to catching it, is the dents in the LE of the wing lol
Maybe il try catching the nose! But may have to duck for flying 2200mah's

CLUNK!!
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:19 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Thanks for the reminder about the 3 snow scoops. I actually had those taped up at one point and then I had the cowl off and forgot to put the tape back on! Good call on the rubber band for the canopy. I'll do that. It would suck having that come off and a bunch of snow jammed in there.

I have only ever done one hand-catch, just to see if I could. It took a few tries, but eventually I got it. How about grabbing the back part of the fuse? Would that work? I don't mind dumping it into the soft snow, but when it gets hard and crusty, catching it would be nice.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:28 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
I like you being the Big Sky Guy JumpySticks, it wouldn't be the same without you!

Sonny
Thanks, I'm happy to do it.

If someone wants to give it a try, send me a pm.

If there are no takers by January 29, I'll go ahead and set up the contest.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:42 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; Jun 12, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Thanks, I'm happy to do it.

If someone wants to give it a try, send me a pm.

If there are no takers by January 29, I'll go ahead and set up the contest.
You da Big Sky man Jumpy, I for one appreciate the work you put into the contest. It gives us all an excuse to become better soaring pilots.

On another subject: Again I see references to folks catching their RP's. Fun yes, a sign of good skills for sure....BUT!! I hope you are taking into account, and are aware that you are pointing a sailplane with two plastic knives capable of spinning at several thousand rpm right at your nose and reaching up and grabbing it bare-handed. I have caught my regular sailplane on occasion, and DLG guys do it all the time; fun, but sans motor...no chance of dismemberment there. The RP, or any powered sailplane is a totally different matter. I've bumped my throttle stick accidently many times, what would happen if that happened while attempting to catch the plane with my hand? I have seen a few very horrible prop-strike accidents, and have suffered one myself in recent years which required surgery and has left unsightly scars on my hand, and on my mind, (and it happened in an instant; one moment running my motor, the next and I was being rushed to the ER to have a tendon reattached). Even if you have a throttle lock on your tx, what if you forget to lock it and bump the throttle while concentrating on catching your plane just for giggles?? I would hate to read of a serious prop strike on this thread, please guys, exercise a modicum of common sense and reconsider the wisdom of catching a prop powered plane in your hands! I'm not out to tick anyone off here, but believe me, eventually an accident will happen; do yourselves a favor and knock it off......please!!!

Sonny
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
I totally appreciate the warning Sonny. I made a stupid mistake with a 450 helicopter once. The scars have healed, but the memory will never go away. On the other hand, people are maimed and killed in cars every day, and we still drive. I replaced the push-button throttle cut on my DX6i with a toggle, for the very reason of avoiding what happened to you. Now I know that while putting on my neck-strap, or zipping up my coat or whatever, the prop is not going to start spinning all of a sudden.

I work for this big mining company and their safety policy is beyond ridiculous. Their motto is "All accidents are preventable" I don't believe this is true. Even if you stayed in bed all day, you could still end up with bed sores. Anyway, thanks again for the warning. Hand-catching is not something I do every day, nor do I do it in a casual way.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I totally appreciate the warning Sonny. I made a stupid mistake with a 450 helicopter once. The scars have healed, but the memory will never go away. On the other hand, people are maimed and killed in cars every day, and we still drive. I replaced the push-button throttle cut on my DX6i with a toggle, for the very reason of avoiding what happened to you. Now I know that while putting on my neck-strap, or zipping up my coat or whatever, the prop is not going to start spinning all of a sudden.

I work for this big mining company and their safety policy is beyond ridiculous. Their motto is "All accidents are preventable" I don't believe this is true. Even if you stayed in bed all day, you could still end up with bed sores. Anyway, thanks again for the warning. Hand-catching is not something I do every day, nor do I do it in a casual way.
I'm glad you didn't take my concern the wrong way; thank you, I wasn't out to anger anyone. I've been in AMA since the early 60's, and I am a firm believer and proponent of their safety code. The RP is one of the planes that a beginning RC pilot might be flying, and I've seen posts from several newbies on this thread. I sincerely hope that those newbies would take my warnings to heart and consider safety to be one of the most important aspects of the sport, and that prop strikes can and do mangle and cause permanent injury.

As a child I witnessed a glow powered plane with a .35 size motor strike a friend of my father's in the face at full throttle. He nearly lost his sight, endured months of plastic surgery, and was physically and emotionally scarred for life; he never returned to modeling. Those of us who've been around the sport for awhile need to remember that we are examples to the newbies, and if we try something the new guys are likely to follow our example and give it a go themselves. A "don't try this at home" warning about certain activities should be SOP for us old(er) more experienced guys.

Have fun, but be aware of the dangers so it will stay fun!

Sonny
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:30 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
... I replaced the push-button throttle cut on my DX6i with a toggle, for the very reason of avoiding what happened to you. ...
Jvx, that's a brilliant idea! I'm going to do the same thing. While testing out or fitting a radio in my models, I use the rubber band method (large rubber band stretched from the handle in the back, under the tx, to hold down the throttle stick). But the throttle hold toggle switch is a fine idea.

BTW, I also had a nasty accident with a 450 size helicopter. It was on a stand (a camera tripod) and I was spinning it up testing it. It started to lift the tripod off the ground by about 6 inches-1 foot, so I grabbed the tripod with my right hand, while chopping the throttle with my left. Ooops. Hello, emergency room.

That's partially the reason I don't fly helis any more (that and having to spend $20-100 for replacement parts every time I flew).

--
Greg
botulism is online now Find More Posts by botulism
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:44 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,823 Posts
Video from mine yesterday, watch in HD!

Radian Pro Lynden ContourROAM HD (4 min 58 sec)
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:00 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
Jvx, that's a brilliant idea! I'm going to do the same thing. While testing out or fitting a radio in my models, I use the rubber band method (large rubber band stretched from the handle in the back, under the tx, to hold down the throttle stick). But the throttle hold toggle switch is a fine idea.

BTW, I also had a nasty accident with a 450 size helicopter. It was on a stand (a camera tripod) and I was spinning it up testing it. It started to lift the tripod off the ground by about 6 inches-1 foot, so I grabbed the tripod with my right hand, while chopping the throttle with my left. Ooops. Hello, emergency room.

That's partially the reason I don't fly helis any more (that and having to spend $20-100 for replacement parts every time I flew).

--
Greg
What makes me laugh and cry at the same time, is that there is already a throttle hold toggle on the DX6i. Then they programmed it so it would only work in heli mode. Why????? There is a throttle-cut push-button switch that works for fuel powered planes, but for electric, it only works if you are pressing it. That is the one I replaced with a toggle. Easy mod and well worth it.

My 450 mistake was even more stooopid. I was fiddling with reversing the servos to get the collective to work properly. I accidentally reversed the throttle servo while it was sitting on my living room floor. It started winding up faster and faster and I could see that the helicopter and most of the furniture were about to be destroyed. I didn't think about using the throttle hold switch or pushing the throttle to max to cut it off. I decided to just jump on it and make it stop before it wrecked the place. I ended up with 3 big welts on my arm and one on my knee that took weeks to heal. Blood was spilled onto the living-room carpet, and the helicopter was trashed, but the furniture was saved.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:24 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
JohnVH that has got to be the most crystal-clear onboard video I have EVER seen. What kind of camera are you using?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:49 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,823 Posts
Thanks! ContourROAM

I like it better than the gopro now! Both work good, but way less wind resistance on this thing. Then I modified a gopro mount for it to work with all my gopro stuff!

JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH