SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:18 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Well i think im heading out again today for another Flight with the RP. Lets see is i can bring her home today with out a dangling nose section! Im sure ill have some more videos!!
As long as that "heading out today" wont be the "just one more flight" day huh? Beware of the curse............ DON'T DO IT
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:21 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
As long as that "heading out today" wont be the "just one more flight" day huh? Beware of the curse............ DON'T DO IT
ha well im editing the video now!!

Man was it windy, Brent never even got a flight, i was there about 20mins before him and already had a test flight with out the cam! He laid his down and the wind took it, resulting in a ripped of tail/rudder. I told him to pick up some Nylon hinges and we'll get her fixed up ina jiffy.

Now this was from sitting flat on the ground on the simi sized slope.. the wind got in under her and she went airborne. I had my Cam mounted and a 2200mah so mine had enough weight to keep her on the ground.
But once in the air, more ballast would of helped, or a better slope!
The wind was actually making her loose ground. which you'll see in the video.

I decided to go with Crow today to help with the stand still land flat on her belly landings
It worked like a charm!

Im on the look out for bigger and better!
I know of one, i think i was telling you before, I like it and its sweet, but the 300ft shear drop to the rugged coast line and cold ocean kinda detured me from flying there, Just peaking over the edge make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:37 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Those two sentences sums it up for me!!!

Sorry to hear about that. Glad you got your GPS Data Logger & canopy. Hope the fuse comes fast & the transplant goes well so you can get back in the air.
Thank.
Maybe I should just get a whole new pnp. I Could use this one for parts and have a clean set of wings (without camera holes) for competition, should I decide to try it.

Here is video and some clips of the incident.
Prop failure.avi (0 min 58 sec)
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jan 08, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:39 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,564 Posts
Too bad about that Jumpy!...I think i would go with a New PNP...Hard to say though what i would do. As you know I've had 2 bad crash in the last 2 weeks.. One more for me and its a New fuse no questions asked...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:26 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,792 Posts
Jumpy Sticks, you sure manage to get some very cool pics from your onboard camera. Sorry about your loss, but it seems that should be a good enough reason for another RP; you know the RC addicts motto; "More is better!!"......I think you should "decide to try it"!

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:56 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
Jumpy Sticks, you sure manage to get some very cool pics from your onboard camera. Sorry about your loss, but it seems that should be a good enough reason for another RP; you know the RC addicts motto; "More is better!!"......I think you should "decide to try it"!

Sonny
Thanks,

It was getting time for a new one anyway. I didn't call it the battlewagon for nothing. Tape and Gorilla glue everywhere.
Yeah, the pics are pretty cool. You can see the blue light on the gps logger....faithfully doing its job even when ejected!

The canopy landed on a basketball court, I heard it hit while I was trying to land. Took a long time to come down. Luckily the logger landed in the grass and still works fine.

I'm pretty sure a hard landing on a prior flight cracked the blade retainer on the spinner. Contrary to what some say, aerobatics (rapid pitch changes) are stressful on the blade retainers. This flight was fine, I had one normal ascent without issue. It didn't give way until I tried some wild gyrations.

When one blade came off the imbalance ripped the front off the plane. I knew one of the mount lugs was loose when I went out to fly, so I had taped the cowl down, but that wasn't enough to hold it together. Luckily I dropped the throttle quick and the motor assembly hung on by the wires and she flew just fine, with the motor hanging down in front. If the motor had fallen off she surely would have gone very tail heavy and spun in.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Thanks,

It was getting time for a new one anyway. I didn't call it the battlewagon for nothing. Tape and Gorilla glue everywhere.
Yeah, the pics are pretty cool. You can see the blue light on the gps logger....faithfully doing its job even when ejected!

The canopy landed on a basketball court, I heard it hit while I was trying to land. Took a long time to come down. Luckily the logger landed in the grass and still works fine.

I'm pretty sure a hard landing on a prior flight cracked the blade retainer on the spinner. Contrary to what some say, aerobatics (rapid pitch changes) are stressful on the blade retainers. This flight was fine, I had one normal ascent without issue. It didn't give way until I tried some wild gyrations.

When one blade came off the imbalance ripped the front off the plane. I knew one of the mount lugs was loose when I went out to fly, so I had taped the cowl down, but that wasn't enough to hold it together. Luckily I dropped the throttle quick and the motor assembly hung on by the wires and she flew just fine, with the motor hanging down in front. If the motor had fallen off she surely would have gone very tail heavy and spun in.
I looked at the video frame by frame, and it appears that it only took a couple rotations till the nose broke off, amazingly fast in real time, you must have been amazed when it kept on flying!
BTW: What is that sticking up on the left wingtip? Is it another camera, or is it a decal flapping in the breeze? Glad your data logger survived, good thing it landed in the grass, it's not something you would normally expect to survive a drop from that altitude.

I know you listed them previously, but what camera & data logger are you using?

Sonny
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:41 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,564 Posts
RadianPro High Winds! (8 min 22 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:56 AM
Hong Kong, Discovery Bay
Joined Apr 2011
233 Posts
Quote:
Luckily I dropped the throttle quick and the motor assembly hung on by the wires and she flew just fine, with the motor hanging down in front. If the motor had fallen off she surely would have gone very tail heavy and spun in.
I was trying to work out how you managed to retain control with such a large loss of weight from the front .... couldn't see the motor 'hanging on'. There is little doubt that significant pitching or yawing puts huge demands on the prop and mountings. Guess the way forward is to use power to gain height and then aero as per a normal glider with power off.
744drv is offline Find More Posts by 744drv
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:26 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
I looked at the video frame by frame, and it appears that it only took a couple rotations till the nose broke off, amazingly fast in real time, you must have been amazed when it kept on flying!
BTW: What is that sticking up on the left wingtip? Is it another camera, or is it a decal flapping in the breeze? Glad your data logger survived, good thing it landed in the grass, it's not something you would normally expect to survive a drop from that altitude.

I know you listed them previously, but what camera & data logger are you using?

Sonny
I have a forward facing camera on the other wingtip for balance and additional footage.

The data logger is a canmore, and the cameras for this flight are the #11 jumbo keycams. I have links on my blog for the exact models and vendors.

There are newer keycams out (#16) but I prefer the jumbos for now because they have larger batteries and can shoot for over an hour on a charge. Don't want to miss that big thermal ride!
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jan 09, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:37 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Thank.
Maybe I should just get a whole new pnp. I Could use this one for parts and have a clean set of wings (without camera holes) for competition, should I decide to try it.

Here is video and some clips of the incident.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mICBgEqGxX8
WOW Jumpy, you & Eastcoast always have good video but this is CRAZY!!! I didn't know you caught it all on tape! Glad your logger landed in the grass & still works. Nice job getting her back down!
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:56 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Way cool video!!!! Not only was there reverse but I could've swore I saw some left to right sideways movement!!! And I had no idea the RP is capable of the Elevator/Parachute landing!!! I thought that was only for our F27Q Stryker Eastcoast!! Great video & wish you had more batt life to do some IFR flying!!! I did have to laugh at the beginning where she almost leapt from your hands before the launch. I figured it was pretty windy 'cause I've NEVER seen you have to hold the nose down! Nice glove..... I can't imagine what the temp was with that wind chill
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:10 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Wow....nice hover landing!

I like the way you edit out the motor runs. Do you have to clip it into several videos and recombine them?
What software do you use for that?

Realplayer has a good trim feature, but would not combine the clips together. I have mp4camtoAVI, which could be used for combining clips, but maybe you have something better?
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Welcome to my world, the site I usually fly at has consistent high winds and I recognize the back and forth motion of your trying to penetrate the wind to make forward progress, (I call it "slermaling") . The tell-tale occasional throttle blip is familiar too, no other way to get any forward momentum going. The down wind turns looked pretty hairy too, altitude is your friend at those times. Not a casual day flying, but any day flying RC is better than a day not flying RC!

Quote:
I have a forward facing camera on the other wingtip for balance and additional footage.

The data logger is a canmore, and the cameras for this flight are the #11 jumbo keycams. I have links on my blog for the exact models and vendors.

There are newer keycams out (#16) but I prefer the jumbos for now because they have larger batteries and can shoot for over an hour on a charge. Don't want to miss that big thermal ride!
Thanks. I heard about the new #16 cameras, but from your description it sounds like having a #11 too might not be a bad idea. I can see where having an onboard camera could be a useful tool for improving soaring technique and trimming purposes; I'll take that plunge soon, I could use all the help I can get.

Sonny
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:54 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,564 Posts
Quote:
Wow....nice hover landing!

I like the way you edit out the motor runs. Do you have to clip it into several videos and recombine them?
What software do you use for that?

Realplayer has a good trim feature, but would not combine the clips together. I have mp4camtoAVI, which could be used for combining clips, but maybe you have something better?
Thanks JUmpy, it was quite the hairy day flying. Needed to test this slope to see if it was good enough. ANd its not! Just can not get lift form it, If the wind was coming form my 6, theres a huge slope with about a 75 degree angle. But prevailing winds here are westerly!

As for the Program i use, its called Movie Edit pro. i use 15pro
Its like the Photoshop of movie editing, i can cut/copy paste clips anywhere, speed up/slow down and alot of other features i have yet to use lol
Its pretty easy to use.

But if you have XP or 7, it should have Windows Movie Maker.. Its just a toned down version of a higher end video editing program. very easy to use.
RCG Plus Member