Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:19 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmtrubrit View Post
...Check your RP spars, or don't. I really don't give a rats A%*
kwmt: I am pretty sure no one intended any offense, especially since Zor didn't reply.

I think that's great information, I don't suppose you could post any pictures of your glue-less spars? I'm just wondering if I should operate on mine to re-glue them, and also what type of glue to use? Epoxy would snap in a microsecond, so something semi-flexible is needed. Does Gorilla Snot...er.. glue flex when cured?

--
Greg
botulism is online now Find More Posts by botulism
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:26 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
kwmtrubrit ,

Checking the gluing of the spars sounds like excellent advice.

Maybe you could suggest HOW someone would check the spars, short of ripping them out of the wing. I think that is the key issue. People don't know how to accomplish this.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:27 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno1119 View Post
So I finally got around to fixing my busted RP. Crashed it 2-3 months ago before I moved to Germany. Was trying to be too aerobatic with it and got to an inverted attitude with not enough altitude to recover. Well the new fuse. came in the mail the other day. Structurally everything is going fine. I have an electrical question.

Currently installed I have the rudder servo, elevator servo, rx (AR6210) w/ sat, battery, ESC, and motor installed. I rebinded the RX as I've used it in a different model in the interim. Upon battery connection though, I don't hear the BEEP beep beep beep tones. The 2 connected servos function properly but the motor doesn't. I gave it some throttle for all of about 1 second to see if it responded and it didn't. The ESC became rather hot considering it was only powering servos for 30 seconds. I tried reconnecting the battery several times and rebinding, trying to connect with the binding plug removed, etc etc...

I've used this RX in a different model so I don't believe it's an RX problem. The leaves ESC or motor. When it crashed, it hit pretty hard on the nose so it could be the motor. Anyone have any ideas before I go hooking this ESC up to a different motor and vice versa?
Your BEC is working but your ESC side has issues. I would bet on the motor. The ESC gets hot if it cannot spin the motor plus it uses the motor to make those beeps on start and you are not getting those. You said you crashed on the nose, is the motor turning freely by hand when the battery is disconnected, any binding? If the motor has no binding try to push prop assembly in and out to see if it got some play in it, it should not have much.
There is a clip and a spacer on the shaft behind the prop nut, that holds the motor together and on impact can be knocked out, ask me how I know? That can cause binding. Check it out and see, you have to take the spinner off for this.
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:33 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
I use 808 KC camera. Don't know what else to use to get great video and don't know much about sailplanes except I love flying her.
Thumper - awesome video! So.. no snow in S. Idaho either, huh? After last winter's record breaking cold and precipitation, this winter has also broken records here in NW Montana - for warm and dry! WeIRd. It's a sign of the end times, y'know? Or maybe not. It was 50 deg F. here yesterday (new record high for the date). Now I can't use 'it's too cold' as an excuse to not fly, but now it's a matter of light. I get up in the dark, get home in the dark, and the weekends are usually windy. (sigh).
--
Greg
botulism is online now Find More Posts by botulism
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:57 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,121 Posts
Great thread, I haven't made it through the entire thing yet but had some basic questions. I got RP as a combination birthday present for my son and I from my father and haven't flown it yet. I have a lot flying experience with glow RC planes (club trainer) and have some micro planes and helicopters too. I had my Dad pick this plane over the other BNF (my son and I have two DX6i) because it is large and I think my son will have a great time flying it (he flys his own micro J-3 cub and the 60" glow trainer). I have zero sail plane experience, but have served as a tow plane with my old cub before at a club sailing event. So my questions are:

What is Crow, Reflex and Camber used for and why do I care? I'm a bit bummed to learn that because I only have the DX6i that Crow is the only option, sort of wished I had know that before. I've used flaps on large glow planes before for slowing a plane down for landing and helping with take offs is that the same need on a sailplane? If there is a thread i should read up please let me know. Thanks
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:16 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
Great thread, I haven't made it through the entire thing yet but had some basic questions. I got RP as a combination birthday present for my son and I from my father and haven't flown it yet. I have a lot flying experience with glow RC planes (club trainer) and have some micro planes and helicopters too. I had my Dad pick this plane over the other BNF (my son and I have two DX6i) because it is large and I think my son will have a great time flying it (he flys his own micro J-3 cub and the 60" glow trainer). I have zero sail plane experience, but have served as a tow plane with my old cub before at a club sailing event. So my questions are:

What is Crow, Reflex and Camber used for and why do I care? I'm a bit bummed to learn that because I only have the DX6i that Crow is the only option, sort of wished I had know that before. I've used flaps on large glow planes before for slowing a plane down for landing and helping with take offs is that the same need on a sailplane? If there is a thread i should read up please let me know. Thanks
Don't get too hung up on those functions. The only one frequently used is camber, which is both flaps and ailerons slightly down to increase the lift of the wing to slow the plane down to help keep it in a thermal. Reflex is a sailplane-specific function for increasing speed, (flaps/ailerons slightly up; decreasing lift), to quickly move to an area of lift, and/or to quickly bleed altitude to get down to a spot landing and to make a set time, (in a contest, for example, where the flight time is a set number of minutes). Crow is basically speed brakes, flaps down/ailerons up, mainly used for spot landings, (and a good way to doink an airplane too). I'm mainly a sailplane pilot, and I seldom find the need to use either crow or reflex, when I do I just lose altitude. Camber, however, is very useful on the Radian Pro, slowing it down just enough to circle in nice flats turns to (hopefully) ascend in lift.
Keep in mind that the RP is a sailplane, which just so happens to have a motor. Many of the posts above about wing flex and reinforcement result from the plane being flown like a sport plane, something it is not! Fly it like a sailplane and it will give you years of service. It comes out of the box fully functional and capable to do what it was designed for, when flown like a sporty it will break; nuff said.
If there is a sailplane club in your area take the time to go check it out, take a look at the planes & ask a few questions, sailplane guys are a great bunch and very willing to share their knowledge. All those mysterious sailplane functions will make more sense then.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:29 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
Keep in mind that the RP is a sailplane, which just so happens to have a motor. Many of the posts above about wing flex and reinforcement result from the plane being flown like a sport plane, something it is not! Fly it like a sailplane and it will give you years of service. It comes out of the box fully functional and capable to do what it was designed for, when flown like a sporty it will break; nuff said.
If there is a sailplane club in your area take the time to go check it out, take a look at the planes & ask a few questions, sailplane guys are a great bunch and very willing to share their knowledge. All those mysterious sailplane functions will make more sense then.

Sonny
Excellent, I have to say dropping flaps to increase altitude is something I have never thought of as a powered glow plane pilot in all my years! There are a few sailplane pilots at my field, but to be honest my club is pretty lacking in the active flying. I know one guy who I'll see on Sun and have some time to chat with. I'm not allowed to open the plan up till our birthday at the end of the month so for now it sits in my room looking very nice!

Any changes that I need to make or check on the plane out of the box?
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jrtubb; Jan 06, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:31 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; Jun 12, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:53 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Quote:
What a teaser to have it staring at you in the box!!! & you have to wait a few more weeks before you open her up & maiden her! But congrats with the gift!! I think you'll enjoy it! I'm a park flyer myself and this is my 2nd favorite plane (only 'cause I got a taste of speed with my F27Q Stryker & she's my #1!) but I have a lot of relaxing fun with her. These guys have helped me out a lot when I first got my RP 11 months ago, you can take a look & decipher what you'd like to do. Lately there's been GREAT tips & advice from other pilots here on the forum as well!!

Eastcoast78
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/membe...=313302&page=2 Scroll more than half way down the page & take a look.

JumpySticks
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=342967 Scroll down to the "Common Radian Pro Modifications"

I like my servo covers! Got them here: http://www.morganmill.com/RC/rc-site-10-7-08_037.htm Some guys use 'em & some don't.

Good luck & look forward to hearing 'bout your 1st flight!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:05 PM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
413 Posts
Pleased with performance of new prop

I bought my Radian Pro last April. I like the plane, but was disappointed with its rate of climb. It would stall and drop off to one side at anything over about a 30 degree angle of climb. A replacement prop didn't help. After reading this thread, it finally dawned on me that I needed a different prop from the original.

In August, I bought an Aeronaut CAM 10x8 prop from Esprit Model. I was finally able to buy the needed 50/4/8 spinner in late December and test flew it yesterday. I am very pleased with the difference the new prop makes! It now rockets up smoothly at a very satisfactory steep angle of climb even into a moderate wind.

I bought the aluminum turbo spinner because I thought it would be the lighter of the two aluminum spinners. The spinner and prop weigh 34 grams - just a bit more than the original spinner/prop combination. The CG was not affected that I could tell. The original prop pulled about 13 amps at wot while the new prop pulls just over 19 amps (essentially the max the original Parkzone 3S 1300mAh 15C battery can provide). At some point I'll get a battery with a higher C rating and will probably have an even better rate of climb. On the bench, the battery couldn't handle the 19 amps for more than a few seconds. In the air, the prop unloaded enough that I could climb at wot without difficulty.

Speaking of moderate wind - when I left home for the field, there was only the slightest breeze, when I got to the field, the breeze was noticeable but not bad. At 50 feet and higher, the breeze was strong enough that my Radian Pro essentially flew in place. The only way I could make progress into the wind was by clicking in some reflex. When I got home, the weather station said the winds were about 10 mph. Does that seem about right for a wind that causes the Pro to fly in place?

Ray

Edit: My plane seemed to climb to altitude fine till I got into a contest (very informal version of the ALES concept) and found I couldn't climb nearly as fast as the stock Radians in the contest could climb. I do want to be able to compete in those contests.
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Last edited by RayPB; Jan 06, 2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Listed reason I wanted a faster climb rate
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Sep 2010
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
I like my servo covers! Got them here: http://www.morganmill.com/RC/rc-site-10-7-08_037.htm Some guys use 'em & some don't.
Those servo covers are a great idea. They're easy to install and prevent ground clutter (tree roots, sprinkler heads, rocks, plant stems, etc.) from damaging the RP's wing servos during landings. I wish I had installed my set before stripping an aileron servo.
LizardMan is offline Find More Posts by LizardMan
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:13 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,776 Posts
Quote:
Excellent, I have to say dropping flaps to increase altitude is something I have never thought of as a powered glow plan pilot in all my years! There are a few sailplane pilots at my field, but to be honest my club is pretty lacking in the active flying. I know one guy who I'll see on Sun and have some time to chat with. I'm not allowed to open the plan up till our birthday at the end of the month so for now it sits in my room looking very nice!

The only thing I did was to change the stock spinner & prop blades after reading of several issues earlier on this thread. Other than that, just do the "no brainer" stuff like checking linkages, servo functions, motor mount, etc. Like stated above, a set of servo covers is a good idea if you're landing in tall grass or weeds. Many are totally happy with the stock prop & spinner too, so if it checks out ok on the bench, and you're not going to compete in ALES go ahead fly with it.
Using camber is a neat trick if you get it right. It basically changes the airfoil of the entire wing and increases lift, but it also slows the plane down. It takes some experimentation to get it to where the plane still flies straight and level, but doesn't want to stall. My tx allows me to program in a little down elevator when I flip to camber mode, which keeps the plane flying straight and keeps it from ballooning up when camber, (or flaps), are deployed. Reflex and crow take a lot of practice to use properly, if used at the wrong time, or at low altitude they can induce a stall. Unless you need to chase distant lift, or do a spot landing be careful with them.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:33 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
Quote:

Snip...

Crow is NOT your only option with the DX6i nor is it required. In fact I typically don't recommend it for thermal soaring unless you are a contest pilot. While it may be nice on the slope it is also not necessary.

While a true sailplane radio will allow you to adjust the entire trailing edge together, it is not mandatory that you do that. You can fly thermal camber, reflex camber and landing mixes with flaps alone and never use crow. My radio will handle crow with ease. I don't use it.

Let's go hunting for lift!

We spot some lift and we start to circle. We might flip on our thermal camber mix to droop the trailing edge.

We lose the lift so we turn off our thermal mix and go hunting again.

We hit some fast falling air; sink. We want to run through the sink, so we flip our camber/reflex preset and the flaps and ailerons move up a little to reflex position and the plane moves quickly through the sink. When we are in more buoyant air we flip this off.

We catch some lift and circle up again. We turn our thermaling mixe(s) on.

We have been in this thermal for 20 minutes or so. We might be at 2000 feet and have ridden the thermal about 1/2 of a mile down wind. Time to head home and prepare to land.

During our return run we will fly in cruise or we might turn on that reflex preset again to help us penetrate through the head wind. Remember we are not using the motor so we are flying upwind in a glide.

As we approach the field we want to have more energy than we need to make it to the landing mark because a gust might hit us, or we might hit some sink and lose altitude fast, causing us to fall short. So it is best to come in with more energy than we need.

As we get close to the landing zone and are confident, we can start to use that flap-elevator landing mix. If we have a more advanced radio we might use the crow (butterfly) mix, to help us slow down and bleed off altitude without gaining too much speed.

As we judge our speed we may vary our landing mix. If it is on a variable control, such as the left stick, we can make small adjustments. If it is on a switch we may have off, 50% and 100% landing mix settings. We adjust according to what our radio allows us to do.

If we have judged the wind, the plane and the field correctly, and have used our radio with skill, we come to a nice soft landing right on the mark and score this as a successful flight.

Cool?
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:00 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,894 Posts
Doesn't really answer the questions asked.

Crow is a landing mode where flaps are drooped substantially (60 - 85 degrees), in combination with a little bit of UP ailerons. It's mostly the flaps that do the slowing down for landing. Very useful if you don't have a big field to land in. Some people use little to no aileron UP, and rely on the flaps to slow things down. This mode must be assigned to a variable slider or stick so that you can increase or decrease the degree of application all the way in our your landing approach (a lot like the way you increase or decrease the pressure on your car's brake pedal as you slow down).

Reflex is a small (1 - 3 mm max) amount of flap and aileron UP. This makes the airfoil a little less "lifty" and increases the speed and penetration of the plane slightly.

Camber is the opposite: a small amount of DOWN of the trailing edge control surfaces. It makes the airfoil a little more "undercambered" and "lifty", so the plane can take advantage of lift and gain altitude.

In all cases it's necessary to experiment with different amounts of surface travels to see what you prefer.
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:09 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Excellent, I have to say dropping flaps to increase altitude is something I have never thought of as a powered glow plan pilot in all my years! There are a few sailplane pilots at my field, but to be honest my club is pretty lacking in the active flying. I know one guy who I'll see on Sun and have some time to chat with. I'm not allowed to open the plan up till our birthday at the end of the month so for now it sits in my room looking very nice!

My good friend BoomSplat set his DX6i for crow and flaps. Mine is flaps only with 20% down so when I hit the brakes there is no balooning just perfect glide slope to your feet. Give it a shot you will love the way the RP lands without it get ready for those fifty yard walks lol. Good luck I simply think that thr Radian Pro is an amazing plane. Click my name and check my blog I have a bunch of stuff thier.
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper