to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:24 PM
Gimme some slope
New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
Joined May 2011
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardMan View Post
I found it easier to eek it out in camber mode, when the wind picked up I switched back to cruise. During the stronger periods reflex helped, because it seemed to fly up wind better.
coming back to that... flicking into camber when flying toward the slope (with the wind) makes the ailerons totally ineffective.. I had to flick back to "cruise" to get it to roll and turn back into the wind.
maybe my airspeed/windspeed were to close an in other conditions it would be different.. but yeah, that was a "What the..." moment.
I was fairly as I was attempting to land.
oooCANDLEMANooo is offline Find More Posts by oooCANDLEMANooo
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:37 AM
Joined Sep 2010
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
And don't forget, when those other guys are scratching and fall below, into the trees, brush, bushes, water or whatever is below your ridge, all you have to do is power up, climb, power off and work what little lift there is ... as they watch from below.
When I arrived at the slope few were flying, because the wind was very weak. I used the motor many times, in five second bursts, to avoid dropping to the water below.

The air seemed to flow in nested shells over the ridge. The inner "lane" of lift was within 30 feet of the ridge and narrow. Each time I reached an end of the lane and turned back I lost altitude. Slowly I learned how to make those turns without moving toward or away from the slope. Camber helped, because I could fly very slowly along the lane.

After a while I moved out to the next shell. Lift there was smoother and the lane wider. As the wind increased additional shells further out from the ridge became useful. Flying slowly wasn't required, I switched back to cruise. Later, the wind picked up. I found it easier to move upwind in reflex. When the wind dropped off, I moved back to the second band of lift and switched camber back on. Slow going, but it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooCANDLEMANooo View Post
coming back to that... flicking into camber when flying toward the slope (with the wind) makes the ailerons totally ineffective.. I had to flick back to "cruise" to get it to roll and turn back into the wind.
maybe my airspeed/windspeed were to close an in other conditions it would be different.. but yeah, that was a "What the..." moment.
I was fairly as I was attempting to land.
I didn't often attempt to fly toward or away from the ridge in camber. If the wind was strong enough to support movement beyond floating down a lane I switched to cruise or reflex.

Learning how the RP responds during a turn with the wind over the edge of the ridge to land is tricky. I still haven't managed a short sharp turn and drop landing on the edge of the ridge. Usually, the wind carries the RP too far back from the ridge by the time I have the nose turned to face the wind.

Actually, I was pleased with my landings. Four nice landings in a row, one of them flying without a rudder. I need to learn how to tighten up that last turn without stalling.
LizardMan is online now Find More Posts by LizardMan
Old Sep 22, 2011, 01:56 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibongo View Post
Look up :http://www.youtube.com/user/shoegooguru
One of us is mad.
If he didn't bash this Glider and HH so much in his 3 videos and the reasons for his Mods were because of poor manufacturing etc...It Prob would not be so bad!!..If someone did that to there Plane and said here's what i did...id Prob think...ok just someone who does not understand the logic of having a Glider that is light!!...Hence Gliding!!!

But to make videos bashing a $184.99 entry foam glider!! That is pretty dame good in my book..kinda erks me...

But what do i know..adding 8-9 oz's of FG/ black tape and bungy cords to keep the wings on!! cause he Prob cart wheeled the $ h it out of it and broke the wing mounts. But he said he broke them while taking it out of his car or something? give me a brake!!
Yea they are a bit flimsy!! i agree, maybe he transports his Plane in his Austin Martin and maybe ripped it apart pushing on the wing try to get into the car...who knows

I think it started when the cloths hanger wires were used for AIl Push rod protectors!! From then on ,i knew this was going to be interesting..
Arrrr i cant even listen to his voice...

Ok my rant for today is over!!

I don't mind adding the weight to my RP when i get aerial shots like this...
My Avatar don't give it justice..

Thanks Coconut!!
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Sep 22, 2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:16 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,712 Posts
I must have been watching the wrong vid of his 'cause he talked about street luge & then there was a vid of "bowling" with his Radian....... I can't believe I spent that much time watching him. But if he's disgruntled with the plane that's too bad, I LOVE my RP!! And I'd love it even more if I had a GoPro & telemetry on her!! Just got word from a co-worker that a DX7s is due out. Same features as the DX8 but all the problems are fixed, not sure if that includes a lighted LCD screen??

And no where within 20mins driving for me to slope soar but that would be something I'd like to check out with her! And I'd use your pic as a screen saver Eastcoast but I think my wife would be upset if I replaced the family pic on the computer with an r/c plane. I don't have the proper verbage to get me out of the dog house, so I better leave the screen saver alone
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:17 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
If he didn't bash this Glider and HH so much in his 3 videos and the reasons for his Mods were because of poor manufacturing etc...It Prob would not be so bad!!..If someone did that to there Plane and said here's what i did...id Prob think...ok just someone who does not understand the logic of having a Glider that is light!!...Hence Gliding!!!

But to make videos bashing a $184.99 entry foam glider!! That is pretty dame good in my book..kinda erks me...

But what do i know..adding 8-9 oz's of FG/ black tape and bungy cords to keep the wings on!! cause he Prob cart wheeled the $ h it out of it and broke the wing mounts. But he said he broke them while taking it out of his car or something? give me a brake!!
Yea they are a bit flimsy!! i agree, maybe he transports his Plane in his Austin Martin and maybe ripped it apart pushing on the wing try to get into the car...who knows

I think it started when the cloths hanger wires were used for AIl Push rod protectors!! From then on ,i knew this was going to be interesting..
Arrrr i cant even listen to his voice...

Ok my rant for today is over!!

I don't mind adding the weight to my RP when i get aerial shots like this...
My Avatar don't give it justice..

Thanks Coconut!!
Good rant.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:18 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Lovely photo EC!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:33 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
How much camber ?

I would be interested to have a fair idea of how much camber you guys are referring to.

How many degrees of rotation for the flaps and for the ailerons ?

Thanks for any informaton.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:42 PM
Gimme some slope
New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
Joined May 2011
172 Posts
lizard,
I don't generally land they way you describe...
in heavy winds i side slip along the edge until i'm low enough to land.
OR
in light winds i fly in straight along the edge and land 90 degrees to the wind direction. Turbulance can be a problem though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
I would be interested to have a fair idea of how much camber you guys are referring to.

Zor
camber is only a smidge more than the thickness of the trailing edge
flaps go down about 30-35 degrees from "up" position

ailerons, I have max throws set in just because I like to have it when I need it.
flying slow on the ridge of a slope makes you very vulnerable to turbulence... it's a necessity to have the throw available when you need it.
oooCANDLEMANooo is offline Find More Posts by oooCANDLEMANooo
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:33 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oooCANDLEMANooo View Post
lizard,
I don't generally land they way you describe...
in heavy winds i side slip along the edge until i'm low enough to land.
OR
in light winds i fly in straight along the edge and land 90 degrees to the wind direction. Turbulance can be a problem though.

camber is only a smidge more than the thickness of the trailing edge
flaps go down about 30-35 degrees from "up" position

ailerons, I have max throws set in just because I like to have it when I need it.
flying slow on the ridge of a slope makes you very vulnerable to turbulence... it's a necessity to have the throw available when you need it.
CANDLEMANooo,

I regret I do not know how to write my question any better.

I am looking for degrees of rotation from neutral.

Many thanks anyway.

Anyone else can respond and give us an idea of how much rotation they are using ?

Zor
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:58 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
If the top of the flap trailing edge is even with or a little below the bottom of the wing trailing edge at the root of the wing, then you have camber at specification. Adjust ailerons to match that offset and you have camber. Reflex is opposite of camber, where the trailing edge of flaps and ailerons are even with or a little above the top of the wing trailing edge. Maybe 2 or 3 degrees. There is a photo of it on the side of the box that shows it. It's not rocket science, you can add more or less if you prefer, but the box shows the recommended deflection.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:14 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Thank you very much JumpySticks.

I knew it would not be much. I wondered how much some guys are using.

Zor

Edit _ _ _

I just went and looked at the box illustrations.
I do not see that the pictures are a recommendation.

One reason why I was curious what the guys end up with in terms of degrees of rotation. I was expecting that half a dozen fellows would respond as to how much they setup.
Last edited by Zor; Sep 22, 2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: To provide more explanations.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:40 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Thank you very much JumpySticks.

I knew it would not be much. I wondered how much some guys are using.

Zor

Edit _ _ _

I just went and looked at the box illustrations.
I do not see that the pictures are a recommendation.

One reason why I was curious what the guys end up with in terms of degrees of rotation. I was expecting that half a dozen fellows would respond as to how much they setup.
And what do you propose that you will do when you get half a dozen different answers?LOL

I suggest you set it up like the box shows and try it out. If you think it needs more deflection, then crank in the clevises a little until you are satisfied. IMHO too much reflex just increases drag with little additional lift. The thickness of the trailing edge seems to be the right setting.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:28 AM
Joined Sep 2010
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
The thickness of the trailing edge seems to be the right setting.
For reflex I used a trick I found on-line. Lay a straight edge along the underside of the wing. Adjust flap deflection up until the trailing edge of the flap forms a straight line with lowest points forward of the flap. This may not be the "best" setting, but it works for me.

Those with a TX with a knob or slider could program a mix to fine-tune flap position in flight. I use a mix, but the DX8's "Flap Trim" function does the same thing. Use this control to test flap positions in reflex and camber modes, then program your camber/cruise/reflex settings to your optimized positions.

The DX8's flap trim feature is less flexible, because it isn't switched. Changes made using flap trim remain in effect in all flight modes, cruise/camber/reflex settings and flap switch positions. Using a mix avoids the need to remove flap fine-tuning after exiting camber or reflex mode. A mix controlled by a switch quickly switches between flap positions to verify a new position is actually better.

Changes in flap deflection often require Ele trim changes.
LizardMan is online now Find More Posts by LizardMan
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:53 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,440 Posts
Quote:

Zor
As others have noted. a good starting point for camber is just the thickness of the TE (training edge of your Pro's wing!! About 3-4mm i guess.

As Jumpy was saying too much is not always the best...
For some time now i have had down elev mixed with my Camber. If it is windy you well gain Altitude without thermals. Just the head wind well lift you... My last day out at a funfly!! i almost had a fly a way RP. First time ever!! And yes i had a few seconds of panic!! you can see it in the video when i start to dive to loose Alt fast..
This is also with a 8oz cam added to the AUW.

So i took the Elev mix out and tested it with just the Ail deflected down(I only have a DX6i so i cant have full span anything) and now she wants too lose Alt similar to how she wants to loose Alt with flaps deployed. What would cause this? my Ailerons are deflected to much..cause before i had help with the Elev mix..Now all the Ailerons are doing is acting like flaps..and they are only about 2x the thickness of the TE...

So what im getting at here is..Ive had this RP for almost a year now!! (got it the first week it was released) and i still play with different settings.
And the RP is the perfect model to do so.
All the setting are starting points. and as you know every one has different flying styles and how they like there plane in the air..Just like Expo!!

As for flaps...I was excited to get get almost 90 degrees of deflection when i first got this ship...If its windy and you pop all this flap,she is going to balloon like a mofo!! so add some down elev!! test it in different conditions and find a happy medium.

Ive sense toned down my flaps to around 45 degrees with still about 5mm of down elev mixed.

Degrees of rotation isn't commonly used,most measurements are down in mm.

unless its the flaps ,like i just used 45 degrees,only cause i eyeball it.
But as for Aileron deflection or camber/reflex/crow i would use millimeters...

Sorry not sure if i missed it or not, but have you Maiden-ed your RP yet?
If not take it easy on your Throttle your first flight. Launch it and get 200-300ft, cut throttle, let go the right stick and see what she wants to do. Trim it and have fun...I know you well... If she porpoises, add down trim..more then likely you are tail heavy..land... slide you battery forward 1/2'' and re launch...
I like having a touch nose heavy plane for wind, but also i find it easier to trim the nose up till you get to the point before she wants too nose up and stall...but that don't mean that's the correct way, just how i like to do it...

Another good tip is, if you are heading downwind and setting up for a crosswind/final landing, if you bank on the Aileron she could go into a weird stall.
She is not forgiving with banking and has a bad tendency to loos Alt. Use more Rudder then Ail to keep the wings level, bank them big wings against some strong winds and you can get yourself in trouble very fast!! Ask me how i know!!

Cheers
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Sep 23, 2011 at 06:53 AM.