HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:47 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgerth View Post
In my opinion, this is a SPINNER failure, not a PROP failure. Since the affected blade is lost in deep woods, we'll never know for sure, but that is my feeling.

Bill in MO
Arent they one in the same, both being not dependable?
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:52 PM
Kiwi's can fly
New Zealand, Auckland, Waiuku
Joined Mar 2011
191 Posts
are these prop/spinner failures happening even with soft start/stop options.
Brettis is offline Find More Posts by Brettis
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:54 PM
Jefferson City, MO, USA
Joined Sep 2010
107 Posts
Spinner Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Arent they one in the same, both being not dependable?
VP
Pete, I agree both are disappointing. I just wanted to be clear about what I think is the cause in my case.
billgerth is offline Find More Posts by billgerth
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:58 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgerth View Post
Here is a photo of the failure of my RP spinner yesterday. The shaft web on the other side looks perfect with no cracks of any sort. Upon closer inspection of the fuselage plastic nose cap, I find a crack spanning two of the four motor mounting holes. Consequently, I'll be replacing that part as well.
Bill in MO
That's exactly what mine did, except the prop wedged in a strange angle and did not fly away. I did shut down immediately and so avoided shaking the front off the plane. Did have to reglue two of the mounting lugs into the fuse, as they were loosened/compressed by the vibration. Foaming Gorrilla Glue to the rescue!

IMHO this is normal wear and tear for a plastic part which impacts the ground on any hard landing and is then subject to some serious torque starting and stopping.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 22, 2011, 05:57 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Jumpy is right, you have to expect failure from a part the starts and stops with a jolt plus being rammed into the ground now and then. I can build a replacement part that will not happen to but why not just buy a new part now and then.

Nothing like that happened to me but I imagine because I have replaced the parts from time to time after crashes. My plane had a very hard first year.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:06 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
SNIP.. My plane had a very hard first year.
If this had been a balsa plane I would be on about replacement number 6 by now.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:18 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,778 Posts
Isn't there a good alu prop/spinner replacement at HK? I've seen combo's there for less than 10 usd. That could prevent a lot of trouble...
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:23 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
The problem is when it happens to a new plane and it rips the whole nose apart.
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:17 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
The problem is when it happens to a new plane and it rips the whole nose apart.
VP
I have talked to a lot of Radian owners and no one has ever mentioned this to me. Have to be careful to avoid thinking this is a common problem.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:03 PM
Jefferson City, MO, USA
Joined Sep 2010
107 Posts
PROP/SPINNER Failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post

IMHO this is normal wear and tear for a plastic part which impacts the ground on any hard landing and is then subject to some serious torque starting and stopping.
Jumpy, I think you've got the right idea. When you think about the relatively low cost of the Radian PRO compared with the high level of performance and enjoyment it provides to its owners, it kind of puts it into perspective. If each part of the RP were engineered for very long life under the hard use we put it to, it would probably cost 3 or 4 times as much. Molded plastic is obviously much less expensive than machined aluminum.

This is the value of this group: that we can share experiences and learn from each other. When my spinner failed, I was able to respond quickly and get my RP back relatively intact because I knew of this type of failure from others.

Bill in MO
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:32 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,748 Posts
I've taken careful notice of that spinner issue and dug in my drawers until I found an aluminum HK spinner w/ 4mm adapter and will be using that right from the first flight; I'll keep the stock one as a spare. Mine came in slightly tail-heavy anyway, so a tad extra weight on the nose will help anyway. I'll be maidening mine tomorrow at an ALES contest using Graupner 11x6 blades, (20 amps at WOT w/ 35C lipo).

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:47 PM
Jefferson City, MO, USA
Joined Sep 2010
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
I've taken careful notice of that spinner issue and dug in my drawers until I found an aluminum HK spinner w/ 4mm adapter and will be using that right from the first flight; I'll keep the stock one as a spare. Mine came in slightly tail-heavy anyway, so a tad extra weight on the nose will help anyway. I'll be maidening mine tomorrow at an ALES contest using Graupner 11x6 blades, (20 amps at WOT w/ 35C lipo).

Sonny
Sonny, good luck in the contest tomorrow! Let us know how everything turns out.
Bill in MO
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:55 PM
Fremont
Joined Feb 2011
30 Posts
About a month and a half ago I wadded up my pro...Finally got everything back together today. Tossed the battery on the charger and put it in the plane. As soon as I apply throttle motor starts to surge...could this be the battery since it sat for a while?
Thanks
NorCal2500HD is offline Find More Posts by NorCal2500HD
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:15 PM
Jefferson City, MO, USA
Joined Sep 2010
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal2500HD View Post
About a month and a half ago I wadded up my pro...Finally got everything back together today. Tossed the battery on the charger and put it in the plane. As soon as I apply throttle motor starts to surge...could this be the battery since it sat for a while?
Thanks
Sounds like the ESC may be signaling low voltage cutoff. Have you measured your battery voltage? My stock Parkzone batteries generally read around 12.6 volts just after coming off the charger with no load. They drop to around 12.5 volts by the time I get to the field. Also did you check the individual cell balance? My stock packs generally hold balance within .01 volts. My Hyperion charger balances the cells on every charge cycle.
Bill in MO
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:32 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal2500HD View Post
Thanks
It depends on what your battery voltage was 45 days ago when you sat the pack down. Lipos well hold a decent charge for quite some time. 45 days is not a very long time. Ive had Lipo's sit for 2 months and drop a % of Voltage.(fully charged at 4.20 per cell) and after that time it dropped down too 4.10Vish.

Its recommend to give any lipo a storage charge of around 3.8v per cell. But that's for a extended period like over 6 months. Every single battery that Ive got form HK or where ever, has had 3.8V across the cells.

Don't let either of the Cells get below 3.0v hence the Pulse the ESC sends too the BL telling you its time too land!! And change Packs.
Most chargers well give you a warning that voltage is too low and well not charge it.
What charger are oyu using?
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member