HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:16 PM
Joined Feb 2011
88 Posts
Well I will be getting my Radian Pro at the end of this week along with my DX5e. This is my first real major RC plane. I am stepping up from the toys. I wanted the DX6i but it was tough to find and I did find one but it came with an RX but I did not need that and it was a little more than what I wanted to spend right now. I will get one later when I get good at the basic controls of the plane, at least I can practice with the Radian Pro on my flight sim. before it arrives. I hope the flight characteristics of the RP on my sim. are close the real RP. I am beginner but I will post my thoughts about the plane after a few flights. I have logged a lot of sim. time so we will see how it goes.
Flux Cobalt is offline Find More Posts by Flux Cobalt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:57 PM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux Cobalt View Post
Well I will be getting my Radian Pro at the end of this week along with my DX5e. This is my first real major RC plane. I am stepping up from the toys. I wanted the DX6i but it was tough to find and I did find one but it came with an RX but I did not need that and it was a little more than what I wanted to spend right now. I will get one later when I get good at the basic controls of the plane, at least I can practice with the Radian Pro on my flight sim. before it arrives. I hope the flight characteristics of the RP on my sim. are close the real RP. I am beginner but I will post my thoughts about the plane after a few flights. I have logged a lot of sim. time so we will see how it goes.
Is the Radian Pro on Phoenix now? I've only seen the original Radian, but I sent the developer a request for the RP a while back...
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:44 PM
Joined Feb 2011
88 Posts
The sim. that I fly the Radian Pro on is a free sim. its called RC Desk Pilot. The web site is www.rcdeskpilot.com. It’s not bad for a free sim., you can also get some add on aircraft for it. I think the Radian Pro was an add on, but the Radian Pro came in a zip file with the original Radian that had four different setups. I normally use ClearView RC Sim but I like them both. PM me if you have any other questions.
Flux Cobalt is offline Find More Posts by Flux Cobalt
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:14 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,464 Posts
DX8 wll be MUCH better. There is a set-up on-line for the DX-8 that I think you can download.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 28, 2011, 04:05 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
How often do you guys use the Crow, Reflex, Camber, and Flaps function on the Radian Pro?
Thanks
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 28, 2011, 04:24 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,301 Posts
Quote:
How often do you guys use the Crow, Reflex, Camber, and Flaps function on the Radian Pro?
Reflex, camber, flaps: never. Useless functions on this model (IMO).
Crow: about every fourth landing, and to escape from the occasional boomer thermal. Very worthwhile function (again IMO).
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Jun 28, 2011, 04:26 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
I know crow is used as a speed brake but won't flaps also serve as a speed brake?
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:07 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Crow: about every fourth landing, and to escape from the occasional boomer thermal. Very worthwhile function (again IMO).
I don't have a Radian Pro but I do fly full house gliders so I can say that I use reflex, camber, flaps/elevator mix every flight. I don't use crow on any of my planes even thought my radio has this mix.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:09 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Okay, but it is worthwhile to use these functions as an excercise for a newbie?
VP
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:13 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
I have found camber to be useful in getting better lift/drag out of the wings. Once I was scratching for altitude in very light lift on the slope, and I would slowly climb with camber where I might have had to land with only the cruise setting. In a thermal, it lets you circle more slowly without stalling, which means less drag and less bank angle, both of which should help noticeably. Reflex, at least in theory, lets you fly with less drag at higher speeds. I never used it much because cruise speeds seemed high enough, and I didn't use reflex often enough to keep the trims dialed in for that mode.
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:37 PM
USA, CT, Stamford
Joined Jun 2006
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian A View Post
I have found camber to be useful in getting better lift/drag out of the wings. Once I was scratching for altitude in very light lift on the slope, and I would slowly climb with camber where I might have had to land with only the cruise setting. In a thermal, it lets you circle more slowly without stalling, which means less drag and less bank angle, both of which should help noticeably. Reflex, at least in theory, lets you fly with less drag at higher speeds. I never used it much because cruise speeds seemed high enough, and I didn't use reflex often enough to keep the trims dialed in for that mode.
How much camber do you find works best?
Mathelo is offline Find More Posts by Mathelo
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:42 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2010
237 Posts
My setup is a little unique, but I've found full flaps and crow quite useful for spot landing practice. It really slows down though, so in wind.... (Hit crow in 10-12 mph winds and you have a slow vertical or backward landing!) My setup also has a half flaps setting. It's really useful for making my climb outs look like a baboon is flying (major pitch sensitivity) and has too much drag to help in thermalling. I sometimes use it on approach if my downwind turn was too early, but wouldn't bother with it otherwise (it's an artifact of the flap function on my radio.)

For a while I had a flaps only camber setting (flap te down about a quarter of an inch) and it seemed to help in thermals but I didn't play with it enough to really say whether it's worth it. One other flyer at the club says camber really helps him (it's a little less than mine was.) Then again, he is an ultra smooth flyer and I'm, uhhhh, not so much. I'm going to put it back in, as well as some reflex to try that out.

I'd say if you're using this to learn what these functions are good for, load it up with all the functions and play with 'em. It's a lot better to learn that you can't land in crow on an RP (which bounces) than crunching in your shiny new $2000 Supra (which don't bounce)!

Good flying, and go for it!
Jimmitude is online now Find More Posts by Jimmitude
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:46 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post
How much camber do you find works best?
I haven't experimented with different settings much, but I used about 1-2 trailing edge thicknesses.
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:46 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmitude View Post
My setup is a little unique, but I've found full flaps and crow quite useful for spot landing practice. It really slows down though, so in wind.... (Hit crow in 10-12 mph winds and you have a slow vertical or backward landing!) My setup also has a half flaps setting. It's really useful for making my climb outs look like a baboon is flying (major pitch sensitivity) and has too much drag to help in thermalling. I sometimes use it on approach if my downwind turn was too early, but wouldn't bother with it otherwise (it's an artifact of the flap function on my radio.)

For a while I had a flaps only camber setting (flap te down about a quarter of an inch) and it seemed to help in thermals but I didn't play with it enough to really say whether it's worth it. One other flyer at the club says camber really helps him (it's a little less than mine was.) Then again, he is an ultra smooth flyer and I'm, uhhhh, not so much. I'm going to put it back in, as well as some reflex to try that out.

I'd say if you're using this to learn what these functions are good for, load it up with all the functions and play with 'em. It's a lot better to learn that you can't land in crow on an RP (which bounces) than crunching in your shiny new $2000 Supra (which don't bounce)!

Good flying, and go for it!
Thanks for the inspirational post!
VP
Old Jun 28, 2011, 06:21 PM
Gimme some slope
New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
Joined May 2011
172 Posts
*IDEA*

my dx6i only has flaps in an "on or off" toggle switch.. so heres what I'm scheming.

I'd love to have variable flap settings, so what i'm thinking is if i put the motor on a toggle (either on or off) and the flaps on the throttle stick, i could in theory have infinitley variable flaps.

I don;t know if i could get Crow working too.. but i know i'd use flaps alot more if I could use full throw as a brake, and gently ride the flaps during soaring/landing to optimise my lift as i see fit.

what do you guys think.
oooCANDLEMANooo is offline Find More Posts by oooCANDLEMANooo