HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:50 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Ouchhh!! that sucks. What kinda Prop you got on there? gray? sort of looks like a APC.
It looks more like loose motor mounts or prop detachment. Before the vid ,i was wondering how can a Hard Brake cause a catastrophic failure. Isn't Brake for stopping the Prop? Ive had hard Brake on my Pro from the get go. So there's no windmilling of the Prop while gliding powerless.
Am i missing something here?
Personaly I don't see enough evidence in the video or audio to indicate what exactly happened.

I'm not saying that when the motor brake is applied that this couldn't happen, but if that was the case it is a rare occurence.

I gather your thought on this is, your running WOT and then pull back to idle(stop) and the sudden stop of the motor caused...Fill in the blank.

I would like to know what motor and prop were on there.

Is there any chance you could have had some structural weakness in the nose? prior rough landing on the nose?

I ask becuase I have only seen in all my years a motor come loose under power.

In answer to why we run the break, it's becuase a rotating prop causes undue drag on the plane. dosent' matter if it is a folder or not. I have seen folders without a break free spin completly extended.
Mike R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:12 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
United States, TX, Flower Mound
Joined Jan 2011
297 Posts
Quote:
It looks more like loose motor mounts or prop detachment
Agreed, I be more inclined to believe that its prop related. I had a very similar thing happen to me... When I finally found my cowling/motor with the remains of the spinner, it appeared that a prop let go, and then the whole front end separated from the foam. Since then, I've replaced the motor with an 1130 Kv Cheapo, aluminum spinner, and Aeronaut props with hard brake. Performance is wow now...

-Paul
Patchitagain is offline Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Last edited by Patchitagain; Jun 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Color..
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:19 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Picked up your charger today rcmarky, the exact model, Thunder Power TPC610C AC/DC, will be putting it to good use in a few days.

Counting down the days when your Styrker arrives Eastcoast, talk about one extreme to the other. One minute you're cruising up 900AGL soaring with the hawks, then on your next battery you're cruising at 80mph+ almost cutting down the hawks that get in your way of your Stryker!! Can't wait to hear your maiden flight with that thing!!

Jumpy did you ever pick up a new charger?? If so what make/model did you decide to go with? Happy flying guys and hope Father's Day brought all of you good stuff.
I ordered this one. Hope it works!

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...llpro-Multi4_3
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:40 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Cell Pro's have a excelent reputation.

Mike R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:51 PM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Don't waist a mix on 2 position flaps!! I just sub-trimmed and few mm of flaps down that are active all the time.. Keep your other mix for
either Camber or reflex. I tested both and i like reflex(Ail up a few mm) better. It helps her zip along the sky fast when your looking for some more lift!!
Check my Blog for info on my RP. I use the DX6i as well.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358342
Thanks, i will have a look there when at work tomorrow. What is reflex btw?
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:59 PM
Kiwi's can fly
New Zealand, Auckland, Waiuku
Joined Mar 2011
192 Posts
i put a different ESC in my pro and forgot how to program it and as i have throttle controlled from a switch on my dx8 i just programmed 1 sec in the time delay function in the servo setup.acts like a soft start
Brettis is offline Find More Posts by Brettis
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:25 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderdmb View Post
Be careful with the hard brake on a folder prop. Here is a catastrophic failure on my radian with a folder prop and a hard brake on my castle esc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJD-6o5hORI
You always breakn stuff

Ready for another FPV event ?
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:25 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
Personaly I don't see enough evidence in the video or audio to indicate what exactly happened.

I'm not saying that when the motor brake is applied that this couldn't happen, but if that was the case it is a rare occurence.

I gather your thought on this is, your running WOT and then pull back to idle(stop) and the sudden stop of the motor caused...Fill in the blank.

I would like to know what motor and prop were on there.

Is there any chance you could have had some structural weakness in the nose? prior rough landing on the nose?

I ask becuase I have only seen in all my years a motor come loose under power.

In answer to why we run the break, it's becuase a rotating prop causes undue drag on the plane. dosent' matter if it is a folder or not. I have seen folders without a break free spin completly extended.
Mike R
Are you asking me or traderdmb(i original poster)?
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:41 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenraad View Post
Thanks, i will have a look there when at work tomorrow. What is reflex btw?
Reflex is when your Flap's and Ailerons flair up a few mm. The result is faster moving glider. Very effective when your up hunting for a thermal and need too cover a lot of ground with out loosing a lot of altitude.
Camber is the opposite, Flap's and Ailerons flair down a few mm. The result is slower moving glider, causing/helping you achieve extra left in a thermal.
Then there's Crow Flap's down and Ailerons up!!. Great way too slow your glider down on landing.

But a DX6i/6Ch TX its not possible to have all 3 at the same time.
I tried all 3 individually and i like Reflex the best. Flaps can slow the Pro down enough too land. So i didn't need Crow!! I sub trimmed the flaps with gives me that added touch of lift all the time, so i don't need camber. Reflex is what suits me best.
Ohh when my Ail flare up my flaps don't!! She speeds up quite well ,even in a strong headwind!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:46 PM
USA, CT, Stamford
Joined Jun 2006
521 Posts
Quote:

Mike R
I have the FP8. Love it. I can charge just about anything with it.
Mathelo is offline Find More Posts by Mathelo
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:21 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
Quote:

Mike R
I'm not sure why.....It came in today and I must say I am very disappointed.

Not sure what I was thinking when I ordered this, it has no AC plug, only alligator clips to clamp to a battery. For output it has a strange plug with a red and black wire coming out, nothing but two bare wires on the other end. Apparently I have to buy something else to connect to my battery. Then it has an open port with three posts sticking out of the circuit board where you are supposed to connect it to the pc to program. No female usb port.

I think this will go into the junk electronics box.

I'll just have to get a real charger at the LHS.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jun 23, 2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:50 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
This is an excellent charger, but you need to read the description. The wires are plugged into the alligator clips with banana plugs, so it will plug right into a suitable DC power supply. All you need is a low cost 5A supply. This is common for Lipo chargers... most do not run directly on AC power. You also needed to buy a balance adapter board for the type of balance connectors on your battery. For the PZ batts, that would be a JST-XH connector. Not sure about the USB connection - I thought mine came with a cable, but don't remember and can't check right now. It's not needed anyway, and I've never used it.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:59 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
This is an excellent charger, but you need to read the description. The wires are plugged into the alligator clips with banana plugs, so it will plug right into a suitable DC power supply. All you need is a low cost 5A supply. This is common for Lipo chargers... most do not run directly on AC power. You also needed to buy a balance adapter board for the type of balance connectors on your battery. For the PZ batts, that would be a JST-XH connector. Not sure about the USB connection - I thought mine came with a cable, but don't remember and can't check right now. It's not needed anyway, and I've never used it.
They should have recommended the adaptor at the website.

I'll take your word that it's a good charger, just didn't know that I would need more accessories to use it. I'll look for a 5a power supply and the adaptor. My bad, I should have studied this more. I would have preferred an all in one package like they had at the LHS for around $100.00. Darn add ons tend to get lost in the clutter. The clutter is my bad too of course
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:23 PM
USA, CT, Stamford
Joined Jun 2006
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
They should have recommended the adaptor at the website.

I'll take your word that it's a good charger, just didn't know that I would need more accessories to use it. I'll look for a 5a power supply and the adaptor. My bad, I should have studied this more. I would have preferred an all in one package like they had at the LHS for around $100.00. Darn add ons tend to get lost in the clutter. The clutter is my bad too of course
I have to agree that purchasing one of these is a bit confusing but that is in part because it is so flexible and Lipo charging isn't the same as NIMH.

If you just want a plug in play charger, there may be better choices but you will lose the flexibility. I use mine almost entirely with the computer interface except when at the field. Gives me complete control and tons of monitoring/graphing choices. I have the PL8 and I can charge at 40Amps with the right power supply. I use it to charge my AGM battery at this rate.

Louis
Mathelo is offline Find More Posts by Mathelo
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:26 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
I got a tritonEQ 3 years ago AC/DC and have never looked back!! paid 140 bucks but its worth it.
RCG Plus Member