HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:15 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Thanks guys. Lots of good information here. Will have to do some studying.
I'm in your situation as far as getting a new charger goes Jumpy. My LHS has all kinds of chargers and I'm looking for the same feature as you, "idot proof". And I like the battery "storage option" in case I'm not able to fly for a few days/weeks as well as the AC option. A lot of the chargers I was shown was DC only (and there 's a lot of choices out there!!)

So I've got my eye on the Thunder Power TP610C AC/DC (it was mentioned a few post back). $119USD:

The cons I've read about this charger is you had to press the buttons hard to make selections and there is no cooling fan.

I asked about charging multipule batteries at the same time and the price jumped up to almost $200USD for those chargers and they were DC only!! So I can charge 'em one at a time, no drama for me!!!

Good luck and if you don't mind let me know what you decide to go with.
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:51 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oooCANDLEMANooo View Post
The flaps had Waaaaay too much throw and up elevator... so when i hit the flap switch it pulled nose-up 80degrees..managed to nose it forward and not stall.
Managed to pull off a beautiful landing on the maiden.. next flight I tried to land with flaps and it seemed to be affected more by the wind, so it didn't slide along like the first.
Glad to hear it went well. I'm using a DX6i and I have the "Recommended Setup" from the HorizonHobby site where they suggest elevator UP 20% when flaps are deployed. That works for me and this is my first plane with elevator. Nice recovery when you deployed flaps! And my maiden voyage I caught all 3 landings.... I have yet to catch a landing since?!?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:19 AM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
I'm in your situation as far as getting a new charger goes Jumpy. My LHS has all kinds of chargers and I'm looking for the same feature as you, "idot proof". And I like the battery "storage option" in case I'm not able to fly for a few days/weeks as well as the AC option. A lot of the chargers I was shown was DC only (and there 's a lot of choices out there!!)

So I've got my eye on the Thunder Power TP610C AC/DC (it was mentioned a few post back). $119USD:

The cons I've read about this charger is you had to press the buttons hard to make selections and there is no cooling fan.

I asked about charging multipule batteries at the same time and the price jumped up to almost $200USD for those chargers and they were DC only!! So I can charge 'em one at a time, no drama for me!!!

Good luck and if you don't mind let me know what you decide to go with.
Hello,
I had mentioned earlier about my TP610C AC/DC charger and I think it's great. I haven't had any issues with the buttons however, and I haven't noticed any heat issues either. It gets warm, but the batteries stay cool and I haven't melted my counter top yet. I wanted to get a charger that would do 2 batteries at the same time as well, but like you mentioned the price goes way up and you need a seperate power supply which makes the price justification that much tougher. Someday I'll get one but for right now the TP610C AC/DC suits my needs.
rcmarky is offline Find More Posts by rcmarky
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:53 AM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Glad to hear it went well. I'm using a DX6i and I have the "Recommended Setup" from the HorizonHobby site where they suggest elevator UP 20% when flaps are deployed. That works for me and this is my first plane with elevator. Nice recovery when you deployed flaps! And my maiden voyage I caught all 3 landings.... I have yet to catch a landing since?!?
Are you sure they suggest elevator UP when flaps are out? I accidentally had up mixed in the first time I tried flaps on this plane, and it nosed WAY up! Once I realized my mistake and put in the down elevator, there is no ballooning at all.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:36 PM
Joined Sep 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Some pics of my radian from the weekend, dog flighting a seagull. Nice spot to fly, nice weather for winter too!
what RX does the seagull use ??? can a seagull really do 'crow' ???
hhheagle is offline Find More Posts by hhheagle
Old Jun 15, 2011, 03:45 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
Are you sure they suggest elevator UP when flaps are out? I accidentally had up mixed in the first time I tried flaps on this plane, and it nosed WAY up! Once I realized my mistake and put in the down elevator, there is no ballooning at all.
Whoa, sorry. In the "UP" section it shows "-20%". Whew, thanks for catching that, I would've felt really bad if someone used my misquoted settings and stalled and crashed. Thanks again for the correction. And here's the link from HobbyZone for their recommended setups if anyone missed it:

Look to the right of the screen under "Recommended Setups" for your DX radio.

Thanks again bd!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:27 PM
Gimme some slope
New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
Joined May 2011
172 Posts
Quote:
Whoa, sorry. In the "UP" section it shows "-20%". Whew, thanks for catching that, I would've felt really bad if someone used my misquoted settings and stalled and crashed. Thanks again for the correction. And here's the link from HobbyZone for their recommended setups if anyone missed it:

Look to the right of the screen under "Recommended Setups" for your DX radio.

Thanks again bd!
I don't know if i programmed it incorrectly, or if the instructions were wrong, but the HoriizonHobby instructions did not work and did not give Crow.
Mine was giving up elevator when hitting the flaps and i'm pretty sure I followed the HH instructions.. (I've only ever flown 2 channel slopies, or Helicopters) so didn't realise down elevator would be required.

Only when I pluges the aileron into the Aux1 did i finally get Crow working.

I'ts looking like a rainy/gusty/stormy weeken so i won't be able to try my new set-up anytime soon.
oooCANDLEMANooo is offline Find More Posts by oooCANDLEMANooo
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:35 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oooCANDLEMANooo View Post
I don't know if i programmed it incorrectly, or if the instructions were wrong, but the HoriizonHobby instructions did not work and did not give Crow.
Mine was giving up elevator when hitting the flaps and i'm pretty sure I followed the HH instructions.. (I've only ever flown 2 channel slopies, or Helicopters) so didn't realise down elevator would be required.

Only when I pluges the aileron into the Aux1 did i finally get Crow working.

I'ts looking like a rainy/gusty/stormy weeken so i won't be able to try my new set-up anytime soon.
Sorry Candle, I should've stated that the flap setting was the only setting that worked for me on my DX6i via the HorizonHobby site. I had to use this setting I saw off of YouTube:

So I have the Flap setting from HH and the Crow setting from Halflife82 on YouTube. I haven't messed with anything else and it works out for me. Hope the weather gets better for ya!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:10 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,279 Posts
Heres my DX6i setting up for 2 switch crow/Spoilers

DX6i set up for 2 switch crow/Spoilers
Take you Y off your Ail servo's
Plug your right Ail plug in your Ail rx port
Plug your Left Ail in AUX1
[NOTE]If when you hit your Crow switch
and 1 Ail goes up and the other down.
Switch your 2 Ail's plugs on your RX.

Flap Y Harness is in the gear Channel.

Flap Menu
FLAP ELEV
Norm 0 0
Land +50 -10( Do a few flight test to see if -10 is enough)
(What this does is when you flip your flap switch
your AIL goes up 50% and your Elev is trimmed down 10%)-So your Up Ail can be change for more Crow/Spoilers by changing the +50.

Mix 1

Aile-> Rudd ACT
Rate L +70% R +70%(70% is alot of Rudd, May be good too start @40%)
SW ELE D/R Trim ACT
(Here is my RUDD-AIL Mix on and off using my ELE D/R switch)

MIX2

Gear-->Elev ACT
Rate D 0% U+20%
SW ON Trim ACT

On the Set up page.
In the D/R COMBI option i have AILE set.
So my AIL D/R turns on/off my D/R's

Reversing
Throttle: normal
Aileron: reverse
Elevator: reverse
Rudder: reverse
Gear: reverse
Flap: reverse

[EDIT]That picture is wrong. I have AIL/RUD Mix on the Elev D/R. Not Elev/Rudd

Hope this helps anyone wanting too Program there Dx6i.
With a 6Ch TX you can only have one of extra settings at a time. I messed with reflex/Camber, But i like Crow the best. Out of the 2 others, i like reflex better then Camber.
She sure do Zip along with reflex!!! Great for covering a lot of ground in a hurry find those elusive Heat pockets...What they called again? hehe!!

I've sense added a touch of flaps down via the Sub-trim. Not much but it helps her with lift!!
Just a few mm's well be make quite the difference!!
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Jun 16, 2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:44 AM
Mobile, Alabama
Joined Feb 2004
7 Posts
I bought a Rad Pro BNF.. My Radio is ..7 Channel .. Futaba 7C- 2.4 GHz.. Fasst..
Receiver .. R617FS ..

I need to swap out Receivers out and use my set-up..
Long story, but was told my radio would work with this receiver, or mine would swap right in ... I do love the plane..
Can anyone offer any help..? Settings, etc..

Thanks for any info, Larry
Has anyone used this set-up..??

I HAVE to use this set-up.. I have been reading ALL the posts. I think I'm on page 57.
ShipBear is offline Find More Posts by ShipBear
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:36 PM
Tomball, TX
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
Radian Pro Wings Removable

Can someone tell me if the wings are supposed to be removable on the Radian Pro version?

Thanks

Stekeye
stekeye is offline Find More Posts by stekeye
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:03 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stekeye View Post
Can someone tell me if the wings are supposed to be removable on the Radian Pro version?

Thanks

Stekeye
Stock, you have a screw and 2 servo leads per wing, not that bad, most of the work is fishing leads in the pockets between the wing and fuse. Longer Y harnesses help, so you can plug them in or out outside of the plane, but there isn't a lot of Rom to stash cables and connectors. You can rig some connectors and magnets to hold them in, some have done that, making the wings simply plug in or out in a couple seconds.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:19 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
The simple answer is yes, the wings may be removed for transport. Two screws and 4 servo leads to unplug.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:02 PM
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Jun 2005
25 Posts
Radian Pro Prop issue. After about 15 flights the Pro lost all excitment to climb. Power reading showed about 115 W. replaced stock prop with DK50403 spinner and aero-naut blades from Espirt. Now the power meter read about 215 W and the pro is really excited to go up. gliding alt. in about 15 seconds. more like a E-Glider should be.

cheers from Nebraska, w0pya
w0pya is offline Find More Posts by w0pya
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:14 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
I recently completed building my Radian Pro from pieces, and got down to the flying field for a maiden late Sunday afternoon. When I got there, I realised I didn't have any wing screws, so I secured the wing using electrical tape. That worked ok, but is not a permanent fix.

That seems to be a bit of a fault with the RP. I wish they made clips or something instead of screws, just to make assembly that much quicker.

The actual maiden was a miracle. I say that because it was a miracle that it came back in one piece. As I previously said, by the time I had it completed it was late in the afternoon and I knew I shouldn't have flown in the low light, but excitement got the better of me. I suspect my trim and cg were way out of alignment, as I spent quite a while trying to stop the nose from shooting up. Combined with the low light I lost orientation at about 200ft away from me, and was accidentally doing loops. Quite scary really. Straight away I set up for a landing, but had to go round for several passes! Damn this thing doesn't like to come down at all. I over shot most of my landing attempts by a looooonnnggg way. Overall though, I'm really excited to get it back in the air when conditions are better. I love the floatyness of this plane, it's a welcome break from the warbirds and racers with a high wing loading.

Few quick questions, is the stock Rx in the RP an AR500 or is it an AR600?

Where is the cg for the RP? Think I'll mark it on the wings with a sharpie!

Does anyone know the actual measurements of the wing screws so I can buy some?
Mattvr1ck is offline Find More Posts by Mattvr1ck